Page 272 of 277 FirstFirst ... 172222247262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277 LastLast
Results 5,421 to 5,440 of 5526

Thread: "Valhalla" The Hotseat Community Tavern

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: "Valhalla" The Hotseat Community Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by 18611096 View Post
    We just started playing hotseat by email and it worked fine when we played hotseat on my cpu. But I just started a play by email and now we do not get the box messages on the left side of the screen. Any ideas? and does this happen when you guys host MP campaigns?
    Hey,

In each mod the maker can set whether to allow or forbid the function. I assume Retrofit forbade the messages.

Code:
    <misc>      
          <allow_resource_forts bool="false"/>       <!-- do we allow forts and watchtowers to be built on resource locations -->
          <fort_devastation_distance uint="30"/>     <!-- maximum movement point extents for determining devastation tile targets for forts -->
          <army_devastation_distance uint="30"/>     <!-- maximum movement point extents for determining devastation tile targets for field armies -->
          <fort_devastation_modifier float="2.0"/>   <!-- num devastated tiles modifier for forts -->
          <army_devastation_modifier float="2.0"/>   <!-- num devastated tiles modifier for field armies -->
          <enable_hotseat_messages bool="false"/>          <!-- do we allow hotseat messages to be send between human players -->
          <enable_unit_accent_overrides bool="true"/>    <!-- do we use unit db accent overrides for campaign unit selection -->
     </misc>
    this you can find in Retrofit/data/descr_campaign_db.txt. If you changed the line to true it should work . But you might have to start a new hotseat game and your old saes might not load.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Hey,

In each mod the maker can set whether to allow or forbid the function. I assume Retrofit forbade the messages.

Code:
    <misc>      
          <allow_resource_forts bool="false"/>       <!-- do we allow forts and watchtowers to be built on resource locations -->
          <fort_devastation_distance uint="30"/>     <!-- maximum movement point extents for determining devastation tile targets for forts -->
          <army_devastation_distance uint="30"/>     <!-- maximum movement point extents for determining devastation tile targets for field armies -->
          <fort_devastation_modifier float="2.0"/>   <!-- num devastated tiles modifier for forts -->
          <army_devastation_modifier float="2.0"/>   <!-- num devastated tiles modifier for field armies -->
          <enable_hotseat_messages bool="false"/>          <!-- do we allow hotseat messages to be send between human players -->
          <enable_unit_accent_overrides bool="true"/>    <!-- do we use unit db accent overrides for campaign unit selection -->
     </misc>
    this you can find in Retrofit/data/descr_campaign_db.txt. If you changed the line to true it should work . But you might have to start a new hotseat game and your old saes might not load.

Cheers

Great thank you. I will try it. So you guys have no issues with it?

On another forum I was given this

"Any time the 'current turn' is reloaded when freshly set up, yep, it'll happen. Unfortunate since you need to be on the next player's current turn to send them anything"

If this is the issue then what if, for example, I did my actions for my turn but did not end my turn. I move to an area on the map away from my nation. Save, and send it. He opens the game ends my turn and does the same with his. Would that work? and when I reload his new save do I go back to main menu and start up once more?

Hey,

Code:
    <misc>      
     </misc>

Cheers

I just checked and it is already "true."

Gaming Emeritus

On another forum I was given this

"Any time the 'current turn' is reloaded when freshly set up, yep, it'll happen. Unfortunate since you need to be on the next player's current turn to send them anything"

If this is the issue then what if, for example, I did my actions for my turn but did not end my turn. I move to an area on the map away from my nation. Save, and send it. He opens the game ends my turn and does the same with his. Would that work? and when I reload his new save do I go back to main menu and start up once more?
    Sorry, but I dont understand what this means.

In our hotseats we never have issues.

I assume it might then be cause of unproperly setting up a hotseat, more specficaly the lines in CFG file. Check out here how to do it http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...f-Guide-Admins Make yours the same like in this and try to make a new hotseat if it works in it

I assume it might then be cause of unproperly setting up a hotseat, more specficaly the lines in CFG file. Check out here how to do it http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...f-Guide-Admins Make yours the same like in this and try to make a new hotseat if it works in it

Thanks for the help and I will check that link out. The thing is it works fine when I am playing hotseat on my own cpu. Only PBEM we dont get the messages. Here was the reason given on another forum

Restarting the game tends to wipe messages that aren't seen as strictly essential when the game is on a player's turn and that turn is reloaded (ie, sent over and loaded on another machine).

So looking at the file I think I misspoke. The messages we are not getting are the "events and mission" messages on the left part of the screen. We get some, others we do not.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The messages you are not getting are almost certainly ones that are wiped when the game is reloaded on your turn, which is started when the other player ends turn and saves it on yours. If I'm understanding correctly, it's 100% identical to what happens if you save and reload in single player. Essential things are preserved, others you'll have to find yourself (ie, the missions menu) or simply forget about getting. If it is what I am talking about, there is no way to resolve it short of passing on to the next player still on the former player's turn and having the next player end turn and then play, which would defeat the point of stuff like passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    The messages you are not getting are almost certainly ones that are wiped when the game is reloaded on your turn, which is started when the other player ends turn and saves it on yours. If I'm understanding correctly, it's 100% identical to what happens if you save and reload in single player. Essential things are preserved, others you'll have to find yourself (ie, the missions menu) or simply forget about getting. If it is what I am talking about, there is no way to resolve it short of passing on to the next player still on the former player's turn and having the next player end turn and then play, which would defeat the point of stuff like passwords.

Yes this is the issue. So when you guys play online do you not get the messages either?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Yes this is the issue. So when you guys play online do you not get the messages either?
    Nobody can, for the technical reasons above. There is, again, no way to fix this without compromising the anonymity of your turn or playing all on one computer.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

It would take some very tedious scripting to display event messages for all players.

One approach would be to test how many 'local' players are present and then use a counter approach together with the 'reload' event. Unfortunately this will also increase the event counter of event messages which the script and\or the EDB may rely upon and thus a reset of the counter is required as well.

Missions are only for one player afaik so nothing is required there.

Do all player cpu's need to adjust the CFG file or only the host?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Looking at the CFG file in the link I am assuming it's the 'turn' setting that may be responsible for carrying those eventmessages forward to the next player. Doesn't look as if any of the other entries would have an impact on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Looking at the CFG file in the link I am assuming it's the 'turn' setting that may be responsible for carrying those eventmessages forward to the next player. Doesn't look as if any of the other entries would have an impact on that.

Ok thanks.

Another question. Medieval 2 Papel elections. Just wondering how these work for Mp hotseat. It seems i am never involved with the vote. Is this a bug? how do I fix it?

Gaming Emeritus

It should be disabled for the hotseats. Just use the cfg file I linked you to and everything will work as it should

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The papal elections cannot work because they're designed to be a one and done thing on the player's turn. In a hotseat, that obviously doesn't work since the only player's turn is the first turn that gets the message, and the game doesn't know to look for anyone else. Thus only one person can do it and the rest get shafted. Better to disable the function entirely and let it be automatic.

Mergor's Avatar T H E | G O R

Papal elections still work in Mp hotseats, its just that its done by the AI and is hidden when it is disabled. You can influence it a bit, as if possible, archbishops will never vote for a faction that their faction is at war with.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mergor View Post
    Papal elections still work in Mp hotseats, its just that its done by the AI and is hidden when it is disabled. You can influence it a bit, as if possible, archbishops will never vote for a faction that their faction is at war with.
    So the answer is simple - declare war on everyone, always. Right?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Thanks for the help guys.

Adanedhel's Avatar Campidoctor

Does anyone know how the hotseat files act after updating Windows 8.1 to 10? Will I need to install everything again and also does anyone have experience about updating windows to 10? Can I do it without losing files, programs, data etc?