Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we living in the end times?

Default Re: Are we living in the end times?

I'm really looking forward to 2012 myself. I expect a LOT of people are going to top themselves. I also know that a lot of poor fools have quite their jobs, cashed in on their savings and everything to start building up a large emergency supply and 'safe houses' to survive the end of the world. And then, when 2012 comes, and nothing happens, I am going to laugh. so. hard.

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

He seems to think it will have something to do with Global Warming and biotechnology.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Another year, another people saying these are the end times...since the start of humankind ppl liked to believe that they're special in a dark manner: they're living the last moments!!
    [Col] RO Citizen

no but we are living in retarded times. i actually fear were going backwords because the common man dosent need to think anymore. with all the tv,video games,internet and idiotic stuff

no but we are living in retarded times. i actually fear were going backwords because the common man dosent need to think anymore. with all the tv,video games,internet and idiotic stuff
    You're forgetting forums. Like these. And bad grammer, too.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Actually you already missed it

It happened in 1843

err...Actually it was little before that even

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28)

-Jesus Christ

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    " I mean look at Christianity, a 2000 year old doomsday cult that relies on the concept that there will be an end times. "

Their Law,

I have to tell you that Christianity goes all the way back to righteous Abel, perhaps even before, thus making it at least some six thousand years old. This doomsday cult as you call it has been waiting and watching for the return of Jesus Christ since His elevation to the glory because that is where we all who are born again want to be. The finishing part of this hope is that according to what has been promised will be accomplished by there being an end of time.
    And this doesn't make it a doomsday cult (religion if you prefer) how? At the end of the day, Christianity has a strong doomsday myth, dressing it up in the idea of redemption and saviours doesn't change that.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by justicar5 View Post
    theres the problem that jesus stated some of his disciples, the ones at his feet, would be alive in the end times...
    Uhh..did you not read the example of the fig tree? Once you notice the branches become tender and sprout leaves summer is about to start? Its saying once you start to see the signs of the return of the Lord, that generation will live to see the end. I.e the process will take about a life time, 40 ish years from start to finish.
    Last edited by Squiggle; November 24, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

I like the video and he has many interesting ideas. Do I think we're at the end times? No, I highly doubt anything more than a slight failure of civilization will ever occur to the human race. However there's a difference from the world ending as we know it and the world ending all together. As we know it the world is destined to change.

Genetic engineering and artificial intelligence have always been the ideas that have most worried me as triggering that change. I'm not afraid that genetic engineering is going to trigger a superbug that kills us all but rather my fears are the same as his, who can we expect to regulate genetic engineering? How can we hold them accountable? I think he's right, both market forces and state regulation will fail. The only other option in my mind is individual regulation or standardization. Either everyone gets it, or people are only allowed to perform extensively it on themselves.

Artificial intelligence has a similar issue. Who can we possibly expect to regulate artificial intelligence. Part of the problem is simply the lack of understanding of intelligence and at which point someone/something becomes like man. Do we treat them as equals and hope they work for our approval? Do we make them into slaves trusting in our ability to control them? Invariably there will be more powerful AI's than others. Does this mean an AI with the intelligence of nearly a god (if not complete omniscience) and access to our databanks might eventually exist? How do we prevent it from taking over? Can we even prevent it from taking over?

Unfortunately like him I think complete avoidance is simply denying ourselves the benefits that both technologies can bring.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Quote Originally Posted by elfdude View Post
    Genetic engineering and artificial intelligence have always been the ideas that have most worried me as triggering that change. I'm not afraid that genetic engineering is going to trigger a superbug that kills us all but rather my fears are the same as his, who can we expect to regulate genetic engineering? How can we hold them accountable?

[...]

Artificial intelligence has a similar issue. Who can we possibly expect to regulate artificial intelligence. Part of the problem is simply the lack of understanding of intelligence and at which point someone/something becomes like man. Do we treat them as equals and hope they work for our approval? Do we make them into slaves trusting in our ability to control them? Invariably there will be more powerful AI's than others. Does this mean an AI with the intelligence of nearly a god (if not complete omniscience) and access to our databanks might eventually exist? How do we prevent it from taking over? Can we even prevent it from taking over?
    This is where great thinkers will have to once again claim their place in society as those who give us a manual for how to deal with reality. Martin Heidegger's "The Question Concerning Technology" is an excellent work that deals very intricately with these precise questions. I couldn't possibly begin to explain his thinking without doing him a great injustice but I think he has nailed it when he says that the essence of modern day technology is by no means anything technological.

If these things genuinely worry/interest you then I would advise you to start reading his work. It's very, very insightful. Difficult to digest, though, but once you get it it doesn't let you go.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

We could then, figure out the long forgotten question on whether technological progress is inherently good and bad, and stop treating people who had a grudge against machines with blind intolerance. The question is, can we handle the power? Actually, this should have been answered before we made the A Bomb, but as always, sheer pragmatism has ensured everything went into a frighteningly smooth path.

I think, that given the imperfections of the human race, we will have to put an absolute halt somewhere. Whether this is viable or not, and where this limit lies, is open to debate.

Essentially, though, we are already slaves to our creations, and we already live in the midst of a dystopian technocratic society.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; November 24, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Yep... just like a decade ago, a century ago and a millenia ago we are still living in the end of times.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Yep... just like a decade ago, a century ago and a millenia ago we are still living in the end of times.

I'm chatting at near the speed of light with people across the planet, in what is a modest home but if filled with luxuries a Roman Emperor would be in envy of, with more food than I can eat, and healthy children, and yet its the end times.

Sooner or later there will be an end time, and I bet no one will see it coming.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by frank_garrett View Post

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    I'm chatting at near the speed of light with people across the planet, in what is a modest home but if filled with luxuries a Roman Emperor would be in envy of, with more food than I can eat, and healthy children, and yet its the end times.

Sooner or later there will be an end time, and I bet no one will see it coming.
    None of these things are in any way indicative of whether or not we live in end times, however. So grats for having a home filled with useless luxuries but they're not gonna keep either planet earth or western civilisation afloat.

If we're of the opinion that our ridiculously oversized widescreen TV's in the ceilings of our bathrooms that we watch while enjoying a jacuzzi after a short drive home from some humongous supermarket in our Ford F450 on which we watch reality soaps about people who have even bigger TV's and even bigger cars and shop in even bigger stores is any sign whatsoever that things are well, then I fear that noone will see anything coming indeed.
    Last edited by The Dude; November 25, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Yeah its not the best part of the year but if people spend sometime reading the history book, the older days are not much better instead its worse. Like a lot worse, just to put down some comparison, all the stuff that goes on for normal folks in books like the Song of Ice and fire would have been everyday occurence for people in the middle ages or earlier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12