Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Info Org] Faction Descriptions Work Thread

Default Re: Faction Descriptions

""Malik" would be the best romanized Arabic term for King... ",
    I know that, mate, but the Andalusian petty maliks don't had a specific title based from the name ''taifa"?
    I will check that with some Maghrebi's experts from BC, just to be sure... that will be updated for the ancillaries titles, in game, for the Early Era(1080), with the authentic arabic name of the city....

Possible title for the governor of Cordoba(not for king/caliph/amir): "Wali al-Kurtuba" for the moors, and I think that a vicar/prevost title in latin is right for all christian from Iberia about Corduba. Correct me if you have more informations about this. Corduba is just too big and important to give that as a simple lordship.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AMWCB2T0

my good old export_ancillaries file, you are free to correct this for you or to contribute at large. But please keep the frenchs/crusaders titles as well, they are absolutly corrects and historicals...and never "Count of Paris" available for the generals. The Count of Paris is simply the King of France him-self. He don't want that his capital could be gived as apanage to his sons or a bad guy of his army.

The correct military title for Paris is "Senechal de France", he was ever a noble, of preference very loyal, courageous...he could command the army if the King isn't present(or too coward^^).
    If the parisians are in riots, not details or blabla...Just he will charge the burgers with the Francilians knights(as the Montmorency family and many others). Like that the parisian burgers will understand who is the represent of Jesus on Earth and that is just bad to revolt against him.(well I joke^^) Non-hereditar title

for one civil governor: "Prévôt des marchands de la Hanse de Paris", more shorter : "Prévôt des Marchands"(as the great Etienne Marcel). But for now its hardcoded about the Merchants, the Prevot des Marchands was one of the most wealthy burgers of Paris. He had a great power on many things: the milicias from the craftsmen and merchants, laws/rules about their corporations, he applicated also the King's decision about the navigation on the Seine(Paris's river) and a lot of others little things. Non-hereditar title

to I.D
    "Like this?"

Well Bro, for me its quite perfect by your way^^
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; January 24, 2011 at 07:22 AM.

Yep guess my little project worked and caught on.

Icon7 Re: Faction Descriptions

k cool drtad you do armenia dark-rennisance ill do Byzantine and well go from there
    Last edited by codix105; January 24, 2011 at 07:37 AM.

Yes thanks to you Codix and Ixor Drakkar, Rollingwave, Drtad, and the potiental other authors. Personnally I'm very interested by the texts stuff, but I'm bad about my expression, I have a lot of work, and SV too I think.
    I think that free contributors could form a good temporair team, to help SV and his great mod.

More REP for everyone who contribute to this re-writting project

One text is requiered for this REP adding

Just make a check list please, to don't make by 10 ways the same work^^

Good continuations compadres

RB
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; January 24, 2011 at 07:55 AM.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Turks 1080:

My most magnificent Malik-Shah!

Under the guidance of you and your father, the mighty Alp Arslan, We have carved out a empire for the ages! the whole of the middle east is under our command, the Khalifa in Baghdad is but a puppet in our hands, the once mighty Romans are now crumbling in our paths, it has been many centuries since Islam, or even the world have known of a realm so great!

We Turks stand above all others as the guardians of Islam! the new Swords of Allah! yet it is at these heights that we must be wary of falls, as you have no doubt already seen some signs.

You had to fight many of your closest kin to succeed your father, that sly fox Suleyman have betrayed your trust and openly revolt against you.

But I know you have the will and power to step down all those obstacles before you, and together, we shall build the greatest empire known to man!

Your most humble Vizer
    Khwaja "Nizam al-Mulk" al-Tusi
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

updated, to delete
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; January 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Ancillary for Malik-Shah seem like the most logical . unmovable so that it dies with him etc...

By throwing in these real historic charactor it makes these description seem much better obviously Nizam al-Mulk was basically the guy that held the Seljuk together, while Al-Badr virtually extended the Fatimid Caliph's life for another 100 year or so. and obviously the quote from Muhammad Ibn Abbad Al Mutamid was actually part of a real quote from him when advised against inviting the Almoravid (and became true. he died in house arrest in Morocoo )
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-Bey View Post
    "Barev, Ishkhan."
    Drtad, know you the title, for cilician sovereign, who is translated by "Prince of the Mountains". I had read that about Cilicia, by a serious book from René Grousset, "History of Armenia, from roots to the Seljuk conquest".

Great, we could easily create good descriptions crimped with vernacular words....As the most immersive way. Same less understanding, its just better. Its the reality, to each people his idiome and way to call him-self.
    Personaly, I have a bad expression in english...but I will oversee the French Campaign descriptions if someone would(please^^) work about this...
    "Ishkhan" means prince. I have heard of the title "Prince (or Lord) of the Mountains", but to be honest I have never heard it in Armenian. I know that Roupen had no official title of his own, but went by Ishkhan, which was the equivalent of "baron" to the Western Europeans.

I'd be glad to do French descriptions. I'll work on those later. Here's a High Era Armenian one.

The High Era: 1212AD

Regnum Armeniae

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Barev, Takavor!

Things are starting to look up for once. After over a century of constant warfare, the Kingdom of Armenia was finally restored in 1199 under the leadership of Levon II Roupenian (now King Levon I). So far during Levon’s reign, we have secured Cilicia and consolidated our territory, even raiding deep into Seljuk territory. Our expanded influence has allowed us to consolidate out holdings and look towards expansion outside Cilicia. Merchant ships of the Kingdom sail throughout the Mediterranean, allowing our economy to flourish.

However, just because our situation is stable now doesn’t mean it can’t change in the blink of an eye. The new Kingdom of Armenia is small and heavily outnumbered by the nearby larger empires, and she is going to have to rely on clever diplomacy and allies to expand effectively. The Seljuks to the north are your largest threat at the start. An expansive Ayyubid Sultanate eyes our lands with unholy lust. The Crusaders continue to stubbornly resist Armenian rule in Antioch to the southeast. Good luck, you’ll need it.
    Last edited by Drtad; January 25, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

I had read an "History of the Haschischins's Order" a longtime ago, thnks for the precisions...

"Ancillary for Malik-Shah seem like the most logical . unmovable so that it dies with him etc..."
    If nobody do that I will try to code this, but later, its just a very important detail.
    I think the bonus for Malik-Shah to have this great minister, would be of course: more skilled about the general financial gestion, but also a bad general effect on the Shii muslims(?), for some balancing.
    This big religious minority need to be present in Sv4.0. To make the game more immersive.... 10 different religions are possibles, if I'm right. The actual religions are quite good with the Jewish minority.
    Just is needed to add the Shii. For a more complex Orient.

And we could linked a lot of new things with the Shii, as dynastic group(Fatimids) with Law and Order factors.
    well Shii need to be like the Jewishs, a stabilized and balanced proportion. Not all Khazaria need to be Jewish in early stages(10 to 15 % would be the max)
    Europeans could have max 5% of Jewish in their big cities.
    Idem for the Shii, from 1 to 25/30 % of the Muslims historical provinces, according their historic concentrations...
    And possibilities for some bad christian kings to provoke Pogroms against the jewish urban population. Immediate bonus of money, but lowed commercial/financial rents for the next years^^
    Like Phillipe the Beautifull(14's French King, who destroyed also the Templars), or the Late Castillans Kings, potientially the byzantines too could make pogroms!
    I don't know other big antisemit case in history, with new exodus for the Jewish of a specific country, but to improve the list if some have ideas about..., and the popes will be the protectors of the Jewishs of catholic Europa, well I keep that in mind.

I used too the word "Ishkhan", for the armenian titles, but I'm not armenian, not knowledge about his grammair....
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AMWCB2T0 , take a look about the titles.
    Feel free to give better traductions for the armenian titles, hierarchy between provinces, accurate armenian names if you are interested in this matter.

"Even the bloodthirsty Crusaders to the southeast may turn against you if you don’t pay attention", who are worth against Cilicia?
    Muslims, Rhomaion, or the Francs? I hope too we will have a Kingdom of Cilicia: " lone against all", fatalist campaign, hardcore and heroic^^

Call me when you start the french descriptions, particulary for the Late/Renaissance Eras, its most important for me. Just to give some help about the events before the starting of the game..., after you weld/adapt that with your style/syntax...etc.
    Last edited by VINC.XXIII; January 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Bruce the Silver-Tongued's Avatar Civis

I'm looking forward to what you guys come up with for the Great Moravia faction. I don't remember there being a description in the faction selection menu, so it would be new - to my knowledge. Would it be more German sounding, Slavic, or what? The Moravian hybrid culture, capable of going to east or northern Europe AOR, is one of the coolest Dark Age factions.

I have another idea this thread is getting a little crowded with peoples comments about terms someone make a thread to discuss the terms for the descriptions

Byzantines 1080 early campaign

My Lord Basileus Alexios gods vice regent and Emporer of the Romans,

Our Empire holds Achaea, Attica, Macedonia, Thrace, and Epirus. Our Military is made of ever more consistently mercenaries. We have still many enemies. The Seljuk Turks aim to move across the Boshphorus and then into Europe the Bulgarians and Serbians in the near future may very well give us cause for fear. The most prominent and real danger we face is Sicily. The Sicilians are Frank knights who are self served. They could very well drive us from Epirus and Macedonia even to the great city of Konstantinupolis we will survive our Roman might is true. The best means of expansion would be to maintain good relations with the Holy See. The Silicians could not attack us without Papal support. Thus our western border would be somewhat secure. Then move uon the Serbs and Bulgarians with the Balkans returned to us we can move too the east. The Turks hold most of Asia Minor in there deep embrace there serpent tongues poisoning good christians there. The renamed Town of Iznik woyld be a good first Target. Nicaea was taken about 20 years ago if you would take it then we could move on to Smyrna and Mylasa and Amastris. Ikonion would prove a bigger challenge. The walls the Turks hide behind are of our own make seek a peace treaty first and then rebuild your army. Also Basileus a new notion has risen in the West crusade. Holy war to take back the holy land should our relations with the west they may even attack us seeing there eastern brothers as easy pray for after all they are Barbari. I pray that the Holy Virgin will guide you Basileus Alexios let us reclaim our Roman Empire from the Shadow of its despair let us go down in history as the men who were as great as Augustus we will I know and trust in you Father you will rule Rome justly

your son,
    John Komnenos

Byzantines Darkage (888)

Basileus Leo,
    I must be discreet for I return to the front in a week. The Empire rules Greece, Thrace, Asia Mirka, and the South of Italy. The Arabs contral the Cilician part of Asia Mirka they will hinder us at any time. The most prominent problem is the Bulgar Empire. The Bulgarians control almost all of the Balkans. We must drive them from the Balkans at any cost. The Arabs have overrun the bigger part of Sicily. Sicily is lightly defended the city of Palermo is a very good idea for a early conquest its ports will fill our coffers. The Lombard Lords are at war with us from Napoli the reign however a miniscule threat. Open up trade with the Italians, Papal States and Venice Build your economy up then attack the Bulgars attack fast attacking several settelments at ounce they will not recover.
    You have my fith Basileus,
    Constantine Doukas

I have finished the Byzantines I want to do the Crusaders and England if that would be okay just asking

I used too the word "Ishkhan", for the armenian titles, but I'm not armenian, not knowledge about his grammair....
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AMWCB2T0 , take a look about the titles.
    Feel free to give better traductions for the armenian titles, hierarchy between provinces, accurate armenian names if you are interested in this matter.
    Hmm I'll take a look at that soon.

"Even the bloodthirsty Crusaders to the southeast may turn against you if you don’t pay attention", who are worth against Cilicia?
    Muslims, Rhomaion, or the Francs? I hope too we will have a Kingdom of Cilicia: " lone against all", fatalist campaign, hardcore and heroic^^
    In the Early Era this is definitely the case, they were at war with basically everyone: Romans and Seljuks, not to mention rival Armenian nobles and warlords. And after SV does some map changes to Anatolia, hopefully they would only start with a small castle settlement in the mountains (Partzerpert, literally meaning "High Castle"). In the High Era at 1212 they were very aggressive, even occupying Antioch several times until finally placing a puppet lord in Antioch, Prince Raymond-Roupen (1216). Technically they should start out at war with the Crusaders as they did fight a war against the Templars to eventually place Raymond-Roupen in Antioch, but the nature of the conflict wasn't really total war. They were at war with Rum as well. The Late Era in 1311 definitely wouldn't be a scenario where they fought against everyone, because they were very closely allied to the Ilkhanate.

Call me when you start the french descriptions, particulary for the Late/Renaissance Eras, its most important for me. Just to give some help about the events before the starting of the game..., after you weld/adapt that with your style/syntax...etc.
    Sure thing. Here's a Late Era description to finish up the Armenian ones.

The Late Era: 1311AD

Regnum Armeniae

Barev, Takavor.

The Kingdom of Armenia is in a dire state. The Kingdom reaped the benefits of its alliance to the Mongols in the mid 13th century, as the combined Mongol-Armenian forces conquered parts of Syria. However, their expeditions would end in utter failure and the alliance with the Mongols would be strained with Ghazan Khan’s conversion to Islam. The kingdom has also recently undergone a crisis, as the Muslim Mongol general Bilarghu, who had been assigned by Ghazan Khan to protect the Armenians from the Mamluks, betrayed and assassinated King Levon III in 1307. After wreaking havoc across the country, Armenian forces led by the new king, Oshin, defeated Bilarghu, who escaped only to be executed by Ghazan for treason.

Oshin is a capable king, but the kingdom’s troubles are many. The forces of the Mamluks are far greater than anything Armenia can put onto the field at this time. Facing the Mamluks directly had been attempted before, which culminated in the disastrous Battle of Mari in 1266. The kingdom must rely on its alliance to the Mongols if it hopes to regain its hopes of expansion… or survival.
    Last edited by Drtad; January 24, 2011 at 07:06 PM.

Great work

"the Early Era this is definitely the case, they were at war with basically everyone: Romans and Seljuks"
    Like in PDER, I had liked the cilician campaign for this.
    "The kingdom must rely on its alliance to the Mongols if it hopes to regain its hopes of expansion… or survival"
    That could be a new chance for your homeland, its true, Mongols had really liked the Armenians(you know with Hetoum.and participation of the Armenians to Mongols expeditions...)
    But Timour the Wolf is waiting!!

Bruce the Silver-Tongued's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by SicilianVespers View Post
    This one aspect of the mod that has been neglected. Do you think you can get them all done for 4.0?
    Is there a chance we could have this thread moved into either a sub-forum, a project sticky, or some other place? It seems like the legitimacy of this thread, as a think-tank for the mod, kind of warrants it being named a minor project, or something similar. It seems like it is not quite any-old, random, game-discussion thread.

I like a lot of the descriptions I have read, and I would love to have that extra layer of immersion in this already-awesome mod. I just thought I would ask about the thread/project status issue.

Keep up the good work!

"the Early Era this is definitely the case, they were at war with basically everyone: Romans and Seljuks"
    Like in PDER, I had liked the cilician campaign for this.
    "The kingdom must rely on its alliance to the Mongols if it hopes to regain its hopes of expansion… or survival"
    That could be a new chance for your homeland, its true, Mongols had really liked the Armenians(you know with Hetoum.and participation of the Armenians to Mongols expeditions...)
    But Timour the Wolf is waiting!!
    Yes, I think a purely historical 1080 campaign should be insanely difficult, which would make it more fun!

I've been refreshing my memory on French history, so I'll write something for them soon.

EDIT: I also edited my 1212 Armenia description, to make it more accurate.
    Last edited by Drtad; January 25, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

Ixor_Drakar's Avatar Senator

Amiraa al-Aghlabiyya 888 Dark Age WIP
    Great Amir Ibrahim Il ibn Ahmad, though the Abbasids claim to be your master this has never been true. You rule this land of your own will and it prospers praise be to Allah the compassionate. Ifrigiya is rich and fertile. From the capital of Kairuwan your lands stretch west into Algeria, all of Tarabulus and even the island of Sicily. At the Great Mosque there is a university where scholars from across Islam come to discuss Islamic thought and secular science. We have built waterworks, irrigation, many palaces and fortresses. The port of Susa is our gateway to the world and is the destination of many tradesmen, even serving as the staging point of the invasion of Sicily many years ago.

Allah has truly bless your house Amir, but there is still much to do. The Romans have yet to be fully ousted from Sicily even as we make raids into Italy itself. If they turn their full strength to reclaim it we must make a Jihad against them. You also have trouble in your own lands great Amir. The Kutama Berbers in the west may fall under the influence of the Shiite Fatimids and rise against us. The Berbers of our lands have always resented being ruled by Arabs and may use this to rise up against us. But take heart Amir, by the grace of Allah you yet may forge an empire that will last the ages.
    I survived the Mayan Apocalypse 12/21/12

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast