Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Biblical Destruction of Sodom

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

Default The Biblical Destruction of Sodom

Was it really about homosexuality?

"This is the sin of Sodom; she and her suburbs had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not help or encourage the poor and needy. They were arrogant and this was abominable in God's eyes."
    Ezekiel 16:48-49

Default Re: The Biblical Destruction of Sodom

Quote Originally Posted by Bandiera Rossa View Post

"This is the sin of Sodom; she and her suburbs had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not help or encourage the poor and needy. They were arrogant and this was abominable in God's eyes."
    I'm no expert, but the way I understand it, homosexuality was just one of the many sins that contributed to the city's demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggreenfellow View Post
    I'm no expert, but the way I understand it, homosexuality was just one of the many sins that contributed to the city's demise.
    Homosexual rape and lust certainly, but I see no real basis for this account to be used to condemn homosexuals when it even more explicitly condemns behaviors many prominent Christians are involved in.

Homosexual rape and lust certainly, but I see no real basis for this account to be used to condemn homosexuals when it even more explicitly condemns behaviors many prominent Christians are involved in.

many? All, greed is a christian virue apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by justicar5 View Post
    many? All, greed is a christian virue apparently...
    I don't make blanket statements. I also know many radical Christians who oppose Capitalism and call for revolution, so it wouldn't be a true statement either.

Like Biggreenfellow said it was for all of their sins.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It wasn't just homosexuality (all kinds of sexual acts, from sadic things to homosexuality to zoophilia, etc.), it was about all kinds of sins, but yes, sexual things were the most important ones, as God loves to love...
    [Col] RO Citizen

Opifex

You need to read Genesis. A bunch of men from Sodom all came out en masse to have sex with Jacob, they wouldnt take a woman as a substitute, and they were on their way towards raping him.

But yes, this was by far not the only reason. When Jacob tried to save the city from destruction, God said, if there's just a hundred righteous men in the city, he'd save it. Turned out not to be the case. God said, alright, just give me ONE ighteous man and ill save them. Wasn't the case. The whole city was forfeit.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; November 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    You need to read Genesis. A bunch of men from Sodom all came out en masse to have sex with Jacob, they wouldnt take a woman as a substitute, and they were on their way towards raping him.

But yes, this was by far not the only reason. When Jacob tried to save the city from destruction, God said, if there's just a hundred righteous men in the city, he'd save it. Turned out not to be the case. God said, alright, just give me ONE ighteous man and ill save them. Wasn't the case. The whole city was forfeit.
    Are you confusing Jacob with Lot? The men of Sodom tried to rape the angels which YHWH sent to Lot, but it also condemns the heterosexual rape of Dinah. Is it really about homosexuality, or a condemnation of all forms of rape? (Especially as a show of power)

Del Valle's Avatar Senator

Just a literal read of that seems to be saying that God punished Sodom for being arrogant and not helping the poor. The "but" implies that it was not because of their wealth and ease, but because of their refusal to share it with others.

Man, the Sodomites would rape anything wouldn't they?

EVERYONE HAS A PRICE, FOR THE MILLION DOLLAR PRONS
    http://prons.myminicity.com/tra

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Is there any other lines in the bible that say's being gay is evil or wrong?

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post
    Is there any other lines in the bible that say's being gay is evil or wrong?
    Leviticus is obviously the most famous. Other examples are in timothy, Corinthians [i cant remember the exact verses atm], and Romans.
    Last edited by Squiggle; November 22, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggle View Post
    Leviticus is obviously the most famous. Other examples are in timothy, Corinthians [i cant remember the exact verses atm], and Romans.
    Leviticus (the most explicit reference) isn't as explicit as it seems. Leviticus is mostly a holiness code which speaks about what a Priest should or should not do. It calls various things "abominations", the thing is that the word which is translated as "abomination" has a different meaning than in English. Leviticus calls homosexuality "Tōʻēḇā" which carries a similar meaning to "Taboo" in that it can mean something "shameful" in addition to something "evil".

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

And I'd argue they couldn't be gay because the priesthood was carried by blood. Priests must have sons to replace them. The OT shows a people very concerned with inheritance and property rights. Not having sons and daughters to continue on the family is basically sin. Think how upset barren people seem. Several miracles involve a blessed child birth.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    And I'd argue they couldn't be gay because the priesthood was carried by blood. Priests must have sons to replace them. The OT shows a people very concerned with inheritance and property rights. Not having sons and daughters to continue on the family is basically sin. Think how upset barren people seem. Several miracles involve a blessed child birth.
    Most condemnations of "unnatural sex" were interpreted later on to mean "Any sexual activity which isn't for the sake of procreation" A lot of this was because sperm was believed to contain all that was necessary for life, while a woman was just an "incubator" of sorts.

Boer's Avatar Ordinarius

The traditional Jewish interpretation focuses more on mistreating foreigners/guests, among other sins. Given that it is ultimately a Jewish story, I give their interpretation (and additional stories revolving around it) more weight than later christian views.
    If the soul is impartial in receiving information, it devotes to that information the share of critical investigation the information deserves, and its truth or untruth thus becomes clear. However, if the soul is infected with partisanship for a particulat opinion or sect, it accepts without a moment’s hesitation the information that is agreeable to it.—Ibn Khaldun.

Opifex

Are you confusing Jacob with Lot? The men of Sodom tried to rape the angels which YHWH sent to Lot, but it also condemns the heterosexual rape of Dinah. Is it really about homosexuality, or a condemnation of all forms of rape? (Especially as a show of power)
    Sorry I was thinking about Lot, got confused about the story from memory. Well sure, the heterosexual rape is condemned too. The story isn't about homosexuality, but it homosexuality in it, it being no accident that the city was immortalizd for all time from that fact. The scene with them trying to rape the angels is kind of unparalled in ancient literature.

Most condemnations of "unnatural sex" were interpreted later on to mean "Any sexual activity which isn't for the sake of procreation" A lot of this was because sperm was believed to contain all that was necessary for life, while a woman was just an "incubator" of sorts.
    During the middle ages, yes. This was abolished during the Reformation.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

black-dragon's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    Too bad we can't do that anymore. People complain that it's this silly thing called 'mass murder'. Pffft, what do they know?
    'If there is an ultimate meaning to existence, as I believe is the case, the answer is to be found within nature, not beyond it. The universe might indeed be a fix, but if so, it has fixed itself.' - Paul Davies, the guy that religious apologists always take out of context.

Attention new-agers: I have a quantum loofah that you might be interested in.

I wonder that if the god of the Jews could destroy cities he might have done something about Nazi Germany maybe? I suppose the genocide of his chosen people doesn't make him nearly as angry as sexual deviancy.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Lot sold his wife into slavery for a block of salt which was a form of currency, and told everyone that god magically did it to punish her. Then he got drunk and had sex with his children. Lovely story.
    "The worst readers are those who behave like plundering troops: they take away a few things they can use, dirty and confound the remainder, and revile the whole." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast