Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Official WIP Screenshot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    I guess this counts as a screenshot...

I've been too busy lately to do a proper preview of the non-gfx department of the mod, so here's a little something for you.

Province set-up is WIP. One (emergent) faction missing. Have fun guessing!
    Mmm, that looks lovely to play with.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Dammit Aradan, this means my political map is usless right?

The Dwarves seem pretty screwed over territory-wise. Obviously they get Khazad-dum, Erebor and the Iron Hills, will they have Belegost and Narag-zigil under their control as well? Still looks to me like you will need to expand quickly as them or you are screwed, but I thought they would be more numerous and have less population issues then the Elves?

They are more numerous and do have smaller population issues than Elves; that doesn't mean they don't have issues at all. Elven and Dwarven campaigns will be hard.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Come on, so easily?
    Well, your arguments are quite convincing. Unfortunately it's impossible to represent a weak economy/fertility by setting a max. population for a single settlement in a certain province. But I'm only convinced basically, I still have obections.

And I just added a province in Rhovanion...
    My spell is working.

Wolloloooo, wolloloooo, wollolooo.

So, you're convinced no more provinces are needed in Cardolan, Rhudar, Upper Anduin, etc?
    I'd probably still split Cardolan and Rhudaur.
    I'm really not sure concerning Upper Anduin. The Beorning's land around Anduin *could* be split in two provinces, Anduin being the border. Regarding what we read in The Hobbit those lands seem to be pretty civilized and developed quite well afterwards as Glóin states in The Fellowship. But I think there are no accounts what befell them during the War of the Ring.
    So, this basically depends on how Beornings develop in-game. Since Elves don't expand they might perform not bad.

Still think a second settlement is needed in N. Greenwood?
    Since the AI does not attack Elves and Dwarves as you said, the matter is not that urgent.

But still it would feel better for following reason:
    A second settlement would represent that the Kingdom of Thranduil is the last, the largest, the most powerful and oldest (intact) of all Elvish realms with a, for Elves in the FO, considerable large population that is not as "depressive" as their Noldor, Sindar and Galadhrim brethren but still joyful and also ready to *go* to war at need (and be it for gold only ) and not only defend their homelands. It should be *the* power base of the Elves and Thranduil acknowledged by many as the rightful "High-king".
    Also Greenwood is vast and it's inhabitants should live, now that most dangers are eliminated, pretty scattered throughout the eastern part. Therefore I think it's absurd that it is possible to eliminate Elven presence in this really ancient realm with but one successful attack on Thranduil's Halls.

It's a bit of educated guesswork actually, not evidence per se. Eg: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/832355/posts
    Gosh, there are so many essays in the web on Tolkien issues. And I don't even know all of the authors and pages. We should create a library here in the forums.
    No and no.
    Uh, well this now troubles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelo View Post
    Dammit Aradan, this means my political map is usless right?
    Yes.
    will they have Belegost and Narag-zigil under their control as well?
    And yes. Look at the map more closely.
    Last edited by Thangaror; June 21, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

I'm still racking my brain over that emerging faction.
    Oddly enough all factions that I considered possibly being emerging factions are already there:

Khand, breaking of from the Easterlings
    Rhovanion/Beornings, breaking of from Dale
    Harondor/Far Harad, breaking of from Harad
    Tharbad, emerging under certain circumstances

So, there are few possibilities left.

Maybe a Bree-faction?
    Or Adûnabâr rebels, forming a "good" Adûnabâr?
    Esgaroth?
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

It's about a place that's mentioned in a published book

Many places are mentioned in a published book...

Does the infamous King Bladorthin return from the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It's about a place that's mentioned in a published book
    Forochel? Or perhaps an independent Umbar?

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    A second settlement would represent that the Kingdom of Thranduil is the last, the largest, the most powerful and oldest (intact) of all Elvish realms with a, for Elves in the FO, considerable large population that is not as "depressive" as their Noldor, Sindar and Galadhrim brethren but still joyful and also ready to *go* to war at need (and be it for gold only ) and not only defend their homelands. It should be *the* power base of the Elves and Thranduil acknowledged by many as the rightful "High-king".
    Agreed, Thranduils Halls are the most 'booming' of the elven kingdoms still lingering in the Fourth Age, but it's a long way away from him being acknowledged the rightful High King. It is likely Elladan & Elrohir are still knocking about & they have the bloodlines of Maiar, Noldorin High Kings, Vanyar Princesses, Sindarin Kings & various Princes. I would say that if anyone has a claim to the High Kingship (even as a token of "Who has the most powerful kingdom and/or wisest") it would be these guys. Given Elrond was also kinda seen as the 'default' elf for all elves to refer to in the Third Age (even though Tolkien stated, through Galadriel, that Celeborn was in fact the wisest), as his heirs Elladan & Elrohir are surely to be involved with what is happening. I'll be sorely disappointed if not.

However, agreed with the rest of & everyone else's posts and loving the map. Aradan just couldn't help but let a little bit of the surprise out
    Emberverse: Total War - The Protectors War

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Does the infamous King Bladorthin return from the dead?
    we dunno exactly from where King Bladorthin comes from, We can only do guesses

Well, of course Thranduil was not *the* rightful High-king. Thingol was "High-king" of the Sindar (though he never claimed this title, he was merely *the* king and there were no others after Denethor's death). Díor had already significantly lost importance. Gil-galad might be seen as Thingol's successor, since he was his, uhm, great-great-grandnephew (according to the newest genealogy). But as a matter of fact there was never again a "King of the Sindar" like Thingol. And after Gil-galad's fall there even was no king anymore west of Hithaeglir. In late TA Thranduil was the only remaining ruler who claimed the title "King".

Still, Thranduil became the most important Elf in ME after the War of the Ring. Círdan never claimed a title and Celeborn at this time had sort of settled down at his summer cottage becoming a retiree. Also we should keep in mind his considerable age which is often forgotten (more than 6000 years!) and the fact that he probably was related in some way to Thingol himself.
    Whom would have e.g. Lórien called upon if suddenly assailed by a foe? Of course Thranduil. Where would Elves flee if there homes were destroyed (before sailing west)? Of course to Thranduil.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    we dunno exactly from where King Bladorthin comes from, We can only do guesses
    I don't think I've encountered that name before, at least I don't remember it. Care to tell us what you know about the guy?

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Tears of joy!

I don't think I've encountered that name before, at least I don't remember it. Care to tell us what you know about the guy?
    in the hobbit, it's mentioned that in the treasuries of Erebor, there is found, among others, a shipment of spears for "King Blandorthin". There was a theory I had found ages ago in the web, that quite reasonably guesses from where king Blandorthin could be from.

Google is your friend.

http://lalaith.vpsurf.de/Tolkien/Bladorthin.html

This is an intriguing essay on Bladorthin & Dorwinion anthropology/politics in general. I'll be very, very interested to see how this faction is implemented into DoM. I had assumed they'd be similar to the Wainriders, but it would seem from this research that it is likely they are more like middle men, along the lines of Dale & Rohan...
    Last edited by Finrod Felagund; June 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Emberverse: Total War - The Protectors War

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Can't wait for the next release

Well, Dorwinion would make a fascinating faction. Otherwise maybe orcs coming from the misty mountains in a horde or something like that?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Man I can't wait for the next preview...Can we get a preview of the new Reunited Kingdom units?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

We know these. Guess they didn't change that much. Wanna see Elves and Dwarves!

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

I was busy with job-hunting the last three weeks, and now got one paid well enough. So, even though I'm working a bit more now in terms of hours per week, I'll be able to devote more time to the mod again. So stay tuned, I'll see what I can offer you preview-wise.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user