Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: French Army Regimental Names

Default Re: French Army Regimental Names

Were there regiments raised in the French colonies? From New France?

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGratzner View Post
    Were there regiments raised in the French colonies? From New France?
    New France ceased to exist well before the Revolutionary Wars. The Treay of Paris ended the Seven Years' War withBritain receiving all lands east of the Mississippi, including Canada, Acadia, and parts of Louisiana, while Spain received the territory to the west – the larger portion of Louisiana. Spain returned its portion of Louisiana to France in 1800; Napoleon sold the territory to the USA.

As to "colonial units", France did raise a number during the Napoleonic Wars e.g. National Guard units in Martinique, Guadeloupe, Ile-de-France (Mauritius) & Reunion. There was a colonial Corps of Gendarmerie.

There were also a Chasseur de Reunion battalion; Chasseurs Voluntaires de la Martinique, Legion Colonial de Chasseurs (Santo Domingo).
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Thought I might share an action shot of my version of the Chassuers de la Reunion, formed by Charles Mathieu Isidore Decaen (13 April 1769 – 9 September 1832), Governor General of Pondicherry and Mauritius to fight the English.

Last edited by Pdguru; September 02, 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Thought I might share an action shot of my version of the Chassuers de la Reunion, formed by Charles Mathieu Isidore Decaen (13 April 1769 – 9 September 1832), Governor General of Pondicherry and Mauritius to fight the English.

Many thanks - superb rendition + Rep!
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Thank you, PoE.

Here is my rendition of the Batallion Valaisan:

Last edited by Pdguru; September 11, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Here are a couple of others - my versions of Neufchatel and Colonial battalions in action:

Note chinstrap variation:

In retreat...

Last edited by Pdguru; September 11, 2011 at 09:43 AM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Here are a couple of others - Neufchatel and Colonial battalions in action:
    Many thanks for sharing these & the Valaison. Excellent models as usual.
    Unfortunately I cannot give you any further Rep until I have spread some more around.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    Many thanks for sharing these & the Valaison. Excellent models as usual.
    Unfortunately I cannot give you any further Rep until I have spread some more around.

Thank you good sir. One more of the Colonial Batallion - one of my favorite uniforms:

Last edited by Pdguru; September 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz
    However, when it comes to the French Army of 1808 it is clear from Figures 17, 18 and 19 on pages 62 and 63 that he is showing the companies not the platoons as the maneouvring units of the battalion. More confusing still is the fact that according to these diagrams the presence of both flank companies is essential to completing the tactical formations depicted, even though we know that in practice these flank companies were frequently detached or massed into composite battalions.
    Chers amis,

I do not play N:TW and will never play it, for I really hate the way it is designed, researched, presented... but I see here some good quality posts concerning the period, with good questions. Unfortunatelly, I am afraid you will never be able to see any use of these problems with this game engine. Whatever, to the point...

As you know, the réglement du 1er août 1791 has not been replaced by another regulation untill 1831. That means you may find everything you need to understand the basic principles of the french infantry maneuvers in there. Plus you need several other texts that offer necessary adjustments of the system for the new organizations (1st amalgame, formation of the voltigeurs in 1804 and in 1805, and the 1808 reorganization are the most important ones - but none changed anything essential to the regulation of 1791 it-self).

The peloton is the peloton, the company is the company. There can be no confusion. Just compare their stuctures : the peloton is divided into two sections, and into ranks and files, and it's formed "par rang de taille", by height of the rank-and-file. It's commanded by the chef de peloton, who normally is the captain, and he is also the chef of the 1st section. The lieutenant commands the 2nd section, and the sous-lieutenant is just a file-closer behind the 1st section.

The company is formed also by two sections, or demi-compagnies, but these are not formed by height of the men, are they. There also is a further division into "subdivisions" and "escouades", that you will never find in the order of battle of a formed battalion. The company is commanded by the captain, but it's 1st section is commanded by the lieutenant and it's 2nd section by the sous-lieutenant. Even the NCO's do command their subdivisions (sergents) and their escouades (caporaux); they are guides, file-closers or rank-and-file in the peloton.

And if you add the necessity to equalize the frontage of the pelotons, by transfer of files from the strong pelotons to the weak pelotons, which means you will usually have men of different companies in the same peloton, you clearly see that a peloton is a very different thing from a company. Which does not prevent some officers to say "company" when they mean "peloton" in their repports, in their orders, in their memoirs ...from where the potential confusion may rise today.

I have never seen those "flank companies" in any contemporary source. I believe this "T" formation, this "T" attack column is a pure non-sens that might perhaps been proposed by a theoretician, but was never used nor seriously studied. Neither it appears in the 1831 ordonnance. Already the principles of marching and changing direction would not work here, the deployment of such a formation would be quite complicated, and first of all... it is useless... if you maneuver or charge, do it in column, if you fire, deploy. It is as simple as it is. Those who look for a universal formation will allways fail.

Among the texts you might find interesting, and that are essential, are the following (I suppose you speak/read french) :

http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...8&main_id=105& (Colin, Tactique et Discipline dans les Armées de la Révolution)

http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...9&main_id=105& (first part of Schauenbourg)

http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...1&main_id=105& (Davout's instruction on squares)

http://www.demi-brigade.org/tirdavfr.htm (Davout's instruction on skirmishers)

Manuel d'infanterie, édition 1808, is downloadable here : http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...d=105&relLeadP[cws_article_list_img]=&_relOrderType[cws_article_list_img]=&myRelsstr[cws_article_list_img]=&f[cws_article_list_img]=6&

Edition 1813 is on the Gallica + you may find many other links in my electronic edition of Colin on the austerlitz.org site.

And here is an excellent introduction, the second study of Colin on the french infantry tactics: http://pfef.free.fr/Anc_Reg/Art_Mili...ique_Table.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Prince d'Essling
    But according to Colonel H C B Rogers "Napoleon's Army" page 70 "…battalion columns could be either by division (double companies) or by platoons (single companies)."
    General Renard's 1857 book on "Infantry Tactics" shows French 6 company battalions with 4 company squares
    An answer to this is the best given by the Article 7 of the decree of 18 february 1808 :

Article 7

Quand les six compagnies seront présentes au bataillon, on défilera et l'on agira toujours par division.
    Quand les grenadiers et voltigeurs seront absents du bataillon, on manœuvrera et défilera toujours par peloton.
    Deux compagnies formeront une division; chaque compagnie formera un peloton; chaque demi-compagnie une section.

There are two important things to say : it is given that a battalion without it's elite companies, a battalion of 4 pelotons, won't maneuver par division ; however, a battalion of 6 peloton may easily maneuver par peloton if necessary or appropriate. A demi-compagnie is an administrative section, but the administrative section may not form a section of the peloton... it's just a mistake of this decree, and nothing was changed on the 1791 system in this. We may see the 1791 principles applied for example in the Tableaux synoptiques des manoeuvres d'infanterie published after 1810, most probably by Bardin him-self. The "rang de taille" still aplies to the entire peloton.

A battalion of 4 pelotons may, obviously, form a square. Either "carré perpendiculaire à la ligne" or "carré parallèle à la ligne"; both pass by the colonne par peloton à distance de section and are formed by the command "par section de droite et de gauche en bataille" executed in the 2nd and 3rd peloton. The principle is the same for 6 peloton, but the battalion would rather be formed par division, and the command would be "par peloton de droite et de gauche en bataille", executed by the 2nd division.

The problem is that N:TW offers us many things, grenadiers throwing grenades, a dimond formation for the cavalry, infantry in "colonnes à la Folard", percussion lock, even ironclads, but it totally ignores the real principles of formation and maneuvers of the infantry, of the cavalry and of the artillery of the napoleonic wars.
    Last edited by Adjudant-Major; September 17, 2011 at 05:23 PM.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Adjudant-Major: My weak French langauge skills mean a lot of your thoughtful post is lost on me I'm afraid. Yet, it's a pity that, as someone who is clearly a student and fan of the period, you refuse to play (and indeed you "hate" the design of) NTW, and it's suprising that you take time to post on a site which, on the whole is for people who enjoy and want to improve the game. Most specifically, the problems you list in your last paragraph, and many others which address problems with the original 'vanilla' game have all been dealt with by most of the mods on this site. I would encourage you to give it a chance, and perhaps turn your research skills into ones that will help us all create mods which gradually improve the realism of the best and most beautiful simulation of the period to date.
    Last edited by Pdguru; September 17, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Adjudant-Major View Post
    Chers amis,

I do not play N:TW and will never play it, for I really hate the way it is designed, researched, presented... but I see here some good quality posts concerning the period, with good questions. Unfortunatelly, I am afraid you will never be able to see any use of these problems with this game engine. Whatever, to the point...

As you know, the réglement du 1er août 1791 has not been replaced by another regulation untill 1831. That means you may find everything you need to understand the basic principles of the french infantry maneuvers in there. Plus you need several other texts that offer necessary adjustments of the system for the new organizations (1st amalgame, formation of the voltigeurs in 1804 and in 1805, and the 1808 reorganization are the most important ones - but none changed anything essential to the regulation of 1791 it-self).

The peloton is the peloton, the company is the company. There can be no confusion. Just compare their stuctures : the peloton is divided into two sections, and into ranks and files, and it's formed "par rang de taille", by height of the rank-and-file. It's commanded by the chef de peloton, who normally is the captain, and he is also the chef of the 1st section. The lieutenant commands the 2nd section, and the sous-lieutenant is just a file-closer behind the 1st section.

The company is formed also by two sections, or demi-compagnies, but these are not formed by height of the men, are they. There also is a further division into "subdivisions" and "escouades", that you will never find in the order of battle of a formed battalion. The company is commanded by the captain, but it's 1st section is commanded by the lieutenant and it's 2nd section by the sous-lieutenant. Even the NCO's do command their subdivisions (sergents) and their escouades (caporaux); they are guides, file-closers or rank-and-file in the peloton.

And if you add the necessity to equalize the frontage of the pelotons, by transfer of files from the strong pelotons to the weak pelotons, which means you will usually have men of different companies in the same peloton, you clearly see that a peloton is a very different thing from a company. Which does not prevent some officers to say "company" when they mean "peloton" in their repports, in their orders, in their memoirs ...from where the potential confusion may rise today.

I have never seen those "flank companies" in any contemporary source. I believe this "T" formation, this "T" attack column is a pure non-sens that might perhaps been proposed by a theoretician, but was never used nor seriously studied. Neither it appears in the 1831 ordonnance. Already the principles of marching and changing direction would not work here, the deployment of such a formation would be quite complicated, and first of all... it is useless... if you maneuver or charge, do it in column, if you fire, deploy. It is as simple as it is. Those who look for a universal formation will allways fail.

Among the texts you might find interesting, and that are essential, are the following (I suppose you speak/read french) :

http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...8&main_id=105& (Colin, Tactique et Discipline dans les Armées de la Révolution)

http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...9&main_id=105& (first part of Schauenbourg)

http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...1&main_id=105& (Davout's instruction on squares)

http://www.demi-brigade.org/tirdavfr.htm (Davout's instruction on skirmishers)

Manuel d'infanterie, édition 1808, is downloadable here : http://www.austerlitz.org/index.php?...d=105&relLeadP[cws_article_list_img]=&_relOrderType[cws_article_list_img]=&myRelsstr[cws_article_list_img]=&f[cws_article_list_img]=6&

Edition 1813 is on the Gallica + you may find many other links in my electronic edition of Colin on the austerlitz.org site.

And here is an excellent introduction, the second study of Colin on the french infantry tactics: http://pfef.free.fr/Anc_Reg/Art_Mili...ique_Table.htm

An answer to this is the best given by the Article 7 of the decree of 18 february 1808 :

Article 7

Quand les six compagnies seront présentes au bataillon, on défilera et l'on agira toujours par division.
    Quand les grenadiers et voltigeurs seront absents du bataillon, on manœuvrera et défilera toujours par peloton.
    Deux compagnies formeront une division; chaque compagnie formera un peloton; chaque demi-compagnie une section.

There are two important things to say : it is given that a battalion without it's elite companies, a battalion of 4 pelotons, won't maneuver par division ; however, a battalion of 6 peloton may easily maneuver par peloton if necessary or appropriate. A demi-compagnie is an administrative section, but the administrative section may not form a section of the peloton... it's just a mistake of this decree, and nothing was changed on the 1791 system in this. We may see the 1791 principles applied for example in the Tableaux synoptiques des manoeuvres d'infanterie published after 1810, most probably by Bardin him-self. The "rang de taille" still aplies to the entire peloton.

A battalion of 4 pelotons may, obviously, form a square. Either "carré perpendiculaire à la ligne" or "carré parallèle à la ligne"; both pass by the colonne par peloton à distance de section and are formed by the command "par section de droite et de gauche en bataille" executed in the 2nd and 3rd peloton. The principle is the same for 6 peloton, but the battalion would rather be formed par division, and the command would be "par peloton de droite et de gauche en bataille", executed by the 2nd division.

The problem is that N:TW offers us many things, grenadiers throwing grenades, a dimond formation for the cavalry, infantry in "colonnes à la Folard", percussion lock, even ironclads, but it totally ignores the real principles of formation and maneuvers of the infantry, of the cavalry and of the artillery of the napoleonic wars.
    Many thanks for your very helpful clarifications... As you rightly say the various texts can and have lead to some confusion, which hopefully have now all disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdguru
    it's suprising that you take time to post
    perhaps I will change my mind one day when I'll see a mod offering some important improvements making the game "really realistic". But I don't want to fall off topic here. I kind of like the aims of the Napoleonic Total War for N:TW... let's see.

I noticed that Prince of Essling included many foreign units in French service. Think that you could include few more regimental names for Polish units. I can add some information about these Polish units in French service. If you like you can use it on your list of regimental names. It could be interesting, because during French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars there were so many Polish units which were formed, reorganised and renamed so many times. There were many Polish units in direct French or their allies services. There also were several regiments recruited in Polish origin in Austrian, Prussian and Russian armies. This was long and hard story about all these Polish units at that period. Here I put some names of Polish units in French service.

Polish Legions in Italy (1797-1807) Polish general Jan Henryk Dabrowski organized several auxiliary troops recruited with Polish in origin soldiers which fought in French service. There were many volunteers, émigré, patriots, deserters and prisoners of wars captured from Austrian and Russian armies.

Polish wanted to create Polish units in France which could fought together with French against their enemies Austrian, Prussian and Russian. However Revolutionary French Constitution did not allow to create foreign troops in French Army, therefore French Government Directors suggested to create Polish units in nominal service in few Italian city states as like Milan, Bologna and Ferrara.

In December 1796 General Bonaparte allow to create first Polish auxiliary infantry battalion. Initially for political and financial reasons these Polish Legionaries were in nominal service of new created Republic of Lombardy, then Republic of Cisalpine, but in reality they serviced for French.

This first Polish Legion infantry battalion had 1,100 men in January 1797, but Polish troops rapidly grow in strength and in early spring 1797 Polish Legions consisted of 1 grenadier battalion, 1 chasseur battalion and 4 fusilier battalions. In May Bonaparte ordered to split them into two Legions each with three battalions. Each Battalion had 10 companies: 1 grenadier, 1 chasseur, 8 fusilier. Company had theoretical 123 men. There also were three artillery companies which were incorporated into Italic Artillery Regiment. In summer all Polish Legions in Italy had 5,882 men

Pierwszy Legion Polski Posiłkowy Lombardii - First Polish Auxiliary Legion of Lombardy created in 1797 went to Rome in May 1798. There Polish helped form new Italic troops which serviced in new created Republic of Rome. Then Polish Legionaries fought with Neapolitans invaders at Civita Castelana, Calvi, Terracina, and Gaeta in 1798/99. After that, First Polish Legion fought hard in North Italy at Trebbia and Novi in 1799.

Drugi Legion Polski Posiłkowy Lombardii - Second Polish Auxiliary Legion of Lombardy created in 1797 fought in North Italy e.g. at Verona, Magnano, Mantua in 1799. This unit were virtually destroyed during this campaign. Many Polish were killed, wounded or taken as POWs, mainly in surrounded Mantua. Then many treated badly as Austrian deserters were shackled, flogged and forced to service in Austrian regiments. Only few hundreds soldiers can withdraw together with French and Polish officers went to Gratz as POWs and then they can get back to France.

Both Polish Legions suffered heavy casualties in these campaigns and they must withdraw to Marseilles where in early 1800 were gathered only 2,000 men from 8,000 which fought in Italy. General Dabrowski soon recreated Polish Legion and there were c.a. 6,000 men in 1801.

Polish Legionary Cavalry Regiment - in new created Partenopean (Neapolitan) Republic, Polish Legionaries formed cavalry regiment, later also known as Vistula Uhlans. These unit changed name and organisation many times, but existed from 1798 to 1815. It was excellent light cavalry regiment which distinguished themselves many, many times. Here you can read more information http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Polish_Vistula_Uhlans.html

Legion Naddunajski - Danube Legion (1799-1801) - in autumn 1799 in Pfalzbourg, Metz, and Strasburg were formed next Polish Legion named as Danube Legion which consisted of 4 infantry battalions, 4 cavalry squadrons and 1 horse artillery company. These cavalry squadrons were that Polish cavalry regiment formed in Italy. Danube Legion in total had 5,970 men commanded by general Karol Kniaziewicz, which earlier distinguished in Neapolitan Campaign in Italy. These Polish Legionary fought very well at Kehl, Philipsbourg and Hohenlinden in 1800.

After Treaty of Luneville, Danube Legion went to Italy, where still were general Dabrowski and his Polish Legions. Bonaparte intend gave Polish soldiers into service in Etruria ruled by Spanish Bourbons. Many Polish officers resigned in protest that they can not fight for Poland.

Three demi brigades (1801-1805)
    Polish Legions in Italy were transferred into three demi brigades late in the year 1801. After that these two on French service 113rd and 114th demi brigades c.a. 6,000 men were sent to San Domingo – Haiti in 1802 and in 1803. It was disastrous expedition and there many French and Poles dead, mainly from diseases, yellow fiver and combats. Several Poles were taken POWs, and these were later partly took into British 63rd Foreign Infantry Regiment. Only several hundreds get back to France, other several emigrated to USA, Cuba and Jamaica or stayed in Haiti.

Polish Infantry Regiment - La Legion Polacco-Italienne (1801-1807)
    Polish Legionaries which stayed in Italy were reformed few times. In 1801 they formed three demi brigades, and one cavalry regiment. Then two demi brigades were sent to Haiti and these were destroyed while third demi brigade became Polish Infantry Regiment in 1803. This unit also was known as La Legion Polacco-Italienne, however there were mainly Polish and only few Italians. These Polish Legionaries fought with British in Apulia and Calabria in 1803 and in 1806, and with Austrians at Battle of Castelfranco in 1805. When Napoleon made his brother Josef as King of Naples, he ordered Polish Legionary Infantry and Cavalry regiments went into Neapolitan service. Then they were ordered to get back to Poland in 1807.

Legion Nadwiślański - Legion de la Vistula (1807-1814)

1-szy Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 1st Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1807
    2-gi Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 2nd Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1807
    3-ci Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 3rd Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1807
    4-ty Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 4th Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1810
    Nadwiślański Pułk Kawalerii - Cavalry Regiment (Vistula Uhlans)–raised in Italy in 1798
    French 7th and 8th Cheavaulege Lancer Regiments - from 1811 till 1814/1815.
    Two foot artillery batteries

Legion Polacco-Italiene went to Silesia and there in the summer 1807 was strengthened with new Polish recruits and in 1808 was reorganized into Legion de la Vistula which consisted of 3 infantry regiments and 1 cavalry regiment.

Soon Vistula Uhlans regiment were separated from infantry, and Vistula Legionaries went to Germany in nominal service Jerome Bonaparte and new created Kingdom of Westphalia. Soon all these Polish Vistula Legionaries, infantry and cavalry units were taken into French service and were sent to Spain in 1808. Here they distinguished themselves many times e.g. Saragossa, Talavera, Oceana, Albuera and many, many other battles.

Vistula Uhlans were reorganised in two cavalry regiments named as 1st and 2nd Regiment de Lanciers de la Vistule in 1811, but soon they were renamed to French 7th and 8th Cheavau-leges Lanciers Regiments from 1811 till 1814.

There were also formed 4th Vistula Infantry Regiment raised in February 1810 and composed of Polish who deserted from Austrian army. Additionally there exist two Foot Artillery batteries too.

During Russia campaign in 1812 three Vistula Infantry Regiments and one Vistula Uhlan half squadron from 7th Lancer were detached to French Imperial Guard, while 8th Lancer Regiment was in French II Corps. Other two squadrons 7th Lancers still were in Spain and in France in Bayonne at that time. 4th Vistula Infantry Regiment were in Spain then get back to Poland that year.

After disastrous Russia campaign all these 4 Vistula infantry regiments were merged in one Vistula Regiment in 1813.

Legion du Nord - Legion Północny (1806-1807)
    In 1806 Napoleon ordered to form two Legions du Nord, but only one was fully formed. Mainly it were Polish POWs, past Prussian soldiers. This unit had c.a. 2,500 men and fought in Marshal Lefebvre X Corps e.g. during siege of Gdansk in 1807. Later they were transferred into 5th Infantry Regiment in Duchy of Warsaw army.

Polish units in French service in 1807
    Napoleon planned offensive on territories which Prussia annexed during Poland partitions. Therefore in November 1806 Emperor ordered General Dąbrowski to get back from Italy and form new Polish units. In October French arrived to Poland and Polish national movement, called sometime as uprising was ready and soon many Polish units were created. There were many nobles honour and national guards, and many recruits which formed new units.

General Jan Henryk Dądrowski organized in Posen and few other Polish towns in Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) 4 infantry regiments.

General Jozef Zajączek, which earlier took part in Napoleon’s Egyptian Campaign, now organized in Kalisz department next 4 infantry regiments.

In December 1806 Princ Jozef Antoni Poniatowski started organising next units in Warsaw.

Nobles also were called into levee in mass and soon these troops were reorganised as national cavalry regiment and few regular cavalry regiments named Pułk kawalerii – also known as ułani (uhlans) and strzelcy konni (chasseurs-a-cheval).

Komisja Rządząca planed to form 3 Polish Legions each consisted of 4 infantry regiments, 2 cavalry regiments (1 uhlan and 1 chasseue-a-cheaval), 1 artillery battalion and 1 sappers battalion.

In January 1807 Napoleon ordered that already formed first battalions from these 4 infantry regiments of Posen Division should form Infantry Brigade. Next Infantry Brigade formed next 4 infantry battalions from Kalisz Division. These two infantry brigades, and attached two cavalry regiments, and 1 artillery company formed combined Polish Division under command of General Dabrowski c.a. 6,400 men. This division fought in Marshal Lefebvre X Corps at Gniew, Tczew, Gdansk and part at Friedland 1807. One Infantry Regiment from this division took part in siege of Kolberg.

Next 4 infantry battalions from Posen and Kalisz, ready to duty few weeks later, formed next Polish combined Division under command of General Zajączek andwere sent to siege of Grudziadz.

Warsaw Division under Prince Poniatowski was not ready to frontier actions yet and were garrisoned up to the end of campaign 1807.

This way Polish mobilised many units which had 23,000 in January 1807. They still grow up and there were organised next troops which in total had c.a. 40,000 men formed during that campaign.

These units were reorganized in three Legions in Posen, Kalisz and Warsaw, each included infantry division, with 4 infantry, 2 cavalry regiments, 1 artillery battalion, 1 sapper battalion.

After Treaty of Tilsit 1807 these units were again reorganised as Woysko Polskie Księstwa Warszawskiego - Duchy of Warsaw Army which had c.a. 30,000 men.

There were 12 infantry regiments, numbered 1st-12th.
    3 chasseur-a-cheval regiments, numbered 1st, 4th, 5th,
    3 uhlan regiments, numbered 2nd, 3rd, 6th,
    3 artillery battalions

In the summer 1808 Duchy of Warsaw gave to French service and on French payment Polish 4th, 7th and 9th Infantry Regiments, one sapper company and one artillery company. In the end 1808 this Duchy of Warsaw Division was sent to Spain, where these Polish Infantry regiments fought in many battles in 1808-1812 e.g. at Oceana, Almonacid, Fuengirola. Later they went to Russia campaign.

Many Polish units in French service also were garrisoned in several places at that time:
    * 5th Infantry Regiment, past Legion du Nord in Kustrin,
    * 10th Infantry Regiment garrisoned in Stettin, then in Gdansk,
    * 11th Infantry Regiment garrisoned in Gdansk,
    * 4th Cavalry Chasseur Regiment was allocated in Stettin, Stralsund, Glogau, Kustrin,
    * horse artillery company garrisoned in Gdansk,

During campaign 1809 in Poland were formed many new units. Part of them were already infantry and cavalry regiments in Duchy of Warsaw army and part it were regiments formed as Franco-Galician units. Under this name were formed 6 infantry regiments, 6 uhlan regiments, 2 hussar regiments and 1 cuirassier regiment.

These units later were reorganised and became 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th infantry regiments and 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 15th uhlans and 13th, 10th hussar, and 14th cuirassier regiments in Duchy of Warsaw army.

Then Fryderik August King of Saxony and nominal ruler in Duchy of Warsaw ordered on decree March 20, 1810 that these army consisted of:
    * 17 infantry regiments, numbered 1st-17th,
    * 16 cavalry regiments, numbered as fallow
    1st, 4th, 5th, chasseur-a-cheval, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 15,th 16th uhlans, 10th,13th hussar, 14th cuirassier
    * foot artillery regiment
    * horse artillery regiment
    * sapper battalion
    In total c.a. 60,000 men

In Russia Campaign in 1812 Polish strengthened their infantry regiments and formed many new units and it was c.a.100,000 men. They created entire V Corps as well as serviced in few other French Corps and Imperial Guard too.

New units formed in Lithuania
    - 18th,19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd infantry regiments
    - Pułk strzelców pieszych Foot Chasseur Regiment
    - 2 battalions National Guard
    - 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th Uhlans regiments
    - Pułk Strzelców konnych - Chasseur-a-cheval Regiment
    - Pułk Huzarów - Hussar Regiment – it is not clear that this unit was fully formed
    - Pułk Tatarów Litewskich – this unit was not fully formed and later remained Tatar squadron was transferred to 1 st Cheavauleger Lancer Regiment of French Imperial Guard

After disastrous Russain Campaign many Polish Regiments were reorganized and fought in many places in next campaigns in Poland, Germany and France 1813-1814.

Few famouse Polish units in French service:

1st Vistula Uhlan Regiment (1808-1815) this unit was raised in 1798 in Italy and later were known under different names and in 1808 became Vistula Uhlans. Then changed again their names few timesandin June 1811 became 7th French Chevauleger Lancer Regiment.
    2nd Vistula Uhlan Regiment (1811-1814) raised in 1811and in June this year became French 8th Chevauleger Lancer Regiment

1st Polish Chevauleger Regiment in Imperial Guard (1807-1814). This unit changed their organisation into Guard Lancer regiment in the end 1810 and consisted of several squadrons.
    3-rd Polish Cheavauleger Regiment – formedin 1812 and destroyed at Slonim that year.
    Here some more information about Polish Guard Lancers
    http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Polish_Guard_Lancers.html

Guard Polish Grenadier battalion in 1813

Maybe I put here too many information, but it can clear long and hard story of Polish units inn French service.
    You already included many of these units, but few was forgoten or not well showed. Think that you can take these names on you list of regimental names.
    Last edited by exNowy; September 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by exNowy View Post
    I noticed that Prince of Essling included many foreign units in French service. Think that you could include few more regimental names for Polish units. I can add some information about these Polish units in French service. If you like you can use it on your list of regimental names. It could be interesting, because during French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars there were so many Polish units which were formed, reorganised and renamed so many times. There were many Polish units in direct French or their allies services. There also were several regiments recruited in Polish origin in Austrian, Prussian and Russian armies. This was long and hard story about all these Polish units at that period. Here I put some names of Polish units in French service.

Polish Legions in Italy (1797-1807) Polish general Jan Henryk Dabrowski organized several auxiliary troops recruited with Polish in origin soldiers which fought in French service. There were many volunteers, émigré, patriots, deserters and prisoners of wars captured from Austrian and Russian armies.

Polish wanted to create Polish units in France which could fought together with French against their enemies Austrian, Prussian and Russian. However Revolutionary French Constitution did not allow to create foreign troops in French Army, therefore French Government Directors suggested to create Polish units in nominal service in few Italian city states as like Milan, Bologna and Ferrara.

In December 1796 General Bonaparte allow to create first Polish auxiliary infantry battalion. Initially for political and financial reasons these Polish Legionaries were in nominal service of new created Republic of Lombardy, then Republic of Cisalpine, but in reality they serviced for French.

This first Polish Legion infantry battalion had 1,100 men in January 1797, but Polish troops rapidly grow in strength and in early spring 1797 Polish Legions consisted of 1 grenadier battalion, 1 chasseur battalion and 4 fusilier battalions. In May Bonaparte ordered to split them into two Legions each with three battalions. Each Battalion had 10 companies: 1 grenadier, 1 chasseur, 8 fusilier. Company had theoretical 123 men. There also were three artillery companies which were incorporated into Italic Artillery Regiment. In summer all Polish Legions in Italy had 5,882 men

Pierwszy Legion Polski Posiłkowy Lombardii - First Polish Auxiliary Legion of Lombardy created in 1797 went to Rome in May 1798. There Polish helped form new Italic troops which serviced in new created Republic of Rome. Then Polish Legionaries fought with Neapolitans invaders at Civita Castelana, Calvi, Terracina, and Gaeta in 1798/99. After that, First Polish Legion fought hard in North Italy at Trebbia and Novi in 1799.

Drugi Legion Polski Posiłkowy Lombardii - Second Polish Auxiliary Legion of Lombardy created in 1797 fought in North Italy e.g. at Verona, Magnano, Mantua in 1799. This unit were virtually destroyed during this campaign. Many Polish were killed, wounded or taken as POWs, mainly in surrounded Mantua. Then many treated badly as Austrian deserters were shackled, flogged and forced to service in Austrian regiments. Only few hundreds soldiers can withdraw together with French and Polish officers went to Gratz as POWs and then they can get back to France.

Both Polish Legions suffered heavy casualties in these campaigns and they must withdraw to Marseilles where in early 1800 were gathered only 2,000 men from 8,000 which fought in Italy. General Dabrowski soon recreated Polish Legion and there were c.a. 6,000 men in 1801.

Polish Legionary Cavalry Regiment - in new created Partenopean (Neapolitan) Republic, Polish Legionaries formed cavalry regiment, later also known as Vistula Uhlans. These unit changed name and organisation many times, but existed from 1798 to 1815. It was excellent light cavalry regiment which distinguished themselves many, many times. Here you can read more information http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Polish_Vistula_Uhlans.html

Legion Naddunajski - Danube Legion (1799-1801) - in autumn 1799 in Pfalzbourg, Metz, and Strasburg were formed next Polish Legion named as Danube Legion which consisted of 4 infantry battalions, 4 cavalry squadrons and 1 horse artillery company. These cavalry squadrons were that Polish cavalry regiment formed in Italy. Danube Legion in total had 5,970 men commanded by general Karol Kniaziewicz, which earlier distinguished in Neapolitan Campaign in Italy. These Polish Legionary fought very well at Kehl, Philipsbourg and Hohenlinden in 1800.

After Treaty of Luneville, Danube Legion went to Italy, where still were general Dabrowski and his Polish Legions. Bonaparte intend gave Polish soldiers into service in Etruria ruled by Spanish Bourbons. Many Polish officers resigned in protest that they can not fight for Poland.

Three demi brigades (1801-1805)
    Polish Legions in Italy were transferred into three demi brigades late in the year 1801. After that these two on French service 113rd and 114th demi brigades c.a. 6,000 men were sent to San Domingo – Haiti in 1802 and in 1803. It was disastrous expedition and there many French and Poles dead, mainly from diseases, yellow fiver and combats. Several Poles were taken POWs, and these were later partly took into British 63rd Foreign Infantry Regiment. Only several hundreds get back to France, other several emigrated to USA, Cuba and Jamaica or stayed in Haiti.

Polish Infantry Regiment - La Legion Polacco-Italienne (1801-1807)
    Polish Legionaries which stayed in Italy were reformed few times. In 1801 they formed three demi brigades, and one cavalry regiment. Then two demi brigades were sent to Haiti and these were destroyed while third demi brigade became Polish Infantry Regiment in 1803. This unit also was known as La Legion Polacco-Italienne, however there were mainly Polish and only few Italians. These Polish Legionaries fought with British in Apulia and Calabria in 1803 and in 1806, and with Austrians at Battle of Castelfranco in 1805. When Napoleon made his brother Josef as King of Naples, he ordered Polish Legionary Infantry and Cavalry regiments went into Neapolitan service. Then they were ordered to get back to Poland in 1807.

Legion Nadwiślański - Legion de la Vistula (1807-1814)

1-szy Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 1st Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1807
    2-gi Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 2nd Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1807
    3-ci Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 3rd Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1807
    4-ty Pułk Legionów Nadwiślańskich – 4th Vistula Infantry Regiment – raised in 1810
    Nadwiślański Pułk Kawalerii - Cavalry Regiment (Vistula Uhlans)–raised in Italy in 1798
    French 7th and 8th Cheavaulege Lancer Regiments - from 1811 till 1814/1815.
    Two foot artillery batteries

Legion Polacco-Italiene went to Silesia and there in the summer 1807 was strengthened with new Polish recruits and in 1808 was reorganized into Legion de la Vistula which consisted of 3 infantry regiments and 1 cavalry regiment.

Soon Vistula Uhlans regiment were separated from infantry, and Vistula Legionaries went to Germany in nominal service Jerome Bonaparte and new created Kingdom of Westphalia. Soon all these Polish Vistula Legionaries, infantry and cavalry units were taken into French service and were sent to Spain in 1808. Here they distinguished themselves many times e.g. Saragossa, Talavera, Oceana, Albuera and many, many other battles.

Vistula Uhlans were reorganised in two cavalry regiments named as 1st and 2nd Regiment de Lanciers de la Vistule in 1811, but soon they were renamed to French 7th and 8th Cheavau-leges Lanciers Regiments from 1811 till 1814.

There were also formed 4th Vistula Infantry Regiment raised in February 1810 and composed of Polish who deserted from Austrian army. Additionally there exist two Foot Artillery batteries too.

During Russia campaign in 1812 three Vistula Infantry Regiments and one Vistula Uhlan half squadron from 7th Lancer were detached to French Imperial Guard, while 8th Lancer Regiment was in French II Corps. Other two squadrons 7th Lancers still were in Spain and in France in Bayonne at that time. 4th Vistula Infantry Regiment were in Spain then get back to Poland that year.

After disastrous Russia campaign all these 4 Vistula infantry regiments were merged in one Vistula Regiment in 1813.

Legion du Nord - Legion Północny (1806-1807)
    In 1806 Napoleon ordered to form two Legions du Nord, but only one was fully formed. Mainly it were Polish POWs, past Prussian soldiers. This unit had c.a. 2,500 men and fought in Marshal Lefebvre X Corps e.g. during siege of Gdansk in 1807. Later they were transferred into 5th Infantry Regiment in Duchy of Warsaw army.

Polish units in French service in 1807
    Napoleon planned offensive on territories which Prussia annexed during Poland partitions. Therefore in November 1806 Emperor ordered General Dąbrowski to get back from Italy and form new Polish units. In October French arrived to Poland and Polish national movement, called sometime as uprising was ready and soon many Polish units were created. There were many nobles honour and national guards, and many recruits which formed new units.

General Jan Henryk Dądrowski organized in Posen and few other Polish towns in Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) 4 infantry regiments.

General Jozef Zajączek, which earlier took part in Napoleon’s Egyptian Campaign, now organized in Kalisz department next 4 infantry regiments.

In December 1806 Princ Jozef Antoni Poniatowski started organising next units in Warsaw.

Nobles also were called into levee in mass and soon these troops were reorganised as national cavalry regiment and few regular cavalry regiments named Pułk kawalerii – also known as ułani (uhlans) and strzelcy konni (chasseurs-a-cheval).

Komisja Rządząca planed to form 3 Polish Legions each consisted of 4 infantry regiments, 2 cavalry regiments (1 uhlan and 1 chasseue-a-cheaval), 1 artillery battalion and 1 sappers battalion.

In January 1807 Napoleon ordered that already formed first battalions from these 4 infantry regiments of Posen Division should form Infantry Brigade. Next Infantry Brigade formed next 4 infantry battalions from Kalisz Division. These two infantry brigades, and attached two cavalry regiments, and 1 artillery company formed combined Polish Division under command of General Dabrowski c.a. 6,400 men. This division fought in Marshal Lefebvre X Corps at Gniew, Tczew, Gdansk and part at Friedland 1807. One Infantry Regiment from this division took part in siege of Kolberg.

Next 4 infantry battalions from Posen and Kalisz, ready to duty few weeks later, formed next Polish combined Division under command of General Zajączek andwere sent to siege of Grudziadz.

Warsaw Division under Prince Poniatowski was not ready to frontier actions yet and were garrisoned up to the end of campaign 1807.

This way Polish mobilised many units which had 23,000 in January 1807. They still grow up and there were organised next troops which in total had c.a. 40,000 men formed during that campaign.

These units were reorganized in three Legions in Posen, Kalisz and Warsaw, each included infantry division, with 4 infantry, 2 cavalry regiments, 1 artillery battalion, 1 sapper battalion.

After Treaty of Tilsit 1807 these units were again reorganised as Woysko Polskie Księstwa Warszawskiego - Duchy of Warsaw Army which had c.a. 30,000 men.

There were 12 infantry regiments, numbered 1st-12th.
    3 chasseur-a-cheval regiments, numbered 1st, 4th, 5th,
    3 uhlan regiments, numbered 2nd, 3rd, 6th,
    3 artillery battalions

In the summer 1808 Duchy of Warsaw gave to French service and on French payment Polish 4th, 7th and 9th Infantry Regiments, one sapper company and one artillery company. In the end 1808 this Duchy of Warsaw Division was sent to Spain, where these Polish Infantry regiments fought in many battles in 1808-1812 e.g. at Oceana, Almonacid, Fuengirola. Later they went to Russia campaign.

Many Polish units in French service also were garrisoned in several places at that time:
    * 5th Infantry Regiment, past Legion du Nord in Kustrin,
    * 10th Infantry Regiment garrisoned in Stettin, then in Gdansk,
    * 11th Infantry Regiment garrisoned in Gdansk,
    * 4th Cavalry Chasseur Regiment was allocated in Stettin, Stralsund, Glogau, Kustrin,
    * horse artillery company garrisoned in Gdansk,

During campaign 1809 in Poland were formed many new units. Part of them were already infantry and cavalry regiments in Duchy of Warsaw army and part it were regiments formed as Franco-Galician units. Under this name were formed 6 infantry regiments, 6 uhlan regiments, 2 hussar regiments and 1 cuirassier regiment.

These units later were reorganised and became 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th infantry regiments and 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 15th uhlans and 13th, 10th hussar, and 14th cuirassier regiments in Duchy of Warsaw army.

Then Fryderik August King of Saxony and nominal ruler in Duchy of Warsaw ordered on decree March 20, 1810 that these army consisted of:
    * 17 infantry regiments, numbered 1st-17th,
    * 16 cavalry regiments, numbered as fallow
    1st, 4th, 5th, chasseur-a-cheval, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 15,th 16th uhlans, 10th,13th hussar, 14th cuirassier
    * foot artillery regiment
    * horse artillery regiment
    * sapper battalion
    In total c.a. 60,000 men

In Russia Campaign in 1812 Polish strengthened their infantry regiments and formed many new units and it was c.a.100,000 men. They created entire V Corps as well as serviced in few other French Corps and Imperial Guard too.

New units formed in Lithuania
    - 18th,19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd infantry regiments
    - Pułk strzelców pieszych Foot Chasseur Regiment
    - 2 battalions National Guard
    - 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th Uhlans regiments
    - Pułk Strzelców konnych - Chasseur-a-cheval Regiment
    - Pułk Huzarów - Hussar Regiment – it is not clear that this unit was fully formed
    - Pułk Tatarów Litewskich – this unit was not fully formed and later remained Tatar squadron was transferred to 1 st Cheavauleger Lancer Regiment of French Imperial Guard

After disastrous Russain Campaign many Polish Regiments were reorganized and fought in many places in next campaigns in Poland, Germany and France 1813-1814.

Few famouse Polish units in French service:

1st Vistula Uhlan Regiment (1808-1815) this unit was raised in 1798 in Italy and later were known under different names and in 1808 became Vistula Uhlans. Then changed again their names few timesandin June 1811 became 7th French Chevauleger Lancer Regiment.
    2nd Vistula Uhlan Regiment (1811-1814) raised in 1811and in June this year became French 8th Chevauleger Lancer Regiment

1st Polish Chevauleger Regiment in Imperial Guard (1807-1814). This unit changed their organisation into Guard Lancer regiment in the end 1810 and consisted of several squadrons.
    3-rd Polish Cheavauleger Regiment – formedin 1812 and destroyed at Slonim that year.
    Here some more information about Polish Guard Lancers
    http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Polish_Guard_Lancers.html

Guard Polish Grenadier battalion in 1813

Maybe I put here too many information, but it can clear long and hard story of Polish units inn French service.
    You already included many of these units, but few was forgoten or not well showed. Think that you can take these names on you list of regimental names.
    Many thanks for your excllent contribution + Rep The Poles were certainly used hard by Napoleon

I did say that the regimental list I was aiming to produce would not be comprehensive. There are still dozens of minor units that I could still include.....

You should note that I did produce a short list of Polish Units for the Duchy of Warsaw as part of the Minor Nations/Minor States Regimental Names thread - see post 20 at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436889

dimnjacar's Avatar Civis

I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know

Quote Originally Posted by Pince of Essling
    Many thanks for your excllent contribution + Rep The Poles were certainly used hard by Napoleon

I did say that the regimental list I was aiming to produce would not be comprehensive. There are still dozens of minor units that I could still include.....

You should note that I did produce a short list of Polish Units for the Duchy of Warsaw as part of the Minor Nations/Minor States Regimental Names thread - see post 20 at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436889
    Thanks that you rep me. I know that you put information about Polish regimental names in Duchy of Warsaw army in another thread. If I remember well earlier I also gave some information about Polish units in French service in another thread, but it were not so detailed data like this time.

I can add next information about Polish units which were used in many places and fought hard during Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. There were many reorganized Polish units which fourth in later stage of these wars and it needs some explanations.

Any historical sources about french engineer corps?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt's Beaten Drum View Post
    Any historical sources about french engineer corps?

You haven't been forgotten - just been busy with other things. I will produce a note on the Napoleonic era & aim to give you some leads to follow up.

Don't forget Toussaint Louverture and his black troops in Saint-Domingue.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    Don't forget Toussaint Louverture and his black troops in Saint-Domingue.
    I will include a bit on the pionniers noirs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast