Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to unpack something specific from the .pack files

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to unpack something specific from the .pack files

Confirm what Irish said.

I got it from americas using,
    Code:
    unpacker.exe --source=..\..\mods\americas\packs\*.pack --destination=..\..\ --verbosity=1 --base_pack_path=mods/americas/data/ --filter=descr_geography_new.txt

However changing americas for british_isles (in both places) results in nothing.
    Never mind though, I'm happy enough.
    My thanks to those who helped for their input.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

You're welcome.

Icon10 Re: How to unpack something specific from the .pack files

Quote Originally Posted by aljonzc View Post
    Hey it didn't w0rk f0r me... I f0ll0w your nstructi0ns but the unpack_all ( just f0r Example ) it just said no files found ok...
    And there's n0 c:packs folder in my computer... I w0nder f this doesn't w0rk n win7..

----------------------------
    Nothing is true, Everything permitted
    You need to log in as admin, than you go to search bar. Search UAC, than click it. Than pull the handle on the scale all the way to the bottom (like this )

"It's me, Smeagol."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Good news and bad news.
    Good - I have finally unpacked M2TW EDU. Thanks, Ishan, Your command line of .bat file for extracting M2TW EDU file works like it should! Apparently, there was not necessary to use precise&long paths. Unfortunately, bad news are whole two ones.
    First - game does not go after unpacking M2TW EDU andfollowing changes. These are variants I have tried:
    Adding to medieval2.preference.cfg
    [io]
    file_first = true

and setting medieval2.preference.cfg read only
    a) adding to medieval2.preference.cfg
    [io]
    file_first = true

and setting medieval2.preference.cfg read only and
    b) unpacking&deleting
    descr_geography_new.txt
    descr_geography_new.db.
    Game starts for a second and then shuts. I really use to read instructions here carefully, so things like admin rights of PC account, installed game patches ( 1.2&1.3 for M2TW and 1.5 for M2TWK) and dll files pasted into unpacker's folder are things ensured. So, what problems else could be there??
    Second - command line of .bat file for extracting EDU from Kingdoms mods gave no results.
    I have tried:
    a) exactly the line of .bat file for extracting EDU from Kingdoms americas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    For example it's EDU can be extracted from this command:-
    Code:
    unpacker.exe --source=..\..\mods\americas\packs\*.pack --destination=c:\packs\ --filter=export_descr_unit.txt
    - and there was nothing extracted (same nothing with crusades and teutonic but I have not tried with britannia).
    Command prompt returns following info:

b) then I tried to use in command line "unpacker" instead of "unpacker.exe" (this way it was spelled in the .bat file for unpacking M2TW EDU - and it worked). Unfortunately, not this time:
    \
    2. Two more attempts I tried using full paths.
    a) with "unpacker.exe"

b) and "unpacker"

Same nothing happened.
    I really hope somebody would be so kind to suggest how to deal with these both problems.
    And - I have read here people complaining like "so much ado just to change few stats etc." - but, once we have decided to make something to be done, failures should only increase persistence - regardless of the matter.
    Last edited by Wraith.; August 23, 2011 at 07:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Silly question: is that BAT file in the same directory as the unpacker.exe? Because that's what the error message seems to indicate, as well as your path:

C\:..\user

The unpacker.exe is here and your BAT file should be there as well: C:\...\Medieval II Total War\tools\unpacker

Silly is to leave something half-done, not to ask for advice if you cant figure out how to proceed. What concerns the location of .bat and unpacker - they are in the same folder. It already was pointed on this forum not in one topic!

I have used command prompt to copy failure notice - but .bat files I started from their location - in the same folder where unpacker is, just window of failure notice closes too fast to make screenshot! And - when you open command prompt - there usually already is a line: C:\\Documents and Settings\User !
    So - would anybody be so kind to help with an advice?

Blog Entries

Add pause to the end of the bat file in a separate line, that will leave the window open until you press a button. Use (double click) the bat file directly.

Thank, You, Gigantus, for advice.
    At least I was able to read info from command promt window. The weird thing is - after running particular .bat file to extract Americas EDU, in the cmd window pops a message - file was extracted successfully although in the provided destination folder there nothing appears. I tried to search entire computer for all present EDU files and except ones I know no new EDU have appeared - even performing the search including protected/hidden folders/files. I once read here already such a situation described but it was, though, for WinVista user. I have WinXP on my PC, so can't figure out what the problem is.
    And another issue I am looking for an answer - is there necessary to extract&delete descr_geography_new.txt and descr_geography_new.db even if there only sole EDU file was unpacked? The problem is - after extracting this single Medieval 2 TW EDU file (and adding "[io] file_first = true" to medieval2.preference.cfg), game just does not start.
    I am not happy to bother other people with my problems and really appreciate your patience, just only can assure that once would manage to get things clear for myself, I will do the same for other guys needing in a hand. Is not this one of reasons we are here?

Blog Entries

Attempting to provide answers is the purpose of this forum - hence your question will not bother anyone. And the answers will be of benefit ot others as you noted yourself.
    The geography files only need deleting if they were unpacked, which will not be necessary unless you have used the DB or TXT extension in a wild card entry.

May I suggest not to try and modify files in the base folder? In the long run this will mess up your game and other mods as well. Instead use my Bare Geomod installation. it is essential a basic mod folder based on the original game and is available for kingdoms or medieval2. Simply copy the desired extracted into the correct folder there and modify it. The separate folder will make it easy to start again if an error occur.

As to the extarcting: I am not sure what exactly is happening, but when testing myself I couldn't extract individual files myself. Extracting files with a wildcard entry ( *.txt instead of filename.txt) worked without a problem. Even using export*.txt worked (12 files extracted).
    This might have to do with most DOS commands not accepting filenames longer then 8 characters. You might have come across entries like this: export_~1.txt whereas the ~1 entry will mean that only the first file with that name in that directory will be affected. The best way will be to come up with an eight letter combination that extracts as few files as possible (smallest common denominator) and still gets you the desired one. This entry underneath will unpack the EDU and its enum counterpart into the C:\extract folder into the data subdirectory:
    unpacker.exe --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --destination=c:\extract\ --filter=*unit*.txt

Well, once focusing onto EDU of M2TW...
    I have extracted it - using .bat file created according Ishan, but the problem is - game does not even start with this EDU loose, even not modified at all - if there are implemented changes into medieval2.preference.cfg file like here was strongly suggested.
    So, I want to know whether anything else should be changes? For example, target description in M2TW shortcut or whatever else?
    What concerns Bare Geomod, I would try to use it for my purposes. But the things I am looking for are features allowing to modify game as game, using it as it is, not the separate mod - like SS or CCM2.
    Last edited by Wraith.; August 31, 2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: corrected typos

Blog Entries

Changes in the medieval cfg will be reversed the next time you start the game - you need to make it read-only.

You are not getting my point about Bare Geomod: modding the original game in it's original folder will eventually lead you to re-installing the game. Probably on the day when you can't remember what file you modded, or can't find the problem why the game won't start. Case in point: your problem right now.

There are a few inherit nasty pit falls with the original game - like the Ragusa Port bug, incorrect win conditions. All that is already fixed in Bare Geomod, the rest are original files. So why take the risk?

Thanks, Gigantus, for assitance, sure, it was and it will be useful.
    Well, but finally there is something I have to share. For experienced ones it may be not necessary but for people like me, just starting to play this game, it may be interesting.
    I have set as objective to get a regular M2TW v1.3 instalation without significant changes and/or damage to game program - but in the same time with EDU file completely available for adjustments whatever you may wish. This is how I finally got it.
    1. I extracted EDU file, using .bat file, provided by Ishan in this topic - the one containing line:
    unpacker --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --destination=c:\packs\ --filter=export_descr_unit.txt
    and saved it.
    2. Re-installed M2TW as it is - and placed previously extracted EDU file in data folder of re-installed game.
    3. Added into file medieval2.preference.cfg the line:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    suggested here, on forum, to use within mentioned file if game content is unpacked - and marked this file read only, as it was here also suggested.
    4. Added to M2TW shortcut target line:
    --io.file_first
    (It should look about it: "C:\Program Files\...\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first - depending where game is installed on your PC.)
    And that is it, I have got non-ripped, normal game installation, no need to backup data folder, no need to wait hours for unpacking - but EDU file is completely available for changes - as far as you look to change attributes changeable solely by EDU file.
    It is - for sure - not moding but just a way slightly to personalise the game.
    But, if you once decide to return to default values, just undo steps 3. and 4. - and game will be again how it uses to be installed.

Blog Entries

That is a rather complicated way. You could simply change the "unpack to" directory and extract the file(s) somewhere else. It is this part:

unpacker --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --destination=c:\packs\ --filter=export_descr_unit.txt

Changing the directory gives you the option to choose which of the unpacked files you wish to use\copy.

All we need for full happiness - the way to unpack particular folders, like unit_info and units. Have we this opportunity, though, everybody could gain his very own M2TW...

Blog Entries

Look for a common denomination and then unpack. It's only three or for types of files - unpacking by folder is not possible.

quick question...can i delete the unpacked files after im done with them or with that mess up the game?

You need the files in your mod that you have modded, if there is some file that you unpacked via this method and don't want then yes it's safe to delete them.

Foederatus

hi i was reading through this tutorial and tried to unpack stuff but everytime i try to do it then program just keep comming up with the same line over and over agian and doesnt stop. can anyone tell me where i went wrong ?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

What is the line?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast