Thread: Just got my hands on Shogun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Leeham991's Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Default Just got my hands on Shogun

I saw Shogun Total War in a shop today and I bought it, mainly because it's the only TW I haven't played, partly because it was only 10p (about 15 cents I think) xD

Still, I am gonna ask here right away: any gameplay tips?

Also how different is it from MTW (a game I quite disliked)?

Cheers
    Yay vagueness
    - Lee
    I like pie.

Default Re: Just got my hands on Shogun

Shogun is quite similar in a way to medievil, but you just take a step back, worse graphics, dumber AI and more clumsy. Furthermore, quite a lot of the buildings are for decoration more than anything else. On the plus side, it has a certain nostalga to it, as it was the first and it does make you smile . Hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeham991 View Post
    Also how different is it from MTW (a game I quite disliked)?
    Hmm, what is the reason why you disliked MTW?
    Cause they are based on the same engine so depending on your reasons it might be possible that Shogun features the same "problems".

I didn't like MTW because I couldn't ever work out what was going on in battles and they were over in a few seconds xD

I got the hang of the campaign map ok, which was something a bunch of guys I know were complaining about.

I played a little Shogun the other day and won my first manual-play battle in the old games ever xD Still it was over fast and it was sort of a lucky victory; hit them from behind with archers.
    I like pie.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Leeham991 View Post
    I didn't like MTW because I couldn't ever work out what was going on in battles and they were over in a few seconds xD
    I got the hang of the campaign map ok, which was something a bunch of guys I know were complaining about.
    I played a little Shogun the other day and won my first manual-play battle in the old games ever xD Still it was over fast and it was sort of a lucky victory; hit them from behind with archers.

...when I first "met" with MTW I had the same problems with the battles and was a bit frustrated but then I really spent some time to read the manual and getting familar with the controls and somewhere along the line....boooom...I got it...
    sure units a bit clumsy but once you learned to bare that in mind its not really an issue anymore...
    biggest problem for the player here is the step back from RTW-M2TW engine to the Shogun/MTW engine which is sort of another dimension once somebody got used to the more or less fluid movement of RTW/M2TW units and battles...

'Oi. Play the tutorials. They are awesome in their own right.

i bought STW because it looks nice on my desk.

Ahhh...Shogun. I just loved the vids. Especially the geisha assassinations.

The videos are so well made. :O It makes me wonder why RTW missed out on them...

Still I am enjoying STW so far. Luckily I find lost campaigns hilarious, because I've now lost 14 *epic face*
    I like pie.