Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood and Iron (Franco-Prussian War Mod)

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Blood and Iron/The Victorian Age mod collection

Yep, in fact I already hav Cuirassier and Zouave uniforms implemented, fo the zouaves I just took the uniform from the French Militia in Egypt, a few color changes (and perhaps a different hat) should makme them into proper Zouaves

perhaps you could take the model from aankel to begin in the great war, better than uniforms of XVIIIth century:

I cant wait for some glorious cav action

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Right, here's the more or less finished kepi work:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You're welcome to use it if you want, just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Content Emeritus

300 cavalrymen per cav unit, 250 soldiers per regiment (im not sure If I want to increase them)

Sounds like good sizes m8! Cav charges en masse are so cool

250 inf maby you hsould go for batlaiion scale? 300 cav would be a reigmnt. Cav regimtns were slightly bigger than inf batalions, so those sizes look apropriate. It can be also Cav brigade and inf regiment . But that kill rates would have to be pretty low. No single volleys wiping out half of cav unit.

Content Emeritus

Single volleys will not wipe out half a cav unit, in fact French cav have High armor, because they recently purchased new steel plates and sent their old ones to Brazil. When the Prussians would fire on the dav regiments, they wold find alot of dead lancers, but only a few dead cuirassiers, the armor could survive a needle gun bullet, but the horses were the main weakness. The size of one Infantry regiment is the size of one company, so I tried to make that scale. French cavalry units are all 300, but with the Prussians only the Cuirassiers are large. The lancers and Hussars only have 75 men per unit, meant to be much more maneuverable and lighter, to simulate the new cavalry doctrine of Prussia after the Austro-Prussian War

You are one of few modding teams i am not going to bash. I see a deeper tought behind your work at this point.

I only hope morale will be good aswell and sodliers wont fight liek spartans.

Content Emeritus

Sama and I have worked it so that a unit of Prussians will be able to stick around for a while if it takes casualties over a long period of time. So at losing about 1 man a minute, Ive watched a unit stick around to 90 men. But moving them forward will be difficult to say the least, when they get down to that the only thing they will be good for is guarding, chances are they will be in permanent waver. When on the offensive, if a unit loses alot of men fast, Ive watched them rout with 160 men left, though they will regroup and can be sent in once more. This helps make artillery your battle winners. If your infantry weaken your enemy, your artillery will be the thing that makes them rout by inflicting alot of casualties in a short amount of time. You can then send your infantry forward in a coup de grace to make sure that the enemy infantry will not regroup.

The French on the other hand, well I'm still playing with their stats, though they will be given a greater range than the Prussians, That was the one major advantage that the French had. And I need to try to work out the best way to represent the maain difference in the way the French were trained. There were instances of French soldiers utterly refusing to attack, in fact the French army really didn't know how to attack in any manner other than shock battalions, whereas the Prussians used their swarms to overwhelm an enemy. So I'm still working with the French morale

Dreyse range was around 600 meters, terribly innacecurate but still. Major firefights havent took place on such range anyway so:
    Give french same range but make their fire effective on max range where prussian are compleatly inefficient. Otherwise people playing french will run back and forth delivering prussians a volley. It will be pretty stupid.
    Prussian max range volley kils lets say 1 or misses while french kills 3 for example. The closer prussians get the more fair firefight becomes. You should also use range damage modificator or something to make fire exchanges fair at close range.

French morale wasnt that bad actually in most battles they had less men thhen prussians and were under terrible barrage of krupp guns.
    Last edited by FilipVonZietek; January 15, 2011 at 02:21 PM.

Prussian batalion atacked with 1 or more companies in skirmish order leading the atack fallowed by the rest formed into compaby columns.

:::::::::::::::::::

# # # # #

Something like this

Content Emeritus

Well one can in fact do that all units can go skirmish order
    I added some more units to Prussia, the roster is as follows

Landwehr
    Preußische Infanterie
    Bayerische Infanterie
    Preußische Garde Infanterie
    Preußische Jäger
    Preußische Garde Jäger
    Sächsische Jäger
    Bayerische Jäger
    Preußische Pionere
    Sächsische Pionere
    Preußische Ulanen
    Sächsische Ulanen
    Bayerische Ulanen
    Preußische Dragoner
    Hessischer Dragoner
    Badischer Dragoner
    Preußische Kürassiere
    Sächsische Schweres Reiter
    Preußische Feldartillerie
    Preußische C64 4-Pfünder Krupp Artillerie

With regiment scale all we can do is brigade atacking in regimental columns with 1 regiment acting as skirmish screen. I think batalion scale would be much better 1 infantry unit = batalion, cav (300) = regiment and (75) = squadron.

Those unit sizes fit this scale perfectly, it would be something like 1:2 or 1:3

ALso if you want 250 men to represent regiment keep in mind that arttillery also needs to be scaled, 10 men killed in explosions would equal 40, thus casulties from 1 shell shouldnt be higher than 5 imho.

Will you arm bavarian infantry (not all units recieved it tough) with werder rifle ( it was even better than chassepot) ?
    Last edited by FilipVonZietek; January 16, 2011 at 09:19 AM.

This is pretty exciting. I'd love to help but I don't really know what I could do as I have no modding talents.

Content Emeritus

Only a few were armed with the Weder, many had the Podewils IIRC

Maby give germans 1 limited unit with weders?

Content Emeritus

Nah, I am going to make the different guns researchable techs, so in campaign it can simulate it. Custom battle you will be stuck with Podweils

LordBiggums's Avatar Tiro

Sweetness! I will definitely be keeping a watch on this. Good stuff, and good luck! + Rep

Ok

Another question about weapon range and ground scale in game. If units are scaled 1:4 i suppose its same with ground and ranges. That would give 150 in game range for infantry weapons and around 700 for artillery.

Content Emeritus

Needle gun has a 170 meter range in the mod, arty has 850-1300 depending on the shells

Ive given chassepot 185 meter range
    But ive made it so that the Algerian Rifles has a 220 range, because they were that awesome (a 1 unit limit though of course)