Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Reports for 6.4! - Post CTDs in a new topic!

Gpower's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Bug Reports for 6.4!

There is a typo in the EDCT file: The witch traits "magic traits" gives increase to piety instead of magic, contrary to it's trait description and *probably* original intent.

L0N3W07F's Avatar Libertus

Three things.

1) I get no intro video even though the credits still acknowledge it. Always got one in 6.2 and during the brief time I played with 6.3 as well. Is that normal?

2) Certain unit types added since 6.2 (I don't know what 6.3 may have done about this) do not reply on the battlefield when selected. One example I have encountered are Sicilian Miles, which could say "Knights!" or, if that is historically inaccurate, take a stock "Cavalry!" or "Heavy Cavalry!" from the Byzantine sounds since the same voice actor did both factions. The problem is more common among the Byzantines, whose unit roster has seen much more turnover. The new units could say something so simple as "Archers!", "Heavy Infantry!", or "Cavalry!" depending on what they are. I am not naming specific units in this case because it is a widespread issue for the Byzantines.

3) A possible historical error. Under Real Recruitment (and perhaps even without it) the Byzantine pike unit is not scheduled to enter the game until the 1500's. In history, the empire fell in 1453, yet Byzantine tactical manuals instruct their generals as to how pikemen should be used, and we know they existed from other sources. Clearly, the Byzantines should have access to these much earlier.
    Of course there must be a dilemma among the makers of Stainless Steel as to how to maintain balance between Dark Ages Europe which was just beginning to see which way was up in this period and a nation that was actually far more advanced from the beginning but in the gradual and only occasionally arrested process of decay, and on the whole I can't fault them for making a difficult choice. I think that this balance is properly kept by leaving the Byzantines with some Scoutatoi, Scholarii, etc. at the beginning and making them "regain" access to these units. Still, to keep them from getting the all-necessary pikemen that they really had all through the period until after the Feudal Knights are all but obsolete would constitute too much of a stretch as far as I'm concerned.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by L0N3W07F View Post
    3) A possible historical error. Under Real Recruitment (and perhaps even without it) the Byzantine pike unit is not scheduled to enter the game until the 1500's. In history, the empire fell in 1453, yet Byzantine tactical manuals instruct their generals as to how pikemen should be used, and we know they existed from other sources. Clearly, the Byzantines should have access to these much earlier.
    The Romans did not use long pikes during the period covered by the game. The later pike unit that they get is a "what-if" unit: if the empire had survived past 1453, it's likely that they would've adopted more western battle tactics, i.e. pikes.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

I've got two Norwegian Merchants as well as a Priest, all aged 20 hanging out around Bergen - which is kind of funny, since Norway have been destroyed for 50-some years.

I noticed in Nottingham and Winchester the practice range produces longbowmen but archery range and above replaces it with crossbowmen. I wonder if its intentional.

Edit: I am playing as french @ around turn 140 now.
    Last edited by LittleWeiz; January 18, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    I've got two Norwegian Merchants as well as a Priest, all aged 20 hanging out around Bergen - which is kind of funny, since Norway have been destroyed for 50-some years.
    Yes this has been noted.

The spawning script doesn't currently check to see if the faction still exists. This didn't use to be a problem AFAIK. A revised script is available from the Roz Mini-Mod Pack. I expect an official fix will be posted in due course which incorporates a check.

newt's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWeiz View Post
    I noticed in Nottingham and Winchester the practice range produces longbowmen but archery range and above replaces it with crossbowmen. I wonder if its intentional.

Edit: I am playing as french @ around turn 140 now.

It's a bug. Practice range makes them available at the heavy mail event at year 100, archery range makes them available at the english archers event at year 170-190.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    The Romans did not use long pikes during the period covered by the game. The later pike unit that they get is a "what-if" unit: if the empire had survived past 1453, it's likely that they would've adopted more western battle tactics, i.e. pikes.
    I may be wrong, but I had heard of a polearm called the 'menavlion'. Perhaps calling it a 'pike' was a mistake on my part; I often think of them as a similar concept. I agree that they did not have long pikes like the Flemish, so a unit with those would be no more than a good what-if in my perspective as well, but I think the 'wielders of the menavlion' did exist in history, and it is even this weapon for which the Stainless Steel unit is named. In fact, I would have to say that the unit is equipped and skinned just as I would have imagined it based on the menavlion concept that I am talking about.

Nevertheless, I am willing to be proven wrong. Since the Byzantines (Rhomanoi) are my favorite faction, and I have a great interest in history, I would love to have a chance to check into this further. If it's not too much to ask, could you tell me what sources were used to create this faction?

Fred Putz's Avatar Ordinarius

Not really a bugreport, but i´ve seen some things while doing the translation. Just had a look at the german files - so perhaps some more english ones are "wrong" (just looked at that english lines that were wrong in german)

I´m just at the end of A in the VNVS.txt - will update that when finished (or the progress is more advanced again - atm my eyes need a break) if You want it. Will do that for the ancillaries too of course - but still my focus will be on the translation.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

in the () is written what´s wrong. correct values without ().

Movement points: in points not in 5% steps
    activly disloyal: +2 dread (+3dread)
    adv eastern ed: authority (too much)
    adv greek ed: authority (too much), +1P (?)
    adv military ed: authority (too much)
    adv pagan ed: authority (too much)
    adv western ed: authority (too much)
    assassin´s guild journeyman: +1 personal security (missing)
    atheist: -3 piety (-6 piety)
    awkward speaker: -1 Law, -1 Morale (missing)
    German Translation for Stainless Steel
    6.2 RR/RC; 6.3, 6.4
    Projects / Submods
    Alternative AI-Economy (money script) StSt 6.2 RR/RC; StSt 6.3, 6.4; TATW; CoW; Resource for Your Mod
    Alternative Recruitment StSt 6.4
    Suggestions
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away!

Don´t forget to check out these Mods sooner or later:
    Shizoku no Senso - 1648 - Conquer the World

Rock´n´Roll!

Might not be a bug but I figured I'd post it. When in battle as of late I have been listening to the Generals pre-battle motivational speech. Seems to me like he starts one speech and then midway through switches to another. Im listening to the Kaiser against the Papal States and Sicily.

Also in one battle I couldnt see the damage indicator to tell how damaged the walls are until they hit 100% damaged. I was close enough to tell, I was within ballista tower range. In the following battle having changed nothing it worked as it should.
    Last edited by chris7ian; January 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Oh, for Heaven's sake, now you're being deliberately stupid.
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Wudang why did you close the thread? Because you can't find a source refuting mine? LoL how's the quest to ban me going?

FRom late campaign descr_events:

event historic inquisition
    date 5 10

event historic MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS
    date 5 55

event historic Francis_of_Assisi
    date 6

event flood netherlands_flood
    date 8
    position 101, 214

event historic inquisition
    date 14

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Noted

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by L0N3W07F View Post
    I may be wrong, but I had heard of a polearm called the 'menavlion'. Perhaps calling it a 'pike' was a mistake on my part; I often think of them as a similar concept. I agree that they did not have long pikes like the Flemish, so a unit with those would be no more than a good what-if in my perspective as well, but I think the 'wielders of the menavlion' did exist in history, and it is even this weapon for which the Stainless Steel unit is named. In fact, I would have to say that the unit is equipped and skinned just as I would have imagined it based on the menavlion concept that I am talking about.

Nevertheless, I am willing to be proven wrong. Since the Byzantines (Rhomanoi) are my favorite faction, and I have a great interest in history, I would love to have a chance to check into this further. If it's not too much to ask, could you tell me what sources were used to create this faction?
    The Menaulatoi weren't used during the medieval period. Discussion thread here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=398408

I cant give you any sources as they're mostly all in Greek (plus I was just the guy making the units ). The CBUR project is made up of the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to medieval Romans. If you want to know more, check out the CBUR forum (link in my sig)

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Thanks for the links, Caesar Clivus. They clear a lot of things up. Looks like this was a very hot topic! Anyway, Gnostiko certainly did his research, and I don't feel qualified to argue with someone who has put the time in like that. This just enhances my appreciation of how much work has gone into Stainless Steel. Great job!

I ran SS6.4, gone to video settings and changed the battle mode from "1280x1024" to "1024x768" and unit detail from high to extreme.
    I then tried to run a custom battle with england vs. Sicily, but an ugly and awful thing has happened:

Attachment 134299

While it was loading, the same thing happens: it appears as the 1280x1024 image is printed on the 1024x768 screen, which causes the right and bottom parts not to fit. After I pressed the "Start Battle" button, I received an error message, that Medieval 2 Total war has encountered an unspecified error. I pressed the "ok" button and the game ended.

I also have MSC 5.03. Don't know if that is relevant...

Perhaps this helps:
    02:09:48.210 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1595, column 14
    Unrecognised: 'Hashishim' as a region resource class (or hidden resource)
    02:10:09.317 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Zenith_Zenith; January 18, 2011 at 06:20 PM.

And yet another problem: I was assaulting a small town with genoa. I had a unit of peasant crossbowmen. The problem is that, though it was written "reloading", they did nothing. which means I could not use them! They were not firing!
    Is there a way to fix this?

the peasant crossbowmen supposed to shoot from outside the town walls. The battering ram didn't yet break the gate.

Where were they? Sometimes they won't shoot. This is a vanilla bug.

I get a crash when I attack antioch.

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    Where were they? Sometimes they won't shoot. This is a vanilla bug.
    they were outside the small town wall, thinking about shooting those after the wall. perhaps they cannot shoot like archers (that is, if there is a wall between them and the target, perhaps they are not able to shoot a bit up, as the archers do). However, wasn't this possible with the vanilla?

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS975 View Post
    I get a crash when I attack antioch.
    Others have encountered a problem like that. We are still working on it. You might want to have a look at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=417615&page=2 and the thread it links to, which talk about siege battles crashing to the desktop. You may find that it is the same problem and get help there. By the way, the moderators would want me to mention also that this thread is for bugs that do not cause crashes.