Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Warhammer Fantasy Q&A

Default Re: Warhammer Fantasy Q&A

1. Fought Nagash to several bloody standstills
    2. supplied a weapon to "kill" Nagash

Probably more.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    What are some badass/cool things the skaven have done in the warhammer universe?
    -Killed Sigmar in his reborn state of Valten.
    -The black plague they caused killed more soldiers of the empire than any invasion of any other faction.
    -They cock-blocked Nagash (possibly saving all life on the planet)
    -The reason the skaven left skavenblight was because they tried to open caverns underground with a massive and ingenious weapon that (predictably) was sabotaged by skaven's inherent penchant for infighting. This device had massive effects all the way to world's edge mountains, destroying many Dwarf holds that were already damaged by the Slann's "realignment" disaster.
    -They have furturistic steam-punk like technology, far surpassing any and all other races.
    - Most importantly: they would rule the world if they weren't so prone to infighting.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    What are some badass/cool things the skaven have done in the warhammer universe?
    They have invented a video telephone. I'd say that tops everything.
    Art //

oh my, could you elaborate?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

The Skaven have invented something called a Farsqeaker, which they use as a long range communication device. While not very common, Grey Seers use them especially to report on their various mission back to Skavenblight. While there is no definitive description of what a Farsqeaker actually looks like, it has been described as a telephone/videophone (Magic images) hybrid which is powered by warpstone and dark magic. They are sometimes prone to exploding with overuse. But them most Skaven tech is.
    Art //

Wow cool, now what about the awesomeness of lizardmen? How long until they purge the world of Kaos?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Can someone spam me with all I would ever need to know about the Tomb Kings?
    I'm very interested in them, due to their striking similarity to both the Kingdom of Ikana in LoZ: Majora's Mask and the Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls (both favorite dungeons of mine).

C'mon, spill the beans. I know they're essentially fantasy Egyptian undead armies, but I want to be convinced before I go and buy myself an army of Bone Giants.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Right now, they are a bit meh.
    They have some strengths, Necrosphinx and casket of souls mainly and pretty good magic as well as archers who are alot more flexible due to them hitting on 5+ no matter what(never faced the bone giant tho).
    But that's really where the good stuff end with them.
    If you compare it to the other undead army Vampire Counts, they just don't stand a chance since Vampire counts are just better then them in almost all areas except shooting.
    Fluff-wise they are quite interesting since they are unlike everyone else in that they are passive unless you start messing with them like invade their lands or try to steal stuff from them.

But it's always important to remember that it is important that you pick an army that you enjoy their concept and models. I know all about uphill struggles considering I play Beastmen among others and despite the hardship I enjoy playing with them just as I see people that really like Tomb Kings enjoy their army as well so the book can't be that bad. And their models are sweet I will admit.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

And what about these Vampire Counts?

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

^ Look into the Lamia bloodline. Best faction ever.

Hey, need an aswer for this: Which factions have Norse influenses?
    Last edited by Påsan; October 07, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Hey, need an aswer for this: Which factions have Norse influenses?
    The Norscans (one of the three races that worship chaos in the Northern wastes) have 7 tribes of their own: 4 dark and 3 neutral/dark. The 4 chaos worshipping tribes are the Aeslings, Bearsonlings, Vargs and Graelings, These are represented on tabletop as chaos marauders and chaos warriors. The three netrual/dark tribes are the Bjornlings, the Sarls and the Skaelings, they are neither good nor necessarily evil, on tabletop these are only represented by models that are no longer made but were norse mercenaries for the Imperial faction found in the regiments of renown army lists. Also in that list was a special character with models still in production: the king of Urslo called Beorn the bearstruck (from the Bearsongling tribe), he can fight for any faction except Brettonia.

The imperial state of Middenheim/the Grand Duchy of Middenland also has a huge amount of Norse influences, having evolved from a tribe called the Teutogens, so some people say they're more germanic, but their facial hair styles and the fact that their main god is called Ulric (the southern Norscan tribes call him Olric) makes me see a closer relationship to Norse style I think. Their models being the templars of Ulric and knights of Ulric are like Norse berserkers with massive warhammers and full-plate armour with no helmets, and they also have the typical soldiery of the empire which are renaissance Germany in style.

The Kurgan tribes of the north (another chaos race) have a kinda of Russian steppe/Norse feel to them I think.

Oh, and the dwarfs obviously, they're the most norse like of the main factions for sure: stubborn, horned helmets, braided beards, take-no-nonsense, proud, axe-wielding, shield-wall using, no cavalry, excellent craftsmen (the best craftsmen)........ no longships though, they have steamships and sub-marines and other technological wonders.
    Last edited by Himster; October 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sotha Sil View Post
    Can someone spam me with all I would ever need to know about the Tomb Kings?
    I'm very interested in them, due to their striking similarity to both the Kingdom of Ikana in LoZ: Majora's Mask and the Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls (both favorite dungeons of mine).

C'mon, spill the beans. I know they're essentially fantasy Egyptian undead armies, but I want to be convinced before I go and buy myself an army of Bone Giants.
    Well in terms of Lore they are pretty damn interesting. They were the first advanced race of humans on the planet. There are 6 or 7 city states that make up the lands of nehekara, each specializing in a certain something. Bronze working, slaves, warriors, religion, science, etc. From time to time they get united into a mighty empire that lol-rapes everything around them. But generally speaking they are quarreling city states.

The nehekaran peoples have a unique connection to localized deities in the region which grant them prosperity and certain forms of magic based on worship and devotion. an example would be the scholar priests that made numerous scorpion robot things. Basically melee steamtanks powered by magic. Many, especially the nobility, have a very long life expectancy, hundreds of years long, putting them on par with dwarfs for longevity. The people of one particular city state (Ka sa bar, the bronze masters i think!) were on average rather muscular 7-8 ft tall chaps!

Very very Long story short Nagash usurps his brother and becomes the king of the powerful city of khemri. He is an extremely powerful priest, but also a fanatical atheist. He eventually learns to control magic from captured dark elves. Because nehekara is so far away from the north pole, the winds of magic are very very weak, so magic is far less effective than it would be farther north. Nagash basically develops an extremely advanced form of blood ritual magic that develops into necromancy. In order to harness magic as efficiently as possible he constructed a GIGANTIC black marble pyramid of doom filled with the souls of the countless slaves who died building the damn thing. It also acts as a kind of vacuum to suck up any magic that might be in the area and channel it in a way nagash can use it. This basically allows nagash to become extremely powerful and arguably the most powerful 'human' sorcerer ever. If the black pyramid had been made in the chaos wastes then I dont doubt nagash could have turned himself into a fully fledged god!

This gives him immortality (or at least various ways of extending his life span infinity). Then there are many, MANY MANY wars, spanning centuries and the end result is the complete destruction of all life in nehekara. Nagash also breaks the covenant with the gods, so nehekarans essentially just become like normal humans.

Nagash gets driven out, but he recoups his strength over hundreds of years. He invades again, but is defeated, though at great cost. The King of Nehekare (who is a total badass, but who's name I can never hope to spell) does not press his advantage and pretty much hopes nagash doesnt come back.

Nagash doesnt invade, but instead uses warpstone and other spells to poison all the rivers that are the life blood of the land. Slowly but surely everything withers and dies.

Nagash was on the verge of raising the dead in nehekara into an army literally millions strong, but he was betrayed by his skaven allies. The nehekarans rise from the dead, but they are not slaves to nagash as he is killed. Instead they have full inteligance, etc. So living, thinking skeletons. Obviously the nobles and priests etc have more self awareness than the simple soldiers. But in essence nehekara rose from the dead in skelatal form and picked up from where it left of.

Now the various city states go to war with each other, invade the lands of the living, build giant monouments, etc, or often as not lie completely dormant until some poor unfortunate soul fakes them up!

OH also! the Arabyans are the direct decendants of the ancient nehekarans. Theres was the only tribe/city state that managed to escape anihilation by fleeing the the far north west before it was too lest. They were known for amazing horses and shrewed trading and were partially nomadic. The founded Arabay and developed their own unique culture that has its routes in the ancient past of nehekara.!

Basically just read this damn book!

Its an epic tome and it'll take quite awhile to get through, but its a great read and provides a completly different view of the warhammer world then what we are used to! Cant recommend it enough!

EDIT: I forgot, Nagash turns some of his loyal followers into lich like demi-necromancers, one of whom eventually accidently creates the first vampire. This first vampire goes on to found its own vampire kingdom which eventually gets wiped out by that king who's name i cant remember from earlier
    Last edited by IrishBlood; December 11, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789