Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Who's still playing?

Default Re: Who's still playing?

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    hmm..from a playability perspective the game is still solid, from a graphical side of things its too outdated to capture my attention. Not when we have MTW2 & Kingdoms which is the upgrade!
    I have to agree with this. The original Medieval probably had the best gameplay of all the TW games from what I remember. But the graphics do seem outdated. If only the soldiers were more than just sprites... And also, I think the vast provinces on the campaign map make it too easy to expand your empire. I like to role play somewhat, and play within reasonable historical parameters. In order to do so, a lot of the time I would have to remain inactive for hundreds of turns! It feels silly when your Polish army is crusading in France and England each campaign...

EDIT: I've also grown accustomed to the damn RTS camera of RTW and its successors. I think the TW camera is superior, but I'd have to spend a lot of time to get used to the old version again!
    Last edited by atheniandp; February 23, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

I just got MTW. I love it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And don't Call me Shirley!

Quote Originally Posted by Cae View Post
    I just got MTW. I love it.
    Nice to hear there are still converts after all these years. Well, it's never too late.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

I hope people are still playing seeming as I wrote a guide for amazon for mtw. I still really enjoy mtw1

Just got a new Win7 rig, loaded up MTW, and no dice, immediate ctd.
    Won't work in compatibility mode either...
    Does MTW not work in anything after WinXP?

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymos View Post
    Won't work in compatibility mode either...
    Does MTW not work in anything after WinXP?
    I have no issues with the OS but NVIDIA graphic cards are notorious for causing ctd with MTW. Try to get some really old drivers or get a ATI card if thatīs the case.

What Clos du Mesnil said. It's usually not a problem with Win 7, but with your video card. Good luck!
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymos View Post
    If it's immediate ctd I think it maybe a problem with video codecs (intro).

1st create empty txt file in game folder named: skipcredits.txt (it'll disable intro and other videos).
    2nd apply this fix - put it into main game folder and unzip. It should help with campaign start ctd.

It should make you get to the campaign map at least. Battles are not guaranteed.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

After I lot of research of my root MTW:VI directory I had realised how easy it is to edit it. Its even easier than RTW! Why no one in nowadays make mods for this great mod? Im still a beggineer player at it but is very goood. Only the size of the map is a little dissapointment but I can live with that.

MTW:VI ROCKS!!!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

VI rocks, even more so with mods.

All hail XL Mod!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Was playing a few rounds of Shogun the other day. I am thinking of trying out MTW as it is the only game in the series that I have yet to play.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingOfSixth View Post
    Was playing a few rounds of Shogun the other day. I am thinking of trying out MTW as it is the only game in the series that I have yet to play.
    Hi

In which case you are leaving the best 'till last.

Enjoy.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

I still play Shogun alot. And MTW I would but it doesnt run on windows 7 *sigh* Shogun its so fun to max out all armies and play on Nagato. That map is so balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebenkeck View Post
    I still play Shogun alot. And MTW I would but it doesnt run on windows 7 *sigh* Shogun its so fun to max out all armies and play on Nagato. That map is so balanced.
    If Shogun runs ok then Medieval should also run with the "button fix": http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...h-End-Cards%29

It's the mark of a great game when people are still playing after almost ten years. Like Xcom on the PC - which if you haven't heard is to be remade. Sorry for the off topic.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    It's the mark of a great game when people are still playing after almost ten years. Like Xcom on the PC - which if you haven't heard is to be remade. Sorry for the off topic.
    Hi

X-COM Apocalypse to be re-made! Well, on the one hand that was one GREAT effing game! (I think I still have the original box+manual+disks on my 'hall of fame shelf' in the spare room.

On the other hand, what're the odds the remake will be all eye candy and crap AI, like so much that is being published these days? A poor remake would tarnish a great legacy.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Sicknero's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Xebenkeck View Post
    I still play Shogun alot. And MTW I would but it doesnt run on windows 7 *sigh*
    MTW1 runs fine for me on x64 W7. Wonder what the difference is..?
    "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Clos du Mesnil View Post
    I have no issues with the OS but NVIDIA graphic cards are notorious for causing ctd with MTW. Try to get some really old drivers or get a ATI card if thatīs the case.
    Or if your motherboard has integrated graphics, try using that? I've heard of other modern kit being unable to run older games because of graphics issues like this.
    "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

For me STW works perfect in Win 7 32 bit, but with MTW I have some little problems.... Every possible patch and fix is installed but for some reason I have the same problems. Very strange and too bad that CA don't care about this games anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiBG View Post
    For me STW works perfect in Win 7 32 bit, but with MTW I have some little problems.... Every possible patch and fix is installed but for some reason I have the same problems. Very strange and too bad that CA don't care about this games anymore...
    How odd. I just installed it and did nothing to make it work. What happens when you try to run it?

If you don't mind the hassle, it might well run in VirtualBox, as long as it's not your GPU causing the problem. Might even still work then, not sure though as I never tried it myself.