Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: Who's still playing?

Quote Originally Posted by HezrodtheMighty View Post
    MTW SS 6.4!
    That's M2TW Stainless Steel I believe.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

i admit i was confused about that when i read it
    -never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right-

-Azimov

I have started playing it again about a week or so ago. Since I am a huge TW fan and was so exited about the new Shogun 2 TW but as fate would have it,my graphics card died up on me.
    I tried to quench my Shogun 2 TW's thirst by watching other people doing "Let's Plays" of it. When after a week of bitter longing I couldn't take it any more,I decided to revisit the Medieval 2 TW,which my built in VGA card(after much choking & coughing) managed to run.

I am currently playing as Scotland and loving every moment of it. I am also uploading it to you-tube in my first ever Let's Play.

If anyone wants to check it out,here it is:http://www.youtube.com/user/kakababu007

Installed Shogon 1 last month and I must say what a great game it still is. Spurned me onto finally get MTW atlast but it has a tendency to crash quite often on XP so I bit the bullet and bought MW2TW as well. After playing M1TW I realise what is missing in RTW.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Dear all M2TW posters in general…

By all means love your M2TW as much as you want (if you must) but please –
    just don’t do it here. It is virtual sacrilege… And it is the wrong section too…

- A

Ordered the pre-release Shogun2 and have been playing for ~2weeks. Pretty well done, I must say, especially the ai, which--surprisingly--is quite ok. This is probably because like Shogun1, it has roughly the same number of unit types to deal with. So it's very much reccommended!

The strategic ai does cheat--it gets extra koku; but puts up a pretty good fight. The way to beat it:
    Tactically: use high ground, flanking--the usual TW approaches.
    Strategically: use castles as 'traps' for enemy assaults. Bow ashigaru (5-6), plus 1-2 spear ashigaru, plus 1 general or light cavalry (to wipe out routed units) will make virtually any human-defended castle impregnable even into the late game. Use your full-stack field army to make conquests...while your key front-line garrisons do just as much killing..My guess is the first patch will make enemies more likely to starve you out = big jump in difficulty.
    Economically: Quickly take 10-11 provinces and fully develop them economically and militarily--have a few military provinces, the rest economic; so you can both produce and afford the late game units. If you take more than ~15 provinces (early game) or ~12 (late) v.well developed provinces, the entire nation DOW's you..trade income dries up..it sucks if you're not ready for it with a beefy income stream. Send trade fleets (4 trade ships each) to the foreign trade sites if at all possible (i.e. if Shimazu, Mori, etc.); but keep all your warships in a single reaction force if Wako, etc. attack them.

But the pace of STW2 is much slower than Shogun, and it's cpu-hungry to the max..but it does use some modified sound tracks from the original, and retains the best flavors of the original. The Devs have done full justice to STW with this latest release. Thank God!

But STW-Warlord Edition is still a classic that works magnificently. The only reason STW2 works so well is that the Devs copied so much of the original into the tarted up sequel
    Last edited by Hieronymos; April 12, 2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Dear all M2TW posters in general…

By all means love your M2TW as much as you want (if you must) but please –
    just don’t do it here. It is virtual sacrilege… And it is the wrong section too…

- A

This is just epic.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Testament to Shogun1 and MTW1 as good games is that even without the latest 3d graphics they are still capable of letting suspend your disbelief and get you engrossed in their worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    Testament to Shogun1 and MTW1 as good games is that even without the latest 3d graphics they are still capable of letting suspend your disbelief and get you engrossed in their worlds.
    Indeed

The atmosphere and the music are priceless. I still love it when I discover some new unit I haven't seen before, epic battles and lots of great mods to choose from.

MTW is king.

Well, my answer is no at the moment, but...

I haven't been posting since Empire came out. Respecting Empire, this is my last TW title, at least CA won't give me my money back.
    I just wanted to say hello to every Medieval Total War fan, and sincerely admit that:

I love Medieval Total War!

The best TW ever (although EB is a masterpiece).

I bought Ati card to avoid known Geforce battle bug, but I still suffer from a 3-5 minutes loading times beetwen battle-campaign.
    If someone finds a way to deal with it, should be nominated to a Nobel Price. I hope that day will come (or I will just buy next PC )
    Waiting for Europa Barbarorum II...

I love Medieval Total War.

I bought an old laptop specifically so I could keep playing MTW. No internet, so no multiplayer, but I never did that anyway. I have an awesome book I made using strategy guides (thank you frogbeastegg!!) for it.

MTW - I can say it's my most favorite turn-based strategy game ever. Even though the game is such an oldie one by it still inspires in me so many interesting feelings which I can't archive with later Total War editions. Sometime the game just turns into a real nuisance (Yeah! - CTD after a long time non-saved playing) - but Ctrl F5 is sufficient here . Anyway, MTW will be an important part in my game collection years to come!

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Laserg View Post
    I bought Ati card to avoid known Geforce battle bug, but I still suffer from a 3-5 minutes loading times beetwen battle-campaign.
    If someone finds a way to deal with it, should be nominated to a Nobel Price. I hope that day will come (or I will just buy next PC )
    Dang I'm having that same bug! I just posted a thread about it.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by archmonde11 View Post
    MTW - I can say it's my most favorite turn-based strategy game ever. Even though the game is such an oldie one by it still inspires in me so many interesting feelings which I can't archive with later Total War editions. Sometime the game just turns into a real nuisance (Yeah! - CTD after a long time non-saved playing) - but Ctrl F5 is sufficient here . Anyway, MTW will be an important part in my game collection years to come!
    Score another one for an MTW fan, so I guess it's not only a couple of people still playing it.

CTRL + S quicksaves for me, makes sure that everything's up to notch whenever I work out on my empire.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Any idea if it's going to work on my laptop with an integrated video card on W7?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

handsome pete's Avatar Centenarius

It depends on how crap your video card.

My solution to this problem was to remove my video card and never quick save in between battles. It works very well, quick load times, no CTD.

Any suggestions for how I can get the quick saves in between battle to work?

So far I've tried the campaign button fix with no success. I can't remember how to lower windows memory use. Also how do you stop anisotropic filtering?
    Last edited by handsome pete; May 12, 2011 at 04:24 AM.

w.wallace61's Avatar Civis

Add me to the list After having 3 or 4 years of downloading Med2 mods to make that game less boring I met my old friend ''Med'' After some hours I found myself thinking '' why did I dump that crazy fun mate''.. Now I deleted all Med2 to files never to return to it again

Annnd have a couple of crazy hours with the old friend 'med'

I, too, have found myself returning to my old favourite, MTW. I really can't think of any other game that captures the dark, perplexing spirit of the Middle Ages (and their wars) so well. Maybe one day, CA will release the source code (not likely, but much hoped for) and someone with a true love of the game will elevate it to something truly mind-blowing. For the time being, the MTW modding community is far from dead––only witness Gollum's Caravel Mod and Axalon's Redux. There are countless reasons to still be playing MTW. Pick one.

I just discovered Broken Crescent v2.3 mod for M2TW, which does a decent job of capturing much of the spirit of MTW. Since my crap Nvidia card prevents me from actually playing MTW, BrokenCrescent is as close as I'll get.