Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Imperious and Poplicola, 536 A.V.C.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Consulate of Imperious and Poplicola, 536 A.V.C.

"Senators, this is a time of crisis! Would you see these marble halls cast down by celtic and punic scum? Or would you see extend its reach to the furthest ends of the world!? This is the point of decision! This is the time of trying, as the fine sword is beaten in the heat of the forge! This is the time to put aside our political differences! The people call for our aid, the people who give our Republic its strength! They are dying at the hands of these Carthaginians and instead we play politics! All of those who move to help shall be remembered in the annals of the Senate as heroes, while those who delay will only be spoken of in hushed whispers of contempt!"

Civis

"Praetor Cassius is right. To speak of these matters while Carthaginian trash still march across our soil is practically outrageous. With all due respect I believe it's fallen on me to say what others seem to be shying away from. Consul Valerius can barely walk let alone lead a legion... To place the responsibility of wiping out this threat in a wounded mans hands, consul or no, would be an egregious tactical error that would likely lead to more Roman casualties. Now, I don't know about those voting against the Praetor, but I certainly want to avoid that."
    YATS Character: Senator Servius Claudius Caninus, Age: 30, Plebeian.

A messenger rushes into the Curia and whispers quickly into Cassius' ear. Cassius stands to address the Senate. "Great fathers! I have received much news! Firstly, our naval forces have won a great victory off the coast of Sicilia!Our transport operations will continue uninhibited!
    Secondly, there have been riots in Emporion, despite our measure to prevent civil unrest. I fear if the situation is not rectified we may lose the city.
    However, I save the gravest news for last. The army of Carthage has turned on Arretium and now lays it under siege! It seems their lowly Captain Kanmi has been raised to the nobility for his victory over us. Another army of theirs, though smaller, descends upon Arminium.

Troubling times indeed. This only increases the urgency of my march! This is the opportune time, as our levies have also been completed!"

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

"this news is grave indeed. As much as i prefer the normal order of things, this threat must be removed. even though the vote will most likely grant imperium anyway, i will accept the need for such measures, and offer support to the Praetor to lead the army against the Carthaginians. I pray that other skeptical Patricians can do the same until this threat is gone. Praetor, may the gods watch over you and your army...for the sake of the Republic, you must return a victory!"
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

I leave for the defense of Arretium.

Lucius enters the Curia, no longer limping. "The time for resting is over" he thought.

I will leave Rome in the faithful hands of the quaestor. For now, I will organize the defense. Those are my troops and I wintered them there after the battle. They are my responsibility. I will find some way into the defenses.

Lucius left the curia, leaving behind a mass of confused and befuddled senators.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Cassius stands up and shouts after him. "I don't think this is wise, but I trust in your courage! Gods be with you consul!"

As Cassius sits he notices a note on his seat. It reads:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I'm sorry my friend but it seems I have no choice. There can be no more delays, no more retreats. We will draw the line here at Arretium and battle Hannibal's army to the death. My sister Appia is in the settlement and I am bound by sacred oath to save her. I hope you understand.

Sincerely,
    Lucius.

Cassius stands once more. "Now we see the true urgency, Senators! A consul of Rome soon to be besieged, and the need for my Imperium but increases. I ask the Senate to release me to duty immediately! Rome is the only mother we know, gentlemen. She calls for aid! Shall we answer them or cover our ears and pretend all is well!?"

For the next few days utter silence befell the curia. No news from Arretium had been sent and many silently pondered what the consul had meant by "organizing the defense". Suddenly the doors of the curia opened and Lucius walked in heavily. He was wearing a clean toga and he trimmed his beard although his hands were still smothered in blood, a problem he rectified as he entered.

I suppose you are wondering where I've been and why I have sent no word. To be honest, sending word has been impossible and any attempts would have been a waste of men. I'm sure you're wondering how Arretium is doing and why I've returned so early? Arretium is safe.

The truth is, I left the senate house and went to Arretium and attacked Hannibal's army. It was the one thing he could not predict. All these time we have fought him with masses of soldiers and equipment with a slow and deliberate assault until now, when things looked the most bleak he was attacked from a perfect defensive position by a force half his size.

He lost his cavalry while his light troops tried to flee, he lost his light troops as his infantry tried to flee, and he lost his infantry as their commander tried to flee. His commander was killed by one of our brave Greek allies and his sling.

Hannibal has been defeated. The man he designated to lead his army...dead. The army destined to ravage the countryside destroyed. The spirit of the legions destroyed revived and the republic saved.

Lucius snapped his fingers and two soldiers still in battle-dress brought in a stretcher with a dying man, he wore expensive armor of a silver hue and his face bore a beard.

Silence hit the Curia like a battering ram. Cassius stood hesitantly. "And this... is this that General Kanmi who stood after Hannibal's death? Why bring him here?"

Lucius let a chuckle out into the chamber that echoed the slightest bit to add to the surreal moment.

Doesn't he look so much like his father? Here I was thinking he was dead...

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

A loud snore comes from the rear of the chamber, a less than subtle poke from Lucius Primus wakes his friend up.

Stop it, somethings happening you fool!

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Through the doors of the Senate walked a man who's face had barely scratched the halls of the Senate. It was Consul Lucius Tiberius Imperious, the young man was dressed in full legionary regalia, he refused the mostly ornate armor of the Generals and Senators, he preferred to battle with his father's old armor which had saved his father before his leave. Consul Imperious stood at the door of the Senate, his hands bloodied and his face dirtied. He didn't expect a grand procession, he didn't want one. "Senators, I have returned from Hispania." He starred at the faces of the Senators, many of whom eyed the man. Consul Imperious had taken leave to Hispania before the Senate entered full session. "We have further expanded the Republic's border. Rome's proud Legion has captured the coastal town of Sagunton from the barbarian Carthaginians." Imperious drew a scroll from his satchel which was at his side and read the scroll aloud.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ((OCC: Images are only for appearance, naturally...they aren't on the scroll...lol. Also, the resolution is off due to me never setting my options lol. Also, this is my first time writing an AAR style kinda thing so bare with me.))

A proud legion of Rome had been deployed to battle the barbarian hordes who stood under the Carthaginian banner. My tribune, Publius Cornelius Scipio, an acclaimed man of the Roman People and Senate was by my side throughout the entire process, any man brave enough to fight for the People and Senate of Rome is to be recognized.

The proud cohorts of the Legion easily fended off the the barbarian weaklings who have been entirely destroyed by my cohorts. Tribune Scipio helped finish off the barbarian hordes who have so foolishly attempted to attack us.

As the cohorts and other men entered the small village we met little resistance, people fled into their homes and others threw down their arms and surrendered to the marching Roman Legion, they were slaughtered without hesitation.

The town square was defended the heaviest with the obvious levies which had taken up arms against the unstoppable power of the Roman Republic and their mighty legions. As the centurions issued commands and my Tribune issued the calvary to assist the men in chasing down the vicious barbarian horseback javelin throwers which had threatened the legion.

As the barbarians backed themselves against each other, the legions had encroached against the barbarian hordes until nothing was left, not a single creature remained of the so called Carthaginian army.

After cleaning the town of the Carthaginian presence, I ordered the enslavement of the settlement, only those who were of sound mind and of female nature were allowed to remain, the elder remained and few young males who had sworn oaths of loyalty to the Roman Republic were allowed to remain within the town.

Last edited by CK23; December 17, 2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Accidental post, finished post.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

"With respect, Consul, now is not the time." Cassius gestured to Consul Valerius and the captive.

Petillius smiled at the irony of it. What cruel twist of fate had led this man, arch enemy of Rome, to be stretchered in before them. Petillius was not a cruel man, but he could not help but feel a deep hatred for the man who had destroyed so many Roman lives

"So! Can this really be the greatest general Carthage has ever produced in our own hall?It looks like you gave him quite a beating consul. But why, may i ask, have you brought him back with you?

For the amusement of the plebs, perhaps?"

(OOC i hope i haven't got the wrong end of the stick here)
    Last edited by Imperator_OfRome; December 17, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
    Aulus Petillius Vespasianus: Patrician, Senator, Age 32

I can assure you I did nothing to him. That my friends and esteemed senators is what a pilum will do to a man. Mortally-wounded at the battle of Trasimene he had a captain-turned-general act in his stead. He was not as good as his counterpart however and I found this man in the enemy camp, abandoned by his mercenaries as our soldiers took anything they could find that those barbarians didn't take with them.

"For the plebs indeed, good Vespasianus! For it was the plebs that have bled for this victory. It was the plebs who DIED for this victory! It is the plebs that his glorious victory is built upon! Not some prattling blueblood from the Senate House! I would have all remember who is truly the soul of this republic!"

Civis

Servius immediately stood to his feet as he realized what Consul Valerius had done. His eyes fixed on the battered man in expensive battle dress and scowls, both at him an the Consul before speaking.

"To bring an enemy of the republic into this holy place is practically an affront to the Gods, as well as the senators of Rome. Is it not more appropriate to throw this wounded beast into some dank, filthy cell as opposed to filling the curia with his Carthaginian stink? Or do you seek praise for slaying this pathetic fool? I'm afraid you'll find none here, Consul."

Servius sat back down with a look of utter disgust still quite evident in his eyes. Nothing like this had been done before and he intended to make the distastefulness of the event known to his peers.
    YATS Character: Senator Servius Claudius Caninus, Age: 30, Plebeian.

"If it were my choice i would have him thrown down the steps of the senate and to the wolves below! It is as Cassius says. The plebs died because of this man and so it seems fitting that the people of Rome are the ones who should decide the fate of this Cur!
    He deserves less formality and respect than a common thief.

Vespasianus took a few deep breaths, in an effort to control the rage that had suddenly overcome him. After a few seconds, when he had regained his senses, he continued in a calmer tone

"However, i do not think we should blame the consul for bringing him to this room. Lucius has done us a great justice today, and we have yet to congratulate him on his success"
    Last edited by Imperator_OfRome; December 17, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Aulus Petillius Vespasianus: Patrician, Senator, Age 32

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

His news had been overshadowed by the arrival of a dead Carthaginian General, despite seeing the dead, rotting body of a man who had caused the death of numerous people within the Roman Republic; it was in fact true what Senator Servius had said. "Consul Valerius, despite the pleasure it may bring the masses of the people to see such a man dead...it is utter dishonor to halls of our hallowed ancestors." Consul Imperious was not discrediting his Co-Consul, but instead informing him that it wasn't proper of him to bring a dead enemy into the halls of Rome. "Congratulations are naturally in order however, you have my deepest respect for your actions, as well as the Legion's actions."

Consul Imperious's eyes turned to the fiery Praetor, who was spewing anti-Patrician antics at the fellow Senators. "Division amongst the Republic is what cast us into this position my dear Cassius. It is better to set aside ancient rivalries for the good of the Republic and the People." Imperious smiled softly at the Praetor, he wished to sooth the passionate Senate, for it was just this type of attitude which saw the Roman Kingdom falter, the same would not happen.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast