Thread: Crash Tips

Default Crash Tips

Pressing the Escape button does work most of the time

You will still get the odd CTD. It appears to me the problem is not the rebel turn but a screen that fails to load properly at the beginning of the turn that causes the problem. Be that as it may you can speed up the reload process in a couple of ways.

1. If a faction makes diplomatic advances after your turn for trade rights or some such then immediately lift your finger off the "esc." key and tap the key again and save the game. Do this after every time a faction offer does something. It will save the 5 minutes of watching non-combatants walk through your territory.

2. Open the game options page and toggle the switch "Do Not Follow AI Moves" Then you aren't bothered by endless Merchants, Diplomats, Jihads and Crusades that are simply moving through your territory. This really speeds up the computer moves -- The exception to this might be if you have a Crusade or Jihad called against your faction.
    Last edited by Gray Beard; November 16, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

tjroark83's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Crash Tips

Very nice! I'll have to try that out, although my current campaign is past the point where it levels out.

Do you happen to know what the screen is? This could be critical to fixing the bug.
    "Les gens qui savant peu parlent beaucoup, et les gens qui savant beaucoup parlent peu"

"Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"

No, I have no idea what screen it is; it may not even be the same screen but any of several or all of them that sometimes fail to load. The reason it appears to be a Rebel thing is that the Rebels always move last. But, the reason for the CTD I think is a screen is that it appears the Rebel turn finishes then the screen fades as normal and then it blinks out. I've had way to many opportunities to view this phenomenon.

tjroark83's Avatar Libertus

Hrrrrmm....well, fascinating insight nevertheless. I never considered that angle.

If pressing escape works in most cases, and it is a screen that is not loading, then I wonder whether the game even needs this 'screen' at all?

I will try to sit down tonight and see if I can make any progress here.
    "Les gens qui savant peu parlent beaucoup, et les gens qui savant beaucoup parlent peu"

"Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"

There can really only be three things that cause the CTD

1. A screen is not loading correctly.
    2. An auto save is failing
    3. A corner or bug in the program.

One of the ways to tell if it is a screen loading problem would be to use the cheat code: toggle_fow

Then follow what what happens durring the Rebel turn. You should be able to see if a crash happens after the turn is complete or durring the turn.

In version 1.9 there was a CTD bug that cI alled the Princess bug. It seemed to happen when too many diplomatic initiatives were untaken in one turn and was especially prone when a princess aproached a city. You could, using the toggle_fow, watch and the CTD was always caused by some sort of diplomatic action. This bug disapppeared in the 2.0 version. The trick to avoiding it was to reload and do something different so that the AI did something different.
    Last edited by Gray Beard; November 15, 2010 at 08:03 PM.