Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a TWC 1.2 Patch Together

Default Re: Creating a TWC 1.2 Patch Together

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Make Cumans playable and all regions conquerable would be a nice change. Being able to play with the mongols would be really cool but don't if it would be accurate.
    Hi, Louis. All of these features are present in Vlad's Tatar Invasion submod, which is a heavily modified version of Rusichi. He also does some interesting things with rivers (making them navigable), adds new units and skins, and splits the Mongols into two factions, both of which are playable.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Nice to know, i'll have a look.

Do you need any help with the translation or spell checking, or anything along those lines?
    Screw multiculturalism and the horse it rode in on

Would improving the custom interface mean we would get to have settlements in custom battles? It would be nice.

Guys, did you stop working on this mod? I can help find more music amongst other things. Such a shame to abandon this endeavor.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Outrider's Avatar Foederatus

Any news?...anything? As atheniandp said: it would be a shame to abandon this endeavor.

You can safely say this died before it even had begun.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

My brother inspired me to get back into M2TW after I saw him over the Christmas break playing Broken Crescent. Figured I could throw in my mediocre modding skills into the ring to revive the 1.2 patch dream.
    I got Rusichi from moddb, it sounds like different sources might be slightly different, likely the Kataphrons are lost forever though.
    Rusichi 1.0: https://www.moddb.com/games/medieval...al-war-v10-eng
    1.1 Patch: https://www.moddb.com/games/medieval...r-patch-11-eng

Here's the progress/plan so far:
    ## Rusichi Total War Unofficial 1.2 Patch ##
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;; COMPLETED ;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    1) Made Poland, Hungary, Sweden, Byzantium, Turks, Volga-Bulgars, and Cumans playable at start

2) Map changes:
    Added ports to every town (excluding villages) that touches an existing sea (some did not have ports) or the new navigable rivers.
    Volga: added navigable river, fortified land bridges
    Dnieper: added navigable river
    Danube: added navigable river
    Add an extra region to the Volga and Danube areas
    Removed 11 villages to add 10 capital castles, 3 new regions, and another monastery (1.1 had 3 unused regions)
    Moved 25 other villages to be other regions' villages (now all nations feel agricultural!)
    Every capital of each starting faction now has 1 castle and 2 villages
    Every starting faction now has at least 1 major city (with 2 villages) and 1 minor city (1 village) OR 2 minor cities (1 village each)
    Constantinople and surrounding areas changed to allow horizontal city & castle pair (hopefully we can get permission from Tsardoms for their awesome model!)

3) Added Geoffrey's Rusichi AI (AI crashes/does nothing far less often and difficulty range is improved - easy is now easy and Very Hard is now a challenge)

4) Added working .bat file with corresponding .cfg for easy launching of Rusichi

5) Religion tweaks:
    Religious buildings convert more slowly
    Orthodox replaced by Greek Orthodox (Byzantine culture), Novgorod Orthodox, Vladimir Orthodox, and Kiev Orthodox
    Religion pips to replace vanilla pips (thanks to Broken Crescent for most of the pips!)
    Each city's religion sum should equal 100

6) Add Ambience:
    Starting diplomacy (war & relations)
    Change Kingdom of Denmark to Kingdom of Sweden (only superficial changes, like name and faction colors/banner)
    ??? Added Better Water 2 (by DAVIDE)
    ??? Added MapMod: Trees, Textures, Sea v1.0 (by Charge)
    Better faction info during Faction Select, especially for non-Russian factions (thanks to Broken Crescent and Stainless Steel for descriptions - 1.1 mostly had what SS had)

8) Miscellaneous bug fixes:
    export_desc_unit:
    Removed errant commas (typically 'ownership slave,')
    Changed 'Afghan Javelinmen Mercs' range from 445 to 91 (hard coded max for javelin)
    export_descr_buildings: Removed errant commas (typically 'slave, }')
    Fix crash in faction select related to clicking on many different factions
    Fix zoomed-in radar map (Volga river and Caspian sea are not in right place)
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;; WIP ;;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    6) Add Ambience:
    Add more loading screens & quotes

7) Military tweaks:
    Turns until available for recruitment is now visible
    Advanced units made recruitable in earlier buildings
    Any unit available in custom battles for starting factions added to campaign (NEEDS DISCOVERY - which units aren't available?)
    Capital's castle starts with better barracks to allow better units during beginning of the game
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;; TO-DO ;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    2) Map changes:
    Volga: port buildings on major towns, starting fleets
    Dnieper: fortified land bridges, port buildings on major towns, starting fleets
    Danube: fortified land bridges, port buildings on major towns, starting fleets
    Add permanent forts to key locations and to replace taken villages
    Minor changes to region borders, port and city locations
    Provide many regions with permanent forts and watchtowers
    Smooth coastlines
    Provide most settlements with more buildings to better reflect the time's development

5) Religion tweaks:
    Add additional universal decision religion building tree
    Add unique building tree available only at the monasteries (NEEDS DISCOVERY - perhaps this already exists?)
    Historical priests (such as metropolitan archbishop Constantine of Kiev)

6) Add Ambience:
    Make existing building decision trees universal (NEEDS DISCOVERY - some factions already share these building trees!)
    Make building decision events universal
    Add Faction specific music
    Add unique building decision tree for each starting faction

8) Miscellaneous Bug fixes(NEEDS DISCOVERY):
    Cuman needs a building image for Pagan temple
    Vladimir and Kiev need a unit image for the Lad'Ya
    Poland, Hungary, and Romans need building image for Roadside Inn
    Romans need building image for Bimaristans
    Cuman needs a building image for Pagan temple
    Kipchak and Lithuania priest should be called something other than priest/Imam
    Lithuania and Cuman needs text correction for Pagan temple (is '<temple_temple>')
    Lithuania temples are Kipchak religion, not pagan!
    Bulgar Imam agent model should be Imam model, not Kipchak model
    Build watchtower tooltip needs to be fixed
    Kiev needs huge orthodox cathedral image
    Bulgars need new empty settlement flag (is milan)

## Rusichi Total War Unofficial 2.0 Standalone Patch IDEAS ##
    1) Make this a standalone version that has a Launcher setup exe to toggle options (like Stainless Steel)

2) Add missing insurgant factions for Lithuania and Volga-Bulgars

3) Add new Principality of Smolensk faction (and insurgant faction) (NEEDS DISCOVERY - research!)

4) Add new Kingdom of Georgia faction (and insurgant faction) (NEEDS DISCOVERY - research!)
    Add Event of Demna rebellion (1177 AD), causing insurgant faction to rise & Tamar to become heir/leader (if George is dead)
    Add Event of Queen Tamar (when George III dies) as ambience event
    Add Event of Divorce of Yuri (1187 AD), causing insurgant faction to rise
    Add Event of Support Crusader States? (1220 AD) a choice of a georgian and mongol army spawning and fighting (very difficult battle, historically, Georgia lost)
    If rejected, either nothing happens or similar consequences as rejecting other option faction missions (NEEDS DISCOVERY - what does rejecting optional faction missions do?)
    If accepted and the battle is won, war is declared against Mongols, and huge monatary gain
    If accepted and the battle is lost, war is declared against Mongols, and a huge Mongol army spawns in Georgia
    Add Event of Tsotne Plot (1246 AD), Georgia can resurect, war is declared against Mongols, and a small Georgian army is spawned
    Add Event of David VI Uprising (1259 AD), Georgia can resurect, war is declared against Mongols, and a large Georgian army is spawned
    Add Event of David VIII Uprising (1295 AD), Georgia can resurect, war is declared against Mongols, and a huge Georgian army is spawned
    Add Event of George V the Brilliant (1313 AD) of reunifying Georgia, Georgia can resurect, and multiple armies spawn

5) Add new emerging faction, Second Bulgarian Empire (NEEDS DISCOVERY - research!)

6) Faction Improvements:
    Each faction recieves faction-unique quests
    Add conversion scripts for Mongols and Blue Horde (NEEDS DISCOVERY - are these already in the game?)
    Add unique buildings for each starting faction
    Add new capital settlement textures for each culture
    Add noble houses Ancillaries (Launcher can disable)

7) Building Improvements:
    Complex Agriculture - add buildings for different crops, and add more agricultural and military (milita) benefit to farmlands
    Historically significant buildings (such as the Hagia Sophia)
    Expand roads (add more buildings to provide more economic and military benefit)
    Add more universal decision building trees (and accompanying events)!
    Add noble house building to recruit other houses' princess and generals

8) Miscellaneous Bug fixes(NEEDS DISCOVERY):

9) Hopes & Dreams:
    Is there a way to see family trees of the noble families (maybe clicking the family tree button brings down event messages that can be clicked on)
    Lestvitsa lineage instead of
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Peanut2bigforyou; January 15, 2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Jan.15 Update

let me know how that goes dude?

The Rurikid dynasty heavily relied on rivers to control their slavic countrymen. Of particular import, the Volga river provided an easy route for merchants to trade with the far east through the Caspian Sea. The Volga-Bulgars, a recent convert to Islam, found their home on an important convergence of the Volga with her tributaries, within a maintainable, safe distance to the Caspian. With the nomadic peoples of the Steppe, especially the Cumans, trade along the Volga was the most desirable trade route to reach distant nations without going south and dealing with the Romans and the Seljuks. Out of the Russian states, the Principality of Vladimir arguably benefited from the Volga the most.

Devlog:
    Did a lot of prep work with backing files up (yup, I've already blundered), geomod work, and discovery of what I want with this patch.
    Added the first draft of the Volga river (game state, including ships and necessary buildings, do not reflect what 1.2 will be, and is just for display purposes)
    Also added some ports to regions that were coastal to seas but didn't have ports.

I'm planning on regularly updating my initial post with the patch changelog while commenting something like this post to show what I'm up to.
    Feel free to comment what you'd like to see with a 1.2 patch! If you're interested in seeing the file changes, I could start posting them as a sort of Alpha/Beta of 1.2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fowVolgaMap.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	363260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulgarRiverMap.jpg 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	363261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cumanRiverMap.jpg 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	363262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vladimirRiverPort.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	363263
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    let me know how that goes dude?
    Awesome to see such a quick response, glad I'm not making this just for myself!
    Last edited by Peanut2bigforyou; December 30, 2020 at 11:56 AM.

See if you can add more factions and change the names of the factions for more historic accuaracy. If there still unit slots open in the edu file then do so but with more diversity/variety like swordsmen units, missle units, pikemen units, and etc. If the mod still hasn't reached settlement limit then try to add more settlements if possible... mainly in the western balkan and bulgarian areas and in the cuman territory.

I'd love for there to be more factions (mod currently uses 24 out of 31), and I would love to see Smolensk, Ryazan, and Chernigov become principalities - and if they are added, it leaves one more faction available to add (since principalities would need a shadow faction), and I think an emerging Bulgaria faction would be awesome!

However, I have no experience in adding units or making unit textures, which is the main reason I'm not going to be adding factions in 1.2. So unfortunately that also means I won't be adding more units to the EDU for variety. I also only have historic knowledge of medieval Russia, so I don't really know too much about Bulgaria, so I'd need to do some research on them.

The mod currently has maxed out the settlements, but I'm going to remove villages, especially near capitals, in order to place more towns in exactly where you want them (focusing on the navigable rivers). I'll go ahead and add that to the changelog, actually. Another change I'd like is to make the capitals of the other starting factions have the city/castle double settlement treatment the principalities get. I think the plan will be to have all starting faction capitals have a castle and two villages and add one or two regions to both the Danube and Volga:
    +10 regions from removing two villages from Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod, Constantinople, and Krakow (each previously had 4)
    -7 regions to give castles to each starting faction capital
    -5 regions to have 2 villages for each non-principality starting faction (0 to Poland, 0 to Bulgars, 1 to Seljuks, 0 to Romans, +1 to Hungary, 1 to Lithuania, and 2 to Denmark)
    -2 regions to add to the Danube & Volga
    -6 regions to add castles & monasteries to Smolensk, Chernigov, and Ryazan
    Which means I'll need to remove 10 villages from some other places, possibly meaning non-capitals don't have 2 villages anymore, which I can live with (if I make that a hard rule, that means we could add another region to the Danube and Volga, and still have villages to spread around).

Maybe a good amount of this will be pushed off to a 1.3 patch. Once I get the main parts of 1.2 finished, I'll make a thread for the release of 1.2.1, and start seeing what can be done/what people want done, and if someone can help cover the areas of modding I'm unfamiliar with, I'd be interested in doing a 1.3 down the line!
    Last edited by Peanut2bigforyou; December 30, 2020 at 01:03 PM.

if you go to the main m2tw page there should be a guide on how to add more units to the game. Pm if you want my advices and such... I am currently making a patch for a mod called bare geomod. If you want to help me out i would appreciate the help. I have the bare geomod on moddb.com along with the patch ( however, if I were you I would not download the current one bc it has many crashes so I am redoing it again to make it better ).

Made a lot of behind the scenes progress (hand modifying the descr_regions sure takes a long time). Religions got a tune up, most notably that the Russian principalities now borrows the idea from the Britannia expansion; their churches now preach different cultural differences in the Orthodox Church, effectively giving each principality their own religion.

Also make great progress (albeit invisible) on region changes. Unfortunately a little over two dozen villages had to be moved around - most of them remain as villages, but a few have been upgraded to castles! This way, each starting faction's capital has the Rusichi feel, with the capital's castle being inaccessible without taking the city, and there still being a good amount of villages near the capital. All of the non-starting faction controlled cities that had two villages had to be demoted to only having one village. This way non-Russian factions have more of that Rusichi feel, while not taking too much away from the principalities.

As for expected hurdles, getting the capital settlement visuals, particularly for Constantinople (since its castle will be to the east of the city, whereas everywhere else will be to the south), is something I have never even looked at, so any info on how to accomplish that (I know Third Age is famous for their ability to make special settlement visuals) would be appreciated. I'm hoping to not just use the Russian culture look for each of the capitals, again, especially for Constantinople; but for now, it is a low priority goal.

Finally, there will be many changes to come to make the mod more historical, which primarily means two things: the Turks will start with about a third fewer regions, and Denmark may have to be renamed to Sweden (or we make Denmark into quite a small faction, which I'm not a fan of). If anyone has any opinions on how Denmark should change, I'm all ears.

1.2 isn't going to have any added factions, though Volga-Bulgar was never given a shadow faction, meaning they don't have the civil war event, which is a total shame. So, I'm planning on adding the shadow faction in for 1.2, to give each starting faction that Rusichi feel. That would mean there would be 6 faction slots remaining, which I think could work wonderfully for one or two other Russian principality factions, and I was thinking a Georgia faction would do wonders for the Seljuks, Mongols, and Cumans in that region, especially that the Volga would be part of the equation. Just food for thought, none of that is even planned for 1.2.

No pictures today, since not much has changed visually, but I plan on showing the map changes very soon. Happy New Year!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Look forward to the results. I always loved this mod, perhaps you might be able to borrow units?

achwell's Avatar Biarchus

cant waith for it

The Rurikid dynasty heavily relied on rivers to control their slavic countrymen. The Dnieper was arguably most important river early in the Rurikid dynasty, as it allowed the Rus to control the lands surrounding Kiev, as well as it providing access to the Black Sea; especially important, as it allowed the Rus to trade with the Eastern Roman Empire. Through this trade route, defining exchanges would happen between the early Rus and the Romans, including the Rus providing soldiers for the Varangian Guard, the Romans providing their princesses to establish the Rus as a respected dynasty, as well as the most defining exchange - Christianity. Kievan Rus was built upon the Dnieper, and as the dynasty became more fragmented and Principalities formed as separate states from Kiev, it remains as vital a river as an artery to the heart.

The Danube has a long and terrible history with the Romans. Across it came the Germanic warriors for centuries, until finally the Goths and then the Huns crossed her frozen waters, bringing the fall of the Western Roman Empire. However, the East yet stands, and as Rome's enemies encroach upon her heartland once more, the Danube provides an excellent natural border and defense for the rearguard. The myriad of European states in the 12th century now enjoy the great river for its many bounties, not least of which is access to the Black Sea. In many ways, it allows central Europe access to the East, guarded most by Hungary and the Romans, causing a bitter rivalry between the two great nations.

Devlog:
    It has been a while! I'm back to work, and progress has slowed down. I've done a lot of work with rivers this time, but in the interest of an update, I'll show the first drafts of the Dnieper and Danube, despite them looking quite rough!
    I've also changed the map quite substantially, even though the map may deceive how much it has changed. In total, I've removed 11 villages to add 10 capital castles, 3 new regions, and another monastery (1.1 had 3 unused regions), and moved 24 other villages to be other regions' villages (now all nations feel agricultural!). Finally, each nation has their own Capital Province, which has the capital region itself, two village regions, and, of course, the castle accessible only by first taking the capital's city proper. I've also been adding plenty of permanent forts and watchtowers, so with the rivers, the map is really starting to feel lively - I can't wait to see a host of manned forts with plenty of trade occurring in the rivers!

I've also been doing some research and planning on what to add to Rusichi, and I've updated the changelog/plan quite a bit. I plan to eventually get to making a 2.0, featuring new factions (Principality of Smolensk, Kingdom of Georgia, and the emerging Second Bulgarian Empire)! Please feel free to suggest anything you'd like to see - the changelog/plan is quite malleable. Denmark has also begun the change to the Kingdom of Sweden, as the map and start date really didn't reflect Danish control very well, and despite Swedish history being quite illusive, I think making the change will fit better and make this already wonderfully unique mod stand out just a touch more - though these changes will mostly be superficial. I'll attach the zip of my progress so far, in case you're interested on my progress, and what to expect - but be warned! It is very much a work in progress, and you should backup the files, just in case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de522c18c289ed2a66b14bc648f3842a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	367.2 KB 
ID:	363323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8d29a71b6301b1e1e999c4c2bee71caa.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	967.9 KB 
ID:	363324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445b940a8a5517f4383edb881e3f365d.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	363325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32813cbeb98bf2ab19983bf00b9f32df.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	363326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	398053314c6aace2a728d70c93d29d6c.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	433.5 KB 
ID:	363327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2a234de3c93a845ec1cc154138e95ff1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	363328

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Look forward to the results. I always loved this mod, perhaps you might be able to borrow units?
    I appreciate the support! This mod has always captured my imagination, and I was blown away by the city/castle idea. I plan to do that, but not until I finish 1.2 - the workload is a bit much for me to tag that on with the other changes.

Quote Originally Posted by achwell View Post
    cant waith for it
    Thanks, I'm excited myself! I've studied Russian medieval history, so this mod is amazing for me. I've always wanted the Russian rivers to be more prominent, and I've always wished the other factions got the love Russia got, too. I'm really looking forward to a fourth Russian Principality, especially Smolensk right dab in the middle of the rest, but now that the Capital is there, I won't be touching that Principality much until 1.2 is finished!

Like what I see here! Keep up the great work! I am always looking for talented ppl to help me with my patch for bare geomod. Don't decide now but when you want let me know if you want to help me. If I were you... try to add the prussians, lithuanians, wallachia, bulgarian, and moldovians ( i know that won't be possible but it would be nice to see those factions ). Each faction should have enough units in all areas to give more diversity and variety as well.

Devlog:
    I've made some progress in a few areas, and I've put map work back on the TODO, as that was becoming a bit of a grind to finish. I've been able to make the Faction Select page flushed out with maps and descriptions, as well as make Denmark appear as the Kingdom of Sweden (which is what the faction select maps listed it as anyway!). Changes from the 8th and today has been mostly visual and ambience, and once I finish the WIP with Ambience, I'll move on to fleshing out constructed buildings in the settlements so factions can start recruiting better units and settlements resemble their level of advancement at the time.

A few issues I've run into:
    Better Water 2 (by DAVIDE) doesn't appear to have changed anything in battles - if anyone has experience using DAVIDE's mod successfully, a little help would be much appreciated!
    Similarly, MapMod: Trees, Textures, Sea v1.0 (by Charge) also doesn't appear to have changed the models used in the campaign map, again, any help would be appreciated!

I'd say I'm roughly halfway done with the 1.2 patch, so in the meantime, enjoy Tsardoms! https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...mpaign-Release (I know I have, maybe that explains some of the dev slowdown? )

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    Like what I see here! Keep up the great work! I am always looking for talented ppl to help me with my patch for bare geomod. Don't decide now but when you want let me know if you want to help me. If I were you... try to add the prussians, lithuanians, wallachia, bulgarian, and moldovians ( i know that won't be possible but it would be nice to see those factions ). Each faction should have enough units in all areas to give more diversity and variety as well.
    Thanks for continued encouragement! I'll get back to you about geomod once I finish 1.2, that is another mod that deserves more love! And haha I would love to flesh out the mod with even more factions, but to keep the spirit of this game, each starting faction should have its own insurgent faction, meaning once Smolensk and Georgia are added (and Lithuania and Volga Bulgar get their own insurgents) we unfortunately will only have 1 more faction slot - which means it must be an emerging faction, and I believe Bulgaria would be the most interesting, well-known faction that improves the game play (after all, the Eastern Roman Empire should be declining, and the game should simulate that!)

Bulgaria is a great faction to use. Keep up the great work! must sure each faction deserve the attention and love they deserve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12