Thread: Garrision Script

Default Garrision Script

Moderators: I couldn't really think of a better place to put this than right here but if it should be somewhere else (or it has already been made(i had a quick look for it but im still pretty new to the forum so could have missed it pretty easily)), feel free to move it.

And now that thats out of the way I was wondering about the garrison script. I know why its in and this isnt to see if most people think that it should be in it or not. I made this to see exactly how it works. Obviously you attack a settlement and they get some troops but I've heard that they are only supposed to appear the turn after the attack, so that if you were to attack with siege equipment and take a city without ending the turn, there wouldn't be any extra units. Mine doesn't work like this though, they spawn instantly.I'm on 2.1 btw so was this just changed in the update?

Also how is the reinforcement size determined? Is it by how long it's been since the script was last triggered, how big the attacking force is, is it pre-determined for all the settlements that use it or what?

Any replies or other questions about it would be welcome.

Default Re: Garrision Script

Hello Lemoniser,

This mod contains some information regarding the inner workings.

- By Tsarsies: Garrison Script reworked
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260059

link
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260059

Sorry, I cannot help further.

Ariaci

jinjo's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoniser View Post
    Moderators: I couldn't really think of a better place to put this than right here but if it should be somewhere else (or it has already been made(i had a quick look for it but im still pretty new to the forum so could have missed it pretty easily)), feel free to move it.

And now that thats out of the way I was wondering about the garrison script. I know why its in and this isnt to see if most people think that it should be in it or not. I made this to see exactly how it works. Obviously you attack a settlement and they get some troops but I've heard that they are only supposed to appear the turn after the attack, so that if you were to attack with siege equipment and take a city without ending the turn, there wouldn't be any extra units. Mine doesn't work like this though, they spawn instantly.I'm on 2.1 btw so was this just changed in the update?

Also how is the reinforcement size determined? Is it by how long it's been since the script was last triggered, how big the attacking force is, is it pre-determined for all the settlements that use it or what?

Any replies or other questions about it would be welcome.
    i had same events in my campaigns too, but i think it's normal
    and of course, when u attack city with siege equipment, less troops are appeared than without siege equipment. it's for me at least.

cormagus77's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by jinjo View Post
    of course, when u attack city with siege equipment, less troops are appeared than without siege equipment. it's for me at least.
    I'm not sure, but I even had the impression, that sometimes more troops come spawning in, the longer I lay siege to the settlement....

Quote Originally Posted by cormagus77 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I even had the impression, that sometimes more troops come spawning in, the longer I lay siege to the settlement....
    That is a good observation. I thought this to. My personal explenation for this is that the script will "fire"/tick, every few turns.

Let me try to explain that better, if you for the first time lay seige, a garrason will spawn. If you, for what ever reason brake the seige, and lay seige to it two turns later, no garranson will spawn. But lets say, during turn three of the second seige, new units do spawn. Then it seams that the script has a cooldown period of 5 turns and after that will fire/tick again.

Have not tested this thought, so not sure about the "cooldown period, and I might be totally wrong about this. But I am sure I had spawning during a seige.

Ariaci

thanks for your thoughts everyone. sorry its taken me so long to reply. i wish i knew exactly how it worked so that i knew how to fight it best but i guess ill just have to attack with 5 stacks at a time to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoniser View Post
    thanks for your thoughts everyone. sorry its taken me so long to reply. i wish i knew exactly how it worked so that i knew how to fight it best but i guess ill just have to attack with 5 stacks at a time to make sure.
    Well, there are some gamingly tricks that you can do.....

For instance, do not attack the settlement directly, but instead, park your army next to the settlement. Most of the time the AI will either attack you, or at the least will move some units next to your army.

Now you attack the army next to the settlement. Because of the "attack area" the units of the settlement will enter the field of battle as reinforsments. The trick is now that the goal is not only to defeat the enemy (which should be no problem as you are the attacker and preperation of your army is in full) but to destroy all. So, also capture all the routers. This way the settlement has no defenders left ond you can simple walk inside and claim it.

I know this is a bit of an exploit.........but in war and love.......

Ariaci

Quote Originally Posted by Ariaci View Post
    Well, there are some gamingly tricks that you can do.....

For instance, do not attack the settlement directly, but instead, park your army next to the settlement. Most of the time the AI will either attack you, or at the least will move some units next to your army.

Now you attack the army next to the settlement. Because of the "attack area" the units of the settlement will enter the field of battle as reinforsments. The trick is now that the goal is not only to defeat the enemy (which should be no problem as you are the attacker and preperation of your army is in full) but to destroy all. So, also capture all the routers. This way the settlement has no defenders left ond you can simple walk inside and claim it.

I know this is a bit of an exploit.........but in war and love.......

Ariaci
    haha yeah I knew about this one but so far I've only tried it once (at Umbar) and the AI brought a larger force down so i had to retreat anyway. Annoying but what are you going to do. And I think that the whole lack of fairness went out the window when they could magically make armies and money in need.

Or attack and lose some more units than you would on open field. That's what I do, sieges are supposed to be harder and so they are.
    C'mon, in anyway I think it's hardly realistic how few units you lose against the AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourk View Post
    Or attack and lose some more units than you would on open field. That's what I do, sieges are supposed to be harder and so they are.
    C'mon, in anyway I think it's hardly realistic how few units you lose against the AI.
    Thats only if your good though. I wouldnt call myself that good. I'm good enough but garrision script certainly makes it challenging for me. Which isn't a bad thing, I never said it was. I just want to understand it properly so that I can plan an attack properly

I found this thread in the sub mod forum (way back, page 15 or soemthing.......do not know what I was doing there........)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=347324

The titel is "garison script explained", looks really impressive in there..............Maybe something for you to look at.....