Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Necrons v. Tyranids: Who is the Bigger Threat?

Default Re: Necrons v. Tyranids: Who is the Bigger Threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Plant View Post
    A god is 40k is whatever is powerful enough to call itself a god, create acts of godlike power and be worshipped.
    Whether or not they gain power from worship isn't relavent. Afterall the defining of God is defined from these gods themselves.
    Afterall you cannot use abrahamic religions as a basis for the defining of god for a fictional universe.
    I didn't use Abrahamic conventions when I made my statement I used universal notions of divinity. All religions regardless of type, in regards to gods, agree on a few things. They should be vastly powerful, independent of those they created and/or are placed above, and should be immortal either immortal from aging or immortal from dying, or both.

It's also common sense if you don't meet all of the above criteria your not a god, just a vastly powerful being. Which is not the same thing. If you don't meet all of the above criteria your really not much better off then me and I'm just a not so humble badass mortal.

Well, you get all sorts in 40k.

I mean, the C'tan are one sort of "god", the Eldar pantheon another, the gods of chaos presumably akin to the definition of the Eldar pantheon. Then you have the case of the Emprah. Heck, even the Tau are accused of "worship" of the greater good. By some measures, that concept could qualify as a god.

And of course, Gork and Mork!

Even some of the Marines chapters "revere" their primarchs in such a way that, even if they deny the divinity of the primarch, borders, or is in all but name, flatly spiritual worship.

Basically hero worship.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    I didn't use Abrahamic conventions when I made my statement I used universal notions of divinity. All religions regardless of type, in regards to gods, agree on a few things. They should be vastly powerful, independent of those they created and/or are placed above, and should be immortal either immortal from aging or immortal from dying, or both.

It's also common sense if you don't meet all of the above criteria your not a god, just a vastly powerful being. Which is not the same thing. If you don't meet all of the above criteria your really not much better off then me and I'm just a not so humble badass mortal.
    I was more of replying to Del Valle, as well as a general blanket statement. Still, your definition of a god is still abrahamic in origin. Greek gods were not vastly powerful and were frequently affected by each other and mortals. They weren't immortal either and were immortal through eating a some sort of food. Looking further eastwards often reveals that dieties were seen more of what we would term spirits. Either way, it is pointless to use real world definitions of god, to define a god in a work of fiction. They are called gods in 40k, mostly because they are so powerful, they can call themselves whatever they want.

The Emperor never called himself a god; it was a cult that sprung up sometime afterwards, which gained influence, and was used as a common culture to unite the Imperium. Plus the Emperor, is supposed to be an allegory of Jesus; a man who never called himself god, but was used as the foundation of a religion.
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    As a more immediate threat? Tyranids. There is no telling how long it will take for the Necrons to fully mobilize while the Tyranids are guaranteed to arrive relatively soon. Once the Necrons do mobilize then they are more likely the greater threat but I think they're more long term.

Unless the Tyranids wake all the Necrons up in which it's just a cluster**** of morbid death for everyone involved.
    If arnie wakes up its all over.

Arnie?

So basically the writers are saving necrons and tyr for them to fight it out destroying themselves saving the galaxy.

All puppetered by the eldar, the aftermath however will bring forth another coming of chaos bla bla bla

Also throw in goodies like human tau eldar alliance, discovery of certain old age schematichs etc.

Either way it will be a faun timmee

Quote Originally Posted by userstupidname View Post
    So basically the writers are saving necrons and tyr for them to fight it out destroying themselves saving the galaxy.

All puppetered by the eldar, the aftermath however will bring forth another coming of chaos bla bla bla

Also throw in goodies like human tau eldar alliance, discovery of certain old age schematichs etc.

Either way it will be a faun timmee
    That is a totally theory is completely inconceivable as it does not coincide with the inevitable ork take over of the universe
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Keep telling yourself that........
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    Keep telling yourself that........
    Yeah, what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Arnie?
    The austrian death machine, The Governator, you know:

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

That... was... wicked, man.

Um, what da feth?....

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Hmmm.... Between Necrons & Tyranids, if I had to choose ... I'd say Outlaw.

All the way. He's the biggest threat to our Galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Hmmm.... Between Necrons & Tyranids, if I had to choose ... I'd say Outlaw.

All the way. He's the biggest threat to our Galaxy.
    Why thank you good sir, I aim to please.... In all the wrong ways.

Does anyone really know the full strength level of the necrons or nids? there could be enough nids to swallow the whole galaxy in one gulp or even millions of undiscovered necron tomb worlds probably in places already densely inhabited.
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    Does anyone really know the full strength level of the necrons or nids? there could be enough nids to swallow the whole galaxy in one gulp or even millions of undiscovered necron tomb worlds probably in places already densely inhabited.
    While no one has exact figures let me pull this into perspective. The Milky Way galaxy has about 100 to 200 billion stars in it. And most of those systems do contain planets of various types. The Imperium occupies 1 million worlds and the various races such as Orks and Tau far less. The War between the C'Tan/Necrons and the Old Ones/Eldar and Orks was said to be a galaxy spanning war far larger then anything since. And the two sides we're fiercely trying to kill the other.

It is not unlikely the Necrons can control hundreds of millions of worlds.
    Last edited by Outlawstar15a2; January 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

While no one has exact figures let me pull this into perspective. The Milky Way galaxy has about 100 to 200 billion stars in it. And most of those systems do contain planets of various types. The Imperium occupies 1 million worlds and the various races such as Orks and Tau far less. The War between the C'Tan/Necrons and the Old Ones/Eldar and Orks was said to be a galaxy spanning war far larger then anything since. And the two sides we're fiercely trying to kill the other.

Alright but I cant help but notice a small error I really doubt that the Imperuim of man controls more worlds then the orks who likely have expanded throught most of the galaxy and possibly other galaxies due to the message imperial probes have sent back on there travels.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Plant View Post

The Emperor never called himself a god; it was a cult that sprung up sometime afterwards, which gained influence, and was used as a common culture to unite the Imperium. Plus the Emperor, is supposed to be an allegory of Jesus; a man who never called himself god, but was used as the foundation of a religion.
    but jesus was only the son of god. not *the* god.

and well, who knows? people could have been worshipping previous religions believing that there is a soul, a god, guiding humanity out there that works in mysterious ways, off of things that happened at the hands of the person that became the Emperor (he having lived arguably for as long as the idea of a single God has existed in human society).

can go back to the first heretic and Lorgar's view of the situation when he argues with the emperor. he's immortal, with his guidance thousands of ships travel the galaxy, with his unrivalled powers he can watch over many simultaneously etc etc. what is the definition of a god if not this?

etc.

and u got that info from where?
    Last edited by Carach; January 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    That... was... wicked, man.
    Yeah i love those guys cause they do funny arnie impressions.
    like this one. first lulz and then the song starts.

Um, what da feth?....
    whats there not to understand?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast