Page 3 of 351 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3

Default Re: Battlefield 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    uh...keyboards and gaming mice?

FPS are dumbed down for consoles, so they don't live up to their PC potential, because controllers are worse.
    not really, I dont see much different, I play both, the only reason I prefer PC is its modding potential.

Ba'alzamon's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    not really, I dont see much different, I play both, the only reason I prefer PC is its modding potential.
    Completely agree with you old bean! FPS games on the PC are the same as they are on consoles only (like you said) you have more potential to modify the game.

In some cases, you even have to buy better equipment for a PC for example: gaming mouse, keyboard, over expensive headsets always remain prevalent on PC's too.

Or $50 controllers...

And I don't use an expensive headset, or a gaming keyboard.

And my Sidewinder was $18
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    FPS are dumbed down for consoles, so they don't live up to their PC potential, because controllers are worse.
    Well that's not an argument at all - "FPS are dumbed down on consoles so they don't live up to their PC potential because controllers are worse." What the shizz does that mean?

Like I said, both methods are fine, but the controller, in my opinion, allows for easier movement due to the analog sticks. Let's face it, the keyboard was designed to type out messages - not to efficiently control a player in a 3D environment.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Because console controllers don't have as many buttons/options, and nothing matches the freedom of a mouse.

Take ArmA II for example.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Arma II isn't as much a FPS as it is a military simulator. And I agree, the amount of functions that are available to a PC gamer are far more due to the amount of buttons - that's the keyboard's biggest advantage, I think.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Ba'alzamon's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Arma II isn't as much a FPS as it is a military simulator. And I agree, the amount of functions that are available to a PC gamer are far more due to the amount of buttons - that's the keyboard's biggest advantage, I think.
    Agree with you there. I have never seen a controller over $25 (wired or wireless) in Wisconsin but I'm sure they can really get the ol'markup dropkick to the face. And yes, Arma II is not a FPS. It's in the same Genre as Full Spectrum Warrior

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

not to efficiently control a player in a 3D environment.
    Yet it does far better than a gamepad/controller.
    Consoles have their perks, but they do not excel in FPS's.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

A console stick is slow, you have to pan through the entire screen to turn around, with the stick pushed out max, its takes (on high sensibility) about 1 to 2 seconds to make a 180° turn. I takes me 0.1 second and a flip of the wrist to do so with my mouse. No competition there. The computer players will be faster, more accurate than the console players
    Patronized by Hader.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    Yet it does far better than a gamepad/controller.
    I disagree. It depends what your personal preference is. I find both suitable for the job, although I do prefer sitting back comfortably with a controller than I do sitting up with a mouse and keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxos View Post
    A console stick is slow, you have to pan through the entire screen to turn around, with the stick pushed out max, its takes (on high sensibility) about 1 to 2 seconds to make a 180° turn. I takes me 0.1 second and a flip of the wrist to do so with my mouse. No competition there. The computer players will be faster, more accurate than the console players
    It's not an advantage if everyone shares the same disadvantages - if everybody playing on consoles turns a fraction of a second slower than a PC gamer would, how does it benefit them? You're still going to be as slow/fast as your opponent. It's not an issue.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I think that in the future PlayStation should make a dedicated keyboard for PS3... or maybe there is one already?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

I think there might be.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Geez I didnt think a conversation on mice and controllers would take off... but anyway like some said I find the controller easier to shoot at and move... its a lot more comfortable than sitting up using a keypad or the WASD keys to move forward left right back. Although its not horrible I just find it more comfortable with the controller. PC games still rule though because of modding.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

I disagree. It depends what your personal preference is. I find both suitable for the job, although I do prefer sitting back comfortably with a controller than I do sitting up with a mouse and keyboard.
    Get a good chair and you're just as comfy.

It's not an advantage if everyone shares the same disadvantages - if everybody playing on consoles turns a fraction of a second slower than a PC gamer would, how does it benefit them? You're still going to be as slow/fast as your opponent. It's not an issue.
    Fact is that keyboard+mouse is faster, more precise and gives you loads more buttons. No relativist argument will change that and saying it's not an advantage is just intellectually dishonest. Otherwise we might begin saying you don't need sound as long as no one has sound.

Besides, who says the platforms will remain separate?
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Coudnt agree more with you Manco!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Geez I didnt think a conversation on mice and controllers would take off... but anyway like some said I find the controller easier to shoot at and move... its a lot more comfortable than sitting up using a keypad or the WASD keys to move forward left right back.
    Of course it's easier, FPS on consoles uses auto-aim and larger hitboxes. And only played one game where you could disable that completely and that was the new Turok game and trust me, the flaws on the controlls were so obvious.
    You simply aren't very precise or fast when it comes to the aiming.
    I can't remember which game(Edit: Shadowrun and various other Microsoft games) but there was a FPS that was suppose to be cross-plattform between 360 user and PC users but they had to ditch that since the PC players were butchering the console players each time.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; January 02, 2011 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxos View Post
    You can just change your sensivity mang - at max you can make a 360 in half a second

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/04/ba...on-windows-xp/

brief summary:

• Direct X 11 only, won't run on Windows XP
    • 64 bit OS recommended
    • Even though it won't be PC exclusive,they will supposedly put extra attention on the PC version

i'm wondering if the 64 bit OS recommendation is due to relatively high RAM requirements, which can only be expected from a DX11 only game.

well.. time to start upgrading.

As long as it returns to it's roots of at least 64 players all will be fantastic, to be honest im surprised games arn't consistantly supporting several hundered at a time yet. The tech is there they just need to embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/04/ba...on-windows-xp/

brief summary:

• Direct X 11 only, won't run on Windows XP
    • 64 bit OS recommended
    • Even though it won't be PC exclusive,they will supposedly put extra attention on the PC version

i'm wondering if the 64 bit OS recommendation is due to relatively high RAM requirements, which can only be expected from a DX11 only game.

well.. time to start upgrading.
    Or Windows Vista.