Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Goths All Factions V2.4 for BI 1.6 Released

I'm having CTD problems where sometimes when I enter a battlemap, the game simply crashes. I reload, go back to the same battle, no crashes. I've modded a few things, but those are movement points and tweak some building bonuses, nothing regarding the battles themselves.
    Does happen to anyone else? It is currently ruining my eastern roman game pretty bad =(

ya thats whats happening to me^, Im now saving b4 each battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Villain31
    Hey Goth and thank you for all the work you've put into this mod it's made the money i spent on BI worth it. However I'm currently experiencing a bug where whenever I (Goths) attack certain Roxolani armys the game CTD after the battle finishes loading. Its early in the game and my forces include: Gothic Lancers, Gothic Spearman, Gothic Raiders, Steppe Bowman (thier card is currently the dark peasant btw and they are a unit i aquired during 'horde' and now that i'm restablished they are still in my army but with zero upkeep cost). I think it has something to do with the Generals as it seems that the game crashes more often when a general is involved in the battle. (unsure if theres ever been one where there wasnt a general).

I hope this info helps, Im not a modder so my general idea is just speculation.

Thx again

EDIT: K well after playing some more I dont think that the Roxolani are the problem as it is now CTDin every couple battles regardless of whether im fighting them or the ERE. Not so sure about the general theory anymore either
    hopes this helps
    Hi everyone i am back off holiday, feeling a little jetlagged but i will try to answer all your questions and solve any problems. Firstly i need all the info i can get off you if you are having problems, info such as which patch you are playing etc. Be careful that you have installed the official 1.6 patch for bi before installing the mod as the mod includes darths gameplay fixes and it will not work in battle mode if you have installed the mod over an unpatched bi.
    Once this is done install the mod and then patch 2.2.1, I am currently playing with patch 2.2.1 and am not having any problems with crashing. If you are playing the mod without applying 2.2 or 2.2.1 patch then the game may crash with certain units in the game because early releases had a lot of problems with sprites so give me as much info as possible.

Thanks
    Goth

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

Hi Goth! First of all I want to thank you for your effort in the mod! It’s great!
    Currently is 385ad and things are getting nicer in the roman frontier. I’m playing the RB and I want to continue ally with the WRE and the ERE, trying to attack their enemies in order to help them.
    Actually the situation goes like this:
    1º North africa is lost to the berbers and WRE rebels till egypt.
    2º The huns are attacking near Mediolanum. I believe the WRE will hold them there, but who knows...
    3º I destroyed the allemani in Belgium. (They arrived there as a horde) But then I got kicked out by the saxons and lombardi!! I even lost two armies in the process!
    4º The main surprise are the vandals. After attacking everyone in their way trough germany they got almost wiped out in the rhine. But their small hordes passed the limes and joining efforts in the conquest of the city in normandy!!!! The WRE didn’t have any troops in the area and now I got vandals in front of Britain!

The main issue I see is that the WRE is raising armies every turn and their economy is doing quite well. It’s a little unhistorical (I play on VH/VH), but I will keep eveyone informed about the end of the story.
    Thanks again!

Diego, from argentina

Hi empedocles
    I am glad you are enjoying it. The problem with a very powerful WRE is a problem with bi i am afraid. the AI over compensates and gives too many production bonuses to WRE when WRE is a computer player. The only way to stop a computer WRE becoming too powerful is to mod the game so that WRE has very little resources and very expensive units. Unfortunately this option makes it impossible for new players to play WRE and puts them off the mod, I have tried to go for balance in the game. WRE is harder than vanilla bi but not as hard as atillas bi mod as WRE. I have tried to go for the middle ground.
    Just a quick note about a bug that has been reported in patch 2.2.1 and that is the sarmatian armoured archers can cause a CTD so if you come across this unit in the game then auto resolve the battle. the bug will be fixed in the next patch.
    The next patch looks quite promising as Kali has further developed the recoloured skins i did with beautiful shields and new armour, they look very impressive. Also Maksim has aquired some new hun models and skins from russia which also look very impressive, these will all be included in the next patch. If anyone wishes to contribute any skins or files to the mod please post them here. All contributions are most welcome.

Thanks

Goth

Hey Goth!
    First of all, thanks for the great mod. I've found it more balanced than Flagellum Dei so it's my choice. Anyway, we all use

great Atilla's skins.
    You damned right with the problem described in previous topic. I think it's almost impossible to balance the game "at all",

only for certain faction. To do this correctly you must know which faction you'll play! I've seen so many examples of it

since entering RTW/BI that i already bored with ones. When i played ALL my RTR campaigns i EVERY time rebalanced the game

depending on which faction i'll play! The real problem that we don't deal with is that game intended to play with Romans (WRE

or ERE). Also Huns are quite good (try vanilla and you'll see this!). Other factions...there are chances for anything!
    Do you have a plans to continue a mod? If so, i have a some stupid ideas for you:

1) Remove all remaining stupid units: warhounds, priests, etc. I'am not sure about golden band and gallowglasses (needs

research on barbarians!). But certainly they must be removed from mercenary pool: barb "heroes" wouldn't serve Rome and

romans NEVER used picts as mercenary and foederati.
    2) Gives mercenary_units ability to a MOST of barbarian units. So many reasons for this! Remember about hunnic mercenaries in

roman, goth's and another armies of this time! And how could you represent battle at Chalons without barbarian tribes armies?
    The best way to represent ones is make them available as mercenaries!
    3) Connected with 2). Revamp all mercenary recruitment system. It won't take much time. Coding and testing take a 2 or 3 days

I think.
    4) It must be point 2) but i forgot! A new map needed. At least, like Atilla's with more regions in WRE and ERE. To balance

the economy of two empires won't be so difficult as you think. If someone find right starting point for that it will be

easy. Anyway you always rely on public beta testing (he-he). And of course work with mercenary system must me done AFTER work

with new map.
    5) And most difficult question: reskinning of remaining barbarian units. I don't know can we rely on Atilla at the time? I

have hopes he'll comeback soon! (:-)). I hear you make models and skins yourself? I can help, scanning a pictures from

various books (mostly Osprey) and sending to your by mail.

Thanks for your comments viper, there are some great suggestions there. What i intend for the mod in the future is this.
    The main thing is the reskinning of all remaining units to a point where it is generally pleasing to the eye. I think the game is about as balanced as i can make it and anymore tweaking will upset as many people as it pleases. The last patch of this mod should look like this
    All skins done to a point where the majority of people are happy with it.
    Game balancing already done
    Perhaps an inclusion of wre and ere rebels as playable factions
    All bugs fixed
    Any suggestions between now and the time that all these criteria are met will be considered (inluding your ideas viper) for inclusion in the mod.
    Once the last patch has been released(and that doesnt mean the next patch out will be the last) and has been found to be bug free , i will reupload the mod in its entirety with its own installer so people dont get confused with copying and pasting.

Thats the broad outline of the plan. Any contributions in the form of units, splashscreens,music, unit cards etc that are recieved will go in the readme as co developers.
    those so far are
    Atilla, Seleukos, Darth, Kali , Maksim , Dick and Alxcruel

Thanks

Goth

Ooooh no! Please post two links if possible - one for self-installing mod and one for usual rar! I hate those execs!
    If it's not clear i can help you with next (may be 3.x) releases and implement all ideas in a mod. If you interested in such a cooperation write me by e-mail. We can discuss all things by mail.

Wow!!! I had the occasional CTD at 415AD during Sarmatian Turn! Does it happens to anybody else? Testing with 2.2.1 version.
    Some IMHO about campaign at all (i rolled it since beginning to 415 ... then see above).
    1) WRE is stronger and ERE is weaker than must be! Not only results showed it, but many other things. For example WRE keep

really HUGE armies in compare with ERE. As a result, at 415 ERE lost ALL territories except Greece, while WRE left almost

untouched, lost only 3-4 provinces at Africa, 2-3 at Gallia and some others. I feel it's something wrong with economy of both

empires!
    2) AI especially WRE VERY like to cheat with peasants making a huge armies filled with ones! So we must remove them for

romans, at least for WRE. May me it'll help to balance WRE military strength.
    3) Of course, all units must be balanced in number, recruitment and upkeep costs to make barbarian factions STRONGER.
    4) Hordes too weak! May be only at the start of the game were as good as we wants. Certainly it would be good to make some

things to deal with it...
    P.S.: Plaing Atilla's IB:FD v.4.1 Gold ... and see the same thing! Strong WRE and collapsing ERE! What the **** with this AI!
    i'll screw this...

Hello to all guys!
    I put my files here specially for Goth's testing but if somebody else interested in - welcomes to open test!
    What are the changes?
    1) Changes in trade bonuses: ERE got extra bonuses, WRE and Sassanid lost it, barbarians, nomads and huns remained intact.
    2) ERE got more happiness bonuses from their core building. Now it's almost impossible for experienced human player to get rebellions while playing ERE. Howewer, AI still have this problem (ha-ha-ha!!!).
    3) I remove warhounds, druids, priests. Let's get this crap away!
    4) Massive overhaul in export_description_unit. I used an idea of Boudicca (respect!) and gave 0 turn recruitment for most of non-roman basic infantry and some cavalry unit. Only inf unit with prefixes "chosen", "golden", "noble", "heavy" and advanced cavalry units have 1 turn. Even warlords have a single turn recruitment! Only sassanid immortals recruted in 2 turns.
    5) To made game even more challenging I halved the recruitment cost for ALL non-roman units. Moreover, for basic units such as spearmen, light cavalry, swordsmen i removed the upkeep cost at all. Now AI can recruit and keep really big and strong armies, challenging roman player.
    6) Hun faction is a special one! ALL hunnic faction-specific units have three times less recruitment and 0 upkeep cost. I did this to emphasize a nomadic kind of the faction (little dependence on supply.).
    7) Ooohhh!!! Almost forgot: i removed peasants for WRE and ERE so they can't train them any more.

So, what all this changes resulted in? I tested as usually by selecting celtic faction and doing nothing except defence of Ireland (in this way you can't interfere with stupid AI). I have done three full rolls since 363 to the end.

1) First try. WRE collapsed under the strikes of of enemies! Allemani in north-east Gallia and Northern Italy, franks shared remaining part. Ostrogoths in Illyria, Dalmatia and Pannonia. Vandals in Central and South Italy. Vandals and Lombardii in Spain.
    North Africa and South Spain belonged to WRE rebels. WRE destroyed as a faction in 472 AD (sic!).
    At the east ERE managed to hold all regions in Europe and Egypt, but lost half of Asia Minor, Judea and Syria.
    2) Second try. WRE have falled again, this time at 465 AD. Only changes are in composition of attacking barbarian tribes (burgundii, vandals, goths, saxons and franks again). At the east ERE kept Egypt and Judea but again lost Syria and ALL asia Minor! My first feeling Sassanids are too strong!
    3) Third try. WRE remained on a feets but at 442 AD kept only 1/3 in North Spain, 2 neighboring provinces in Gallia, Italy south to Ravenna and Sicily. Other provinces again splitted between different conquerrors and WRE haven't enough economic and military power to take them back. ERE lost Greece to Goths and Slavs, all but small part of Asia to Sassanids which even started to attack WRE rebels in Lybia.

You can see it differs from original Goth mod, where WRE remains intact during the game! ERE have a different problem: it very difficult to balance it properly. When i played ERE with my additions it seems very easy to me, but AI struggled as yo've seen above. And I don't know how to deal with this...
    The next possible steps may be:
    1) Making more units especially hunnic and barbarian available as mercenaries. Re-done of mercenary pool.
    2) Making hordes (especially reemerging hordes) more strong and devastating. Now only initial hunnic and slavs doing well.
    3) Any good idea in the thread...

Ooohh!!!
    Noticed too late! I can't post attachments!
    If Goth interested in i send my files to him and he post it (i guess he have all rights).
    Write me PM guys if you want to get it by mail.

Nice work viper, it looks like you have been busy. If you email the alterd files to me i will upload them to RTR site as your version of the mod.

Cheers
    Goth

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Errm, Viper, you can use the edit button instead of triple posting like that. I know your new so i'm just giving yah a heads up incase you want to add another comment(or two, or three) to your original statement again.

PS:Sweet ideas however, it's guys like you that keep me from leaving RTW. :laughing:
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

hey how's it going all!

goth,

i downloaded the files and installed them...however, when i click to start a new campaign, i get a screen telling me to 'select an item on the list'...or something like that.

i also get knocked back to the previous screen when i try to initiate a custom battle. any ideas? i'm running on a clean install of bi, by the way.

thanks in advace!

pax

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

Hi Goths. I'm writing some feedback of your mod. This is what happened by 400ad.

WRE is stronger than ever, they lost all africa, but they are winning everywhere and have forced the burgundy to horde. They are in control of all poland, and half germany.
    The huns are no more (they attacked everybody and got wiped out 10 years ago). Same thing will happen to the franks and to the goths (their armies are near the rhine but they can't put together a full stack army).
    The saxons haven't moved from their initial position because.....when the allemani, the franks and the burgundy went horde they moved inmediatly to conquer Lille and settle there.
    It seems that those factions will allways move to lille when horde. (And this is how myself got every army I sent there wiped out!) I'm playing as the RB in vh/vh.

just FYI! and thanks for the mod!

Diego, from Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by viper1980
    Ooohh!!!
    Noticed too late! I can't post attachments!
    If Goth interested in i send my files to him and he post it (i guess he have all rights).
    Write me PM guys if you want to get it by mail.
    Here are vipers files.
    The changes he has made are superb and make for a very interesting game, this is not for the faint hearted I like it alot!
    Thanks Viper
    Download here http://forums.rometotalrealism.org/i...0&#entry196420

You want post number 74 , extract the files with winrar, and copy\paste them both into your bi\data folder

Goth

Thanks Goth for posting my files!
    Did you've already try it? How your feelings are?
    I've played with Hun faction on H/H. I found, that with proper strategy player can establish a 4-5 provinces state at the

beginning of the game, then developing it in the "superpower". Now i'am at 405 AD and able to raise and keep 7-8 full stack

armies of archers and cavalrymen! Real threat for a civilised world. After this game i'am sure that hunnic faction is a key

for recreating "historical" way of the game. If huns will be strong enough in the middle of the game they'll push other

factions on WRE and ERE, like in real life.
    Wow... I was carried away with huns! I almost forgot to ask you: have you a plans for a future updates of your beautifal mod?
    We could discuss plans, of course if you want...

Quote Originally Posted by veritek
    hey how's it going all!

goth,

i downloaded the files and installed them...however, when i click to start a new campaign, i get a screen telling me to 'select an item on the list'...or something like that.

i also get knocked back to the previous screen when i try to initiate a custom battle. any ideas? i'm running on a clean install of bi, by the way.

thanks in advace!

pax

My suspicion is that you have installed the files into the wrong directory, it may be wise to reinstall bi and install the mod again. If it occurs again then by all means let me know and i will investigate, but nearly all problems occur because either people are installing the mod over a copy of bi which already has a mod installed on it or it is being installed into the wrong directory.Please let me know how it goes

Hi Empedocles
    I am glad you are enjoying the game, I am currently writing patch 2.3 and i have to say it is going well, I am adding kalis bi reskins which are superior to my own and have also added the new huns by dick and alxcruel which were supplied by maksim. I am also currently testing with vipers new files and am enjoying it very much. I dont know yet if i should release vipers files as an extra set of files for players who are experienced as i think it will be too hard for new players(its kicking my arse as wre anyway!).

Hi Viper
    Thanks for those files, I am going to email you to see if we can implement some more of your ideas by the time the new patch is going to be released

Thanks

Goth

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Where can we see these new Huns Goth? I'd like to see some screens.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

I cannot upload anything to TWC im afraid, not a file or a picture , the only place i can upload to is RTR Forums and at the moment my attatchments limit has been reached. I will clear it for thursday or friday and post some new screens.

Goth