Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: some suggestions for SPQR 6.0

Default some suggestions for SPQR 6.0

First i want to say i love the game and SPQR mod...thanks to all who put a lot of effort in it.

for the up coming 6.0 version....i have some suggestions for the creators....i dont mind if they dont like iwhat i say....but im still going to say it...hope u guys give me some feed back please ( sorry for my poor spelling since im very tired right now XD)

suggestions :
    1) i know that theres no new factions to be added ...but i think at least add spain back....since the carthage and gaul isnt doing much there....its a waste of natural resorce if u know what i mean...XD....besides it spices up when roman players expand there and finally happy to see some new enermy either than baibarians at the west side and u can make the gaul players have a little suprize too( u could add a little modyfication for spain like giving it stone walls and please give them archers please!!!) and some so calleded civilized troops make spain half a civilized faction would be nice...since carthage and gaul are the major influence onm them so making them [half civilized ? hahaXD}

2)making sea blockade more useful than just the look of it......make it critical for the econmy for onshore cities....make inland cities econmy more counting on farming instead of trading...but of corse some historical inland trading cities still get loads from trading....and make mining earn more.....thats more realistic for historical factor...a good mine for city or even to the country can be critical

3)i know the creators of the mod HATES deplomates....but if they say its because for making war all the time.....i think thats not a good idea to have the entire world to be enermy at a time.....remeber even CEASER and Haniable or even Adolf Hitler knew when new enermies show up...u need to make friends with your old enermy ( gaul and spain or what so ever) at least for a period of time....so i here present a new idea for the deplomate system....if guys dont like seeing walking breathing deplomates ...thats fine since i dont like their working effecency too....the original system sucks on that....anyway the new idea was making the deplomat business on the deplomate page in the faction botton( where u see what allies and enermies u have) like if u have gaul as your enermy u press the gaul flag image and shows up what normal deplomates page ... get the idea ? u can cjose to make war or peace or what ever on that page....and if u think they can simply just break peace treaties that easily..not this time honey ...heres the idea....if u make alliances...u have to chose the peroid of time like half a year or 1 year and so on.....and of corse the chance to make a long alliance is much harder than having a half year peace time and between the half year the gauls cant attck u ( have to mod thier AI i think..maybe use like what the original ai for romans cant attck other roman factions untill u got enough poplarity stuff like that...they cant attck u ..and u cant attck them untill the alliance peroid is over) in that way u wont and cant build deplomates..but u can still use political strategies ..case solved ? ( by the way...i agree on getting rid of the spy thing...since its not fare .....but if u want to keep them at leat make them open just one gate instead of all the gates maybe ?....for the assains....im like 50/50....it quite realistic...but also a bit unfair...anway its not my choice)

4) for god sakes....give some defensive building for the babarians......its so unfair for them....heres the idea.....u cant give them stone walls of corse...but....u can give them wodden walls...not the stupaid ones in the original game...but the ones like lord of the rings battle for middle earth ( rohan faction) ...wodden walls that allow archers or what ever to stand on it and defend the city...get the meaning ?,,,,.....the good part is....u can burn the hell out of it with babarian troops on top of the wodden wall with falming balls from cataputs although they can still run away while the roof is on fire but damage to tropps is enavitble !XD ( not falmming missles....since in real life it cant do big dammage on walls)...also keep the defensive missle towers on the wodden wall just like the orignal games....and keep the wodden gates ....no boilling oill of corse......but u can add like a specail function for babarian troops on the wodden wall....u can make them throw stones off the wall to enermy tropps very near to thier wodden wall.....FIRE AT WILL ......cool ah.....but only if u can add something like that...sorry if i ask for too much...XD....BUT IF U CAN DO IT....TRY MAK IT LIKE MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR WHEN U CAN UPGRADE AND DECIDE WHAT DEFENSIVE WEAPON U CAN BUILD ON WALLS...both civilized or babarian walls.

5)ROME....once a nice tourist spot...now....a deadly zone which is full of heros like archilles.....(the troops there are too dam good to defeat....thier like the god dam termenators ....u have to takE them with 10 to 1 ratio to kill them...) heres some suggestions......its fine making the troops there that dam good..( now i understand why some people keep lions in front of thier housesXD) but heres the deal....i know the senate prints gold coins for the game(since a citiy which can support 4 to 6 stacks of termenators like those must be doing that)...but lets make the senate take loans....like at begining of the game the senates get 5 stacks of topps free and the game wont charge for money for maintance but after they die out ...(only count when they all really die out so if they retrain thats fine) ..PLEASE LET THE SENATE PLAY BY THE GOD DAM RULES OF ECONMY !!!....so the challenge which the mod creator would like to keep is still there... while deprate tourist like me could have a little tour in rome after 10 of my legions die just to buy a ticket into rome....but i at least i get there alive...and finally XD

6)about the eatern factions.....i think......most of them....are Quite copy version from other factions there...thier like all the same...please add or mod some differences for them....add some new units for them.....at least some better infantries.....they cant hold a city very well in a seige battle ......heres some ideas (just for fun actually) for new units for eastern factions : tropps that uses chain malls ( sounds too medival ?) , tropps that uses falming spears <skimissers)......XD anway just please add something for them when they meet enermies some like rome..( i know they have betetr calvary in the east but doesnt mean thier infantry suck that bad...at least let them get some morale bonus....not asking like the spartons by the way they were master peice i have to say !) but im not saying giving them lightsabers or corcadile pets for weapons just something better ..thanks .

7) i know u have numedain legeionaries....but why not let carthage have them ? ( or do they already have them ? im not sure actually) to against roman ones ?( of corse roman ones still rocks!)...by the way i havent seen eatern legionaries yet .....which faction can use them ? or only rome when they go there?

8)about the fleets .......nice skins bythe way....one question.....how can one ship carry a stack( around 2000 men) on the sea ? titanic it must be.....but thats not im complaining about since its just a game....but i have an idea if the fleet sinks and theres troops on it.....why not let some survive the sink ? like taking by chances some of the the troops can float to shore radomly near where the ship sank.....thats a bit more realistic is it ? just a suggestion......( later when my roman troops wake up on an no man island.....they hear a big roar and the trees are shaking........LOST.....maybe...? hahah0)

9)about the three family or one united family issue......i just want to say...if u guys can make it optional on the campain menu before starting it would be nice...but if not.....i think most people prefur one family sytem( dont stack my head on top of a spear..please.....that hurts man..> but keep the senate...at least thats one hell of a civill war...(bloddy one also)...and about the marius reform.....make it a bit more easier shall we ? since the troops before that cant be retrained afterwards ...so why spending loads to build and train them to get medals through battle ? we have to exchange them with new ones anway...

10)for the formations....why not add at least one specail formation for EVERY troop ? if they already have one fine....but like the new sheild wall for romans ...add it in the special abilty space instead of the lose formation space or other empty space on the bill bored of unit commands...since thats useful when meeting with elephants..( nasty ones....not ones from our zoo)....u can add special abitiy like rampage charge ( where u get charge bonus for infantry and morale boost) to babarian tropps.....and specail abilty like three colume shotting for archer troops( make them fire one line at a time instead of fire all at once to level up accuracy...but lowers thier defence on arrows or lower thier movement afterwards),,,anway i know u guys out a lot of work on it so just try your best and we know it by your work......as i always say...trying wont kill u ...right ?

ill post a bit more suggestions later if i have any more.....so if u people want to see more....dont delet this topic and ill keep writing thanks and god bless u all ( what ever god your in toXD) and let us enjoy good games likt RTW !!!

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

I for one don't think the designer (LT) is going to be implementing your suggestions dude, no matter what "CEASER and Haniable or even Adolf Hitler" thought about the subject!

Barkhorn.

I agree with giving the barbarians a new wall on which they can stand on, but I am not sure you can do it.

MasterAdnin

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

Will 6.0 be for 1.2 or 1.5?

I suspect 1.2 for obvious reasons but I still have my fingers crossed...
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

1. Spain will not be adding back in, it weakens Gaul, which makes the guals easier for the roman player.
    2. Sorry that is hardcoded. I would like more blackading also.
    3. Nope dimplomats are removed because of the AI's inability to use them correctly. First part of the game NO matter the dimplomatic stance the AI ask for peace, also Diplomacy still has bugs and also the AI makes peace then attack then peace etc. All it does is allow the player to sell map info, bribe army/city, and get more trade income with nations that historically were enemies. Sorry but dimplomacy it bad, even some other mods consider removing them and make it harder to get them. SPQR is about War, not Peace and economics, RTW in itself isnt set up for that, Imperial Glory diplomacy would have been nice, maybe their next title will be better?
    4. It can be done, but not as easy as you think and would require skill modelers and skinners. I never claimed to be a modeler. Infact no one has done this for the community for over a year, so I doubt it will happen, but I did give Barbarian capitols Stone walls. And the Garrsion script will fun. ;-)
    5. Sorry thats the Whole Idea, Rome should be hard to take, the first thing people do is try to take to get the praetorians. lol Now they have to fight for it. But the Praetorians are NOT archilles, THey can die and do, they can run, but with the High star Generals its doubtful. Onagers and missle units are they key with them and elephants.! Again Strategy, which is what SPQR is known for on the battlefield.
    6. There are only 255 model slots available in RTW with causing a CTD, SPQR has 251, Model are what make the units unique, we can only do so much.
    7. Good Idea, I will look into it. Doesnt make sense to have them if no one can use them. Armenians use them.
    8. It took alot of playing around to get ships to sink, and thats the whole idea, I lost a whole legion because my fleet sunk. As to more models, why? The general is one unit yet has 20 units in it? The ship is the same way, one model to represent 20 ships. Also Ships did sink back then and they dont sink ALL the time in SPQR, the idea is to bread the fear of pirates and of losing your men in crossing the high seas. Caesar lost a legion during the civil war on the seas, and they killed them all. Some things you cant do in RTW like have troops survive the sinking ship and hope off shore. lol
    9. SPQR 6.0 will be unified family, Senate still has Rome, and Reforms are hardcoded in RTW. 6.0 is on patch 1.5 which means only imperial palace is needed.
    10. Barbarians use Warcry which is their ability you can change Loose and tight formations to do what you want, I was fortunate that I could make the shield wall using them. Because its just a very tight formation. I didnt want the romans to lose their Turtle formations/

Lot of questions hope they were answered satisfactory?
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Default Thanks

thanks LT for lsitening to my ideas at least u did read them well

i have one more suggestion by the way..its about when u play at high settings....ill take an example when u play as gaul at the beginng of the game most of your cities only have 3000 to 5000 population but one simple war band is going to take 2 hundread something of men per tropp...so 5 war band will be 1/3 of the whole cities population....but later 10 turns later the romans are hitting u with stacks of tropps...and at first u just build and defend your country but soon u find theres not enough men to recruit from...since the population growth is slower than your recruit rate...and u find very difficult to play on with this situation....does the AI cheat on settings like that ? since i played juili once and also faced the same problem with not enough men to recruit to fight the gauls....but i see the AI dont have problems with that...they just keep building....heres the idea as i noticed the population growth for eastern factions like parthia is like 7 % why not giving other factions especailly babarian factions the adventage as they usually have bigger population than civilized countries ?.....anway just try to give more population for each faction larger at the begining and the rate for population bigger so theres no problem with not enough men to fight with.

for the feed back u gave me most of them were answered satisfactory im happy to have dicusion like these and hope to do more later on ....but some issues we can still talk about like :

2) i understandd why u removed the deplomate system but why not let the players chose ? can it be an option before champian ? my idea beofre cant be done ?( chose of aliiance period years and cant break alliance for both of them untill peorid is over.....cant be done ? i mean thats the easy way to make deplomacy easyier...cant control the AI to obey that ?)

1)ok not adding spain back is ok but why not let charthage be a little aggresive on spain ? hey its there colony isnt it ? dont just let them sit there and always get rebelian.

4) try your best on giving something defensive for the babarians would be nice ..please try your best or ask for help from experts maybe ?...thanks

5) i know what you meant but its not very reasonable to let the senate not play by the rules of econmy ( as i mentioned beofre) so what about the suggestion i made oin that issue ? ( let thier begining stacks of troops free from manitenace but after they die out make rome can only support 2 or 3 stacks ....please...as this give hope to a lot of roman players....at least they have a chance......just try to kill as many and the situation will improve..not like it when we kill 2 stacks but they bring back 4 stacks ..thats my idea...thanks)

8) now i understand that one model ship contains 20 ( since the details only say how many man they use in the ship...so i thought it was only one ship...sorry by the way.....i have a new idea.....like u have four models of ships which makes 80 ships right ? and theres one full stack of romans inside them....ok.....they fought on sea with the carthage and one model ship sunk(20 ships) can the romans suffer a 25% lost on the tropps inside the ships(random chose) ? so its like 1/1 ship; sink all dead.....1/2 ship sink 50%...and so on.....how about that ?

9) very happy to hear from a big roman family against the evill senate hahaXD....BUT heres some suggestions ....so now civill war is only among senate.....why not spice it up for roman players......like giving it gladiator rebelian ( use the abandoned mode form the original rtw game) or slave rebelian or something like that...use your imagination what kind of re belians they have for that time....and make it a special event..(maybe letting them take one or two of your cities which have arenas or poor living standard ).. .it will be cool to see legions fighting ****** of gladiators or slaughtering slaves...anway suggestions on that ?

10) what i meant on giving special abilties for tropps...is when they dont have one.....like the hastili ( giving the sheild wall on the special abilty button if theres a tutitle formation later on for roman troops just add the sheild wall back to the losse formation button) and also like archer( giving a colum firing ...like make them shoot in row by row instead at fir all at once which adds acuracy but lowers rate of fire on the special abilty button) and like giving flaming javilions for infantry skimissers ( good to frighten elephants ?) and giving sheild wall for sword axuliia/hoplites to all factions ( or is it already done?) and adding round sheild wall( like the ones for gothic faction in BI) for all spearman infntry......by the way what those the trangle formation for calvary do ?( it seems to slow down the moveing rate and doesnt seem to add attack or defence....could u do something about that ? like adding more speed and attck rate for that formation but reduces defence?...) just use your knowlege on what u can add would be fine.

thanks again for your attentions and hope to add useful and fun facts to the coming SPQR s...XD good day to u all
    and like giving

ONE MORE THING ABOUT THE SINKING SHIP ISSUE: when i say gain damage to tropps randomly like suffering a 50% lost dosent have to be half the legion (half stack)is dead u can make it as all troops suffer 50% lost......am i clear here XD ? thanks

SPQR is designed to play as the ROmans, yes higher difficulty the AI cheats, thast why its harder. Second the AI will not build 8 units at once, usually 1-3 depending on the threat. Also Read the README in it is good information like Growth bonuses with Taverns etc. The Barbarians have TONS of bonuses more than the East, you just havent built the right buildings yet. Also SPQR is not designed to play as other factions, so gameplay may not be as fun. I also suggest you look around in the RTW forum for questions as ALOT of your questions are a lack of knowledge on RTW itself.

2. No option can be done, its either add them or not.
    1. Some of the AI behavior is Hardcoded. Sorry nothing I can do. Anyway I prefer gaul grows strong from taking spanish lands.
    4. I know all the experts, no one has done this yet sorry. I will try in my novice abilities. lol
    5. reduntant question, you already said keep the senate the way it is if I do the Unified family since I am doing that it answers your other question.
    8. Sorry you dont understand RTW mechanics I recommend you suggest some of your Ideas on the public forum so otehrs can answer your RTW related questions.
    9. Gladiator rebellions are already possible in SPQR if the right conditions are met, nothing more can I do on this.
    10. What your asking cant be done sorry. I already told you this.

Please try to limit the length of these questions most are reduntant and come from a lack of knowledge on Basic RTW function. The is a modding Forum for suggestions and other can explain why it cant be done.

Thanks.

Lt
    Lt_1956

White wolf,

If you have WORD, I would strongly suggest that copy your text into a word document first, to check for typos and misspellings. It will make your post more readable.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHammer
    White wolf,

If you have WORD, I would strongly suggest that copy your text into a word document first, to check for typos and misspellings. It will make your post more readable.

To be fair I've seen worse posts.

Hello!!

First, the mod is the best mod i ever played with RTW. I love the huge battles, and the skins are the best! But LT please, can you make a version of 6.0 with the three families also? I like the civil war with the other factions. I like also to play as the germans for example. How can i make it harder for that faction. For example removing the experience bonuses is a solution i hope, and reduce the men in a unit from 240 to 200. What do you think?

I have an other question. Is it possible to use the campaign from the darthmod with your battle system? For example the mundus magnus map with the starting positions? Because i like to build up my empire first.

Greetings from germany

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Speedy, here's a discussion board about spqr and wether or not it will be a unified or multi-family mod:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41189

And no speedy you cant use other campain maps as it will cause you CTDs there are different units in SPQR and resources etc. Sorry. SPQR mod issnt made to be used with other maps etc. There is a sticky stating not to use Darthmod, MAGNUS MUNDUS Mod with SPQR mods. Old or new.
    Lt_1956

Thanks for your answer LT!

In the moment i have the hardest time of my RTW-Life. I'am playing Scipii and i have to fight 5!! carthage Armys with only one legion. The AI is sending stack after stack from carthage to sicilly. And i have not enough money to raise a third legion, because my second legion is fighting in nord italy against the gauls to help the jullii. Any advise for me?

Dont know, sounds like you have your hands full. I would suggest building some buildings to help your economy. you will need it later. The praetorians will help the north, I suggest you take sicily first then worry about julii. Otherwise the Carthaginians may just cross that landbridge into italy! lol

Lt
    Lt_1956

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

It will only get worse with a unified rome, My attempts to do so have resulted in me facing 6 carthaginian stacks, as well as a good 4-5 stacks of gaulish troops..

The problem isn't money (god knows I have that) but the problem is that I don't have enough troops-producing cities to replace my losses fast enough to take sicily or italy.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2511
    Thanks for your answer LT!

In the moment i have the hardest time of my RTW-Life. I'am playing Scipii and i have to fight 5!! carthage Armys with only one legion. The AI is sending stack after stack from carthage to sicilly. And i have not enough money to raise a third legion, because my second legion is fighting in nord italy against the gauls to help the jullii. Any advise for me?

Don't worry about the Jullii, in 5.0 the Jullii are more then capable of looking after themselves. In my game they have taken all of Northern Italy (117 B.C).
    You may want to take Corsica and Sardinia, annexing shouldn’t be a problem as Carthage won’t worry about taking them back and they give a nice income from sea trade.

Also, don’t neglect your navy. If you can build a couple of powerful fleets you should be able to stop Carthage from reinforcing Sicily thus making the job of conquering Sicily a hell of lot simpler.

Another thing; You want to start this game again and take on the advice we have given you. Don’t be afraid to attack the Carthaginians early (first couple of turns even), when I played the Scipii Campaign in 4.0 Carthage only had 1 big stack in stack all it full of 3 gold chevron units! In order to advance you need to beat this army but you need all of your skill in order to win as I seem to remember it was tough battle as all of my units were inexperienced. If you can manage this don’t waste any time and capture all the remaining Carthaginian cities.!

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Freddie, thats called blitzing in my book.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

=E.T='s Avatar Civis

Make SPQR more hard to play!

make a REAL challenge for expert players!

Cheers =ET=

PD: May be I do,.... Just for fun
    AVE!
    ................................................................. =E.T=

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen
    Freddie, thats called blitzing in my book.

There's nothing wrong with taking Sicily quickly, you still have the Greeks to deal with plus you will have to deal with reinforcements from Carthage as you won’t be able to afford a navy to keep the Carthaginians at bay for the time being.

As also I do not consider taking 8/10 provinces by 220 blitzing! If you playing Scipii I consider it fair you should Sicily early as you can develop it’s towns into cities so latter on in the game it can act as a solid recruiting ground for your legions. I also don’t attack north Africa until the reforms anyway which allows Carthage to build up its forces as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast