Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Poplicola - 540AVC

Icon13

Quickly standing and hoping not too many of the senators looked "I think that we should move the garrison from Illyria and let the province go. burn the buildings and leave it. We should continuously focus all our efforts on Spain and Carthage" Sextus pauses for a moment, thinking over his words carefully and biting his lower lip with his teeth to avoid quivering "To do otherwise would be overextending ourselves. I also think a revised version of the motion is needed." Then quickly seating before voicing more of his opinion and began tugging at a small knife hidden under his blood-red toga
    Last edited by Royal_McKeogh; January 26, 2011 at 06:26 PM.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Poplicola - 540AVC

*Spurius goes to Aequus and makes hasty discussion
    He then returns to his seat and hastily scribbles something on a scroll*
    I would like to propose a revised version of the motion.
    Lex Spuria ad Defensionem Conscribi Illyricum.
    I. An emergency force of Italian mercenaries be raised to reinforce Dyrrachium.
    II. A third legion be recruited, of both allied and roman origin, consisting of
    four units of Roman cohorts, four units of Roman skirmishers, two units of Roman Equites, and one unit of Latin Cavalry to be recurited from Rome and four units of allied cohorts, four units of allied skirmishers, and one units of allied triarii be recruited from Arretium.
    III. A 40% subsidy to be introduced on the recruitment of the units of clause II to allow soldiers, who are unable to afford equipment, to purchase well made armour and weapons. This only applies on recruitment for the sepcified legion.
    *Senators look at Aequus, but cannot read on his face whether he supports the revision or not.*
    The subsidy would be mainly for allies, as they are less likely to be able to afford equipment.
    If you senators do not approve of my revision, speak up and we can revert it back to its original version, although I hope that you will consider the third clause a wise use of money.
    Last edited by Nota'; January 26, 2011 at 05:46 PM.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius stands up, feeling that the victory is near

I agree with Scaeva. Remember, senators, that we must expand steadily; otherwise they will cut off our fingers, one at a time perhaps, until we must pull back the hand. And the wound may then already be unrepaired. I say we hold a vote.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Silius, to abandon Illyria and call our men back would give us a short time influx of cash and soldiers, but these shall fade. It would take much more troops to then reconquer our territory in the future, and the Makedonians would use Illyria as a pushing off point for invasions into Italy and Rome.

However, I am fine with your revision Spurius. You are the one who introduced the law, make the changes that you wish. Even if the troops were not equipped I have no doubt that they could repel a full army from the Makedonians.

EDIT: Sorry, I think the name should have been Lex Geminii. If you agree with Lex Spuria then no worries.
    Last edited by Gotenus; January 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM.

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus nods his head in agreement to Aequus.
    He stood up and spoke.

"Ah Senator. Your thoughts echo my own. But aside from looking at the abandonment of Illyria militarily and economically, I saw that politically, this could cause a scandalous propaganda favoring our enemies. Our allies might once again revolt if they see our inability to protect our own territories. We must stand fast and hold Illyria. Romans do not flee from an enemy...Our enemies flee from us."

He looks toward Spurius and gave a curt nod.

"I have no objection what so ever with your proposed motion. I fully support it.

With that he sat down.
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Then we have agreed, senators! I truly hope that this decision goes through quickly! In my opinion, this is our best decision since we abandoned the kings!

Sextus chooses his words carefully. He had been to the North of Italy, and knew that incorporating those cities wouldnt be hard if they could get by the armies in the country side.This would also give him more time to find a counter arguement to losing Illyria to the Makedonians. So he stood up and mustered his courage, saying "I suggest a legion instead be raised for the taking of North Italy, all the lands south of the Northern Mountains should be ours! They will provide a natural front, and provide a buffer state should the Arvenii invade. The area is also rich in natural resources, as well as large(er) settlements." Sextus then looks down at the reports he had received showing the tax income from each city as well as trade scrolls and buildings in the various allied cities, he also had done the math at what it would cost to raise another legion and the approximate amount of money they would take in from the settlements in North Italy due to trade. He couldnt tell how many citzens were in each city, but he could tell that they had basic roads and ports, which would add to the overall income. "The tax income we shall recieve from these newly conquered settlements will allow for another legion to be raised and, hopefully, be sent to Makedonia, Illyria, or Spain. However if we will be invading North Italia, it must be done quickly as the Makedonians will likely send a larger army to take the Illyrian settlement." Sextus then seated himself, knowing that his opinion would, most likely, be valued and not taken lightly. He then prepared for the retorts of the senators at how there weren't enough funds, or other things needed attention first. He hated the Senate, decisions would be made much quicker if they merely let things play out and allowed for the Consuls to do what THEY think is needed. If the Consuls made a poor decision, then they could simply be removed from power. Then he would have a chance to make a name for himself!
    Last edited by Royal_McKeogh; January 27, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Good Gods not this again.

We cannot invade Cisalpine Gaul until our current enemies are dealt with.

Look at these senators, shooting down ideas before examining them. So Sextus stands again, saying "Cisalpine Gaul is the only area that makes sense to invade, we have a land route as well as cities nearby to recruit more legions. I say invading Spain is a poor decision! It is far away from the capital, and the only reason we move there is because of Carthage. There will be large amounts of corruption in Spain compared to Cisalpine Gaul." Sextus then seats himself on the bench. He was infuriated, however he could see the 'Plebian's' point. They should go after their enemies, yet how could they if they didn't have the resources? Part of Sextus wanted to leave the debate immediately, but he knew that would be a sign of weakness and he had to show restraint.

While your plan makes sense, Sextus, we must deal with the immediate threat at hand. It was not the Gauls who sent a small party to attack our border settlement. It is not the Gauls who we fear will be sending a larger army anytime soon. IT is the Makedonians who decided to send a small expedition into Roman lands.

We are sending two legions into Spain. With these legions, we will be able to likely take all of Spain, which is incredibly rich. With that money we could make a legion to take Cisalpine Gaul, but if we were to let the Carthaginians take Spain, they would use the money to make an army and attack Italy herself.

In time we shall take Gaul, but we cannot now. As people have said, we would be overstretching our hand.

Sextus was now becoming frustrated. He had gone over the finances, they had enough money for another legion to be sent to Cisalpine Gaul! Why wouldn't the Senators allow it? So he decided to say what was on his mind. "I have gone over the finances Lucius, we have enough money to recruit the legion and keep it. we actually have a surplus of 1000 denarii per fiscal year when the legion is recruited, as well as 5000 left in the treasury when it is recruited. If we depopulate the captured settlements, we will have even more money! I'm sorry, but if we can afford to go to Cisalpine Gaul, then why should we not? All who is there are free tribes and some Gauls, if need be we can bribe a city or two to come to us! We will not be overstretching our hand going there, instead we would by going into Spain where there are no reinforcements and no assurance that the natives aren't fortified." Sextus then sits down knowing that all that he could have done to persuade that Senators was just said.

When you speak of money, know that both Spain and Makedonia both have more mines and general cash flow then Cisalpine Gaul.

When we have enemies pressed against us from two sides why would we spark conflict in the North even closer to home? This is pragmatism not cowardice Silius. Or would you only be content once we have drawn a military front on the South too?
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

"And corruption will take it's fair share of those funds" Sextus discretly pats his near-overflowing purse "Along with the cost of waging war against a land of numerous cultural deficits. We will be faced with unfamiliar and clashing cultures, as well as numerous provinces to incorporate. In Cisalpine Gaul, I would estimate 5 or 6 provinces, yet in Spain there could be as many as 15, with the same number in Makedonia. In Makedonia, we have the free-greeks and Spartans to the south, and the Thracians to the North. In Spain there is the Carthaginians to the south and the Gaulic tribes to the north! Moving into these areas would lead to border clashes and war on numerous fronts. In Cisalpine Gaul there is the mountains to the North, mountains to the West, and forest in the east. As well as rivers and its closeness to Italia. Cisalpine Gaul IS the obvious choice."

"I cannot argue with two Senators, so please excuse me for my outspoken thoughts, i am merely stating what i deem to be a practical opinion. Now what are the invasion plans for Spain, will we be moving north or south along the coast, or will we be moving inland?"

Oh, but Sextus, Flavius stands up, why would these people wage war on the victorious legions of Rome? Considering our scout reports, they have their own matters with the other tribes. If we'd take Spain, we'd have a perfect bottleneck position to repel the barbaric tribes, not forgetting the massive income we'd get from there. Gauls are not our main problem now. These new senators, thinks Flavius, always waging for war... should they know better, we have already made decisions and we will proceed with the plan...

Speaking about something that has already passed makes you look like an a** Julius.

Suddenly angry.

SILENCE!

Sextus Silius Octobrianus remember who you are and what you are doing!

I will not have noble Senators trading insults like two young men courting the same girl.

HAHA!

Decimus laughs out loud remembering how it was when he and Corvenus courted the same woman, the lovely Volcacia. Decimus believes (falsely) that the only reason Corvenus eventually won her is because Decimus went to serve on the elder Scipio's staff over five years earlier.

Decimus realizes that the chamber echo made his laugh louder than is appropriate.

Excuse me, Comrades...

Sextus quickly stands upon hearing the tone of Lucinius' voice, and says "Please calm yourselves, we are here to speak of real issues, not bandying around with empty words. Although i may have been rather rude to my fellow Senator, it is no reason to provoke hostilities" glances at Lucinius "Instead i wish to apologize to Julius" bows slightly in the direction of Julius "for my rudeness and hope he accepts it." Straightens himself to a standing position "I am rather passionate about throwing the barbarian scum out of Italia." Sextus then seats himself, giving the floor to any other Senator's who wish to speak, or laugh out loud.
    Last edited by Royal_McKeogh; January 27, 2011 at 03:54 PM.