Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A modder's guide to errors

Default Re: A modder's guide to errors

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Here's one I just posted elsewhere:
    This seems to be a fairly rare error, so I'll throw it up here in case anyone else runs into it.

If you use spaces instead of tabs to separate your units from their XP and weapon levels in descr_strat.txt, you'll get the following error:
    database_table error : found unrecognized record ID

I discovered the problem when I set Notepad++ to view all characters and discovered it was inserting 5 spaces instead of a tab character.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

That's because the game reads the spaces as part of the unit name which it then, of course cannot find. It can happen elsewhere too.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

I have people who play my mod Imperium Julianorum reporting CTD's involving battles at Bridge crossings. They get them after the battle has finished. I am aware of issues revolving around RAM and Windows XP, but this seems to persist, though not with everybody. It does seem to occur along the Rhine where the bridges are close to cities. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fireward77's Avatar Civis

Sorry but im to lazy right now to read all of them but heres a group of CTD causers, adding formations to a unit who shouldn't have them (phalanx, shield_wall, testudo to cavalry, oddly enough schiltrom doesn't cause any CTD on my game. Another example is giving testudo to a non legion unit)

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

1.Loading CTD errorless.

#descr_sm_resources.txt

Altered resource listing by trade values,and game crashes everytime. I can not see any space faults??? No1 is original,working file(TE Gold).

2.Battle Screen CTD errorless

#officer models

As a difference,I tried a wardog as officer for a city guard unit. It looked fine,but any movement of the unit sends the game crashing.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

#Skinner's errors?

I am sure I saw a thread for Skinner's Errors around,referencing to things like: visible lines down the face etc. Can't find it though..any clues?

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

I'm getting a strange error. Something I had not seen before.

I have -show_err

When the game is loading I get a message from whatever unit is in a certain position, complaining about either its formations including stat_health, or missing attributes field. If I delete, edit or move the unit and put another one in its position, the error won't change.

I have edited descr_model_battle, EDU, descr_mount, descr_projectile_new, export_units, export_descr_unit_enums and export_descr_buildings.

However, this error only showed up after I started editing the last three plus some usual EDU editing.

Unit example:
    Code:
    type             east peltast
    dictionary       east_peltast      ; Peltasts
    category         infantry
    class            light
    voice_type       Light_1
    soldier          persian_javelineer, 60, 0, 1
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, hide_long_grass, can_sap, very_hardy
    formation        1, 1, 1, 1, 5, square
    stat_health      1, 0
    stat_pri         12, 3, javelin, 70, 5, thrown, archery, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         6, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,0.5
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  4, 4, 6, flesh
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        0
    stat_ground      0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental      3, low, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 180, 170, 20, 30, 180
    ownership        pontus, armenia

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

What's the exact error and post the unit entry above the one that's complaining as well as the one that's being complained about and note which line is the relevant line number.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Notepad++ was causing the error. It was messing up things when I copied text in a certain way. The problem was Notepad++ did't show how everything was messed. I had to open it with traditional notepad to find out.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

I find that unlikely, I use notepad++ extensively and have never had a problem such as you describe. Notepad++ shows a lot more of what's in a file than notepad could ever hope to.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Welcome
    I have a problem with the CTD that occurs when the conditions are fulfilled: 50 regions and the maintenance of the Emperor of Rome as
    I wonder what might be causing this, the error occurs when a player win playing fraction romans_julii?

whether the reason could be the use of the conditions of victory "imperator"form Rome on the BI engine without Senate?

romans_julii
    imperator
    short_campaign outlive_factions

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

try replacing
    Code:
    romans_julii
    imperator
    with

Code:
    romans_julii
    hold_regions Rome
    take_regions 50
    This will of course not work unless you start a new campaign.
    What mod are you playing that uses that victory condition but doesn't have a senate faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    try replacing
    Code:
    romans_julii
    imperator
    with

Code:
    romans_julii
    hold_regions Rome
    take_regions 50
    This will of course not work unless you start a new campaign.
    What mod are you playing that uses that victory condition but doesn't have a senate faction?
    In my
    Also I think also it was a mistake

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

@Map and regions (Invasio Barbarorum Ruina Roma V8 (WIP))

I got a very silly error, however game did not crash.

During the AI movement the game suddenly mixed up some regions. That happened after appr. 120 turns.
    Settlement names and region names have not changed, but certain street connections are missing, you can build and recruit region-specific building and units, respectively, where they have never been intended to be possible.

For example, a region located in Central Asia (Kerman) is now in the region of Athen (but not vis-versa).

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

I don't know what you mean by street connections are missing, but messed up recruitment or buildings is a hidden_resource problem in EDB, the recruitment lines and building requirement lines are likely incorrect in some way.

I don't know what you mean by street connections are missing
    The roads connecting neighborhood settlements.

I do not think that it is the Hidden_resources, they are properly done. The game moved the regions` parameter and neighborhoods. If you open the Trade&Income subscreen you can see that such a moved region has direct trade connection to regions those are not in direct neighborhood or even region who are located far away from the sea they have now sea trade.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Could you post a screenshot of your map? Not that I have any clue as to what is wrong here (sounds like your map.rwm was changed while you were playing or something), but I'm really curious; never heard of anything similar before.

Here is the screenshot.
    As you can see there are not any roads from Kerman and on the Trade Details there are trade connections to settlement which are far away. Even sea trade exists, although the Kerman region can not have a harbour.

I think you are right, somehow the rwm-file must have been corrupted during the game.

Weird. Is this an older save-game continued with an edited map? I'd suggest you regenerate map.rwm and start a new campaign.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast