Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: French Army Regimental Names

Vivat Imperator's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: French Army Regimental Names

How do people usually title their regiments? I'm quite anal about it and like it to be in the language of the faction and in perfect order according to separate corps (or marshals).
    JVSTITIA REGNORVM FVNDAMENTVM

Default Re: French Unit Names

POE, Amazing work! Thank you so much!! Wish could rep you again but I have to spread it around.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Yes, POE is really amazing. I thought my knowledge of the era was good, then I met POE and I had to revise my own appreciation.

Does anyone know of or have a link to a website that gives the exact strength of the French army during the height of the napoleonic wars? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by idkwidlol View Post
    Does anyone know of or have a link to a website that gives the exact strength of the French army during the height of the napoleonic wars? Thank you.
    I think that would be immensely difficult to do, and any figure a hisotrian came up with would need to carefully qualified by what exactly he was counting. For a start there is the difference between paper strength and actual establishment at any given time, then there is the question of where you draw the line between operational strength and nominal strength and which men you include (sick, reserves, militia, volunteers, invalids)

Does one count foriegn troops fighting for France?
    Do you include allies, or just troops included in the French Army?

Then there is the question of when was the height of the Napoleonic Wars, or indeed what are you including in the scope of the term, does one include the revolutionary period?

Francis Loraine Petre produced a series of books on the Napoleonic Wars which usually included a detailed analysis of the strengths and manpower available to all the nations involved, but many similar historical works only focus on the strength of the armies actively involved in the campaign or battle.

The biggest army that Napoleon ever fielded for a campaign would have to be that which he used to invade Russia in 1812, and logic would suggest that this probably meant that 1812 was the year that Napoleon had the most men under arms globally, but that depends on the relative strengths of other garrissons and armies in the same year. There were 600,000-720,000 French and allies involved in that campaign alone not including the French national guard and naval personnel. But Napoleon still had troops on the ground in Spain throughout that campaign which are not included in those totals, plus garrisons throughout europe and France, and allies in the USA etc.

A good internet resource is available here http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/

I'm using this list as help for building a wargaming army instead of NTW. I think I'm going insane after writing most of these names by hand.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234