Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Cassius enters the Curia. "Ah, so now you shall ensure that fully half of our allied forces are untrustworthy rebels! You may succeed in destroying the Rebellion yet, Aulus."

And if we give them Citizenship they will be part of the regular army,you wine-and-blood soaked fool!

And even assuming they were all to turn traitor that would still only be less then 1 quarter of our total force.
    Last edited by War lord; December 22, 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Cassius chuckles. "I agree with granting the loyal citizenship and the disloyal ones limited citizenship, but as for the Capuan requirement... I veto."

Fine.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Senator Caelius, please remember you are among your equals, but that doesn't grant you to insult other senators. If you don't agree with another, state so in a civilized manner.

I'm so glad that the Senate takes the time to reprimand ME for MY MANNERS WHEN THIS PLEB HAS DONE NOTHING BUT INSULT ME FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS!

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Albus rises and speaks "Senator Caelius is just a man with passion for our great republic as any real patrician would be. Being among these Albus shivers abit plebians can makes it hard to restrain yourself wont you agree senator Caelis? Albus grins But to the more important fact then everyday people is Capua. If the city should be annexed a roman should govern it aswell should roman garrision be placed outside the city. Albus takes a deepth breath. "The ringleaders and its family should be crucified at via appia to show the cost of turning against Rome! I am sure that Consul Basiliscus will retake the city of Capua and deal with the matter in hand."

Of course I have no doubt in the abilities,on the battlefield or elsewhere of Consul Basiliscus.My fear is of bureaucracy and rebel sympathizers.
    Last edited by War lord; December 22, 2010 at 09:39 AM.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Crispinus, still on his way to the exit, turns and speaks: "Oh yes, let this turn into a discussion of the classes. It doesn't matter whether a man is patrician or plebeian; his skill is what makes him who he is. So if the Senate is going to act like a bunch of little children who get frightened by Hannibal when they don't go to bed instead of finding a solution to this crisis then we could just as well throw us at the feet of the Carthaginians immediately, because that takes less time. Crispinus takes a deep breath and continues Rebellion is to be punished, so the people of Capua should mainly be put to the sword. I propose we then give them their client state-ship back but keep a garrison nearby in case they get more of these rebellious ideas. On this subject, I agree with senator Publius that we should crucify the ringleaders and let the Consul take the city. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam."

Cassius stands again. "I disagree. If we are truly to eliminate the last embers of rebellion, then I propose this: Half of the populations of Crotona and Capua shall be enslaved. This enslavement shall be passed onto all descendants. If they shall not serve the Republic as equals, then they shall do so as servants. This will teach the other socii the true meaning of being an ally of Rome... the other alternative is enslavement."

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Crispinus, turning his head around the corner: "As long as those rebels are punished, I'm content with everything but squabbling in the Senate."

I step down then consul, I assume you will take Septimus' army to victory just as well or even better than I could, however, The Lex Aemilii has been supported twice. It must be voted on in its current state so consul if you please before you leave can you put it to vote?

He then looked at the other senators, or we can continue filibustering if you wish.

OOC:Use the other threads as a template, Yay, Nay, Abstain.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

A messenger arrives, bearing the seal of the consul

Conscript fathers, it would appear that Sagunton is pacified to some degree, allowing us to have a base of operations. Though its defenses are extremely lacking and thus I have ordered the construction of a simple wooden wall to deter potential enemy incursions. Simultaneously, I have put forth the issue of possible Roman alliance before the inhabitants of the city and have allowed them to vote. Their decision will be known by the year's end.

I have also marched the original consular army back towards Emporiae. The men are rather grumbled about the whole affair. They see it as a betrayal of their previous services after the loss of Emporiae. I cannot vouch for what these soldiers would do should the city fall. If Emporiae is taken and little resistance is met, then I will be able to at least shepherd the anger of the men. But if heavy resistance is met. No inhabitant is safe from the wrath of Roman citizens. As of now, our course is set, and the men are eager for bloodshed. Whether it will turn out favorably for us, we will find out upon arriving at Emporiae

I will write soon to inform the Senate of further developments.

L. Aemilius Scaurus
    Consul of Rome

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

A messenger, a soldier of one of the equites units runs into the Senate and brings an important message with him.
    He opens his bag and takes out a piece of parchment and begins to read:

Consul Basiliscus, the supreme commander of the Italian armies, to the Senate and People of Rome, hail.

There is no time for long speeches or need of glorified reports, for as we speak, my legion is besieging Capua.
    We have defeated the two rebel armies near Capua utterly, with total number of 300 dead and wounded among our ranks and more than 2000 dead among our enemy. I have written my condolances to the families of our dead legionaries, but we are all grateful for luck and gods were clearly on our side.
    There is almost no resistance left around Capua, though the fight ahead will be tough and we will lose many lives. After the city is taken, I shall send you all the reports, if not sooner.
    I have also sent our spy further south toward Croton to see how strong the rebels are there.

I shall ever serve this Senate and our people,

Consul Titus Basiliscus Aquila.

Pallas stood first

Wonderful, it seems that the rebellion is coming to a swift end. With the decapitation of the Capuan threat, we have isolated the enemy completely. The rebellious socii will soon realize that they should have remained in the embrace of our Republic rather than to go out seeking a false independence. Allow me to be the first to congratulate our junior consul in his achievement!

I can only hope the senior consul will echo the same results in Spain. It would, at the least, save a great deal of our Roman dignity that our previous consuls have lost.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

The Curia doors opened. Senator Julius Septimus entered, with a white cloth wrapped around his head and left eye..

Greetings Senatores...I apologize for my absence, but in traveling from our great city to take command of a legion, i was ambushed by Rebel forces. As you can see, i have lost sight in my eye, a result of the resulting fever and infection. However, i have returned now, and would like to congratulate everyone who has participated in destroying the rebels!
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Numerius Aquillius Balbinus quickly enters the halls, rather stressed from his very late arrival due to some estranged events in Corsica. He quickly nods to a few of his closest friends and sits back with interest.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Imperious turned to Pallas as he muttered his last words. "For an elder you surely do have an arrogant side to you." Imperious would not be tolerate being disrespected in the halls of the Senate, where they were all men of Rome. "If this continues of this constant disrespect I will surely move to strike against it Senator. It is not your right to judge me or anyone in these halls; we made decisions based on circumstances at the time, we did what we felt was right, you cannot judge us because you were not us, nor were you there. Therefore keep your sniveling, ignorant comments to yourself."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

A messenger arrives and reads the report of the twin victories by Consul Titus Basiliscus Aquila:

After marching my legion into Campania I was determined to end this as quickly as possible, as I was keen on marching directly at Capua.
    I knew the Rebels had two big armies around Capua, but I didn't know the exact position, so I sent our spy to investigate.
    He returned with good news, as one of the armies was too far away from the city and thus isolated. I believe they were waiting to ambush any force that would come near them, but that was their mistake, as they would find out.

However as I approached them and began the battle, they had a huge advantage, as they were positioned on the top of a steep hill, so my men would walk into a slaughter if I sent them up the hill.

I reacted with a long and difficult manoeuvre. I sent my entire legion up the hill, but around them, so I would hit them at their side. I sent my cavalry and skirmishers running to take the positions and hold them, until the rest of the army reached them.

Soon, I had the hill advantage and they would pay dearly for their betrayal.

The rebel commander was inexperienced and without any strategical knowledge. His inexperience showed when he detached his entire cavalry and sent them a bit away from their infantry. This was the moment I was waiting for. I attack his cavalry with mine and I sent my infantry, which was by this time already in position, to attack theirs.

In the fight many of their cavalry were mowed down. In less than a few minutes their equites broke. I gave the command to attack their Campanian cavalry, where the general was and to destroy the unit completely.
    Soon, the men killed him and the whole rebel army started to waver.

It was not long before they started to flee. I would give no quarter. They would all die.

The result was a clear victory. Over a thousand of the enemy killed and about 100 of our men dead. It was a great victory, though we did not celebrate it. After all we were fighting against rebels. There was no glory in that. We gave our dead men a proper funeral and sent their remains back to Rome.

Spoiler for Battle statistics

We had little time to rest. I wanted to march as quickly as possible on the other rebel army just outside of Capua. I would surprise them in a night attack.
    Again the enemy tried to use the hill advantage to their benefit, but I would deny them that. I used the same tactic as in the previous battle.

As I approached them, I gave the orders to engage their first line. My plan was to send my cavalry and three cohorts behind their backs and destroy their cavalry and then attack their backs.

The Allied cohort I had in my legion routed! However their cavalry was destroyed, their commander killed, so I had one cohort and three units of cavalry to charge at their backs!

The result was obvious. In a matter of moments, their entire army broke and tried to escape. Again, I would not show mercy. I hunted down every soldier that managed to escape the grip of my cohorts.

The field was filled with enemy corpses, but alas many of our men died too. About two hundred of our brothers lay there and I had a difficult and painfull duty to burn them and send their remains back home.

Spoiler for Battle statistics

We have taken an oath to avenge their souls and the men have been demanding the sack and extermination of Capua. Normally I would disagree, but I see the hate in their eyes, I hear their screams in the night and I grieve with them.
    If we don't capture Capua by the time this report reaches you, I'd ask you to send me the orders of what should be done, once the city is taken. If they come too late, I will not be able to contain them. Capua shall be exterminated.

Titus Basiliscus Aquila,
    Consul of Rome

The messenger stood and awaited the Senate's response. He had orders to go back as soon as he received orders. If they were in time ...

ooc: damn I forgot about arrow markers...
    Last edited by Rex Basiliscus; December 24, 2010 at 07:56 AM.

"Well this is excellent news,soon the Rebellion will be crushed and Italy will be secure again!"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast