Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: French Army Regimental Names

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Default Re: French Army Regimental Names

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    One thing that I can't get my head around as far as the French Army organisation and tactic's are concerned is the apparent contradiction in Nafzigers description of how it worked. I don't know if you have any greater incite from your other books.

On page 25 Nafziger waxes on about the importance in understanding the difference between the administrative organisation of a battalion in terms of its company structure and the tactical organisation of the battlaion which was determined by its divisions and platoons. He makes the point quite forcefully that these were two completely independant structures and companies were not used as the basis for tactical maneouvre.

However, when it comes to the French Army of 1808 it is clear from Figures 17, 18 and 19 on pages 62 and 63 that he is showing the companies not the platoons as the maneouvring units of the battalion. More confusing still is the fact that according to these diagrams the presence of both flank companies is essential to completing the tactical formations depicted, even though we know that in practice these flank companies were frequently detached or massed into composite battalions.

If these diagrams are taken literally it would mean that French battalions were incapable of forming square once either of their flank companies were detached as these companies are shown as necessary to form the rear wall of the formation, which I find hard to believe.

Do you have any thoughts on this?
    You have highlighted an interesting conundrum ! Certainly I would agree the peloton (or platoon) was the basic drill unit (as it or section is in the modern army). After 1809 it was rare for the French to form composite elite battalions.

Unfortunately I have not been able to track down a copy of

the 1814 "Evolutions Par Brigades Ou Instruction Servant De Développement Aux Manoeuvres De Ligne, Indiquées Dans Les Règlements ... Destine Principalement Aux Officiers Infanterie"
    [ Meunier, Hugues-Alexandre-Joseph (Général Bon). Évolutions par brigades, ou Instruction servant de développement aux manoeuvres de ligne, indiquées par les réglements, par le baron Meunier,... Paris: Magimel, 1814. vi, 79 p., 16 pl.; 8vo. - I understand there is a microfilm copy located in the Archives in the First Corps of Cadets but cannot access.]

or the 1809 "Instruction Concernant Les Manoeuveres De L'Infantrie Donne Par L'Inspecteur General De L'Infanterie De L'Armee Du Rhin" - now found at http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/trans..._sect_id%3D105 but it relates to 1791

or the 1813 "Manual D'Infanterie Or Resume De Tous Les Reglements, Decrets, Usages, Et Rensignements Propres Aux Sous-Officiers De Cette Armee"
    which would I think give us the whole answer.

But according to Colonel H C B Rogers "Napoleon's Army" page 70 "…battalion columns could be either by division (double companies) or by platoons (single companies)."
    General Renard's 1857 book on "Infantry Tactics" shows French 6 company battalions with 4 company squares - this link should take you to the correct page
    http://books.google.com/books?id=ry9...page&q&f=false
    Looking at Bukhari "French Napoleonic Line Infantry" page 9 - he shows a regimental square with the fusilier companies in 4 company squares and voltigeurs & grenadiers linking them. So clearly there must have been a set of manouevres to enable them to get to the required square formation.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; December 18, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling +additional info
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician

Added Section on the Garde Impériale
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician

Added to first post:

Disciplinary Units
    Dépôts de conscripts réfractaire

Patrician

Added Oudinot's Grenadier Division to Temporary Formations

Its a shame this information and that provided on Russia, Prussia and Austria can't be held in a more permanent format somewhere, as you are providing a whealth of information in what is at the end of the day a temporary medium. I can't give you any more rep, as it says I need to spread it around a bit

Patrician

Its a shame this information and that provided on Russia, Prussia and Austria can't be held in a more permanent format somewhere, as you are providing a whealth of information in what is at the end of the day a temporary medium. I can't give you any more rep, as it says I need to spread it around a bit
    Many thanks - perhaps I should consolidate the lot into a single thread & see if the staff will sticky it like the websites list? After a bit more on France & Austria (further expansion of Insurrection) I will return to the Russian regiments thread.

Patrician

Added to Line Cavalry section additional info about Provisional Cavalry Regiments.

Excellent work, very comprehensive
    You are a true bible for passionate my friend

Patrician

Added to Line Infantry Section under Foreign & Auxiliary Troops:

Régiments Provinciaux Croates
    Hussards Croates (OKay - I know they are not infantry but placing them alongside the other Croats seemed the best thing to do)
    Régiments Provisoires d’Infanterie Croate
    Régiment Catalonien
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; January 17, 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: reasoning for Hussards Croates

I assumed at first that these Croation Regiments must have been formed around the initial cadre of Croation troops handed over to Napoleon when Austria disbanded their Light Infantry battalions, but I notice that the dates are wrong. The Austrians disbanded their light infantry battalions in 1801 and these regiments were not raised until 1809. I know the British used some of these men to form local garrison regiments.

Patrician

I assumed at first that these Croation Regiments must have been formed around the initial cadre of Croation troops handed over to Napoleon when Austria disbanded their Light Infantry battalions, but I notice that the dates are wrong. The Austrians disbanded their light infantry battalions in 1801 and these regiments were not raised until 1809. I know the British used some of these men to form local garrison regiments.
    The Croatian regiments you may be thinking of are the Régiments Provisoires d’Infanterie Croate which were formed from the Grenzer regiments that passed into French service when Austria ceded Karlstadt & the Banal to the French Empire after the defeat of 1809.

The Régiments Provinciaux Croates were raised by Marmont for use as an internal security force.

Presumably this was after Croatia was liberated from Austria?

But the transfer of personel I read about occured amicably between Austria and France some time in 1801-1802, so those troops must have been used elsewhere.

Patrician

Added to Infantry section - Colonial Troops:

Légion du Cap
    Régiment de l’Ile de France
    Troupes de Java
    Bataillon du Sénegal
    Bataillon de la Guyane
    Chasseurs de la Réunion
    Bataillons Coloniaux
    Pionniers Coloniaux

Chasseurs Volontaires de la Martinique
    Corps de Pionniers Noirs
    Chasseurs de la Guadeloupe

Patrician

Presumably this was after Croatia was liberated from Austria?

But the transfer of personel I read about occured amicably between Austria and France some time in 1801-1802, so those troops must have been used elsewhere.
    Yes to your question.

As to your comment - I now understand. Can you provide a bit more info and I will see if I can track down what happened?

page 356 of Elting "Swords Around A Throne" says in 1800 Napoleon ordered that Austrian deserters & other cast-offs be formed into battalions of foreign deserters and shipped off to Haiti (?presumably to die of disease).

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    As to your comment - I now understand. Can you provide a bit more info and I will see if I can track down what happened?

page 356 of Elting "Swords Around A Throne" says in 1800 Napoleon ordered that Austrian deserters & other cast-offs be formed into battalions of foreign deserters and shipped off to Haiti (?presumably to die of disease).
    I'm trying to track down where I read it myself, as its possible I was mistaken.

I've already found the references to Croatian troops being recruited by the British to form a garrison battalion on the Island of Vis, but again that occurred around 1813 and was too late to be linked to the disbanding of the Austrian Light Infantry.

Its possible that its related to the activity mentioned by Elting, and its reasonable to assume that some of the deserters and other cast-offs may have come from the Austrian Light Infantry battalions. But I distinctly recall reading that it was a more formal arrangement than that suggested. I even had a look through the summary of the Treaty of Amiens to see if there was anything about it mentioned in there.

You seem to have a much better system to for keeping track of these snippets of informaiton than I do. Either that or a better memory

Patrician

I'm trying to track down where I read it myself, as its possible I was mistaken.

I've already found the references to Croatian troops being recruited by the British to form a garrison battalion on the Island of Vis, but again that occurred around 1813 and was too late to be linked to the disbanding of the Austrian Light Infantry.

Its possible that its related to the activity mentioned by Elting, and its reasonable to assume that some of the deserters and other cast-offs may have come from the Austrian Light Infantry battalions. But I distinctly recall reading that it was a more formal arrangement than that suggested. I even had a look through the summary of the Treaty of Amiens to see if there was anything about it mentioned in there.

You seem to have a much better system to for keeping track of these snippets of informaiton than I do. Either that or a better memory
    Just a very good memory of where certain facts might be found (its not infallible but having a good memory is a great help).

As to the Treaty it was Luneville, on 9 February 1801 (20 Pluviose An IX) - rough translation via Google of the Articles below (I have omitted the preamble & tidied up some of the translation).

Art. I. There shall be henceforth and forever, peace, amity, and good understanding, between His Majesty the Emperor, King of Hungary and Bohemia, stipulating, as well in his own name as that of the Holy Roman Empire, and the French Republic, is said majesty engaging to cause the Empire to give ratification in good and due form to the present treaty. The greatest attention shall be paid on both sides to the maintenance of perfect harmony, to preventing all hostilities by land and by sea, for whatever cause, or on whatever pretence, and to carefully endeavouring to maintain the union happily established. No assistance or protection shall be given, either directly or indirectly, to those who would do any thing to the prejudice of either of the contracting parties.

II. The cession of the former Belgian Provinces to the French Republic, stipulated by the 3rd article of the Treaty of Campo Formio, is renewed there in the most formal manner, so that his Imperial and Royal Majesty, for himself and his successors, as well in his own name as that of the Holy roman Empire, renounces all his right and title to the said provinces, which shall be possessed henceforth as its sovereign right and property by the French Republic, with a l the territorial property dependant on it. There shall also be given up to the French Republic by His Imperial and Royal Majesty, and with the formal consent of the Empire:
    1st, The county of Falkenstein, with its dependencies.
    2d, The Frickthall, and all belonging to the House of Austria on the left bank of the Rhine, between Zarsach and Basle; the French Republic reserving to themselves the right of ceding the latter country to the Helvetic Republic.
    III. In the same manner, in renewal and confirmation of the 6th article of the treaty of Campo Formio, His Majesty the Emperor and the King shall possess in sovereignty, and as his right, the countries below enumerated, viz. Istria, Dalmatia, and the Venetian Isles in the Adriatic dependant upon those countries, the Bocca de Cattaro, the city of Venice, the canals and the country included between the hereditary state of His Majesty the Emperor and King; the Adriatic sea, and the Adige, from its leaving the Tyrol to the mouth of the said sea; the towing path of the Adige serving as the line of limitation. And as by this line the cites of Verona and of Porto Legnano will be divided, there shall be established, on the middle bridges of the said cities, drawbridges to mark the separation.

IV. The 18th article of the treaty of Campo Formio is also renewed thus far, that His Majesty the Emperor and King binds himself to yield to the Duke of Modena, as an indemnity for the countries which this Prince and his heirs had in Italy, the Brisgau, which he shall hold on the same terms as those by virtue of which he possesses the Modenese.

V. It is moreover agreed, that His Royal Highness the Grand Duke of Tuscany shall renounce, for himself and his successors, having any right to it, the Grand Dutchy of Tuscany, and that part of the Isle of Elba which is dependant upon it, as well as all right and title resulting from his rights on the said states, which shall be henceforth possessed in complete sovereignty, and as his own property, by His Royal Highness the infant Duke of Parma. The Grand Duke shall obtain in Germany a full and complete indemnity for his Italian states. The Grand Duke shall dispose at pleasure of the goods and property which he possesses in Tuscany, either by personal acquisition, or by descent from his late father, the Emperor Leopold II, or from his grandfather the Emperor Francis I. It is also agreed, that other property of the Grand Dutchy, as well as the debts secured on the country, shall pass to the new Grand Duke.

VI. His Majesty the Emperor and King, as well as in his own name as in that of the Holy Roman Empire, consents that the French Republic shall possess henceforth in complete sovereignty, and as their property, the country and domains situated on the left bank of the Rhine, and which formed part of the Holy Roman Empire: so that, in conformity with what had been expressly consented to at the congress of Rastadt, by the deputation of the Empire, and approved by the Emperor, the towing path of the Rhine will henceforth be the limit between the French Republic and the Holy roman Empire; that is to say, from the place where the Rhine leaves the Helvetic territory, to that where it enters the Batavian territory.

In consequence of this, the French Republic formally renounces all possession whatever on the right bank of the Rhine, and consents to restore to those whom it may belong, the fortresses of Dusseldorff, Ehrenbreitstein, Philipsburgh, the fort of Cassel, and other fortification opposite to Mentz, on the right bank, the fort of Kehl, and Old Brisach, on the express condition that these places and fortresses shall continue and remain in the state in which they were at the time of their evacuation.

VII. And as, in consequence of the cession which the Empire makes to the French Republic, several Princes and states of the Empire will be dispossessed, either altogether or in part, whom it is incumbent upon the Holy Roman Empire collectively to support, the losses resulting from the stipulations in the present treaty, it is agreed between His Majesty the Emperor and King, as well in his own name as in that of the Holy roman Empire, and the French Republic, that in conformity with the principles formally established at the congress of Rastadt, the Empire shall be bound to give to the hereditary Princes who shall be dispossessed on the left bank of the Rhine, an indemnity, which shall be taken from the whole of the Empire, according to arrangements which on these bases shall be ultimately determined upon.

VIII. In all the ceded countries, acquired or exchanged by the present treaty, it is agreed, as had already been done by the 4th and 10th articles of the treaty of Campo Formio, that those to whom they shall belong shall take them, subject to the debts charged on the said countries; but considering the difficulties which have arisen in this respect, with regard to the interpretation of the said articles of the treaty of Campo Formio, it is expressly understood, that the French Republic will not take upon itself any thing more that the debts resulting from the loans formally agreed to by the state so the ceded countries, or by the actual administrations of such countries.

IX. Immediately after the change of the ratifications of the present treaty, the sequestration imposed on the property, effects, and revenues of the inhabitants or proprietors, shall be taken off. The contracting parties oblige themselves to pay all they may owe for money lent them by individuals, as well as by the public establishments of the said countries and to pay and reimburse all annuities created for their benefit on every one of them. In consequence of this, it is expressly admitted, that the holders of stock in the bank of Vienna, become French subjects, shall continue to enjoy the benefit of their funds, and shall receive the interest accrued, or to accrue, not withstanding the infringement which the holders aforesaid, become French subjects, sustained by not being able to pay the 30 and 100 percent. Demanded by His Imperial and Royal Majesty, of all creditors of the bank of Vienna.

X. The contracting parties shall also cause all the sequestrations to be taken off, which have been imposed on account of the war, on the property, the rights, and revenues of the Emperor, or of the Empire, in the territory of the French Republic, and of the French citizens in the states of the said Majesty or the Empire.

XI. The present treaty of peace, and particularly the 8th, 9th, 10th and 15th articles, are declared to extend to, and to be common to the Batavian, Helvetic, Cisalpine and Ligurian Republics. The contracting parties mutually guaranty the independence of the said Republics, and the right of the people who inhabit them to adopt what form of government they please.

XII. His Imperial and Royal Majesty renounces for himself and his successors, in favour of the Cisalpine Republic, all rights and titles arising from those rights, which His Majesty might claim on the countries of the 8th article of the treaty of Campo Formio, now form part of the Cisalpine Republic, which shall possess them as their sovereignty and property, with all the territorial property dependant upon it.

XIII. His Imperial and Royal Majesty, as well in his own name as in that of the Holy roman Empire, confirms the agreement already entered into by the treaty of Campo Formio, for the union of former imperial fiefs to the Ligurian republic, and renounces all rights and titles arising from these rights on the said fiefs.

XIV. In conformity with the 2nd article of the treaty of Campo Formio, the navigation of the Adige, which serves as the limits between His Majesty the Emperor and King, and the navigation of the rivers in the Cisalpine Republic, shall be free, nor shall any toll be imposed, nor any ship of war kept there.

XV. All prisoners of war on both sides, as well as hostages given or taken during the war, who shall not be yet restored, shall be so within forty days from the time of the signing of the present treaty.

XVI. The real and personal property unalienated to this Royal Highness the Archduke Charles, and of the heirs of Her Royal Highness the Archduchess Christina, deceased, situated in the countries ceded to the French Republic, shall be restored to them on condition of their selling them within three years. The same shall be the case also with the landed and personal property of their Royal Highnesses the Archduke Ferdinand and the Archduchess Beatrice, his wife, in the territory of the Cisalpine Republic.

XVII. The 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th 17th, and 23d articles of the treaty of Campo Formio, are particularly renewed, and are to be executed according to their form and effect, as if they were here repeated verbatim.

XVIII. The contributions, payments, and war impositions, of whatever kind, shall cease from the day of the exchange of the ratifications of the present treaty on the one hand, by his imperial majesty and the Germanic empire, and on the other by the French Republic.

XIX. The present treaty shall be ratified by His Majesty the Emperor and King, by the Empire, and by the French Republic, in the space of thirty days or sooner if possible; and it is agreed that the armies of the two powers shall remain in the present positions, both in Germany and in Italy, until the ratification shall be respectively, and at the same moment, exchanged at Luneville.

It is also agreed, that ten days after the exchange of ratifications, the armies of this Imperial and Royal Majesty shall enter the hereditary possessions, which shall, within the same space of time, be evacuated by the French armies; and thirty days after the said ratifications shall be exchanged, the French armies shall evacuate the whole of the territory of the said Empire.

Done and signed at Luneville, 20 Pluviôse IX of the French Republic (9 February 1801)

Signed Louis, Count of Cobentzel ;
    Joseph Bonaparte.

Separate article and secret.
    As agreed by Article 5 of the patent, the Grand Duke of Tuscany will receive compensation in Germany, full and equal its Italian states, which are preferably employed the Archdiocese of Salzburg and Provost of Berchtesgaden.

This section will have the same force as if it were inserted word for word in the peace treaty signed evident today.

It will be ratified at the same time by the French Republic and His Majesty the Emperor and King, and acts of ratification in due form shall be exchanged at Luneville.

Done and signed at Luneville, 20 Pluviôse Year IX of the French Republic (February 9, 1801).
    Signed Louis, Count of Cobentzel ;
    Joseph Bonaparte
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; January 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: additional comment

Doh! Sorry I completely lost the plot for a minute on this one.

Yes, they were disbanded in 1801, not 1797 (no idea where I got that date from), so yes it makes sense that they were handed over as part of clause III above. I suppose it really depends on the actual ethnic mix of the battalions and what if any diplomatic deal were being done behind the scene. As I understand it Croatia remained part of the Austiran Empire after Luneville, but I think some of the men in those battalions were Italian.
    Last edited by Didz; January 18, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Patrician

Added to Infantry section under Foreign & Auxiliary Units:

Chasseurs des Alpes
    Chasseurs de Montagne

Patrician

Garde Nationale (National Guard) added to post 4

Patrician

Garde Nationales entry in post 4 has been greatly expanded as have been able to track down further info.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast