Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Default Re: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Of course you would object to that, Poplicola, having lost almost a full legion against Hannibal himself while your co-consul lost Emporiae due to his hot-headed attempt at taking Sangunton, if anything, Aemilius Scaurus was the one that rectified all of your mistakes from the previous year, and it seems that the junior consul is just as hot-headed as his predecessors in his pursuit of war against Syracuse.

The tribune brings up a valid point, Syracuse is no single city but part of a greater confederation, no matter how loose of an alliance this confederation may be. Massilia sits far too close to both our holdings in Spain as well as Northern Italy. And, it is a convenient ally for the Syracusans. Attack Syracuse and we will draw the Massilians into war, opening up another front on our already porous border, putting Rome in even greater danger. And when the armies of Massilia descend upon both Emporiae and Italy, then what? We have not even repelled the Punics from our own door steps!

As for the other proposal from the junior consul, is he not being overly drastic in his proposal? Have we not already voted another man to take command of the Crotona campaign? This is ludicrous, both consuls are now aiming to extend their commands when no such actions are necessary! They are--

But Pallas never had a chance to say what the consuls are doing. He was interrupted by the rapping sounds of a cane. Lucius Aemilius Scaurus had returned to the Senate. He looked tired, but still was able to speak clearly.

So, I have heard that there are voices in the Senate demanding my return, and I have obliged even the bitterest howls from the hounds that circle in my wake.

Taking his seat once more in his curule chair, Scaurus looked at the Senators around him after consulting with a scribe at the proceedings

So, senators, what shall you do with an old man who has returned from his campaign? The army has been left at Spain, the walls around Sangunton and Emporiae will soon be completed, giving us time a plenty to muster some form of defense if the enemy were to strike. The cancer of the rebellion in the south should be quickly put down, though why my colleague believes an extension of his imperium to take a single city already low on manpower is necessary. Thus I invoke my consular authority and veto his military decision, demanding his recall to Rome!

And as I promised when Emporiae first revolted, I intend to prosecute all those responsible. Tell me, Conscript Fathers, where is our former consul Imperious?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

So good to see you again Consul...

To attack Syracuse would be suicide at this point, Senatores. Not only is Syracuse a viable power, but we would then Isolate ourselves from much of the world. Massalia, Gauls, Greeks, Carthaginians, Rebels....surely we cannot practically wage a war with no allies? If we are attacked by the Heiro, then so be it. We shall fight him then. But there is no reason to bring ourselves to fight yet another war. Our goals should be to quell the rebellions and eliminate immediate Punic threats. Then after that we should not be so keen to rush into another war, but rebuild our economy and revitalise the Republic.

Therefore, fellow Senatores, i suggest we hold council, and lay out a solid plan, rather then consistantly squabbling and having our priorities constantly changing.
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Sound of footsteps echo into the Senate chamber. A salute by the guard announces the consul's arrival. Basiliscus himself walked into the room and took his seat next to his colleague, consul Scaurus.

Senators, I bring you good news. Capua has been taken and by your orders, the population has been enslaved. Though the death toll of the assault has been great, I consider this campaign a great success, which led us to a brief ending of the rebellion.

I am here in person to give you the report.

Capua had only a few units defending herself, with most of their army destroyed in my previous two battles.
    To be honest, I thought it would be a much more difficult battle, but luckily the enemy lacked in good leadership. They only left a unit of skirmishers on the walls, whilst I had two towers and a unit with ladders assaulting it.
    Unfortunately one of the towers caught fire under the artillery fire from the towers, but the other two units reached the walls without any serious damage.

I've sent our allied cohort into the fight first, with a unit of our own men supporting them. The enemy fought with great courage and would not falter. They caused a great amount of damage to our allied cohort, but this was precisely my intention, as this cohort was the one that fleed the field in the previous battle. I couldn't afford to decimate them earlier because I would make better use of them here - and they could regain their honour.
    At the other end of the wall, a cohort was succesfull in taking the gateway! Now, I was free to march my legion into the city.

A massive fight started just by the gates, as two cohorts attacked a unit of their spearmen. They didn't stand a chance against our men and they were quickly halved in size. They ran to the city center, where their army prepared their last stand.

They had a cohort and a unit of well equiped Campanian cavalry. I knew they would do great damage to my troops, but I had no choice. As soon as my men neared the square, the cavalry charged into them. Many fell, but they stood their ground. At the other side of the square, two cohorts and two cavalry units just arrived and I sent them charging into the enemy's backs. The fight lasted for a few more minutes, when the enemy surrendered.

Since the men wanted more blood, but your orders prohibited spiling of the citizen's, I gave them the surviving enemy soldiers and their general.
    They were beaten dead.

After the battle was over, I received a message from our spies that an army of rebels was on its way toward Tarentum. I left a unit of our equites in Capua and sent for a governor to Rome. After his arrival two days later, I left the city and headed straight to Tarentum. There we were awaited by a cohort of our Allies from Crotona, which managed to escape the rebels, and a unit of Greek slingers. It was from them that I learned that Hiero was financialy supporting Hannibal. They wanted to join in on the recapturing of their city and I accepted them into the ranks.

We approached the rebel army halfway between Tarentum and Crotona. I noticed they had no cavalry with them. It would be, as it turned out, another decisive victory.

I charged my infantry at them and sent the cavalry and the skirmishers behind their lines. They opened fire and took many of them. After that I sent what remained of my cavalry charging into their backs. Soon, the enemy cohorts started to run.

As before, I would give them no mercy. I tried to hunt down every man, but a unit of skirmishers managed to break free. Nonetheless, I managed to kill their general and take the rest of them. It was a clear victory, which leaves Crotona almost defensless. Only a unit of triarii and a unit of Greek slingers remain to defend it. An easy victory for whoever gets the task to take it.

This campaign is at an end. In four battles, I have defeated four rebel generals and almost three thousand of enemy soldiers. Our men have bled. But they never held back. The citizens of Capua were sold into slavery, while those of Crotona await their fates in terror. Roman legions have once and for all demonstrated their awesome power on Italian soil. Roman law and constitution shall rule Italy. Let us now turn to our true enemies - the Carthaginians.

I look back at my term as a succesfull one. My only regret is that my colleague and I had many differences. However, I believe I had acted true to my heart and always for the good of the Senate and People of Rome.

Regarding my request at declaring war on Syracuse and the Greek league they're in, I only suggested that as a preemptive strike. For they will attack. Hiero has recruited huge war machines, no doubt built by Archimedes himself. I do not see a reason why he did so, unless he wishes to conquer cities. However, I shall bow to your will. Let time show, what will happen.

He glanced at consul Scaurus who came here just before him. After battles they both fought against the enemies of the state, it was now a fitting end to their term, ending it where they started.

Pallas, perhaps you would have enjoyed it if I stayed and lost the rest of the legion? The legion just used to crush the rebels in Capua? The legion that you say was nearly destroyed? It looks fine to me Pallas, in fact, now that legion is over-strength because I rebuilt it.

Due to my strategies and tactics, you men are able to sit in these halls in safety because I was filled with so much 'hubris and audacity' to attack an enemy with 3 times the manpower and experience as my legion and what happened at Arretium? Oh, that's right, Hannibal's army was crushed and he was killed, the man all of you were so afraid of, gone in a matter of months and without drastic measures.

Perhaps you should show me where a mistake was made Pallas or you can keep your forked tongue hidden behind your lips where it belongs when it comes to military strategems.

Lucius turned to Scaurus.

Consul Scaurus, it seems you still have quite the capacity to amaze me as you should. As to Imperious, I have no idea where he is.

Consul Aquila, this is only formal but I also object to your proposal. That is all.

Lucius sat back down, once again exhausted by remembering events he'd rather not.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

You rushed in to battle against a superior opponent and barely managed to defeat him,perhaps Hannibal was distracted thinking about how any general could make such an obvious mistake unless it was a distraction to hide some ingenious plan?

Neither battle was rushed.

Trasimene was Flavius' fault for disobeying orders to await reinforcement, a problem I barely solved by a full retreat.

Arretium was a calculated move that worked in our favor, they were not expecting a full attack by a force so inferior so they left useless flank protection while we breached their center. The fact that our legion was fighting for their very lives left the Carthaginians with...other options.

Perhaps I should also note that the victory at Arretium was, in fact, overwhelming. Also Caelius, perhaps you need a lesson on when being partisan begins to border upon utter stupidity? I believe we already established you know nothing of matters military, are we to assume you know nothing of argumentative pose as well?

Lucius sat down, satisfied that the facts from his reports settled the rest of the pointless argument.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Enough.

Scaurus rapped his cane on the floor again.

Now that we have convened all manners of our magistrates within our halls, we must now evaluate our current standings amongst our friends and foes. The most immediate and pressing concern, of course, are the Carthaginians still in Northern Italy. Spain, of course, represents another strategic interest, for if we can contest with the enemy there, we will force them back towards their homeland and a concession could be made.

But there is another rising threat: the Antigonid Kingdom of Macedonia. Our allies in the area, the Spartans, have been embroiled in war against the Antigonids for some time now. And with our ranks holding idle in Dyrrhacium while we publicly support Sparta, it will only be a matter of time before the Antigonids turn their sarissa points at us. And thus, it is imperative that we not ignore the east as we concentrate our focus on the west. Our magistrates abroad have reached the end of their terms, meaning that we will need new blood, new men to fill their ranks. The governor of Sicily, Dyrrhacium, and Emporiae will be hard-pressed to safeguard their provinces, especially in light of my colleague's warning of Hiero and his ambitions. And if Hiero does indeed strike us, then the scattered Greek cities will band together against us as well. The entirety of the Pelopenneses will be embroiled in warfare and we will be beleaguered once more on all sides. For whoever shall receive the Spanish garrison, I have but one warning: do not attempt to strike into the Carthaginian strongholds. Instead, starve them out by depriving them of their vassals. The same could be said for almost any other nation with whom we war against.

The nomination of the new magistrates shall open soon, and I declare that the consulship of Scaurus and Aquila is at its end.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

OOC: (Hasn't it only been one turn?!)

ooc: no it's been 2, also, it's been one week per our usual timeline

Crusades

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

A herald walked into the curia, he seemed heavy with a painful weight. Lucius Tiberius Imperious had taken his leave from the senate halls days ago; however he never returned. "Loyal men of Rome. I come bearing news of the tragic death of Lucius Tiberius Imperious." The herald paused and took a deep breath, the herald was the nephew of Imperious, and shared Lucius's passionate love for the people and his nation. "His death has come under question; he was brutally murdered in his home a day ago. We have yet to bring anyone forward for his crimes. Despite some of the things I've heard from other Senators, he was a good man." The herald shuffled to the side; surely the Senate would have more important issues.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus was awed by the news. Feelings of shock and anger mixed up.
    He finally overcame his emotions and spoke.
    "Alas! Tragic news indeed fellow senators. We must find the despicable wench that did this. I curse he who brought about the death of a great man."
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Cassius stands slowly. "Good Tiberius was a good Roman.. and a good friend. I suggest we hold a public funeral and at least three days of votive games in his honor."

"Agreed. It is befitting to a man who gave so much to the people of Rome."
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW

Gave so much to Rome? He was single handedly responsible for losing Emporiae. Brutally murdered! Pah! It was probably just an elaborate suicide to prevent me from taking him to trial. A state funeral? Greater men have died for less!

Crusades

Titus felt anger swelling within him, but he wouldn't dare insult a superior, let alone an elder.
    He restrains himself, then spoke.
    "Such words insult the memory of a fellow Roman Senator. Tell me Scaurus, you would still hold a grudge with a dead man? He is gone from the living. Show a some respect."

He paused for a moment, then continued in a much louder voice.
    "I do not believe it is suicide. He was murdered by someone who hated him."

He locked eyes with Scaurus before he sat down.

"Scaurus is my primary suspect. He seems to hate Imperious so much. I must find out what I can."
    He said to himself.

OOC: It's just the character chaplain...nothing personal
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW

OOC: Nothing's ever personal here

Gerges stood, only recently returned from Hispania
    , Whilst we may well mourn the loss of a Roman, many of us here will not mourn the loss of a great Consul. Three days of votive games for a man who robbed a city of it's law and order, leaving a limited capability for control of the people in his wake. And what for? That he might have had a larger force in an attempt to gain greater glory.

Suicide would seem to be a likely solution, he knew there would be those amongst the Senate who would call him to account for his actions, let it be said that he chose an honourable way to end himself. This talk of murder is foolish, we are men of the law here.

With that Gerges returned to his seat.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456