Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Be a Modder: Doctoring of Medieval 2 units.

Default Re: Be a Modder: Doctoring of Medieval 2 units.

Paleologos,

Thank you for your kind reply. My modified unit is now working in my game!

My problem was that I was using Milkshake to merge my units. M2TWMT works much easier for merging units, it seems.
    Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's tribulation: not because any man's troubles are a delectable joy, but because to perceive from what ills you are free yourself is pleasant - Lucretius

Adonnus's Avatar Civis

I am having an annoying problem with Milkshape and weighting. Lots of Jesus syndrome and LSD trip models came before this, I'm now at the stage where I am trying to use the M2TWTB to convert units for testing.

However the vertex' appear to be weighted incorrectly.

I don't seem to understand exactly how to set the vertex weights in Milkshape without screwing it all up. I select the vertices, assign them to a bone group beneath the coloured bar in the panel with 100%. However this not only fails to convert in the M2TWTB because of "underweighted vertices" (even when I assign all of them) it also removes the bone assignments from those selected vertices and puts them onto what I thought was just the weight assignment.

When I press "assign" I'm pressing only the bottom button which I thought could avoid that.

Here's a picture.

https://s2.postimg.org/6pg1u25tl/problem.png

Another picture. Different %, same result.

https://s2.postimg.org/84hmivmd5/problem2.png

Thanks.
    Last edited by Adonnus; December 15, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Deselect everything in the model and click the "SelUnAssigned" button.
    It will highlight the vertices that have not been assigned.
    If you are still getting problems follow the instructions in the linked tutorial and then click the "SelUnAssigned" button.
    Finishing Actions before Saving & Exiting a MilkShape model.

Adonnus's Avatar Civis

I tried all that, same problem. The vertices are indeed all already assigned but the "underweighted vertices" problem persists.

It seems you have vertices assigned at less than 100%.
    Reassign the vertices, make sure they are assigned at 100% and if you still have problems upload the model and I will have a look at it.

Adonnus's Avatar Civis

Try this and let me know.
    ceitherne_01_lod0.7z

And please, in the future, when you or anyone else have a technical problem, start a new thread in this Skins, Models, and Animations part of the forum.
    It is dedicated for this exact reason.

Adonnus's Avatar Civis

This is the result so far with that

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1235848205

Start a new thread in the Skins, Models, and Animations part of the forum and upload all lods that you will be using and the textures as well.
    We'll pick it up from there.

Hi. I can't see the images you put on, so I'm going to have to ask this manually, so sorry about this.
    When I give archers a secondary weapon of a spear, the graphics get a bit glitchy, with spears randomly floating in the air behind the soliders, and then the spears not actually being used in combat, instead essentially just punching people. How would I do this properly?

Quote Originally Posted by GloriousMadness View Post
    Hi. I can't see the images you put on....
    All the images of the original tutorial are in this pdf.
    Be a modder-Doctoring of Medieval 2 Units.7z

Quote Originally Posted by GloriousMadness View Post
    When I give archers a secondary weapon of a spear, the graphics get a bit glitchy, with spears randomly floating in the air behind the soliders, and then the spears not actually being used in combat, instead essentially just punching people. How would I do this properly?
    You will need to weight the vertices of the spear to the "right hand" bone.
    Assuming you have done all else correctly, this will fix our problem.

Ah, right. Thanks for that, I'll give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    You will need to weight the vertices of the spear to the "right hand" bone.
    Assuming you have done all else correctly, this will fix our problem.
    Yup, this worked! Thanks for that

Hello guys, would anybody of you know a tutorial or way for porting Mount and Blade units to a medieval 2 mod? just for me own enjoyment of course

Thanks for the great tutorial
    I managed to get it to work how I wanted it for the first unit on my list.

But now I got a problem:
    I want to take the complete model of a soldier (without its normal weapons) and just add a sword from another unit.
    I followed all the steps and merged succesfully. I converted the right files into tga but when I add them to the merged unit I experience problems: Some parts of the base soldier model (helmet, cloak...) are in the ...att.tga file and not completely in the ....tga file. The weapon I want from the other unit is of course in a seperate file as well. So I got three files: I want to choose only the soldier model out of two files and the weapon out of the third file. I cant handle the editor to be honest.
    Is there any help for a beginner^^
    Thanks

Please give me a tip - I tried to follow this pdf tutorial as well as I could ._.

It is going to take way too long for me to type in a tutorial that much detailed.
    Upload the models and textures you want to use and I will try to figure out exactly what it is that you do not understand.

Alright I try my best to explain my aim.

I try to give 3 units an almost identical armour upgrade. The three units I am talking about are Eldarinwë Archers (bow + sword), Eldarinwë Swordsman (2h sword) and Eldarinwë Spearman (spear + shield). These units are in taken out of the Third Age Submod Divide and Conquer. Normally they were golden armour ("p1", "p2", "p3") which is also represented in the first Lord of the Rings movie.

But like I said I want to give them an armour upgrade turning there golden armour into silver armour - this armour has been created for the Hobbit movie ("p4").
    In p4 you can see my base unit (bow + sword + shield) where I want to take the entire model except their weapons from - so lets call them "baseunit".
    I successfully converted the only MESH file of the baseunit into MS3D ("baseunit.ms3d").
    The same I did to the three units I want to create the armour upgrade for ("archer.ms3d", "sword.ms3d", "spear.ms3d").
    After that I looked for the needed texture files and converted them into .tga ("baseunit.tga", "baseunit_att.tga", "archer, sword, spear_att.tga").
    But when I try to assign the model of the baseunit to the three already merged standard units I cant get it to work because I cant tell milkshade to take parts of the model from the "baseunit.tga" and the "baseunit_att.tga" and secondly the weapons from the "archer, sword, spear_att.tga".
    This is my problem - I hope it is understandable what I mean.

Following are some details which might be important:
    The archer should use the bow, the sword, the scabbard (including the handle of the sword) from the baseunit but should keep its cleaver on the back. I also would love to have the effect that when the archer enters melee it puts its bow on the back like the baseunit does.
    The swordsman should use its original sword and keep its scabbard on the back. The attachments like the knifes and the little scabbard on the left of the soldier should go. (I tried to remove these parts as a test ("sword.modified.ms3d"))

The spearman should use its original spear. It should just take the silver shield of the baseunit.

I did not remove/add the minor attachments I pointed out via merging because I did not know if this has the potential of creating problems.

I hope that you can help me out

Million thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

The files look fine to me.
    Are you sure you know how to make them work in-game?
    Did you add the modified textures in the game folders?
    Did you make the appropriate modifications in the EDU and the battle_models.modeldb?