Thread: Change Elite Unit limit

Default Change Elite Unit limit

Hello everyone, I would like to find out how do I change the limit for elite units, I do know that it should be in the unit table file, but after I changed it, and I added my mod to the user.scripts.txt, it still did'nt work.( I have also ensured that I spelled everything correctly)
    Any help from you guys would be deeply appreciated.

I have also already checked erasmus's guide on how to make a mod, but could anyone provide a more elaborated explanation on how to make it usable in ntw? Thanks.

Default Re: Change Elite Unit limit

The basic unit limit is in the in the unit tables in the 17th column. Change it to zero for a unlimited number or enter the number of choice.

However if you expand the number of units of a type the extra ones created probably won't be numbered. It appears you'd have to make and entry in unit regiment names for that.

Copy the DB of patch 4 for your mod file.

Best to insert a largely unaltered mod file and launch it with modmanager which will create the script file. Un-tick the box named "all pack files" and you see a box to be ticked beside your mod file, tick that and launch.

If you've corrupted your mod file directory structure then the game will crash as it loads. Best to save ofter and keep a spare mod file copy that you update when you know the alterations load.

Marshal Beale's basic instructions are easy to follow.

Ok, lets start off by making your first mod!

1. Ok, create a new folder on your desktop, call it "My Mod" or the name of your mod.
    2. Ok, now open the PFM, and find the file(s) that you wish to edit (Find other tutorials for more percific details on how to edit)
    3. Don't edit them yet, extract them to the folder you made step 1
    4. Now click on 'File/New' and then when asked which folder do you want it to be relative to, press the folder yo created in step 1.
    5.Now right click and press "add directory" and click on the folder you created in step 1.
    6.Now all of the files you extracted should be in your new pack, now right click somewhere on the left panel, and press 'Change Mod Type' and usually change it to 'mod' (There is also movie, patch, release, but they don't mean anything, they are just different types of packs, but stick with mod) Now save your pack to Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Napoleon Total War/data, call it whatever like "My_Awesome_Mod" or whatever.
    7. Now edit your files, edit tga's dds', or DB files, whatever you want to edit, there are other tutorials that go into more detail for what you particually want to mod, just call them the same thing when you resave them in the same place as 6!
    8. To activate your mod, go to your AppData/Roaming/Creative Assembly/Napoleon/Scripts and create a user.scprit text file with Notepad and type in it: mod xxxx.pack; (xxxx being the name of your mod) and then save it, making sure it is saved as unicode.

Warning, Appdata may be hidden, so you may have to look hard to find it, Appdata is usually found in your User folder for Vista or Win 7, meaning the folder named what your computer is called, usually found on your desktop!
    Last edited by wulfgar610; December 10, 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks so much, I did not know there was a DB in that patch, thanks for your help +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Billionguy View Post
    Thanks so much, I did not know there was a DB in that patch, thanks for your help +rep.
    Well the DB is probably only a 10th of the patch and that is all you want. Just click on the DB and extract that to your temp folder. You'll what find you've copied will all be foldered in the normal windows fashion. The PFM further operations copy and alter that into a mod packfile that you insert in your NTW data folder.

So must I use the whole of the DB?
    Last edited by Billionguy; December 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks, but when I tried to do it again today, it did not work againo.o, so i was just wondering about two things, is there something to tell me that my mod works and I have to copy the whole of the db in right? Because I think before that I only copied the unit_tables part.
    Well whatever files are in the pack have to be given a directory structure. I'd copy the entire DB.

3. Don't edit them yet, extract them to the folder you made step 1
    Ok, right click on "DB" and a box comes up. "Extract selected" to your temp folder.

4. Now click on 'File/New' and then when asked which folder do you want it to be relative to, press the folder yo created in step 1.
    Relative to your temp folder.

5.Now right click and press "add directory" and click on the folder you created in step 1
    6.Now all of the files you extracted should be in your new pack, now right click somewhere on the left panel, and press 'Change Mod Type' and usually change it to 'mod' (
    Now save your pack to Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Napoleon Total War/data, call it whatever like "My_Awesome_Mod" or whatever.
    Okay, now you got a duplicate of the DB as "my mod" in your NTW Data Folder. Don't edit yet, check to see if it loads.

Use modmanager to launch it and if it loads okay, so far so good.

Once you've checked your vanilla "my mod" is working, you can start making changes to it. If it crashes after that then you are doing something wrong when you edit.

About the mod manager, where is it?

About the mod manager, where is it?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344757

Either that or you create a file with note pad and save in unicode as "user script" with mod "my_mod.pack"; (just copy and paste on note pad the line in black)

Save to ....local disk C/ documents and settings/ "your name"/application data/The creative assembly (or sega)/Napoleon/scripts

You might have to check on your name folder /file/preferences/ and un-tick/the hidden box to reveal the hidden folders.

(nothing)
    Last edited by Billionguy; December 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

LOL it works thanks so much man, one last quest how do I plus your rep =P

LOL it works thanks so much man, one last quest how do I plus your rep =P
    Cool, remember to keep a spare copy of your mod. If you make changes that corrupt the directory then you'll save most of your work.

Blak's Avatar Libertus

where are the unit tables

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

In data.pack / db or patch4.db

I attempted to make my own unit limit mod, it didnt work (I think I need to follow the instructions closer). Thats fine, I will fiddle with that later. I deleted my mod and now there is no audio in game. But there is sound in the opening videos. Does anyone know whats wrong? My speakers work fine and all the sound settings in game are turned on and are set to the max so I know that is not it. Thanks.

***Never mind I fixed the problem. Remember to delete user.script!
    Last edited by Fingy; January 24, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

CHOTCHMCGEE's Avatar Libertus

Icon10 Re: Change Elite Unit limit

Im not a moder, but I want extra elite units. Anyone generous enough to help?

Patrician Artifex

Some people have generously made PFM to edit files. Others have generously made tutorials.

Why don't you use them and learn how to do it yourself?

Ok, got the PFM and made my own mod via tutorial. It works, but my campaign victory conditions have disapeared and victory is declared at the start of campaign of the coalition. Even worse,(sort of), I automatically gained the Medallion of an Imperial Phycopath, The Bronze Armchair of Comfort, and The Lions and Sabers Medals!!!???

Figured out last problem, but now Im trying to adjust the mod for both the vanilla db pack and patch3 pack. Do they have to be one mod?I made two with all unit limits in both db files 0, with two separete mods and game crashes. Im probably doing something embarrassing and stupid, help?

Patrician Artifex

Make a new empty mod. Extract only the unit table from patch3 (or patch4 if you have it).
    Import this table in your empty mod.
    Then modify the limit table and set it to 0.
    Your mod will be loaded last, and will replace the table.
    Patach4.pack replaces patch3.pack, patch3.pack replaces data.pack, and then your mod replace patch4.pack (or patch3 if you don't have patch4).

So be careful, if you make two mods, one for data.pack and one for patch3.pack, and the one based on data.pack is loaded last, it will replace everything.

So it will not contains the extra units added by patch3, hence the crash.

Conclusion: make only one mod based on the latest patch containing the units table (patch3 or patch 4, but not patch5)

Fixed it thank you, I would give you rep if I could.