Thread: DTW Walls Source MAX files

Default DTW Walls Source MAX files

Hi there everybody. First of all - sorry for my english. Its not to good as you can see (or will see) so please just bear with me. This is my first post ever on TWC witch is wird if i think how long i am lurking here. To be strait - this is the best forum on Total War modifications that i have found on the net. I like the way this community works, i like the way the forum works and most of all i like the quality and amount of work that many talented people have share with others.
    I have play RTW from the very begining and my current version is like totaly diffrent game thanks to the work of of those people (thanks for everybody for sharing there hard work).
    Few days ago i have downloaded DTW and i must say i am impresed. Not everything is the way i like but generaly - it rocks. Disent (desent?) AI, intense gameplay... and those awesome wooden walls. I like theme so much that i woud like to transfer theme to my own RTW (its not some mod that will be available for download or anything). I have some basic moding abilitys but i never did something like that. And this is where my problem begins - can it be done? And if yes, than how?

PS: Once again ongratulations for DTW, its really worth playing.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: How to implement those incredible walls to RTW?

Exploring these files and folders should help you with your ordeal:
    Code:
    DTW\Data\descr_building_battle.txt    // dbb includes
    DTW\Data\descr_building_battle\dbb_barbarian_invasion.txt  // building defs
    DTW\Data\descr_walls.txt              // wall definitions
    DTW\Data\descr_items.txt              // items.db generation table
    DTW\Data\descr_items.db               // generated items db
    DTW\Data\export_descr_buildings.txt   // a few wall hacks there
    DTW\Data\models_building\WALLS\       // model and info files for the walls
    DTW\Data\models_building\textures\    // texture files
    The porting part is just simple copy-pasting the necessary entries.

Exelent. Thanks for help RedFox. I will stick with your mod to see what future versions brings. Take care.

Dammit i failed. I've tried several times but i always get ctd, so i have favor to ask. It's 10-15 minutes of work when you know what you are doing so if you could do it for me i would be forever in your debt RedFox. If you agree i'll send you necessary files. No rush of course. Even if i have to wait week its ok. Its clear to me that you have your own life so i would wait as long as i have to.

I'm afraid I've got far too much work on my hands; you're better off reading more about building items in RTW and how to generate them.

Thank's anyway. I'll do what i can on my own.

Default DTW Walls Source MAX files

What the heck. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep these on my HDD anymore.

3ds Max 9 files only. Everything used from rendering to exporting the cas files can be found in the zip archive. Also included siege engine max files.

You can do whatever with these files, just try and mention the author (you know who) if you ever find any of it useful for your mod.

Default Re: DTW Walls Source MAX files

Wow, thank you very much.
    I always liked those new wooden walls you made for DTW, and the files are going to be useful now we are tring to create new walls for our mod.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    What the heck. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep these on my HDD anymore.

3ds Max 9 files only. Everything used from rendering to exporting the cas files can be found in the zip archive. Also included siege engine max files.

You can do whatever with these files, just try and mention the author (you know who) if you ever find any of it useful for your mod.
    Thank you! Really thank you so much!
    I'm starting to work on a "little" mod with some friends about the ancient era. It will extend from Thrace to Japan... Maube Not japan Maybe some China areas.

Factions(Lots of them!):
    Judea, Egypt
    Ethiopia,
    etc...

We still gathering info for that

Will these steps work with XGM as well?

"I am become death, destroyer of worlds" Robert J. Oppenheimer on the atomic bomb's discovery

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I would assume so.

Well, assuming you manage to understand how to do the whole thing...yes.

Btw, I merged the two threads regarding the DTW walls. No reason to keep them separate..
    Last edited by Spartan 666; February 18, 2011 at 05:18 PM.

Has anyone managed to implement the walls in the vanilla? Could anyone make a tutorial?

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Sorry about necro'ing this thread, but I have finally found a way to implement the wall along with the siege tower and ladders that go into it. This instruction is meant for mod-foldered mods but could probably be made to work with vanilla. The files required are:

Found in the data folder:
    descr_building_battle.txt - for the "##roman_log_wall.tga" entry, insert this between ##barb_log_wall.tga and ##barb_log_wall2.tga.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:

##roman_log_wall.tga
     {
      barbarian  ##r_barb_log_wall.tga
      roman   ##roman_log_wall.tga
      greek   ##roman_log_wall.tga
      eastern   ##r_eastern_log_wall.tga
      egyptian  ##r_eastern_log_wall.tga
      carthaginian ##r_eastern_log_wall.tga
     }

descr_engines.txt - for the small "assault_tower" and the modified siege towers and ladder entries.
    descr_engine_skeleton.txt - copy this as most mods don't use it.
    descr_ui_buildings.txt - for the magic_walls shrine entry.
    descr_walls.txt - for the "; WOODEN WALLS DTW" and below entry (before Eastern Small Stone/Town Walls).
    descr_items.txt - better to copy this whole file for mods that don't use it.
    descr_items.db - better to copy this too.
    export_descr_buildings.txt - for the wall hacks (building defenses and hidden resource).
    The whole models_engine folder for the tower and ladder models.
    The whole items folder.
    The whole descr_building_battle folder, though it may have the unintended side effect of adding barbarian invasion buildings.
    The whole models_building folder.

Found in the text folder:
    export_buildings.txt the "{magic_wall} Wooden Wall" entry.
    menu_english.txt for these entries:
    {UI_CUSTOMISE_SETTLEMENT_DEFENSES_LEVEL_2} TALL WOODEN PALLISADE
    {UI_CUSTOMISE_SETTLEMENT_DEFENSES_LEVEL_3} WOODEN WALL (DTW)
    {UI_CUSTOMISE_SETTLEMENT_DEFENSES_LEVEL_4} STONE WALL
    {UI_CUSTOMISE_SETTLEMENT_DEFENSES_LEVEL_5} STONE WALL

I know the directions are bit vague, but as I got to most of this through trials and error, this is the best that I could replicate the steps. Copying whole folders and files is there to avoid the difficulty of working the info/item files associated with building and props.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Spartan 666; August 23, 2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Thanks Spartan 666 for bolding the important file names! Updated slightly.

Thanks for making things cleared for all, Medusa! Surely that will help anyone willing to use RedFox's unique walls in his very personal mod, of course this does not allow mod creators to use it without his permission. Extended Cultures should have already implemented them, but there was a trade off agreement between us...

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

my only recomendation is look at this

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437930

Also medusa0 you missed adding building_battle.txt into the text folder. Goodluck all

Other than that a good enough description of what needs to be done. + rep for a solid effort (red fox, medusa and spartan 666 all )

edit: editting the items.txt is also necessary to get rid of the entries that list DTW as the mod folder. There is also an entry in the engines.txt IIRC. And one last entry in the descr_building folder in nicks greek buildings.
    Last edited by z3n; November 06, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

THAT WOODEN WALLS DOESNT WORK IN MY DTW AND IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO PASS TO VANILLA. IM REINSTALLING DTW, AND WILL SEE.