Thread: general units and horse archers?

Default general units and horse archers?

Just want to say first that for the most part, I love this mod. However, I feel like the unit rosters are a little limited, I understand that its probably very difficult to get unit descriptions from the period, but just an observation.

But mainly I was really sad to see that the Mada and the Persians don't seem to have any type of horse archers? Why only javelins? Was this the history? I thought the Persians as a whole helped to bring this type of warfare to asia minor.. not sure.

It seems that Babylon is the only nation who can train horse archers, is this correct? It really feels limiting to me.

Default Re: general units and horse archers?

the medes can also recruit horsearchers in the shape of budian cavalry hovever they cant go catribian circle like in romettoalwar and that mean you have to be very careful with them sence they are higly vulnerble to missles stay mobile and you be fine.

the indians have ligth chariots that can do cantribian circle the indian heavy chariots can also fire with long range missles but again chariots are extremly vulnerble so stay out off archers range use your heay chariots to force the enemy archers into your infantries first volleys.

Indians even got archer elefants with long range missles and that makes them not so exposed to misles as javelin elefants and they can contribute with the missle figth.

when it comes to javelins over the bow the javelin is alot heavier than the arrow and will go tru sheild javelins trown in the rear off enemy infantry is utterly devestating also in the flank.

Steppe warfare demanded that the nobles the cvalry would be brave and javelins encouraged them to get close to the enemy.
    hosearchers were more for raiding and distraction rather than pitched battles.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

The cantabrian circle was invented by cantabri jav cav, cantabri were an Iberian tribe. But still, the medes and persians, whose military was an improved version of the medes' one, should have heavy lance and bow armed cavalry.

Persians used javelins on horseback in war. Other Iranians, some Mesopotamians and Scythians used horse archers. Version 3 sees another faction of Iranians that have a big focus on horse archers so you can look forward to that.

As for limited rosters, you hit the nail on the head. We can't magic variety out of nothing.