Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: atlas<->tsv converter

Artifex
    Patrician

Default atlas<->tsv converter

I just released new tool - converter from .atlas to .tsv and back.
    You can get it from etwng.

Like with my other small converter - it requires either Ruby or JRuby, usage from command line:
    ./atlas_unpack file.atlas file.tsv
    ./atlas_pack file.tsv file.atlas
    If you have any questions or problems either ask in this thread, or PM me.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: atlas<->tsv converter

Thanks Taw! Works a treat. Though you might want to get it moved to the napoleon section of the forum.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Moved Per Request.

Keep... converting !!!!

Hey, Taw can you make a converter like this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=383823 for ui files (Napoleon and Empire). Alpaca's python script can handle only Version039 files. Moreover I can convert only ui -> xml but not vice versa. It will be very very useful if you can do it.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Keep... converting !!!!

Hey, Taw can you make a converter like this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=383823 for ui files (Napoleon and Empire). Alpaca's python script can handle only Version039 files. Moreover I can convert only ui -> xml but not vice versa. It will be very very useful if you can do it.
    So how much do we know about ui files other than Version039?
    Or even about Version039 actually, alpaca's converter and data seem to be only in very approximate agreement with each other.

Keep... converting !!!!

I'm also interested in this (similar converter issues) as is Kungfuserge. Perhaps now there is a demand for this tool you could move it higher up on your to-do list taw?
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

As am I, I infact needed to use it literaly yesterday, I was sad to find my editted XML doesnt go backwards.

Artifex
    Patrician

OK guys, two easy questions to all of you:

What are the main problems with alpaca's Python tool?
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a quick fix of them? I know some of you know Python.

Do we know anything about ui files other than what's already in the code of alpaca's Python tool?

Here is the report if somebody knows python:

What do you mean by "what we know about ui files"?

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    OK guys, two easy questions to all of you:

What are the main problems with alpaca's Python tool?
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a quick fix of them? I know some of you know Python.

Do we know anything about ui files other than what's already in the code of alpaca's Python tool?
    1.) It doesn't convert back from xml.
    2.) It only handles a very small amount of UI files.
    3.) Not very much personally. I can do some digging if you like, but I don't think alpaca ever posted documentation on the file type. It would surprise me if he had.

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Artifex
    Patrician

Doesn't convert back how? Are you using it correctly?
    I get this error message if I pass wrong option to it (-u vs -x)

$ python3.1 ./convert_ui.py -u advice_interface advice_interface.xml
    $ python3.1 ./convert_ui.py -x advice_interface.xml advice_interface2
    $ diff -qs advice_interface advice_interface2
    Files advice_interface and advice_interface2 are identical

Artifex
    Patrician

I added alpaca's tool to etwng here. I might want to add support for more formats (especially ETW's Version033) and various patches later.

Right now the only changes are #! line for better OSX/Linux support, and README.txt

Doesn't convert back how? Are you using it correctly?
    I get this error message if I pass wrong option to it (-u vs -x)

$ python3.1 ./convert_ui.py -u advice_interface advice_interface.xml
    $ python3.1 ./convert_ui.py -x advice_interface.xml advice_interface2
    $ diff -qs advice_interface advice_interface2
    Files advice_interface and advice_interface2 are identical
    Yes, I'm sure I'm using it right as I got it to convert from UI file - xml. But not from xml back to UI file.

I added alpaca's tool to etwng here. I might want to add support for more formats (especially ETW's Version033) and various patches later.

Right now the only changes are #! line for better OSX/Linux support, and README.txt
    I think most people here are concerned with NTW files, should I upload some?

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Yes, I'm sure I'm using it right as I got it to convert from UI file - xml. But not from xml back to UI file.
    Do you have problems with converting back xml files just after they're created,
    or only after you edit them?

If it's only after editing, the answer is fairly simple.

Thanks Taw, it works now! Alpaca's commands and instructions were much difference. And please do not listen what T.C. says, we are interesting more on V 033!

Thanks Taw, it works now! Alpaca's commands and instructions were much difference. And please do not listen what T.C. says, we are interesting more on V 033!
    Mitch, Kungfuserge and I want NTW files. I think we all have an interest in both file types, but it seems to me there's more of an interest in NTW file types. Anyway, the more that are editable the better

@taw, I'll try it with the new instructions, I thought it was bad editing too so I tried converting one way then immediately back, but it made no difference.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

No do NTW! Though I understand you have more interest in ETW.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Mitch, Kungfuserge and I want NTW files. I think we all have an interest in both file types, but it seems to me there's more of an interest in NTW file types. Anyway, the more that are editable the better

@taw, I'll try it with the new instructions, I thought it was bad editing too so I tried converting one way then immediately back, but it made no difference.
    If the error says "line 1 column 1", it strongly suggests that the entire xml file is botched somehow.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    No do NTW! Though I understand you have more interest in ETW.
    Hey, but I don't even own NTW! ;-p

And to be honest I much prefer to start tiny and have plenty of options like in RTW, M2TW, and (almost) ETW. Railroaded grand campaign like RTW Alexander and M2TW Kingdoms bored me very quickly, and NTW seems like another game like that.

But then... NTW engine + mods - that would be sweet.

I agree, the interest on Napoleon has started decreasing for some time now. Just take a look on posts, mods, requests, etc, of Empire and Napoleon forums and you can see easily which game is more popular. Also some of the greatest modders haven't even bothered to work on Napoleon. And have in mind that March is close...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast