Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening of the badge Competition

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Ok, since people can't decide on the Praetor badge here are two new ones,

Good? Bad? Shut up?

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl
    I'm going to try and figure it out Siblesz. It will have to be a pretty cool badge!
    Maybe try a thunderbolt-holding hand or something... just a thought, I'm only trying to help... aww...

And the new Praetor badges are good! Though I like the red better, the shield is less crowded.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; February 04, 2006 at 06:14 AM.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

The blue on looks great. Although maybe the shield could be made a little higher as it seems ever so slightly unbalanced.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

I like the red. The blue looks kind of.........eh.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

I prefer the blue shield....
    I actually like the round shields alot better than the square ones, dont know why...
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Good? Bad? Shut up?

I love the Blue Shield, but I don't really like square shields. But perhaps the blue shield could be a bit higher and a bit farther left?
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Current badges are good as is, in my humble opinion. I'm still waiting to see a Divus design, though.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

I like the shape and the design of the blue one but the color doesn't seem too fitting.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Good? Bad? Shut up?
    I think they're both good, but since i have to go with one, i go with the red one
    Last edited by Last Roman; February 04, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Good? Bad? Shut up?
    I think the top one is the better one. The colors of the 2nd one are not very good.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Good? Bad? Shut up?
    I like the current Praetor design: authentic Roman shield. Plus, there's not really any particular problem with it.

We're all waiting for Divus, though. Squeakus' idea sounds interesting.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Content Emeritus

How is this?

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

How is this?

The image of the hand is not very recognizable.

Content Emeritus

Ah crap, I need to change the text to "Divus" anyway!

The hand has been hard to make it look really good. I've just got to find a good idea and use my creativity to make it work.

I've just got to find a good idea and use my creativity to make it work.
    Historically the title of Divus was applied to diseased mortals in a process called Apotheosis. During the apotheosis of Emperor Pertinax, Cassius Dio reports this:

Quote Originally Posted by 74.4
    Upon establishing himself in power he erected a shrine to Pertinax, and commanded that his name should be mentioned at the close of all prayers and all oaths; he also ordered that a golden image of Pertinax should be carried into the Circus on a car drawn by elephants, and that three gilded thrones should be borne into the other amphitheatres in his honour. His funeral, in spite of the time that had elapsed since his death, was carried out as follows. In the Roman Forum a wooden platform was constructed hard by the marble rostra, upon which was set a shrine, without walls, but surrounded by columns, cunningly wrought of both ivory and gold. In it there was placed a bier of the same materials, surrounded by heads of both land and sea animals and adorned with coverlets of purple and gold. Upon this rested an effigy of Pertinax in wax, laid out in triumphal garb; and a comely youth was keeping the flies away from it with peacock feathers, as though it were really a person sleeping. While the body lay in state, Severus as well as we senators and our wives approached, wearing mourning; the women sat in the porticos, and we men under the open sky. After this there moved past, first, images of all the famous Romans of old, then choruses of boys and men, singing a dirge-like hymn to Pertinax; there followed all the subject nations, represented by bronze figures attired in native dress, and the guilds of the City itself — those of the lictors, the scribes, the heralds, and all the rest. Then came images of other men who had been distinguished for some exploit or invention or manner of life. Behind these were the cavalry and infantry in armour, the race-horses, and all the funeral offerings that the emperor and we senators and our wives, and the corporations of the City, had sent. Following them came an altar gilded all over and adorned with ivory and gems of India. When these had passed by, Severus mounted the rostra and read a eulogy of Pertinax. We shouted our approval many times in the course of his address, now praising and now lamenting Pertinax, but our shouts were loudest when he concluded. section Finally, when the bier was about to be moved, we all lamented and wept together. It was brought down from the platform by the high priests and the magistrates, not only those who were actually in office at the time by also those who had been elected for the ensuing year; and they gave it to certain knights to carry. All the rest of us, now, marched ahead of the bier, some beating our breasts and others playing a dirge on the flute, but the emperor followed behind all the rest; and in this order we arrived at the Campus Martius. There a pyre had been built in the form of a tower having three stories and adorned with ivory and gold as well as a number of statues, while on its very summit was placed a gilded chariot that Pertinax had been wont to drive. Inside this pyre the funeral offerings were cast and the bier was placed in it, and then Severus and the relatives of Pertinax kissed the effigy. The emperor then ascended a tribunal, while we, the senate, except the magistrates, took our places on wooden stands in order to view the ceremonies both safely and conveniently. The magistrates and the equestrian order, arrayed in a manner befitting their station, and likewise the cavalry and the infantry, passed in and out around the pyre performing intricate evolutions, both those of peace and those of war. Then at last the consuls applied fire to the structure, and when this had been done, an eagle flew aloft from it. Thus was Pertinax made immortal.
    May this help the muse strike you, Lord Rahl.

Content Emeritus

Is this better you picky gentlemen?

I italicized (is that the right word?) the font to make it look different from the rest and I also made the badge look weathered to make it seem old.

Maybe the head of Zeus instead of the hand? :sweatingb The hand strikes me as....odd for some reason. I mean, why a hand? Thunderbolts ok, but a hand? I'm not saying that it's bad or anything, I could never hop to do anything like it. Just some constructive critisism.

Edit: Kind of like this
    Last edited by therussian; February 08, 2006 at 08:09 PM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Content Emeritus

Why you little...*shakes fist*

Because Zeus threw thunderbolts and I was trying to think of something god-like.

EDIT: Faces are hard to add in because the badges are so small in height it is hard to get the faces to stand out and look good.

.... Didn't know that. Anyway.....I love it Rahl! It's very good! The hand's kind of...dark though.

Bah, should've been Zeus...bah

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Rahl, go for the red one. Gotta love the red one.