Thread: [Public Research] Phoenicia

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

Default [Public Research] Phoenicia

Here you can help to SOI team with this mod. If you have some helpful info, so give it here.

Thanks to all.
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: [Public Research] Phoenicia

Found in the first paragraph of this website that the city of Tyre's wealth is somewhat based on their purple dyed textiles industry
    http://www.middleeast.com/tyre.htm

Good work

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Well, I do want to play Phoenicia really badly.
    Here is some relevant info (relevant to the time period) that I found on wikipedia.
    -during the mod's time span the capital was Tyre
    -Phoenicia is believed to have the first phonetic alphabet
    -another important export was Phoenician glass
    Last edited by Derpy Hooves; January 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Keep it coming people, but in the case of longer articles (which would be appreciated and there are some areas that could use some help ) remember to post your sources as well.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by swordofjanak View Post
    Well, I do want to play Phoenicia really badly.
    Here is some relevant info (relevant to the time period) that I found on wikipedia.
    -during the mod's time span the capital was Tyre
    -Phoenicia is believed to have the first phonetic alphabet
    -another important export was Phoenician glass
    If im not wrong i think Phoenicia was group of city states much like the greek citystates of the classical age....

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    If im not wrong i think Phoenicia was group of city states much like the greek citystates of the classical age....
    That matches up with what I've learned as well. Tyre, Byblos, and Sidon may have been the more dominant cities but I wouldn't necessarily call any of them the capital anymore than I would call Athens, Sparta, or Thebes the capital of Classical Greece. Of course this will have to be modified for game-play reasons. We could always go the route RTW took with Greece and pick one of them, probably Tyre, and make it the capital and make Sidon and Byblos rebels at the start.

Also, I found an interesting site with info on many of the Phoenician cities: http://phoenicia.org/cities.html I have no clue how accurate it is but the little bit I've read so far seems to match up with other sources I've read in the past.
    Last edited by Bregil; February 22, 2011 at 04:01 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Main gods of Phoenician

Baal: The Ugarit tablets make him chief of the Canaanite pantheon. He is the source of life and fertility, the mightiest hero, and the lord of war.

Astarte: Great goddess of the ancient Near East, chief deity of Tyre, Sidon, and Elath, important Mediterranean seaports. She was called Asherar-yam, our lady of the sea, and in Byblos she was Baalat, our dear lady. Astarte was linked with mother goddesses of neighboring cultures, in her role as combined heavenly mother and earth mother.

Melqart: Melqart, Son of Baal (or El, Ruler of the Universe), God of Tyre, King of the Underworld, Protector of the Universe symbolized the annual cycle of vegetation and was associated with the female deity Astarte in her role as the maternal goddess. Also, he was considered the Heracles or Hercules of the Tyrians though he came from a more distant past than the Greek Heracles/Hercules.

Tanit: Also spelled TINITH, TINNIT, or TINT, chief goddess of Carthage, equivalent of Astarte. Although she seems to have had some connection with the heavens, she was also a mother goddess, and fertility symbols often accompany representations of her.

Phoenicians should have early bireme/trireme type ships, merchant infantry. Mainly a mercantile empire.