Thread: Recruitment Question

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Default Recruitment Question

I didnt know whether or not this should be posted in the Tech help, submods, or here, but here goes.

Im playing a Seleucid campaign,and it got pretty difficult, starting out with such trash
    Now before anyone says im taking the easy way out let me explain. I tested, and was thinking of running a Pergamon-as-Seleucid-Heirs campaign. However, once i had regained most seleucid lands (up to babylon at least, Parthia permitting), i want to be able to recruit the Seleucid Pike Phalanxes (silver shields only really).

So does simply editing the EDU, EDB, and adding a line for the textures and sprites "numida, blahblahblah.tga" work? or will i get a CTD?
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Default Re: Recruitment Question

Quote Originally Posted by AspisPhalanx90 View Post
    I didnt know whether or not this should be posted in the Tech help, submods, or here, but here goes.

Im playing a Seleucid campaign,and it got pretty difficult, starting out with such trash
    Now before anyone says im taking the easy way out let me explain. I tested, and was thinking of running a Pergamon-as-Seleucid-Heirs campaign. However, once i had regained most seleucid lands (up to babylon at least, Parthia permitting), i want to be able to recruit the Seleucid Pike Phalanxes (silver shields only really).

So does simply editing the EDU, EDB, and adding a line for the textures and sprites "numida, blahblahblah.tga" work? or will i get a CTD?

isn't that like cheating?

it should work out fine...
    but make backups before you edit stuff
    just to be safe
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Quote Originally Posted by drecie14 View Post
    isn't that like cheating?

it should work out fine...
    but make backups before you edit stuff
    just to be safe
    yeah yeah yeah, before anyone gives me a history lesson let me state that im quite aware HISTORICALLY pergamon and the seleucids hated each other...but in my ALTERNATE-HISTORY, its more of a rebellion out of necessity, rather then "hey, you guys oppress us...we say bye bye"

EDIT: Tis mostly because i want to start off small, and i think Pergamon has a pretty similar roster and a good position (i <3 Thorakitai Agyriaspedes(sp)....sooo..theres my reasoning

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Quote Originally Posted by AspisPhalanx90 View Post
    yeah yeah yeah, before anyone gives me a history lesson let me state that im quite aware HISTORICALLY pergamon and the seleucids hated each other...but in my ALTERNATE-HISTORY, its more of a rebellion out of necessity, rather then "hey, you guys oppress us...we say bye bye"

EDIT: Tis mostly because i want to start off small, and i think Pergamon has a pretty similar roster and a good position (i <3 Thorakitai Agyriaspedes(sp)....sooo..theres my reasoning

great idea

i love those guys too
    they looked so cool
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

One more thing, if DVK or someone with some mod expertise....if i copied the Seleucid surnames in desc_names to the numidia entry, will these names show up in the campaign? and if so, will it effect adopted/married fms, or will it eventually effect children as the generations go by and names are randomly generated?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

You could copy the Seleucid names, but you need to make sure there are no duplicates in the list (in descr_names.txt). Tedious business. Don't remove any without checking descr_strat.txt in the campaign you are working on, as you may get a CTD.

As for the unit you mentioned, yes, duplicate the texture and sprite setting in DMB from Seleucid for 'numidia'. Then add numidia to the ownership of the unit in EDU. Then put the unit in the 'greek_order' barracks which only numidia (Pergamon) uses.
    T make it all pretty and such, copy the unit cards (small and large) into the numidia folders from the seleucid folders.

Alternate history campaigns can be a lot of fun, actually. I've been working off and on (mostly off, lol) on an alternate history Roman campaign for RS2. In this particular scenario, the Romans lost the 2nd Punic War. Hannibal sacked Rome and left. Capua formed the 'Capuan Republic' and controls southern Italy. Carthage is happy to let the much weakened Rome duke it out with a more powerful Capuan state, so has went about it's business building an economic Empire. I think the scenario could be fun, because the lack of Roman influence has caused incredibly powerful Celtic states to arise in Europe...indeed, the whole face of the map is different because Rome had no power to interfere. Macedon has emerged as a powerful Empire bent on reclaiming what was Alexander's. Parthia has beaten the Seleucid's down to a few coastal regions. Macedon is at war with what remains of the Ptolemies, and has taken Alexandria. The year is around 30BC, and the Capuans have just taken Umbria from the Romans...defeating a Roman general who was betrayed by the Senate, and deceived into believing the Senate would provide support for the war in Umbria. But the Senate is afraid and more determined to pacify the Capuans, so they left their General hanging, and he lost. His name is Julius Ceasar....and he's pissed.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

The macedonians took Alexandria? Wow never seen the AI use naval invasions that far away. Ive seen one naval invasion in total using Alex exe. Should i play on hard (as opposed to medium) to get the best out of the AI, like more naval invasions ?

well, do i still have to worry about the duplicates since its just the surnames? it doesnt look like numidia has any surnames, so there wouldnt be a duplicate?

I only copied the surnames over, as i wanted to have a more Seleucid feel to the families....would love to see an Attalus Nicator or Philaetros Soter pop up somewhere, or even what my governor of egypt was in a seleucid campgain "Ptolemy Epiphanes Philadelphus"

its funny, all of my campaigns lately have involved Rome being a tiny italian state and nothing more. The barbarian tribes have actually formed almost modern states, Cimbri have what would be modern germany and denmark, arverni have france/gaul, galleci are almost done taking spain, and the Boii have most of the Danube regions, dacians have their respective areas...its very..umm..balanced, its scary...until that is Pergamon regains Seleucid glory
    Last edited by AspisPhalanx90; December 08, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    You could copy the Seleucid names, but you need to make sure there are no duplicates in the list (in descr_names.txt). Tedious business. Don't remove any without checking descr_strat.txt in the campaign you are working on, as you may get a CTD.

As for the unit you mentioned, yes, duplicate the texture and sprite setting in DMB from Seleucid for 'numidia'. Then add numidia to the ownership of the unit in EDU. Then put the unit in the 'greek_order' barracks which only numidia (Pergamon) uses.
    T make it all pretty and such, copy the unit cards (small and large) into the numidia folders from the seleucid folders.

Alternate history campaigns can be a lot of fun, actually. I've been working off and on (mostly off, lol) on an alternate history Roman campaign for RS2. In this particular scenario, the Romans lost the 2nd Punic War. Hannibal sacked Rome and left. Capua formed the 'Capuan Republic' and controls southern Italy. Carthage is happy to let the much weakened Rome duke it out with a more powerful Capuan state, so has went about it's business building an economic Empire. I think the scenario could be fun, because the lack of Roman influence has caused incredibly powerful Celtic states to arise in Europe...indeed, the whole face of the map is different because Rome had no power to interfere. Macedon has emerged as a powerful Empire bent on reclaiming what was Alexander's. Parthia has beaten the Seleucid's down to a few coastal regions. Macedon is at war with what remains of the Ptolemies, and has taken Alexandria. The year is around 30BC, and the Capuans have just taken Umbria from the Romans...defeating a Roman general who was betrayed by the Senate, and deceived into believing the Senate would provide support for the war in Umbria. But the Senate is afraid and more determined to pacify the Capuans, so they left their General hanging, and he lost. His name is Julius Ceasar....and he's pissed.
    can you post a screenie of that? macedon that invades ptolemy? PLEASE SCREENIE
    Roma Surrectum Fanatics. Click HERE to Join Us!!!
    Death is light as a feather, Duty heavier then a mountain

Patrician

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain well enough. This was only a work in process campaign. I'm nowhere near done with it.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Is the hidden_resource sel supposed to be all home seleucid territories? if so id like to add that to my seleucid units that im adding to pergamon to simulate the reclaimation of Seleucid lands (i tested with silvershields, seems to work...can recruit in Antioch but not Pergamon)

Also, is there a hardcode limit to the number of hidden resources available? i.e could i add "perg" to give the campaign in Anatolia pergamon styled troops, and in seleucid lands use "sel" to allow recruitment of seleucid units?
    Last edited by AspisPhalanx90; December 09, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Patrician

I believe we used 48 hidden_resources. You are allowed 64. And yes, 'sel' is an economic AOR for all the regions Seleucid starts with.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I believe we used 48 hidden_resources. You are allowed 64. And yes, 'sel' is an economic AOR for all the regions Seleucid starts with.
    excellent! now i can really work on this little alternate history project, and have it be fair.cant be considered "Seleucid" until i retake the home seleucid lands ...just gotta make sure i take it one unit at a time