Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Be a Modder: Doctoring of Medieval 2 units.

Default Re: Be a Modder: Doctoring of Medieval 2 units.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    GOM can convert a .mesh file to .ms3d and vice-versa, read the tutorial mate it's the first thing i have mentioned.
    the point is, I can't copy the .mesh thing in the modeldb folder, I can't make a .mesh file of the red-alinea.

(And my IQ is above the 50%! )

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

meshes are in the units folder inside the data one.
    They are separated in factions and type of warriors (english pikemen for example).
    When you choose a mesh (copying it from those that allready exist) you can transform it to ms3d with GOM.
    Then ONLY and WHEN everything will be ready on the model go again to GOM choose this time the ms3d file and transform it back to a .mesh.
    CAUTION.
    Lets supose that you have chosen a mesh that is called "English pikemen".
    GOM will make the mesh a ms3d file.
    But if you want to save it with the same name "English pikemen" then delete the original .mesh and only then save the ms3d file as new mesh with the same name.
    GOM can not overwrite files with the same name.
    In case that:
    Lets supose that you have a model and you want to create a swordman like Ishan did.
    You have found three diferend swords (from other models) and you want them in your unit.
    You follow Ishan's steps but remember this.
    Example: the original mesh is called English knights.
    You have transformed it to ms3d file/model.
    You delete everything that you do not want on the model.
    You press in the GOM the merge buton and you choose the body model and the 1st sword you want.
    You can NOT save the "new" model with the same existing name in the GOM. Instead use something to remind you the steps you make, example:
    English knights_lod0.v1
    Then choose the "newest" model (in this case English knights_lod0.v1) and press again the merge button and save the new model (the one that now has two swords) as English knights_lod0.v2.
    Repeat the process once more.
    The result (after merging all three swords will be a model with the name English knights_lod0.v3.
    Open it with ms3d and make ALL the nessesary adjastments (bone assignments ,vertices assignments,texture coordinating...everything that Ishan describes.
    There will a momment that you will feel that everything is done.
    Save the finished model as English knights_lod0.v3 again (overwrite).
    Then save it with the original name you want it in your name example English knights_lod0
    Choose the English knights_lod0.ms3d and use GOM to transform it again in to a English knights_lod0.mesh (remember that you have deleted the original .mesh with the same name).
    Copy paste the mesh to the units folder in your data.
    All these are for units that we want just to change them a bit.
    Otherwhise (if english knights were originaly 2hswordmen and now you made them 1hswordmen for example) please follow Ishan's steps for this case.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Heljumper117's Avatar Libertus

could someone please help me get rid of the seams on my unit or explain how to get GOAT_GOAL into a useable format for me?

Heljumper117's Avatar Libertus

I think I got it covered now

Any help will do. I'm on to stage 5 the dxt bit. I'm using dismounted_heavy_lancers mongols, with a samogitian_axemen weapons. Did the lod0-lod3 plus lod0-lod3_ug1 for both Lancers and Axemen. Did the merg thing and called it dismounted_heavy_guards. However not to sure on which files to convert to TAG Alpha, cos there isn't a heater file for mongols. And the textures files are as follows.as_lamellar_mongols/final asian_mongols_diff/final asian_mongols_norm/final me heavy_mongols_diff/final me heavy_mongols_norm/final middle eastern_mongols_diff/final middle eastern_mongols_norm. Soooo which one of the textures and what about the heater thing. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ragnar View Post
    And the textures files are as follows.as_lamellar_mongols/final asian_mongols_diff/final asian_mongols_norm/final me heavy_mongols_diff/final me heavy_mongols_norm/final middle eastern_mongols_diff/final middle eastern_mongols_norm. Soooo which one of the textures and what about the heater thing. Please help.
    Read the para about the BMDB file it's told in the first post of this thread. Diff files contains the original textures while norm files are the normal maps for them.
    First set is for the body or figure while the other set is for the attachments\weapons and stuff.

Read the para, it will more clear to you then.

Hi thanks for the quick reply. However did that and as follows placed (as_lamellar_mongols tag) in the first figure part.And (final european light_lithuania_diff tag) in the weapons bit. My unit will not show up like what your figure dose in the 3d part. Is there a button or after process to do to allow this. Or should the 3d animation happen as i put either tag in automatic.

Serbian Hussar's Avatar Semisalis

Hi Ishan, great tutorial.
    If a I want just to change weapon, ex. give dismounted banderium warhammer, is it enough for me to do first 5 steps and do I have to change anithing in BMDP?

Thanks in advance.

@Lord Ragnar
    Tell me the vanilla names of the unit that you are trying to merge and provide the BMDB entries.
    And lol animation? This tutorial has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian Hussar View Post
    Hi Ishan, great tutorial.
    If a I want just to change weapon, ex. give dismounted banderium warhammer, is it enough for me to do first 5 steps and do I have to change anithing in BMDP?

Thanks in advance.
    No it depends as BMDB file also contains the animation for it so if you change the weapons it depends on what animation it will have now. Say you change the sword to mace then it's ok but say to a bow or a 2-handed weapon then you got to edit the BMDB file (animation entry at the bottom of the unit entry). BMDB file also contains the filenames of the model that you edited and the textures so if you change the paths or file names you will have to edit that as well.

You will get the clear idea if you know how to add a unit in some mod or have read the BMDB para in the first post on this tut.
    Last edited by Ishan; February 10, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Yes I know that But warhammer animations are same as swords, if I'm not mistaking. Ok, so i just merge those files and copy them over the originals in SS6.3/data/_units...?

I don't know that i'm a SS dev member so tell me the name of the unit so i can tell whether it uses the same animation or not.

Ok I'm planing to give the dismounted banderium knights and royal banderium warhammers of venetian infantry to make them a bit better cuz i love those units in SS6.4 And do i need tu use vanilla mesh files for venetian HI because i can't find them in SS6.3/_units?

Yes that will work fine and yes if a mesh file in not in mod folder as per the path given by the BMDB file then that means it is using the vanilla model or mesh file so you have to use that.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the time.

Argh, I used to have a fully usable milkshape copy but my HD ended its life a year ago and I lost it. Very sad.

The only issue I didn't see addressed is that often there is a pretty obvious "line" down the middle of the units you make yourself. It's probably because milkshape is not as powerful as the program CA used to make the units in the first place. It's not TOO noticeable but it's a little bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian Hussar View Post
    Thanks a lot, appreciate the time.
    Glad to help bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJPabs View Post
    The only issue I didn't see addressed is that often there is a pretty obvious "line" down the middle of the units you make yourself. It's probably because milkshape is not as powerful as the program CA used to make the units in the first place. It's not TOO noticeable but it's a little bothersome.
    Milkshape is not responsible for it it's GOM that does it after combining parts, i knew an easy way to fix it but i forgot what it was have to work on it otherwise by GOAT is the only way i will add that chapter in the tutorial if all fails.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

this is very nice, simple and easy to understand tutorial Ishan, truly great work!
    +rep

Ishan, i just can't get those textures right

I've used mtw2_en_pplate_magyars.texture for figure and final italian_venice_diff.texture for attachments. The warhammer looks good i gues, and i'm not sure about the body, but the shield is mesed up. It's trying to put venice shield on, but i want hungarian model to stay.

Here is what i get:

Thanks, Ishan for putting up with meee. What i ment was the 3d picture in the bottom right in milkshape, ie to make sure the skins are correct. So all I need is to confirm that the mongols dismounted heavy lancers (vanilla) and any axemen type weapon. I get it right all the way to section 5. As for sending you the files I can but, I'm keen to learn by my mistakes so to speak. Soooo i intend to copy your scotish unit and see whats what. Thanks again. PS. I can always come back to you.

Update. Ishan, got my mongols unit to work. How do I get the mass of drawing lines of the units in milkshape, as seen in your intro. Currently it looks like my fellow pupil serbian hussar's attachment.
    Last edited by Ishan; February 10, 2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: double post

I have a problem and don't know what am doing wrong but when trying to convert the mesh files into MS3D I get at the end before saving a "memory access violation" notice and the window pops out. My process is copying the 4 mesh files as mentioned above, putting them on a new folder and then using the converter to convert them one by one. What am I doing wrong (please help I'm on the brink of success and fear that I won't be able to make new units )?
    Stainless Steel mod Thread link below (M2TW):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=314