Thread: Easy way to make money?

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Default Easy way to make money?

Ok so I like this mod alot and on my first time playing as Gondor...I am in a bit of a money spell...Even when I do take over settlements there is barely no point in sacking them as it gives hardly any gold. I have built as much farms ports and what not as I can and I barely get somewhere 1000-5000 gold a turn. I garrison as much men as I can and try to only have one or two huge standing armies (One for Hadar and one for Mordor) Is there any secret at least as playing as Gondor so I can get some cash and what not? Cause the Enemy at least Hadar does not seem to mind with their 3 full stacks they sent into my western lands...

jinjo's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Easy way to make money?

see other threads because this question is already answered

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257891

That's the Strat guide.

I'm currently playing my first campaign as the Harad, I'm at a standstill atm myself, I have just enough money to defend my lands from Gondor, but any hopes of expanding past my borders is just a dream atm, I don't know how I'll manage to take 35 settlements.

I might start a new game with the Rhun instead, no more Gondor knocking at the gate for me! I just hope the Dwarf's are less troublesome.
    Last edited by Officerpuppy; December 17, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Ah thanks for that guide + rep for you...Heh its funny were in the opposite directions...Hadar is nasty with their horse archers thankfully most of their cavalry gets negated by my spearmen and what not...And I have not seen Mumakill yet either thank goodness!

Striker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Officerpuppy View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257891

That's the Strat guide.

I'm currently playing my first campaign as the Harad, I'm at a standstill atm myself, I have just enough money to defend my lands from Gondor, but any hopes of expanding past my borders is just a dream atm, I don't know how I'll manage to take 35 settlements.

I might start a new game with the Rhun instead, no more Gondor knocking at the gate for me! I just hope the Dwarf's are less troublesome.

I found the dwarves even harder, especially when Kazad Guards (If it's the wrong name correct me please) and Dragonslayers come together.....

But this depends on your play style of course

I like Gondor, myself. It's one of the more challenging armies to play with - akin to Night Goblins in Call of Warhammer. Limited types of troops, which are strong where others are not, but weak where others are strong.

There are a few things I've picked up - Militia are awesome for their cost. While not as good stat wise against Warriors, if you actually take into account that they are cheaper to build, cheaper upkeep, cheaper and easier to replenish, then you can't go far wrong. Instead, wait until you get a few Armoured Warriors as gifts from the council. Not to mention that by the time you have access to armoured Warriors, some of your Militia infantry should at least be Silver Chevrons.

When you get "take settlement" options from the Council - take them only if they give a reward of useful units at the end, or money. By useful, I don't mean Ballista's when fighting constantly on the Defences in Sieges, I mean things like the aforementioned armoured warriors. Then, immediately give it in trade with someone either not yet at War with Mordor/Rhun, and then

It might be worth selling off some of your Eastern Settlements to Rohan - they'll be in need of them thanks to the effects of Isengard. Make sure you've built some of the basic infrastructure though first - such as Roads, Ports, and other Trade Generating Buildings (set the Tax level to the highest possible when you reach the minimum level to build them - and destroy other non-essential Infastructure to generate more money for your treasury. Just remember that although the initial increase gained from the expenditure is minute (about 0.5% return every turn per settlement according to some information sheets), that it also goes both ways. If the average settlement is bordered by 3 other settlements, and builds a Market, that's 0.5 for itself, and 3 others, totalling 2% return. If those 3 then build a Market, that's 2% per settlement. As you can see, it quickly mounts up - those 4 settlements each with a market generating 2% total return, but 16 times higher than initially shown. It's also exponential increase to a certain level as you progress through the game - and you'll eventually make back that expense.

On Minas Tirith, get up to Ballista Towers at least, if possible, Catapults, and leave a bodyguard of a half dozen archers, your best Governer, and a couple of Fountain Court Guard. This keeps it secure against all but the hardest opponents.

Opening moves - Secure Cair Andros, and Osgiliath West (and East, if possible). Build some of the crucial infrastructure (Basic Roads, always, plus markets/ports if you can stretch that far), and destroy non needed stuff. For example, a training ground in a low tier settlement. Then, sell them to Rohan.

One thing I'd made the mistake of was purchasing units when I didn't need to. When I was able to beat 3/4 stats with a half stack of troops in a siege defence, I didn't need to put in new units other than odd one to provide fresh troops. When you have a unit that's numbering only about 15% of their original or so after merging your units, it might be worth Disbanding them, or sending them as a suicide Scout unit.

Your bodyguards should only really be kept out the fighting in the settlements, and instead, just nearby to provide morale boosts.

This next one is a bit of an exploit against Stupid AI. To capture settlements easily (especially against Mordor and Dwarves), only use two-four Militia Cavalry units working in tandem. When the enemy sallies, send the non-Captain unit to one of the maps corners facing the open wall, and then the other Captains unit and any other light cavalry you took with you, begin to bait the enemy infantry. When the enemy are nearing the edge of the map and are beginning to tire, send your lone militia to claim the Plaza, game set and match.

On the defence, giving up the outer walls is a good idea. Stops you getting boned by the Siege Towers and Artillery. If you have Ballista or Catapult Towers, then having a unit of sacrificial archers with Fire Arrows on the outer walls allows them to try and stop any rams. If the enemy ram makes the gate, then withdraw your archers, and employ the same tactic on the Rams. Then on the inner gates, Stakes, and hold javelins and direct fire units to the side where any ladders go. That keeps your defences secure.

Ransoming is as good a way of winning some much needed cash - might be worth looking at Ransoming rather than just Executing them. Although there's no downside to Executing enemies, its can be worth the ransom. If you get to a stage where you have some fast Cavalry armies, and you can force an enemy to ransom, you can then catch them up with the cavalry, and attempt to repeat the tactic.

Good luck!.

Cheats.

Click here for the future Eurovision Songfestival winner
    The same brilliant person also made the BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    I still love you Dutchies Tukker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahoma View Post
    Don't talk to my sister Paul!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    But Nazis like ponies!

Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindel The Tukker View Post
    Cheats.
    hahaha

Tild...add_money 9000 keep repeating till you have what you want.
    Other than that, rob a Baron.