Thread: The most Historically destructive aspect of NTW

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

Default The most Historically destructive aspect of NTW

All the TW games actually:

The In-Game 'RADAR'.

Now many people have opinions on the usefullness or just how darn handy it may be...but really folks, if there is one thing that totally destroys many aspects of battle tactics for both sides (especially in MP play) it's this CA constant throughout all the TW games. The Radar destroys any chance you have of making suprise attacks or flanking hoping your opponent has not seen the move including the setting up of ambushes. It's also a 'greedy' aid in chasing down fleeing foes and has no place whatsoever in ancient/medieval or Napoleonic wargaming.

Personally I think it would be a great idea for ALL the 'MOD overhauls', to erase it from all our screens.

However, no doubt players have their own reasons for wanting to keep it. Perhaps it's just something players have gotten used too and they have not even tried playing without it! If not - may I take this oppurtunity to strongly advise they do try it, because I know they will find their battles refreshingly appealing; especially of course in MP play.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: The most Historically destructive aspect of NTW

I think it is useful, but the problem is not really there.

When you start a battle, you can immediately move the camera to see the ennemy unit on the other side of the map, even if you should not be able to see it.

Unit disappear only when they can hide.

Actually, units should appear on the main screen, or on the radar, only when they are in the line of sight of one of your units (and not hidden). Then, the radar would be nice just to move quickly the camera.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

CA has forseen people having issues with the above mentioned features,thus the ability to turn off the radar and restrict the camera so as to not be able to view the enemy army across the field.I do both of these things for the immersion and reality of the fog of war effect.This is an easy fix on the users part

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

But can a player Host an MP game and force the Radar to be OFF for both players. I think they should.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I don't think it's a perfect solution. I would like to have the radar for fast moving of the camera on the battlefield, but I'd like to see on it only my units, and the ennemy units actually seen by one pf my units.

Its always been in total war I think, plus just imagine its the guy in the baloon in the background with a telescope

NTW3 has apparently figured out how to create fog of war on the battle map. No idea how though....

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

ACW: The Blue and Grey has it too and to get fog of war you have enable hidden while moving and replace the crouch animation with the normal animations so they are walking normally.

Quote Originally Posted by flopsies View Post
    Its always been in total war I think, plus just imagine its the guy in the baloon in the background with a telescope
    only napoleon has balloons. and no, the observer would still have to relay the message to the general so anything you see on the 'radar' would have to be delayed by some time. and that's not practical at all.

your imagination needs some more work.