Thread: Silver Shield Thanksgiving Special

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Icon2 Silver Shield Thanksgiving Special

Welcome to the Silver Shield's special Thanksgiving (US residents only) editionWelcome readers.. I hope all you yanks of TWC enjoyed your turkey and potatoes.. and some lovely gravey.. and the mighty pumpkin pie! Well not much to say other than this is a special short stack pilgrim and native american mishmash edition. Enjoy it like it was your mom's candied yams.

All the best,

Subuatai

Mount&Blade: Picture of the Month
    Article by ThanksKipping formerly KippyK
    Mount & Blade, along with its stand-alone expansion Warband, have developed a cult following here at TWC. It fills a need that the Total War series can't quite; the need to plunge the sword into your enemy's heart yourself, as opposed to commanding your thousands of peons to do it for you.

Mount & Blade, further, is a beautiful game. Ornate armors, glistening weapons, extravagant scenery, and opulent castles all grace the world of Calradia. The M&B players here at TWC have created a monthly competition to celebrate the visual grace of the game - the Mount & Blade Picture of the Month.

In past years, the winners of all 12 months were pitted in a winner-take-all Picture of the Year competition.

Here we see the 2008 Winner: "Untitled", by italiano. Just look at the chaos of limbs and weapons - and the twilight sun peeking through the clouds is eerily calming. My favorite part is the single knight in the center, rearing upon his steed.

Picture of the Year 2008

And here we see the 2009 Winner: "A Most Alarming View" by Servitor. There is a quality of austerity and overwhelming helplessness, as we look upon a solitary figure staring at his approaching doom. The sky is a beautiful dusky pink, and the dust kicked up by the horsemen is almost like the blooming of a flower; the imagery alone makes me feel warmth, but the context draws the exact opposite reaction.
    Picture of the Year 2009

The year is quickly coming to a close - soon we will crown a Picture of the Year 2010 Champion! In order to celebrate Thanksgiving, let us take a closer look at the contenders for Picture of the Month: November.

"Lancer", by Armatus. This shot uses the currently in-development Imperium Graecorum modification (hosted here at TWC!):
    Lancer

I love the weather in this one - the blues and whites of the sky are dimmed perfectly to reflect the coldness of a spear-tip bearing down upon hapless rabble. My favorite part of the shot is the rider's bright shield - the gold and royal blue contrast strikingly with the grayed palette of the rest of thes hot.

"'Tis but a Fleshwound" by iamme
    'Tis but a Fleshwound

This shot really highlights the skyscapes that can be found in M&B. The clouds are photorealistic - I mean, the clouds I'm looking at through my window right now don't even look as good. I love the humor in the title and the shot - I can imagine the brute muttering the very words of the Black Knight.

"Victory has Never been Sweeter" by Vikingr
    Victory has Never been Sweeter

This shot is simply fun to look at. Sieges are great fun in M&B; there's nothing quite as satisfying as sending your opponent rag-dolling down the side of a castle wall. A heavily-armored knight tumbles to his doom in a funny yet epic picture.

"Cavalry Down" by Adorno1
    Cavalry Down

There are two things I love about this picture. Firstly, the way the sun glares through the trees on the right - it is beautiful, poetic even. Its a sight thta reminds me of evening hikes back at home. Secondly, I enjoy the "clash of cultures" in the fight - you can see the pavise crossbowmen of the Rhodok faction and a heavy infantryman of the Nords taking down a light cavalryman of the Vaegirs.

"Untitled" by Servitor
    Untitled

This picture highlights some cool new items that have been added into several modifications via item packs. The two leftmost horses, covered in colorful heraldry, and the knightly helmet in the front are user created items. These are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to user-created content - and they truly show how even non-professional work can be beautiful.

The long lost Interview with Louis Lux
    Q: Who are you and where are you from?
    Q: You are well know and respected inside the Graphics workshop please; if you don’t mind give us some back story on yourself.
    My name is indeed Louis, it's from French origin and so am I, but I actually live in Rio de Janeiro Brazil one of the most beautiful and romanticized cities in the world. I'm 23 years old and have been studying graphic design for four years now. I've been a member here at the forums for over two years and I have been contributing to the Third Age total war mod 2D art a bit after I signed in. I started as a portrait maker and moved on to do event pictures and building icons that I released as a visual improvement sub mod that had many collaborations by other members mainly Maxmazi, who made the unit info cards. You can check some of the work that was done here and the original thread here. I've recently started working on a re-development of the elven factions of Third Age, progress can be seen here.

Q:Whatbrought you to TWC? And what brought you to the GW?

I think total war games are great, it's one of those games that I can play for countless hours and that I always come back to when I finish playing other games, and I'm talking about the vanilla game, I was quite oblivious to modifications a while back. I think I stumbled across TWC when I was searching for Lord of the Rings related stuff, I always wondered how good a Total War game set in middle-earth would be, and judging by the several LOTR mods many others have too, and that's how I found the Third Age total war mod forum and my mind started buzzing with suggestions like many other newcomers in those forums. So I signed in and started to post, while eagerly awaiting any bit of news and previews of the mod I made signature requests related to LOTR, I also began exploring other parts of the forums and came across the signature and avatar request thread of the GW and became a regular there.

Q: How long have you been working with Photoshop/gimp? What drew you to it?

I started working with photoshop at the same time I entered design school, four years ago, I didn't know the software at the time but I needed to achieve a certain result with my graphic pieces and I just tried to make it happen. I'm very intuitive when it comes to computers, and photoshop is an intuitive tool so I became familiar with it rather quickly, later on I had a class teaching some basics mainly working with Layers which I hadn't explored that much. I'm currently having some advanced photoshop classes, but most of what is taught I had already learned by myself.

Q: Are you naturally artistic, can you pick up a pencil and create magic? And if so do you find it easier or more difficult to do graphic arts?
    I think you can say that I'm naturally artistic, I would rather define me as being naturally observant, it's part of my personality, and that obviously affected my drawing skill, I can quickly perceive shapes and lighting and put it on paper. But that's not all it takes to 'create magic' like you said, it takes a lot of patience and practice. Drawing and graphic arts are intimately related, to be a versatile graphic artist is alway good to be able to layout your ideas on paper and be in contact with paper to find your own personal expression. I guess that for a lot of people is much easier to be in front of the computer and make a composition than it is with a blank piece of paper, you have an unending amount of freedom with a piece of paper, which can be quite daunting, but this artistic freedom makes it much less complicated. The graphic arts have to be able to communicate and for that reason is much more limited but at the same time it's a very vast area and every part of it such as illustration, typography, animation has its nuances and complexities, which make it more difficult to master.

Q:Howdo you approach making a signature? Eg: someone has requested one with just a descriptive outline. I imagine the visual process is quite different than that where the user has supplied images, (I know it different for myself)
    For me there are two types of requests, one that allows you to be more creative and the other more technical. When the user has supplied several images or wants a specific type of signature like an animated one the challenge is much more technical, you have A and you must achieve B and that requires a bit of knowledge of the image editing tool but not much else. When the user gives you just a descriptive outline the challenge is very different, in this case you have to illustrate an idea or concept. I like to do these types of requests but the description must generate a spark, a general picture of what it will look like in my head, than I normally do some research or use something out of my database and see what images work together, my best signatures were made that way.

Q: If you had to pick one past signature or competition entry which would it be, and why?
    I’m really fond of my signatures, when the work is done I like to look back and contemplate the piece, I think it’s part of the reward of doing any kind of visual art. If I had to pick I would go with my Graphics competition 46 entry that granted me my medal, this signature is probably my best, it was originally a signature request that I didn’t feel like doing but my friend Maxmazi ask me to do it so I did it.

Q: Is there anyone in the TWC Graphics Workshop that you look to, as a standard of quality?
    You put me in a tough spot, I would feel bad not to mention all of the content artists that are very talented. In my opinion someone that serves as an example is Giovi, his progress in the graphic arts was meteoric and he is very involved with the graphics workshops, being always amiable and constantly participating in the competitions. It’s very tough to judge the quality of someone’s graphics work, each person has his own style, but if I have to pick someone as a standard of quality I would choose Marcel he has shown enormous versatility and really high quality pieces.

Q: Lastly, is there any advice you can give to people who are taking thinking of learning Photoshop.

Photoshop is a tool, it’s a mean to achieve an end, so I don't see the point of doing every tutorial available, I think you would become fed up after some time. My advice for people who want to learn photoshop is to find something specific you want to achieve, like fix a really old photo of your grandparents or make a funny montage, then ask for help or search some tutorials regarding what you want to accomplish. This will help you grasp the basics and you will have something to show for that is more personal, from that point on you can try doing things by yourself, each time you find a challenge you can step out of your comfort zone and try to learn something new and more advanced through tutorials.

[LEFT]---
    Does the signature need to be within 550x175?
    This was going to be my surrealism piece, but since I missed the deadline I'll use it here as my signature:

One of my drawings

The Silver Shield SpotLight double sized edition
    Rebel Jeb
    Local Profile, Rebel Jeb

About your name?

My name originates from Jeb Stuart, the Confederate Cavalry General. My brother and I were making Xboxlive accounts in the past, and he was trying to come up with an original Confederate name, so I came up with the idea to tack Jeb onto the end. Shortly after I created mine replacing Confederate with Rebel and it stuck so I used it on TWC as well.

Country

United States of America (Eastern Coast)

March 15th, 2008

Subforms Managed

Star Wars Roleplaying Gateway, Mafia Sub-forum

Other Duties

Currently managing the Mafia sub-forum.

Political Leaning

Libertarian, Right-wing.

Is there a God

Yes.

How did you find TWC?

My brother found it through searching and recommended it to me.

What Total War games do you own?

Rome, Medieval 2, Barbarian Invasion, Kingdoms

What do you like about Total War?

I really enjoy choosing a certain select general or two and working to make them great. Usually their picture or name makes me decide which.

What Total War theme would you like CA to release in the future?

I'd like to see another Rome: Total War. I love the factions, tactics, and general feel to that time period.

What are your future plans (TWC, Life, Work?)

On TWC I plan to maintain the Mafia subforum and keep it neat and active. I hopefully will one day apply to become a Citizen. I am working in school, and in a few years will apply for college, which will take up and involve a large chunk of my lifetime. I volunteer at a Science Center in my area. It has a large zoological park attached to it, where I volunteer, working with the animals and showing them to kids.

Advice to Impart?

A little about me, I'm an avid gamer. Though I'm one of the only people here who doesn't really play Totalwar Games (What's wrong with me?!?! I will say that I enjoy TA: TW though, you guys are awesome! ), I love console games and MMO's. I've played World of Warcraft and Runescape mostly in the past, and am awaiting Star Wars: The Old Republic. I love shooters and RPGs on my Xbox 360, and also play my Wii from time to time for strategy and RPG games like Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem.

I love animals. Chinchillas are awesome. FACT!

I shall now shamelessly advertise for myself and others about the Mafia subforum. Mafia is a forum game that is different each game played, depending on the rules the host, or game creator and moderator, of the game sets up. The basic rules normally involve at least two groups. The good group, the townies, verses the bad group, the mafia. The game's idea is simply an uneducated majority verses an educated minority. Each day in game, the players will vote to lynch, or eliminate, somebody. After day, night commences, where many things can happen, normally involving the mafia killing a player. The goal for the town is to have all of the mafia die. The goal for the mafia is to stay alive long enough for there to be an equal or more amount of mafia than town.

It's a very fun game and experience. I would recommend anyone to check it out!

Before I wrap this up, I'd like to give a nice, big applause for the other local moderators. Even though I don't know many of you, I appreciate what you do and respect you for it. Clap clap good sirs, keep up the great work.

cpdwane

cpdwane

About your name? It's derived from my initials.

Subforms Managed: The Punic Total War subforum (of which Sicilian Wars is a part.) I'm the team leader of Sicilian Wars

Other Duties

I'm doing all the skinning for the next version of The Greek Wars, and I am also working on a submod for Europe in Conflict

Political Leaning

All the parties in this country seem the same to me, so I don't really lean towards any of them. I don't think this is a bad thing though, as it shows how comparatively little in our country needs changing, and how well suited to it's role our government is. So yeah, I'm centre ground.

Is there a God?

Yes, although I can't say much about him for certain. I'm a Roman Catholic but I don't think I'll ever be able to believe completely in the whole of Catholic teaching. I'm far too questioning a person.

How did you find TWC?

I found out about the RTR mod from a wikipedia article about 2.5 years ago, which then led me to this site. After that I was lurking as a guest for more then a year before signing up.

What Total War games do you own?

All, apart from the original Shogun TW.

What do you like about Total War?

The fact that, although it is not perfect by any means, it is still the most easily accessible yet realistic depiction of the way a real general or nation would fight campaigns, while at the same time being a fun game.

What Total War theme would you like CA to release in the future?

Hellenistic or Classical Greece is an absolute MUST at some point in the future, especially as the new naval system in S2TW will represent Trireme warfare perfectly with only minor adjustments. I'd rather not just see a straight sequal to Rome in the same manner as S2TW is a sequal to STW, as I don't think vanilla RTW was strong enough game at it's core.

What are your future plans (TWC, Life, Work?)

To post more in the Discussion and debate sections, for a start; I'm still in state funded education at the moment but when I leave I plan to study either Ancient History or Marine Biology at University. I'm very interested in Tropical fishkeeping at the moment so maybe there's a career in that for me.

Advice to Impart?

When it comes to modding, if you want to start a mod, don't think that you can get other people to do the work for you; have a go yourself, it's much easier then you think!

Please visit TWC's other fine content branches

© The Silver Shield A publication of the TWC local moderators social group: The Silver Auxilia

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Silver Shield Thanksgiving Special

Great work everyone! Long Live the Silver Shield!

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Nice! Happy thanksgiving to everyone.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great job!!!

Happy Thanks Giving yall!

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

I don't celebrate thanksgiving, but I'm damn proud to see a new edition out here.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Nice work guys!

Also I have requested we continue with the art work, so for archival purposes you'll get your banner. We were just running a little short handed in the art dept this time around.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

I'm appaled by the lack of special banners for me and Jeb, utterly, utterly appalled.

No, Great work guys

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Well it was either Turkey for our families or hire a contractor to do the art. Turkey won out...

Nice work.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Well it was either Turkey for our families or hire a contractor to do the art. Turkey won out...
    That's so not the spirit of Thanksgiving.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Well done gentlemen!