Thread: Ntw Tactics - Doing it Guerrilla Style

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Default Ntw Tactics - Doing it Guerrilla Style

Starring

Warning: This guide will have a narrative so to speak, and that narrative is meant to be humorous and not at all derogitory to the reader. If you have been through or know about military training then you will get what this is trying to parody. Thank you....Now get off your computer chair and give me 30 dirtbag! You call those pushups you little Internet Geek!
    Being Guerrilla

Being Guerrilla…
    OK armchair generals! You think you have what it takes to be ‘guerrilla leader’ for the Spanish Faction in the Peninsular Campaign for Napoleon Total War. Well we’ll see won’t we? First thing you need to do is put the jelly doughnut down and listen up hero! Now, this Guide will be divided up in to a three part series on instructions of the art of the ambush. You are going to learn a brief history….and I mean brief, the types and formations and practical applications for each formation in the three part series. Now don’t click out of here yet ‘desk jockey!’ We have a lot in store, and you might even learn a bit!

Just in case you have no clue what an ambush is I will introduce you to the term. Ambush is a very old military tactic in which the attackers (the ambushing force) use concealment from terrain to attack a passing or a temporarily halted enemy. The attackers in ambush strike from their concealed positions. They may attack from high ridges, dense underbrush, behind large boulders, or just about anywhere that may offer a good chance for the tactic to play out. Ambushes have been used since the beginning of warfare to present day. Usually, this tactic is employed when a direct fight is not desirable.

Now since this is just a computer game and limited to the intelligence of the gaming engine we will be at the mercy of the machine. However, we can still implement the ambush tactics, just not to its fullest. So now on your feet...or rather in your chair and listen up dirt bags! First you need to know which units are guerrilla and you probably know which are not. That does not mean you cannot implement the tactics that means you just cannot place them anywhere on the battle map like the 'guerrilla units.'

We will be first mention again, in case you had your fingers in your ears and didn't hear, about the Spanish faction's guerrilla units which are Tiradores (skirmishers), Cazadores, Lanceros (lancer cavalry), Husares (guerrilla hussars), and guerrilla leaders (generals). Now unfortunately we will only be using the infantry Tiradores and Cazadores in this episode. I know you are probably crying your little eyes out, but get over it and carry on!

Now there are two classifications of ambushes: (Borrowed from the U.S. Army Ranger Handbook)

1)Hasty - The ambushing force moves quickly to concealed positions. The ambush is not initiated until the majority of the enemy is in the kill zone (the area designated in the ambush that the enemy most likely will pass and giving the ambushing effort maximum effect). The unit does not become decisively engaged. The attacking force surprises the enemy. The attacking force captures, kills, or forces a withdrawal of the enemy in the kill zone.
    2)Deliberate - The ambush is emplaced at designated time. The ambush surprises the enemy and engages the main body. The ambushing force captures or kills all enemy forces in the kill zone.

The three basic formations are Linear, L-shaped, and V-shaped. We will be going over first Linear. It's pretty simple as our method will be KISS...keep it simple stupid. This will be our creed. Less is best understood...hurrahh!

The Linear Ambush: Episode 1

A Linear ambush is like it sounds. A rather straight line indeed. All firing units will be equal distance to the kill zone. Normally there would be security elements on both flanks and rear. We are in a virtual world so we cannot sub divide our units. So moving on we will see how to properly lay an ambush in the Peninsular Campaign of NTW! Now 'puffballs,' look at the concept of a Linear Ambush here for those that need everything drawn out for them.

You see the pretty diagram 'jelly bellies?' Well we cannot achieve all of that above with the NTW battle engine, but it can be our Inspiration!

First you may want to know that on Deployment Phase, you can only move the Guerrilla Units wherever you want on the map. You cannot have it both ways. You can see here that the 2 units are Guerrilla type and the other are regular line and grenadier units. The Guerrilla will be what we call Suppressing (Support) Force and the line units are the Assault Force. Why you ask? Because Guerrilla units are poor assaulting force. So you can see the Assault Force is moving to their disclosed position.

Now you can see the enemy force is trying to locate their supposed pray. They are an equal force of French Line 360 men versus 360 Spanish mixed line and guerrilla. Even though you are limited you can still keep security a factor. You the player must act as the security and know what is going on your 'battle map.' Also the stakes or chevaux de frise are good for slowing down infantry but that is about it. They are better against cavalry since they kill horses and all that. Secure your avenues of approach that are not connected to the 'kill zone.' Remember the key to a successful ambush is like home purchasing...location! location! location!

These 2 line units take a route right up to the 'kill zone' as you will see in a moment. Now you will be guided on the pics then I will follow up on the end. Got it? Good!

Now the key factor in the ambush is coordination between Assault and Suppressing Forces. Remember to be sure you are not firing on friendlies! Also, don't use the light units for the assaulting if all possible. Next you will see a simple rinse and repeat almost go wrong!

Assault Force is reforming while the Suppressing Force is forming up to suppress the last effective enemy unit.

All seems to be going splendid doesn't it?

Well look again hero! The player Old Dragoon bought the farm, and almost caused his 'assault force' to route. Patience is key in using your Suppressing Force. Timing is everything. A little more suppressing might have saved Old Dragoon, but least it was a good death eh?

Despite those shenanigans the boys managed to fight through and route those French chaps!

Always remember to finish off those routed units that reappear. Never neglect 'em! I guarantee they won't forget about you!

You can see it was a pretty good effort. The French units were soundly thrashed with just a few remaining. This is the war of attrition. This what it is to be guerrilla! Time, patience etc. which are key to a successful and enjoyable Spanish campaign. Now you might even find the small battles worthy with some good 'ol ambushin.'

In this first episode I hope you learned the basics of a Linear Ambush as well as the art of the Ambush. The goal is to have fun and learn something new. Now give me 30 dirt bag! And then10 more for good measure and all that...

Default Re: Doing it Guerrilla Style...

great stuff mate but the font is kinda annoying imo still + rep

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Doing it Guerrilla Style...

Thanks guys for the comments!