Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 > New Vegas

Muagan_ra's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Fallout 3 > New Vegas

To be honest, I don't really see how "being closer to the originals" is a virtue, I don't subscribe to the 'original is always better' school of criticism. Bethesda know how to make great role playing games, and it's down to them that Fallout is now experiencing this renaissance.

Anyhow, my points are being largely overlooked in favour of the above abstractions, and (in my view) undue praise for a complicated but ultimately clumsy and poorly converyed story, so I will just reiterate as concisely as I can. Fallout 3 had a more involving story, an eminently better convieved setting, much more detail, the element of chance and chaos that always kept the player on edge (unlike the cloned experience of replaying New Vegas) and is generally done with more style and aesthetic flair - which is important.

I hope Bethesda keep Obsidian away from the franchise in future. It's not like this is the first franchise that's been put on the backstep by Obsidian - need I invoke the utter folly that was Neverwinter Nights 2?

What's happened is that Bethesda probably wanted to make an earner off the back of Fallout 3, which is no bad thing, but being preoccupied with a much more valuable project (TES V) delegated the task to a company not nearly as capable as they are.
    Last edited by Muagan_ra; February 16, 2011 at 09:53 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Muagan_ra View Post
    To be honest, I don't really see how "being closer to the originals" is a virtue, I don't subscribe to the 'original is always better' school of criticism. Bethesda know how to make great role playing games, and it's down to them that Fallout is now experiencing this renaissance.
    Closer to the spirit of how the original seems like a positive thing.

If not, why buy the Fallout IP at all?

Anyhow, my points are being largely overlooked in favour of the above abstractions, and (in my view) undue praise for a complicated but ultimately clumsy and poorly converyed story, so I will just reiterate as concisely as I can. Fallout 3 had a more involving story, an eminently better convieved setting, much more detail, the element of chance and chaos that always kept the player on edge (unlike the cloned experience of replaying New Vegas) and is generally done with more style and aesthetic flair - which is important.
    They haven't been overlooked, but your points are all based on taste and we disagree with you. I thought Fallout 3 had an alright story but it was bland and simplistic. NV's setting was much better for me because it was more believable and felt like a real world, plus it stuck accurately to the political environment laid out by the originals.

I hope Bethesda keep Obsidian away from the franchise in future. It's not like this is the first franchise that's been put on the backstep by Obsidian - need I invoke the utter folly that was Neverwinter Nights 2?
    I wouldn't count on it, New Vegas has sold quite well.

And need I invoke the greatness that was NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer? Easily the best expansion pack from ANY neverwinter nights game.

What's happened is that Bethesda probably wanted to make an earner off the back of Fallout 3, which is no bad thing, but being preoccupied with a much more valuable project (TES V) delegated the task to a company not nearly as capable as they are.
    They aren't as capable at engine creation perhaps, but when given all the tools Obsidian is clearly better at storytelling.

Keep in mind that many people in Obsidian (including the CEO, senior designer/COO, and Project director for NV) were actually involved with the design of the original Fallout games.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I felt Fallout NV was a much better game, despite my copy suffering dearly from game breaking bugs and CTDS (possibly due to overloading of mods ). I'll just say this, when I first went and killed Mr. House, I genuinely felt kinda bad about it. I never got any feeling like that when playing F3.

mrcrusty's Avatar Primicerius

Both games have their strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I feel that Bethesda were able to make a much more stylistic and immersive gameworld whereas Obsidian made a far more cohesive one.

Mix Bethesda's art department with Obsidian's writing department and then you've got magic.

Seriously though, what's this about Fallout 3's story being better?

I cannot possibly see how on earth Fallout 3's story (which isn't that bad compared to many games) is considered better than Fallout: New Vegas' story?

I mean, New Vegas hardly has the best story in a video game ever, but unless a perfect 10 = Hollywood action movie, complete with logical flaws and plotholes, it is superior to Fallout 3's plot.

Citizen

I'll lay out some things about Fallout 3

1) No farming, no industry. All the food seemed to be 200 year old packaged snack food and all the guns & ammo are pre-war antiques. This makes habitation of the region unsustainable. Also there were like 20 raiders for every civilian, who did they raid exactly? The slavers at paradise falls were also dumb. Nobody grew anything or made anything, who bought the slaves?

2) Who the hell is Talon company? They look like a mercenary company but what do they do? All I've seen them do is fight battles of attrition against super mutants for control of useless buildings and kill/pay someone to kill nice people. I hope I don't have to explain why that's not a well thought out business strategy. They are so well equipped for such an undeveloped and chaotic area, I don't see what they could possibly even be doing in the Capitol Wasteland.

3) Well maintained electricity everywhere. No long paragraph about this one, it just didn't make sense.

4) The ghouls were wrong, the ratio of intelligent to feral was completely off. Seemed like there were 20-30 times as many ferals as there were intelligent ghouls, while in Fallout 1 & 2 there were more intelligent ghouls than feral. They also depicted feral ghouls incorrectly as well, it's not an all or nothing thing between intelligent ghoul and mindless animal, it was more of a scale. Even completely feral ghouls would sometimes say broken sentences and would use simple melee weapons like knives and crowbards (although they did attack on sight). Feral ghouls should have been more like the knife wielding ghoulified NCR troops from Searchlight, but I guess that wouldn't have been scary enough, and Beth didn't really care about being true to the IP they purchased.

5) Things copied directly from Fallout 1 & 2 without any thought put into why they should be there. You might think this would make people who liked the originals happy, but not when they just add stuff that could be explained in the originals but isn't in the new ones. Radscorpions for example. Why are there scorpions in Washington DC?

Super mutants, while being a lame copy that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, are at least explained as a completely different type of mutant from the Master's army, but Centaurs don't make sense to be there because they were pretty much specific to the Master's army.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I'll lay out some things about Fallout 3

1) No farming, no industry. All the food seemed to be 200 year old packaged snack food and all the guns & ammo are pre-war antiques. This makes habitation of the region unsustainable. Also there were like 20 raiders for every civilian, who did they raid exactly? The slavers at paradise falls were also dumb. Nobody grew anything or made anything, who bought the slaves?
    Its annoying that fans have to come up with possible answers to these questions, but at least its fun to try and make up stuff for things to make sense.

The Capital wasteland probably bordered regions that did have farming and towns, weras the Capital wasteland only had hunter/gatherer/scavenger camps at best, it was probably trade with these theoretical outside regions that sustained people. Also, I guess you can wright off the Raider to civilian ratio as just a game play mechanic.

However, there is a ingame explanation for who bought the slaves, its mentioned in the Pitt DLC that Paradise falls is where they get lots of their slaves.

2) Who the hell is Talon company? They look like a mercenary company but what do they do? All I've seen them do is fight battles of attrition against super mutants for control of useless buildings and kill/pay someone to kill nice people. I hope I don't have to explain why that's not a well thought out business strategy. They are so well equipped for such an undeveloped and chaotic area, I don't see what they could possibly even be doing in the Capitol Wasteland.
    My guess is they were hired to take down the mutants, and I hated the "kill nice people" bit.

3) Well maintained electricity everywhere. No long paragraph about this one, it just didn't make sense.

True, its stupid.

5) Things copied directly from Fallout 1 & 2 without any thought put into why they should be there. You might think this would make people who liked the originals happy, but not when they just add stuff that could be explained in the originals but isn't in the new ones. Radscorpions for example. Why are there scorpions in Washington DC?

Its explained somewhere (maybe the game guide?) that the Scorpions are from pet stores before the war. I guess that works as an explanation.

Super mutants, while being a lame copy that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, are at least explained as a completely different type of mutant from the Master's army, but Centaurs don't make sense to be there because they were pretty much specific to the Master's army.
    Centaurs are from the FEV too, so no, it does make sense.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by James the Red View Post
    Its annoying that fans have to come up with possible answers to these questions, but at least its fun to try and make up stuff for things to make sense.

The Capital wasteland probably bordered regions that did have farming and towns, weras the Capital wasteland only had hunter/gatherer/scavenger camps at best, it was probably trade with these theoretical outside regions that sustained people. Also, I guess you can wright off the Raider to civilian ratio as just a game play mechanic.
    What do people of the CW have to trade?

However, there is a ingame explanation for who bought the slaves, its mentioned in the Pitt DLC that Paradise falls is where they get lots of their slaves.
    I'm sure they sold some slaves to Ashur, but Pittsburgh is 200 miles from DC.

Centaurs are from the FEV too, so no, it does make sense.
    Western FEV was different from eastern (there are many kinds, almost everyone in the wasteland has a variant of FEV in fact).

Centaurs were made by deliberate experimentation by the master with humans, dogs and god knows what else. Eastern mutants are stupid as hell and don't seem to big on scientific experimentation. It's possible that the Centaurs could have been developed independently in both places, but it's so unlikely it might as well be impossible.
    ttt

Cannibalking's Avatar Biarchus

I still haven't played New Vegas, but I really want to. What's all your ratings? Out of 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalking View Post
    I still haven't played New Vegas, but I really want to. What's all your ratings? Out of 10?
    4 out of 10

Citizen

9 out of 10
    ttt

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalking View Post
    6/10. I'd give F3 9/10.

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

Obsidian's doctrine of 'MOAARRR' just doesn't work this time around I'm afraid. The issue that distinguishes good games from fantastic games is tone and atmosphere in my opinion, and New Vegas doesn't add anything worth your time gameplay wise, while denigrating itself in terms of immersion.

Usually I'm not the type of person who'd down criticise a game for it's lack of originality but after spending hours upon hours playing Fallout 3, New Vegas just doesn't hold the same attraction. The amount of bugs is also an obvious downside. I can't really argue my point sufficiently here, I just didn't 'feel' NV in the same way I did F3.

Civitate

I would give both games 8/10 but for entirely different reasons. In the end, New Vegas is good for the same reason that the original Falout games were good, FO3 is good for completely different reasons, which is why i found the barrage of "New Vegas just an expansion pack lol" reviews from major game sites and magazines just baffling.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

8.5/10 for F3 and 8/10 for NV. Comparing New Vegas to the original doesn't seem fair. Two years ago F3 blew me away with how fun it was but all Obsidian did was give a more believable story really. Even then I didn't think it was up to much. The lustre of F3 had worn off for me too much to award NV a higher score. I mean it's been more than two years and NV was the best the masters of mediocrity Obsidian could come up with? psst.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Civitate

Mediocrity is the last word I'd use to describe Obsidian. I have lots of words, some good and some bad, but not mediocrity.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Muagan_ra's Avatar Senator

7/10

It's fun, but, you won't find the kind of stylistic flair those familiar with FO:3 would expect. It simply isn't there, even the ending just fails to impress. If you asked me to summarise the game, I'd say that it's an open-ended action roleplaying game, but only open ended within a narrow scope, because ultimately it is very story driven and as a consequence does not have as much replayability as you may have been lead to believe.

Pros : Balanced gameplay, violence, lots of options...
    Cons : Bland surroundings, unimaginative, small.

You like violence, lots of it? Looking for a decision driven story? You'll like it, you'll enjoy it, but for a limited time only.

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

I'd give NV a 7/10, for a veteran Fallout player like me, this game is probably the best sequel to Fallout since 2 because it actually feels like the Fallout I know and love. NV lost the 3 points because I feel Obsidian could have done more.
    As soon as I finish importing all of Moira Brown out of FO3 and into NV, I'll probably join the rest pre-FO3 fans in the NMA and act like FO3 never existed.
    Yeah, yeah, I'm a fanboy I know.
    Last edited by NightEye; February 21, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

90% of the people in this thread are really overthinking. They were fun video games to play.

I didn't find NV fun at all.. it felt like a chore. The graphics were so bad and the atmosphere so.. non-existent that I gave up on it long before finishing it. It also felt childish.. obviously it's not taking itself seriously which is stupid for a post-apocalyptic game. F3 is closer to metro/stalker than NV.. it's like obsidian ruined all the hard work bethesda put into the franchise to make it good.

Franchise was good before F3, then it went down to average.

Now obsidian have given it a nice bumb upwards. To me it was pretty much what F3 should have been.

Also, F3 had its silly and "childish" moments which do not fit in ah, so depressive post-apocalyptic games like metro/stalker, I mean, it had THIS. Best part of the game btw. That was a true Fallout moment. But most of the time, compared to predecessors and NV, F3 was just not that much fun.

NV's graphics worse than F3's? Looks identical to me.

You trollin bro?
    Last edited by HansDuet; February 21, 2011 at 07:54 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast