Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Who's still playing?

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: Who's still playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    I, too, have found myself returning to my old favourite, MTW. I really can't think of any other game that captures the dark, perplexing spirit of the Middle Ages (and their wars) so well. Maybe one day, CA will release the source code (not likely, but much hoped for) and someone with a true love of the game will elevate it to something truly mind-blowing. For the time being, the MTW modding community is far from dead––only witness Gollum's Caravel Mod and Axalon's Redux. There are countless reasons to still be playing MTW. Pick one.
    Huge number of units and epic battles. That's a great reason to be playing MTW.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Im trying to play MTW but my CD 1 broke need to buy another one soon or ill die of boredom
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by stormer View Post
    Im trying to play MTW but my CD 1 broke need to buy another one soon or ill die of boredom
    Assuming you're playing 1.1 vanilla––why not get the Viking Invasion expansion (Amazon?) and waste no time downloading one of the fine mods available on this forum!

EDIT: My, but it doesn't come cheap, does it?
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...vasion&x=0&y=0
    Last edited by Cyprian2; June 06, 2011 at 09:03 PM.

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

MTW is still a favorite of mine and I play it occasionally, its such a great game that its worth coming back to..No other TW game has gotten me so intrigued over a campaign or the fate of a certain king or dynasty etc, RTW and subsequent TW games imo never really reached that level..
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Odd's Bodkins! I thought I was posting in the MTWII forum!

Sorry lads, carry on!
    Last edited by Good ole Reb; June 07, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Of course I'm still playing it's my favorite TW game to date.

VI is on amazon for £0.01 used ordered.
    My mate cant play MTW on his pc so i got his copy
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

ImperialAquila's Avatar Domesticus

Still Playing. I just can't throw away classics from my PC.

Rolling back my graphics drivers now means no more ctd...

Which means I've been playing mtw alot.

Quote Originally Posted by HUtH View Post
    Probably this fix helps(unless you have it):
    http://rapidshare.com/#!download|267l32|115211547|MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip|1
    'button_ipnext.BIF' and 'button_ipprev.BIF' - you need to paste this files over old ones in "<your med folder>\campmap\buttons".

Hi, that link does not work any more. Is there another one? I need to get MTW working

Im sorry, but what mechanics does this game offer that Rome doesn't? I don't mean to be offensive at all, I am actually very curious. Also why are there mods being made for this game? How many units can the engine support?

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Caesar Germanicus View Post
    Im sorry, but what mechanics does this game offer that Rome doesn't? I don't mean to be offensive at all, I am actually very curious.
    All I can say, really, is that you'll have to try the game to understand. For one thing, it has a vastly different interface and gameplay than RTW. Battles are not 3D in the way they are in the later engines. That said, they have a tactical and strategic edge that the later games (starting with RTW) seem to lack. For one thing, battles have much more "weight" to them. In fact, losing a single battle can prove utterly disastrous to your empire (as was often the case in history), while in RTW, and the later *SEGA* games, it just means you have to spawn more stacks, with no real sense of the consequences of defeat.

Many find everything about MTW's AI superior to that of later engines (especially Rome's). As a long-time player of several Total War titles, I'd have to agree. For one thing, diplomacy works much better, and is more logical, in MTW. Enemies will actually accept, or offer, a ceasefire when it makes sense to do so––as opposed to Rome's AI, which often seems determined to fight to the death no matter what. Also, there isn't all the nonsense of having to destroy each and every stack of units spawned by the AI. Playing RTW, I got tired of having to defeat a dozen stacks thrown at me, one after the other, within a single turn. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to such behaviour by the AI except: "Steamroll! Steamroll!" In MTW, battles take place on the Provincial level, are often massive, and epic. The AI will strategically position its units on bordering provinces and hit you with a massive invasion when you least expect it. This keeps the player on his/her toes, whereas the RTW style of play just gets boring. As those who started with Shogun Total War will attest, the later games never came close to touching the original Activision titles as far as gameplay goes.

Also why are there mods being made for this game?
    Well, to be honest, aside from a couple of talented stalwarts, the modding community has really dropped off. It's a shame, but to be expected with any game that's over ten years old! That said, if you're seriously curious, there are some great Roman/classical era mods still available for download! With a name like Caesar Germanicus Nero, I'm sure you'd appreciate these!

How many units can the engine support?
    I'm assuming you mean on the battle map? Theoretically, it can support up to 64 units at one time, though maybe more. Someone else who frequents these forums will know better than me.

Finally, I'd just like to say that those of us who still play MTW are not as keen on graphics (though these are passable for a game of MTW's vintage) as we are on gameplay, atmosphere, and the real sense that you are at the helm of a medieval nation.

Hope that helps!

Just brought the Gold edition for a squid, installing now.....really excited!!!

Still playing, using mods "MTW XL" it is great

Its great game. Much better than any other later Total Wars game(compared vanilia games).
    It have some great mods like Pike&Musket or XL.
    Great game. I wish for remake. Better graphic better UI more options and better AI.
    "Its a GUNDAM!"
    "Nope. This is Polish Winged Cavalry."

Bozzy73uk's Avatar Libertus

Yeah still playing med 2 got a good campaign going as the danes fighting a hard holy war with the mongels.

mehzel's Avatar Civis

ME! currently about 3 quarter way through world domination with the Aragonese.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzy73uk View Post
    Yeah still playing med 2 got a good campaign going as the danes fighting a hard holy war with the mongels.
    Hehe I also started a campaign with the Danes.
    I just hate starting with big empires. Also: Vikings!

Got a pretty intense game going so far. Captured Norway and Sweden, decided to try and get Pomerania with my King, 2 Princes, 2 Chivalric Sergeants and 2 Vikings only to have 2 full rebel stacks spawn.
    Found out the hard way that I need a port to get back to Denmark without starting a war with Germany so I took my chances and went east to Prussia. After taking it one full rebel stack spawned and to my surprise I beat them decisively. Went east still into Lithuania, had 2 rebel stacks spawn(one after another luckily), beat them, decided to storm the castle since I wouldn´t have been able to beat another stack and finally controlled Lithuania, with maybe 200 men left, the original king died(of old age though) and 2 of by now 3 princes dead.
    Mustered some forces together and here we are:

Difficulty is "hard", didn´t dare to take "expert". Does difficulty only change strat map stuff or does it also give the enemy units boni?
    Last edited by Medieval PossuM; August 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Hi there!

The

http://rapidshare.com/#%21download%7C267l32%7C115211547%7CMTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip%7C1]

is not available anymore. Is there another working link or can somebody send me a copy of the files?

Thank you in advance!

Hi

Playing Almohads in latest version of Gollum's Caravel mod.

Things very much going to plan. The Turks have pretty much collapsed in the face of a Byzantine re-appearance (I credit my spy, Jamil Bondi, with that one.), a successful French crusade to Antioch and, most significantly, a fourteen stack Mongol invasion.

I am picking off those lucrative Levant provinces at my leisure.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace