Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Poplicola - 540AVC

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Poplicola - 540AVC

Flavius sees Messala, and a sudden wonder hits him. Flavius stands up: Who are you, senator?
    Last edited by dragoon47; February 02, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

I, Flavius, am the newest member of this distinguished senate, the name's Valerius Messala, I have just recently arrived from greece as my term as tribune has ended, you could visit me at my domus if you wish.
    Last edited by dragoon47; February 02, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I will do so when i have the time, senator, i am surprised by this invitation. People always send me scrolls or messengers to do their invitations.. i don't need any more paper to my house.

A letter arrived from Spain bearing the seal of the Valerii.

Esteemed senators,

As you are well aware we set out for the Baleares expecting to have a fight on our hands. It is my duty to inform you that so far that is not the case. We outnumber the nearest Punic flotilla three to one and are prepared to assault the settlement due to an excellent agent of mine that has infiltrated the settlement and informed us of the best approach and the enemy numbers beforehand. They have no walls and the smallest garrison imaginable. I am happy to inform you that we have achieved complete surprise and I have also been informed that nearly every citizen in Ariminum now has papers of citizenship, is this true? If so then I suggest you fine senators deal with it, harshly if you must.

With regards,
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola

Another note was attached with letters and reports from the governor of Ariminum and Consul Septimus respectively.

Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Flavius stands up, turning to the messenger: Bring them the gratitude of the whole Senate and wish them best of luck by all of us.

The granting of citizenship is something that troubles me. This was not ordained by the Senate, but made by the foolhardy decision of a single governor. Since when has the question of citizenship been circumvented from the citizens of Rome and the Senate itself? The opening of citizenship to all the population of Ariminum is troubling. Our resources that are relegated only to citizens will now be shared with those who reside in Ariminum? How has this passed?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

I must agree with Pallas our citizens will suffer because of this negligence. A decision must be made Senators will we allow this to stand or remove it and charge the governor who has caused this mistake?

We must advance the discussion within this hall. If we slow now our enemies will be capable of renewed efforts.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

This decision shakes the whole system and basis of our conquests! This shakes the whole basis of Divide et Impera. In my opinion we should let this be. If we would to remove their citizenship, what would happen? A revolt? This is a stalemate, i must say.

And if we let it be will not others come clamouring for the citizenship? This will set a precedent that will be seen by all we can neither falter nor appease them. I believe it is within the bests interests of the people to see that the citizenship of Ariminum is removed. It will cause too many issues to follow. If we remove it only the people or Ariminum will have issue, should we leave it and refuse it to others then we will have a far greater amount of dissent throughout the peninsula.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

OOC: Incase, divide et impera involved giving different rights to different regions, and it would keep up the jealousy between the different cities, so they would not unite and rebel. Thhey could be on bad terms with each other but not with rome.

Removing the citizenship may be too radical a decision. It may cause the whole of Italy to rebel. Still, as we have nothing better, it is our only way to get out of the stalemate.

I say revoke their citizenship, how can we give our precious citizenship rights to some Etruscans in the north of Italy. I say NO to them having citizenship. Give the people of Ariminium citizenship and next thing you know Hispanics would be considered Roman citizens!
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus shook his head. Disagreeing with most of the Senators' statements.
    He then stood up and spoke.

"Revoke their citizenship and you will incite rebellion. Do you want to drag the Republic into the abyss of another chaotic rebellion?"

He looked at each Senator. Then he continued.

"I agree however, that the governor was indeed foolhardy with his decision to take matters into his own hands without consulting the Senate first. The only thing we can do is to relieve the governor of his duties in the province and bring him before the Senate to be questioned. In the future, let us hope something like this will not happen again. In regard to the issue that other cities will want citizenship too, then we'll promise to give it to them when the time is right."

Before he took his seat, He spoke.

"Senators. I beseech you to reconsider about revoking their citizenship."

With that, he finally sat down.
    Last edited by drecie14; February 03, 2011 at 06:17 AM.
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Titus, do you see another way out of this mess the governor has gotten us to? I agree with you that revoking the citizenship may just be too radical a decision and it may cause the whole Italy to rebel. We do not want it to happen anymore, do we, fellow senators? Flavius looked around, challenging anyone to stand up and answer to him. As he seemed to get no answer, he finally sat down and relocated his gaze to Titus.

Senators why do we not grasp this opportunity to more directly control Ariminum.
    To revoke their new status would cause far more harm than good as would punishing the governor.
    Obviously the citizens now view this governor as one who has their best interests at heart,
    to remove him may incite them as much as revoking their new citizenship.
    YATS Renius Domitius Orso Plebian 38

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus look intently at Flavius.

"Flavius is right. What other option can we take now? What was the governor thinking? This is clearly a dilemma for the Senate."

He said to himself.

Then Titus spoke aloud.

"There has to be another way Senators, but, I'm at a lost for ideas and steps that we could take. The governor left us in a no-win situation."
    Last edited by drecie14; February 03, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

There indeed has to be another way, senators. But first off, we must find who was this mysterious governor who left us with nothing to grasp on. His decision was unsound and against the Roman policy. I say that we first:
    Find out who the governor is, and find out WHY did he do it. After we have found these out, we can think of a punishment of his acts.

And back to Ariminum, we should the garrison for Ariminum while we cancel their citizenship. We could say that the governor did not know what he was doing, and is punished of his crimes against the city of Ariminum. If still a revolt occurs, the reinforced garrison is able to deal with it.
    After saying this, Flavius sat down.

The Senate is supposed to administer Italy directly,Ariminum has no governor.

Then who was the man who gave the order? As no-one in here knows about this, how can you even say something like that? This command was made by a single person, and thus he must be punished.

I'm not saying it was one of us,(he looks at over at Pallas quickly.)I'm saying he wasn't a Roman official.

I must disagree with you, Caldius. Why not a roman official? It surely was a roman official who made the decision.