View Poll Results: Which sort of music theme would you prefer for Sandstorm?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Historical (aka army marches, north african /near eastern music, etc)

175 63.18%
  • General (any music that sounds good or fits, a bit like now)

96 34.66%
  • Other (please specify)

6 2.17%
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: World War II: Sandstorm - 0.5 RELEASED!

Default Re: World War II - Submod: *Version 0.2 Released*

Progress Report: At the insistance of Dogderna and the guidance of Darkhorse, I attempted a flak gun/autocannon. Here were the initial results:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As you can see, the results, while fun, were somewhat... less than ideal. Hopefully though, they can be made to a playable state and be included for the next release
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

I'm flattered, im in the pic

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

If that's the phosphorous projectile, thats not far wrong!

What we are trying to replicate here is a 20mm Flak 30/8. The smoke from the cannon barrel is about right, the projectiles should fly straighter and be far less smoky, and lastly the impacts need toning down. But, good effort Sama

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Progress Report: At the insistance of Dogderna and the guidance of Darkhorse, I attempted a flak gun/autocannon. Here were the initial results:

As you can see, the results, while fun, were somewhat... less than ideal. Hopefully though, they can be made to a playable state and be included for the next release
    I wash my hands of that . And, btw British Empire preview added!

How about to change Napoleon's campains to special parts of WWI and WWII? And make it possible to play untill 1945 and add WWII units as possible reserches

Quote Originally Posted by Vs 002 View Post
    How about to change Napoleon's campains to special parts of WWI and WWII? And make it possible to play untill 1945 and add WWII units as possible reserches
    In the second page you can find a preview of our adaption of the egypt campaign.

The Flak guns are looking rather accurate, as it was said before, they should shoot straighter and make less of an impact. Or, you can make them blow up either right above the soldiers head, or directly on impact.

If planes arent going to be implemented, whats the point of Flak, may I ask? I think it also looks like some basic artillery, that was used by all nations. If you decide to make it basic artillery, I can retrieve the name of the guns for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Flavius Vespasianus View Post
    The Flak guns are looking rather accurate, as it was said before, they should shoot straighter and make less of an impact. Or, you can make them blow up either right above the soldiers head, or directly on impact.

If planes arent going to be implemented, whats the point of Flak, may I ask? I think it also looks like some basic artillery, that was used by all nations. If you decide to make it basic artillery, I can retrieve the name of the guns for you.

Flak was also used (mainly by the germans, the flak 88) to destroy tanks (not yet implemented) and to hold of infantry attacks.

Hmmm... Looking at those pictures, and I have an idea for a soviet unit... coughkatyushacough...

Update added on Naval Gameplay.
    Last edited by Admiral Van Tromp; December 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM.

If planes aren't going to be implemented, whats the point of Flak, may I ask?
    Airbust shells would suit heavier mortar/artillery types, but thanks for the suggestion

Flak guns were popular with Germany and Italy amongst other as they were effective against both ground and air targets. Germany's armoured cars were armed with 2cm FlaK guns for the whole length of the war and armed Germany's early war tanks. They were the best possible armament for coming up against infantry, nests, and similar/lighter vehicles.

Towed 2cm FlaK guns were also popular as light artillery and as said, were lethal against light vehicles and infantry.

Heavier Flak guns, such as the 5cm, 88mm, and 128mm were notorious anti tank guns. the 88mm being properly adopted into the role with new carriages and tractors. The 88 was also a good tank gun, arming Germany's late war tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by *_doGerdnA_* View Post
    Hmmm... Looking at those pictures, and I have an idea for a soviet unit... coughkatyushacough...

Update added on Naval Gameplay.
    Brilliant idea, but the stream is a tad too firey; would need a minor reduction. The Katyusha, however, is vrey inaccurate, but makes up for that with an ammo capacity of 48 light rockets. If you add the Katyusha, be sure to add the Wurfrahmen 40, and the American Calliope.

Also, was the FlaK 88 actually considered an Anti-Aircraft gun? I've always thought of it more as an Anti-Tank Gun. And before you retaliate with it was used against aircraft, it was not used as often as suggested. Once it was a proven Anti-Tank gun, that became it's primary purpose. A typical Nazi German Anti-Aircraft gun is a FlaK-20. I'll provide you a list of basic Anti-Aircraft guns for the *MAIN* factions involved in this modification.

Germany - FlaK 20mm

USA & Britian - BOFORS

France - CAMEL

Italy - Breda 20mm

Russia - AA 37mm

These names would, of course, have to apply to each faction.

@davism:

Strange . Try turning off "distortion effects"

@RNVITTORIOVENETO:
    Could you tell us in which units did you notice that?
    I apologize for not being able to post earlier but yes, disabling the distortion effect did the trick, having it enabled breaks the battles when you zoom in.
    Congratulations with the sub mod, it has a lot of potential.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The idea about the WW2 Desert campaign is awesome, but hope you will continue to concentrate on the main mod, too
    [Col] RO Citizen

@davsim and RO Citizen: Glad you like it.

Also, Italy faction preview added.
    Last edited by Admiral Van Tromp; December 29, 2010 at 05:27 AM.

Brilliant idea, but the stream is a tad too firey; would need a minor reduction. The Katyusha, however, is vrey inaccurate, but makes up for that with an ammo capacity of 48 light rockets. If you add the Katyusha, be sure to add the Wurfrahmen 40, and the American Calliope.

Also, was the FlaK 88 actually considered an Anti-Aircraft gun? I've always thought of it more as an Anti-Tank Gun. And before you retaliate with it was used against aircraft, it was not used as often as suggested. Once it was a proven Anti-Tank gun, that became it's primary purpose. A typical Nazi German Anti-Aircraft gun is a FlaK-20. I'll provide you a list of basic Anti-Aircraft guns for the *MAIN* factions involved in this modification.

Germany - FlaK 20mm

USA & Britian - BOFORS

France - CAMEL

Italy - Breda 20mm

Russia - AA 37mm

These names would, of course, have to apply to each faction.
    The FlaK 88 was primarily an AA gun although all models of FlaK 88 were capable of dual role. Of the 18200 FlaK 88's produced in the war, 17100 were built by the Luftwaffe, who were in charge of air defence. PaK's however, namely the 43, were 88's designed specifically for the AT role, and the only 88mm weapon to see service as an AT gun in any numbers worth talking about. KwK 88's were tank guns, mounted onto the Tiger series.

It's worth noting that all sides used Bofors and Oerlikion designs. And, AFAIK only Germany and Italy used autocannon against ground forces regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    The idea about the WW2 Desert campaign is awesome, but hope you will continue to concentrate on the main mod, too
    By main mod I assume you mean TGW, and don't worry, it is still my priority

Also, the flak guns are looking much better, only problem is there are large amount of smoke when it lands, but I'm talking to Josst about how to fix this
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Maybe for custom battles partisan factions can be added like the Free French Forces and the Polish Underground State?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

You could change the Itally campain to Italy when they joined the war

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, I am proud to present you my:

1941-1945

BACKGROUND

The year is 1941, and the sand of the desert whispers sound of battle. The world is at war. Hitler's lightning war brought all Europe to his feet, but his dream of invading Britain was destroyed. Now, he is moving his forces to the Reich's eastern border, to test his war machine against the bolshevik bear. However, without oil, his army and air force that gave him all those victories are just scrap metal. He needs oil. And the Middle-East is full of it.

THE AFRICAN THEATRE

It's with that objective and to help the Italian forces already there that Field Marshall Erwin Rommel went to North Africa along with is Afrika Korps. By the summer of 1941, he had secured a strong position in Tunisia and prepared to invade Egypt. Now the British are preparing to defend the route to the Middle East.

THE SANDSTORM CAMPAIGN

In real history, Rommel never reached Alexandria. But, for the purpose of this campaign, let's assume he did, and that he also took Damanhour. The Italians were advancing from the desert in the south and reached Nile's banks.
    Egypt is in a bad situation, and British Forces now control the country in order to defend it, commanded by the famous General Montgomery, the British are preparing to resist as much as possible. Also, this is their last defensive line before their fragile protectorates (Jordan and Lebanon) and most importantly, before the middle-eastern oil and India.
    When bad times come there is always someone who benefits from them. In this case it's Syria, that remains neutral but vigilant, waiting for an chance to launch an attack on British protectorates, or to help the British and gain a place on the peace conference in the end of the war. The only problem are Vichy's occupation armies.

FACTIONS

Germany

Coming Soon

Italy NEW!!!

Almost two thousand years ago, their Roman ancestors, stood here, on Egypt, with their feet on this sand, fighting a civil war divided. Now, this new generation of Italians is fighting united to bring back the glory of Rome. Their devotion to their new emperor is great and the thirst for blood and conquest even bigger. For the Italians the campaign on Africa started in 1935 with the invasion of Ethiopia. They are veterans on this desert warfare and are prepared to do anything for their country. Their main objective now should be to secure the Red Sea, and possibly a path to India. The British Protectorates are also an easy prey.

The Italian player should take advantage of the only strong point of the Italian Army: mobility. Their troops are weaker and have less fire power but they move much faster and are resistant to heat fatigue. Their paratroopers the "Folgore" are one of the best fighting forces of the world and their air force is nothing to be ashamed of.

Starting Regions: Matruh, Fayum Oasis.

Victory Regions: Matruh, Amman, South Sinai, Arabah, Helwan.

National Leader: Benito Mussolini.

Techs, units and agents coming soon.

British Empire NEW!!!

The Empire is in a difficult situation. After escaping the threat of invasion on its homeland, now, oversas, Africa and India are in danger. If Rommel conquers Egypt, there will be no stopping him. India will fall into German hands as will the precious oil in the Middle-East. Make no mistake, the Empire is as endangered as it was when the Luftwaffe flew over London. But Rommel isn't the only threat. Axis controlled Syria might be planning an attack on Jordan and Lebanon, that must not happen. If we spread our forces, Egypt will be crushed. The only hope of the Empire is that the United States join the war and that we can hold Egypt.

The British Military is in bad shape compared to the German one. After the retreat into Egypt, the army is really battered, and our only hope is the RAF and the Royal Navy. To keep our supply lines and navy working we must not loose Cyprus. If we are to push Rommel and the Italians into Tunisia, we will need support from the homeland.

Starting Regions: Damietta, Gharbia, Qalyubia, Beni Suef, Minya, Dakhalia, Sharqia, Helwan, Red Sea Coast, North Sinai, South Sinai, Cyprus.

Victory Regions: Cyprus, Western Delta, Damanhour, Matruh, Fayum Oasis.

National Leader: Winston Churchill

Units, and techs coming soon. Take a look at post #38.

Syria NEW!!!

Syria is not an free country. Before France fell, it was somewhat free due to an "Independence Treaty" signed after a small war with the french. Paris never recognized it, but after the German occupation, Syria fell into the hands of Vichy's French Government. The country now has two options: try to crush the occupation armies stationed in their lands or help them and attack the British protectorates (or both) this young country may well become a great empire if it knows how to use this world war to their favor.

The Syria military, as well as majority of its other middle-eastern counterparts is specialized on guerrilla warfare. Now it's the leader's choice if they should use that to their advantage or if they should adopt the new western tactics written in "Achtung Panzer" that transformed the armored vehicle on the king of the battlefield. Developing the navy and the air force is also a good proposal.

The way this country develops is much dependent on which side of the war they choose, or if they choose to attack both sides.

Starting Regions: Syria, Syrian Coast, Rif Dimashq.

Victory regions: Syria. Syrian Coast, Rif Dimashq, Judea, Palestine.

National Leader: Hashim al-Atassi

Units, agents and techs comings soon .

SPECIAL FEATURES

Great Naval Component NEW!!!

When you look at this campaign and you love Naval Battles, you think:
    «Oh! Boring spending all time commanding armies on the desert»
    Well, you're wrong. There will be two major naval powers: the British Empire and Germany. And Cyprus, is one of the victory regions of those two nations. Which means that nobody wins this campaign ignoring the navy. Starting out in British hands, Cyprus is surrounded by the Royal Navy. The German player will have to use all means to take the island and the British one to defend it. If we include U-Boats this will become even more interesting.
    Also, for Italy, which will have some fleets near the Egyptian Coast I am going to create a Mission of capturing a port region, probably North Sinai, so that the player will be able to keep a navy operational.
    Syria will probably have missions to build a fleet too.
    So, don't worry, naval combat will be present and in great style.

Team and Thanks

Team:

-*_doGerdnA_* (I still haven't found a proper username );
    -King Sama;
    -Darkhorse.

Thanks to:

husserlTW for letting me use his NTF egypt startpos has a work base. (Let him swim in rep )

The Great War Mod team.

And Welcome to the New World Order Team.

Note: This post will be updated from time to time. When a section is updated the word NEW will be next to it. NEW will disappear once the update is 7 days old.
    Winston Churchil? Great britain whas a consensual(Democratcy) kingdom so shouldn't it be the king instead of the prime ministier?

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Maybe for custom battles partisan factions can be added like the Free French Forces and the Polish Underground State?
    Well partisan factions initially be represented by special partisan units (more than currently). For factions such as France, these will form significant parts of the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Vs 002 View Post
    You could change the Itally campain to Italy when they joined the war
    We have some ideas for italy... and we'll see about Britain, I'm not entirely sure what Dogerna was planning.
    Last edited by King Sama; December 29, 2010 at 02:10 PM.