Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ###UPDATED### WOLVES/WARDOG UNIT MINI MOD

Default Re: WOLVES/WARDOG UNIT MINI MOD - for personal use or modding

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Great submod. This submod makes the OotMM and OoG more appealing. Thank you very much!
    I plan on releasing some updates soon so they should get better

Looks great I'll try it out asap!
    Also what do you mean by this ? Are you releasing more units ? If so, that would be great ! I'm looking for some xD

Okay they're an awesome addition !
    Now, there's a few things that could be improved on them (I know you never said it was a finished and polished version):

1. Balance the unit :p It's way too strong I think. I see them more like a cheap and weaker alternative to wargs. The only thing that makes them good is their number. Am I right on this ? (haven't read Tolkien's book for a while !)
    2. Give them a death animation (when they die there's a blink and they're to the ground in a sec ).
    3. Make them look more wolves-like, and probably frightening wolves (dark-haired ?). They do look like wardogs right now :p

I'll run some tests right now and give you a proposition for more accurate stats, if you don't mind ? (that is the only thing I can do to help, as I don't know how to do the other 2 things).

Edit : Stats proposition (weaker, but I also made them available with the first level of stable, but low avaibility)
    I changed their number (reduced), their charge damage (they were raping a unit of arnor militia like flies... seemed too strong to me), their cost + upkeep accordingly and finally their moral (lowered + got rid of "lock_morale"). Thoughts ?
    type WolvesG
    dictionary WolvesG ; Wolves
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier Elephant_Crew4, 28, 28, 1
    mount wardog_elephants
    mount_effect horse -2
    attributes very_hardy, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, power_charge, hide_anywhere, can_swim, can_withdraw,
    formation 2.2, 2.2, 4.4, 4.4, 1, horde
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 4, 10, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr area
    stat_pri_armour 1, 0, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 2, 0, metal
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 5, -5, 3, 5
    stat_mental 10, low, trained
    stat_charge_dist 60
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 400, 150, 100, 100, 400, 2, 150
    armour_ug_levels 0
    armour_ug_models Never
    ownership portugal, hre
    era 0 portugal, hre
    era 1 portugal, hre
    era 2 portugal, hre
    Last edited by Ourk; January 13, 2011 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourk View Post
    Okay they're an awesome addition !
    Now, there's a few things that could be improved on them (I know you never said it was a finished and polished version):

1. Balance the unit :p It's way too strong I think. I see them more like a cheap and weaker alternative to wargs. The only thing that makes them good is their number. Am I right on this ? (haven't read Tolkien's book for a while !)
    2. Give them a death animation (when they die there's a blink and they're to the ground in a sec ).
    3. Make them look more wolves-like, and probably frightening wolves (dark-haired ?). They do look like wardogs right now :p

I'll run some tests right now and give you a proposition for more accurate stats, if you don't mind ? (that is the only thing I can do to help, as I don't know how to do the other 2 things).

Edit : Stats proposition (weaker, but I also made them available with the first level of stable, but low avaibility)
    I changed their number (reduced), their charge damage (they were raping a unit of arnor militia like flies... seemed too strong to me), their cost + upkeep accordingly and finally their moral (lowered + got rid of "lock_morale"). Thoughts ?
    Thanks for the feedback I know about the death animation and the growl one jumps slightly but I'm no animator so I need someone who can do it.

I'll try to make them look more like wolves than dogs, I did give the animations to some wargs but it didn't work and their skin stretched

And I am doing some testing with the unit currently, I could make alternate downloads for the two things you said

Quote Originally Posted by Ourk View Post
    Looks great I'll try it out asap!
    Also what do you mean by this ? Are you releasing more units ? If so, that would be great ! I'm looking for some xD
    The modding team I am working with have more units but they are for a separate sub mod. But there are some things to do with this unit first before I do other stuff
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; January 13, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Default Re: ###UPDATED### WOLVES/WARDOG UNIT MINI MOD

###UPDATED###

Very nice!!! You are a very talented modeler and animator. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Master Necromancer View Post
    Very nice!!! You are a very talented modeler and animator. +rep
    I'm better at scripting though but thanks. There is one annoying thing and that is the dogs when killed with a special attack die standing, a bit like the thing with the archers but I'm looking into it.

mattgoby's Avatar Campidoctor

The best thing that came out of our gungbang...

but anyways i hope you get all the rep you deserve, have some from me.
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

"us british our world war champions of the world"-AL MURRAY

Quote Originally Posted by mattgoby View Post
    The best thing that came out of our gungbang...

but anyways i hope you get all the rep you deserve, have some from me.
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... You guys are close then huh?

Very, i take it from the smiley you know what the gungbang thing is about
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

I think the numbers are fine the way they are, 100 per group is good, because i really doubt AI massing wolves tbh...but anyways my main point is, i think you should add "war dogs" to Rohan/Gondor, would be epic just my opinion

Looks great! the one thing i'd maybe change to have them look more like wolves is the ears. Right now the ears look more like those of a dog than a wolf. Here's a good reference pic to show what i'm talking about:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Otherwise though, they're absolutely fantastic.
    Last edited by illathid; January 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by illathid View Post
    Looks great! the one thing i'd maybe change to have them look more like wolves is the ears. Right now the ears look more like those of a dog than a wolf. Here's a good reference pic to show what i'm talking about:

Otherwise though, they're absolutely fantastic.
    Yeah, I need to change that but it's not priority at the moment, I'd like to get everything working properly first

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Mistake View Post
    I think the numbers are fine the way they are, 100 per group is good, because i really doubt AI massing wolves tbh...but anyways my main point is, i think you should add "war dogs" to Rohan/Gondor, would be epic just my opinion
    Hadn't though about that but sounds like a good idea

those war dog were really well done.

Lolyjoly123's Avatar Civis
    Croatia, a country near Italy if u wonder...

Nice mod, i really think it improves game play a lot. Just a question, do you think it can be compatible with FRoME?

+rep

It can be made compatible with frome but you would have to be a modder to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgoby View Post
    It can be made compatible with frome but you would have to be a modder to do it.
    Thanks for answering for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ross141995 View Post
    those war dog were really well done.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; February 01, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

LordJax's Avatar Laetus

OMG brilliant well done I love the textures they look like wolf or deer hounds and I think they are much more lore friendly than the Rottwielers of RTW originals, which I was always disappointed with so please make the textures available RTW . I have dreamed of war dogs for MTW2 since its release can I, may I use them in vanilla Medieval , I have been toying with Eotheses wardogs mod to no availe as his download link is broken and by the way megaupload is blocked by mt ISP so any chance of an alternative down load please?
    As far as wolves units wardog units being lore friendly to TATW I think you have hit upon something of massive potential anyone familiar with the Silmarillion would know the story of HUAN who helped Beren(Aragorn’s G.G.G grandfather )in the war against Morgoth even defeating Morgoth in battle when he fought as a werewolf , Morgoth not Huan . Perhaps whelps of Huan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huan_(Middle-earth)#Huan In my opinion the lay of beren and luthien is Tolkien’s best a truly epic tale (Luthien is Arwens G.G.G grandmother ) not as incestuous as it first seems being from the races of elves and men respectively and divided by a thousand generations , but I think Huan would make a great hero uint fir Eriador or Arnor or even the Elves .Any way this is becoming a big post sorry .

Ps 1 brilliant well done

2 please another download link

3 Huan an absolute must .

4 Some help putting a, wardogs in MTW2 and your fine textures into RTW

LordJax's Avatar Laetus

just another idea, but what if the free people of eriador could mount hobbits on hounds of huan

hobbitry mounted on fierce hounds descedants of Huan I think wargs would need to run and hide

hobbits on hounds

just even sounds good

ps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12