Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Those screens are awesome. I love Mordor's and Dead Marshes' textures .

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Agent007's Avatar Civis

Nice to see some screens from the strat. map. Can't wait to see the rest of Middle-Earth!

Are those tiny settlements (on shore of Gondor and Harad) just small towns or something new? I don't remember if they were there in 2.6, and they remind me of permanent stone forts of M2TW.

No, not settlements, that'd make the are too crowded.
    Last edited by Aradan; January 14, 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

It's one of Aradan's big "secrets"

Not really, it's neither a very big deal nor hard to implement. There are way cooler things in DoM than this!

It's amazing how much you can strech RTW engine. What could those tiny things be???

More or less what you said, "permanent forts" (of course not really forts). That's not really stretching though, you should see what I've done with campaign mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    I guess its okay to preview that portion of the campaign map of Dominion of Men that you already know from the former releases of The Fourth Age: Total War (note that many strat map models are placeholders currently:
    The way the different landscape textures merge and how the forests and small groves are placed, makes the map looks very organic and realistic - I'm sure it'll create a fine atmosphere. The Entwash delta-Wetwang-Dead marshes-area with it's swamps and marshes is one of my favourites already (looking forward to seeing it in-game in full size!); and also the colour of the Gorgoroth textures looks barren and gloomy, but at the same time not too black/dark. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    What could those tiny things be???
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    More or less what you said, "permanent forts" (of course not really forts).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The settlements in the blue circles look a little like the mini-regions from RTRVII-FOE, where you can't recruit units at all and can only build the most basic buildings (were those settlements in TNS already?; haven't got it installed atm, so I can't compare). The textures in the purple circles simply seem to represent small towns or villages. It's difficult to tell though, as the pics are quite small.

Not really, it's neither a very big deal nor hard to implement. There are way cooler things in DoM than this!
    That's not really stretching though, you should see what I've done with campaign mechanics.
    This is morgothish teasing in it's purest manifestation. It does sounds very promising though. Can wait to get my hands on this!

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Dead Marshes are truely amazing! And it's lovely to see the cultivated fields around Gondor's cities and a more fertile Harad.
    Great to see a unique model for Edoras, too. But where's Aglarond gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    Are those tiny settlements (on shore of Gondor and Harad) just small towns or something new? I don't remember if they were there in 2.6, and they remind me of permanent stone forts of M2TW.
    Well, on the first glance I'd say these forts have replaced the old model of the strongholds.
    But having had a closer look I see that those forts (those with a flag) do have a province assigned, with fishing villages and maritime trade (screen #3) and even roads leading there (screen #2, but hard to see).
    There also are other 'villages', e.g. directly south of Minas Tirith. I guess the latter are some sort of resource. The 'forts', well, I guess they resemble the tiny settlements in RTR. I'm getting really curious.

Regarding Rivers: Yeah, Serni should meet Gilrain north of Linhir. Morgulduin's course is somewhat weird. And Entwash delta is pretty rectangular.

EDIT: Someone was faster again.
    Last edited by Thangaror; January 15, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Dead Marshes are truely amazing! And it's lovely to see the cultivated fields around Gondor's cities and a more fertile Harad.
    The whole map is awesome, really. It actually inspires me to mod!

Great to see a unique model for Edoras, too. But where's Aglarond gone?
    Edoras had a unique model in TNS too! This is just a new one (by Jarlaxe). Aglarond is no longer a province. It's a wonder now.

Well, on the first glance I'd say these forts have replaced the old model of the strongholds.
    The fort model is a placeholder.

There also are other 'villages', e.g. directly south of Minas Tirith.I guess the latter are some sort of resource.
    Yup. Just for visual flavour.

The 'forts', well, I guess they resemble the tiny settlements in RTR. I'm getting really curious.
    Yes and no. The minor-regions in RTR have fixed population and can be developed. Ours don't have fixed population (there's a very low cap), but cannot be developed (with some exceptions), they are just garrisoned. They do offer advantages other than just guarding an area though.

Regarding Rivers: Yeah, Serni should meet Gilrain north of Linhir. Morgulduin's course is somewhat weird. And Entwash delta is pretty rectangular.
    I've fixed the area around Linhir (to the degree allowed by the engine), you had commented on that some months ago too iirc. Ithilduin's course was a bit different, but had to change to what you see, because the game does ugly things with rivers on the battlemap when going down mountains and hills. Eorl spent quite a bit of time trying to make it look good, but we had to change the strat-map course of the river in the end. As for Entwash, the game does not allow diagonals when plotting river-courses and it also doesn't allow rivers branching out and then re-joining, so that's the best arrangamenet possible, I think, after having spent quite some time trying different things.

This is morgothish teasing in it's purest manifestation. It does sounds very promising though. Can wait to get my hands on this!
    Last edited by Aradan; February 12, 2012 at 05:22 AM.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

truly amazing map....can't wait to play it !

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Makes me want to jump into a TARDIS and travel to when this comes out I just want DoM, and to battle as Dwarves with my voice as their units! It'll be like commanding hundreds of mini-me's with awesome beards.

Keep up the good work guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    As befits the Dead Marshes, the maps are pretty deadly:

-You should deploy units individually, because if you group-deploy, units on the far flanks could be placed into the water areas (which you can't when placing them individually), which might lead to death by drowning if the water is too deep.

-Routing units may run into water that is too deep, making them drown.

But hey, who said that fighting a battle with huge armies in a swamp is easy?

Testing needs to be done, though. For now, I'm glad that I managed to get this nice battlemap translation.
    That is awesome! I can't wait for this mod, you guys always release impeccable quality.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

I've become bored with static screenshots, so I've started to acquaint myself with a video cutting/editing program I purchased on saturday, and this is the first non-fancy, still very basic result I produced in two hours (taking footage and post-producing). More - and more refined - video previews are to follow. Enjoy:

Last edited by Éorl; February 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Great !

I love the grasses, the skies and the music . Can't wait to see more video.

+Rep

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

The environment is awesome. And the music. I love to see the minor changes you made. The new textures for Dunland's Tribal Pikes and the Spearmen's shields, the highly improved shields of the RotKH and I think you did something on the RotM's faces, didn't you? They look awesome! However, I think the RotM's shields are a bit too plain.
    To be honest, I always thougth the highly realistic depiction of the horse on Rohan's shields in FATW is sorta weird. Some farmers, herders painted it on their shields, not Alexander von Humboldt.

I actually expect a far more 'basic' depiction. Like the Uffington White Horse for example.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

To be honest, I always thougth the highly realistic depiction of the horse on Rohan's shields in FATW is sorta weird. Some farmers, herders painted it on their shields, not Alexander von Humboldt.

I actually expect a far more 'basic' depiction. Like the Uffington White Horse for example.
    That's a very good suggestion and I'll change it today.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Beautiful stuff, Eorl!

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    They outsourced it to Humboldt.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele