Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Installing BC onto Steam

Thunder from Curitiba's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Installing BC onto Steam

Spartan your BC 2.3 works in dis diretory? Did you play BC? If your answer is "Yes" i'll reinstall my steam in a diferent directory

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder from Curitiba View Post
    Spartan your BC 2.3 works in dis diretory? Did you play BC? If your answer is "Yes" i'll reinstall my steam in a diferent directory
    Yep I installed in this directory and it worked perfectly. You should google how to install steam into a different directory. Generally you just move your entire steam folder into your desired folder.

interesting I'll try this. Thanks for the help spartan. Later I'll back here to tell you if I done it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder from Curitiba View Post
    interesting I'll try this. Thanks for the help spartan. Later I'll back here to tell you if I done it or not...
    Forget to mention that if the game doesn't work the first time, you should do a COMPLETE reinstallation (ie delete game cache, delete medieval ii folders, run CCleaner, restarting computer, install game again). From my experience I find that this helps running the game the second time around.

ok i'll do some "backups" from my steam games and I'll install Stean again, maybe in the next weekend. I don't have enough time during the week beause my studies at University

Ok, bit of a noob here.
    I installed all of the parts in to a new folder in "/steamapps/common/medival ii total war/mods . . " called "Broken_Crescent_kingdoms".
    Got it to start - but after selecting "medieval total war II" in the play menu, I get an unspecified error crash. I have run CCleaner and I am driving a 64-bit Vista HP.
    Any suggestions?

Icon1 Re: Installing BC onto Steam

Gentlemen,

I must humbly apologise for not being attentive to the needs of BC Steam users of late as it has been quite a while since I have responded to your posts and issues. I will attempt to do better in future, and to this end I have complied a number of replies to your queries. They are as follows...

Quote Originally Posted by gugler990 View Post
    Sorry for late Reply, just got back from Vacation. Anyways i got the Kingdoms launcher to run it, The BC loading screen appears and then the Vanilla MTW2 Menu screen, and then Crashes when i try playing the Campaign or Costume battle. Some times only the loading screen appears and crashes without the Menu appearing.
    Dear gugler990,

This problem is occurring because the Launcher is being pointed to the wrong cfg file and/or the wrong BC main folder. Remember that the install instructions for BC2.02 specify two BC folders (one within the other), you want the second one. Alternatively you could give up on BC2.02 and install BC2.3 which, unlike BC2.02, is easy and straightforward to install and play.

Quote Originally Posted by ayad09 View Post
    please help i did every thing but when i run broken crescent from med2 launsher its just runs the normal med2. i have windwos 7 and med2 gold edition. i have been trying to make this mod to run in 2 days!
    Dear ayad09,

Your problem could be caused by the same issue that effected gugler990 (see above) and/or pxroman (see below). Either way there are solutions to your issue so read all of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    Deleted and redownloaded Medieval 2, made sure to completely delete its folder in steamapps/common

Reinstalled BC2, again following instructions precisely. Now it first says I have a unsupported audio, then crashes. And also vanilla M2 crashes on launch now too.

Someone tell me how to do a complete 100% manual uninstall for M2 steam so I can play vanilla again and forget about this mod.
    Dear Graphic,

Simple, go to the Library in the Steam User Interface, right click on the game you want to fix, select Properties/Local Files/Verify Integrity of Game Cache and Steam will completely replace any missing files and make sure the registry points in the right direction. This is one of the Steam features that make Steam so attractive, you no longer have to uninstall and reinstall to fix broken games.

Quote Originally Posted by pxroman View Post
    Ok, bit of a noob here.
    I installed all of the parts in to a new folder in "/steamapps/common/medival ii total war/mods . . " called "Broken_Crescent_kingdoms".
    Got it to start - but after selecting "medieval total war II" in the play menu, I get an unspecified error crash. I have run CCleaner and I am driving a 64-bit Vista HP.
    Any suggestions?
    Dear pxroman,

Visit this link to effect proper initialisation of the BC2.3 game files that are blocked by the Vista OS safety features. Make a careful note of what you read and check further down the thread for issues identical in detail to your issue. The solution should be there. Alternatively you could uninstall Steam and all the Steam games from your program files and reinstall the whole lot straight to your HDD. This will bypass the Vista UAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan_Hoplite View Post
    i used it with steam and it works perfectly. I used the kingdoms launcher which was also used for bc2.02. for mod name i just typed "Broken_Crescent_kingdoms". The path was "...mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms" and for game exe pick Kingdoms. I installed it with UAC and my antivirus program disabled just to avoid any problems. It also helps to run the Kingdoms Launcher through "Run as Administrator" I haven't got any CTDs or errors yet so hopefully it works just as well for other steam users. I didn't have to delete any files or move folders around like with BC2.02. GREAT MOD!!!!
    Dear Spartan_Hoplite,

You sir are a pip. Excellent advice. I hope others are paying close attention to your words.

Announcement

BC2.3 Install Instructions

I have now completed the install instructions for BC2.3 which can be found on the first post of this thread. In addition I have stripped down all the instructions on the first post of this thread to improve readability and therefore clarity.

Ever your humble servant,

GGM
    Last edited by General George Monck; May 14, 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.
    - General George Monck (a great and noble English patriot and gentleman)

Hey GGM, just did all you recommended in the first post but not sure what is meant to happen.... I filled in Squid's launcher thingy but nothing happened!! All the files are in the mod folder where they should be... wondering if you have a command line to put into the Stream Launcher options, which is how I work all the other mods I have off Steam.....

Cheers....

Dear Mateus,

I understand that the addition a command line in the “Steam Launch Options” is used for some of the earlier mods of ETW,NTW and RTW, each of which do not have their own M2TW style Launcher. But for M2TW itself such a command line would refer to nothing in the initialisation sequence, unless of course the Launcher fails to appear at all when you select the “Play” M2TW button. In that case try a command line you think might work and tell me what happens at your soonest convenience.

KBO,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.

Thanks for your attention to us GGM, I'm reading what you have write and I'll see if it'll work (sorry about my english =D)

King Agamemnon of Mycenae's Avatar Tiro

Hi I have just verified med II, created a new folder called Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms in the mods section but when I am downloading the file I get a error code saying

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam|steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms\Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms\data\blockset\middle_eastern\walls_castle\castle_large_stone_wall\keep_castle_large_stone_wall\me_keep_largecastle_big_gate_tunnel_joiner.debugdata

An error has occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
    MoveFile failed; code 3.
    The system cannot find the path spcified.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

I have tried all of the three options but whenever I go to open BC in the Kingdoms launcher it just says that Medieval has encountered a fatal error and must close.

Please help me because I had BC 2.02 working fine until I tried to do 2.3
    now neither work
    Last edited by King Agamemnon of Mycenae; May 27, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Dear King Agamemnon of Mycenae,

This is caused by you installing BC2.3 in to two Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms folders that are arranged in preceeding order;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam|steamapps\common\medieval ii total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms\Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms\

Many files, including the ones you highlighted, will have a separate reference (target pathway) that refers to only one Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms folder and thusly the game engine will not be able to find those files in the first Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms folder and will subsequently crash.

You did not need to create the Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms folder yourself because the BC2.3 installer will do that for you. As you will notice from my instructions for installing BC2.3 onto Steam I did not ask users to create a folder.

You will have to move everything in the second Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms folder to the first Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms folder, then the game will run normally.

KBO,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

Thank you so much, I guess I was just doing what I remembered from BC 2.02 when you did say to do that.
    Last edited by King Agamemnon of Mycenae; May 27, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

I tried what you said and it did solve the error message but then when I try to open it from the kingdoms launcher I get the message: Medieval II has suffered a fatal error and will now exit.

I decided to uninstall BC and redownload it but the same thing occurred.

should I verify the files again? I'm thinking it probably isn't the installation now because i am quite positive I did it correctly and when I tried to reinstall 2.02 so at least I could play that, it didn't work.

I see. I shall summaries what you should have done, and the steps you have missed you can redo;
    1. Move all files from the second folder to the first and delete the second folder (see previous post).
    2. Use KLEA (see first post) to point the Launcher to the correct file.
    3. With the KLEA still open Check the exe is the correct one.

If you have done anything not on the above list you may have to start again from the beginning and follow the instructions on the first post of this thread.

Lastly, do you already have installed;
    1. NET.framework 1.1 (required to run the launcher)?
    2. NET.framework 3.5 or better (required to run the KLEA)?
    3. DirectX 9.0c (required to run M2TW & Kingdoms, and comes through Steam with the game but isn't always automatically installed and you may have to manually do it)?

If any of the above are missing you will have to get them and manually install them (refer to the individual publishers guidance about how, what, when, where, who & why(HW5)).

I hope this helps,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

I have actually manually reinstalled several times but perhaps I will verify all files first then re download the files and go through the process yet again.
    The strange thing is that BC 2.02 worked before I tried to install BC 2.3 so it might be a deeper problem.

If that doesn't work perhaps I will have to reinstall Medieval II and start even father back.
    Thanks for your time anyway though.

Edit: I did check those requirements by the way and everything checked out.
    Edit 2: I just figured it out, I don't have kingdoms patched to 1.5!!
    That does bring up the question, "Where do I get those patches?"
    I am currently on 1.05 i think, do you know any place where I can download them all?

Or wait it says ver 1.05 does that mean 1.5 or REALLY 1.05

As You can see I am really confused here.
    Last edited by King Agamemnon of Mycenae; May 27, 2011 at 06:40 PM.

A several things spring to mind here.
    1. Firstly, I assume you are using Steam to download and run Medieval Two Total War (M2TW), and if you also have the Kingdoms (K) expansion then it is a given that both games are fully patched, more precisely; you will have all possible updates of both games because this is one of the main features of the Steam client software. Just for your reference M2TW patches fully up to 1.03 (some call it 1.3) and Kingdoms patches fully up to 1.05 (some call it 1.5). Therefore if you have M2TW from Steam it naturally follows that you must have it patched up to 1.03 and if you also have Kingdoms the it naturally follows that you must have M2TW patched up to 1.03 and Kingdoms patched up to 1.05. Note however that M2TW does not patch up to 1.05 because 1.05 refers only to the particular features in the Kingdoms game engine and the altered performance of that expansion.
    2. Secondly the Launcher that you "launch" the game from requires NET.framework 1.1 in order to work, and if you have played either game (M2TW & K) then it follows that you have NET.framework 1.1 installed and functioning normally on your computer.
    3. Thirdly the "Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application" (KLEA) requires NET.framework 3.5 or higher to run and if you have successfully used the KLEA then it follows that you have NET.framework 3.5 installed and functioning normally on your computer.
    4. Fourthly M2TW & K require DirectX 9.0c in order to run and if you have successfully played the M2TW & K then it follows that you have DirectX 9.0c installed and functioning normally on your computer.

Heres what to do;
    1. Make sure M2TW & K are playable.
    2. Then delete the folder in the mods folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam|steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms) that has your version of Broken Crescent 2.3 (BC2.3) installed.
    3. Then delete the registry entries for running BC2.3 using the KLEA.
    4. Then clean your system registry with Ccleaner.
    5. Restart your computer and reinstall from the beginning whilst following the instructions on the first post of this thread as closely as you can.

I hope this is of help to you,

Ever your servant,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

I just do not get it.
    I think I did everything right, word for word.
    I deleted the folder, deleted the system registry for bc, verified the files on steam, I re-downloaded the files from file front then put them in the mods folder without making the folder myself,
    ran KLEA and imputed the values letter for letter as what you said,
    then when I go to play I get the same fatal error screen.

I don't know what to do, I guess I will uninstall Medieval and then reinstall it and try the process all over again.
    Thanks for all your time, I really appreciate it. Somehow I must have messed it up and now steam can't even fix it.
    Ah well, nothing I can do now
    Last edited by King Agamemnon of Mycenae; May 29, 2011 at 06:51 AM.

You said,

ran KLEA and imputed the values letter for letter as what you said
    But my instructions on the first post of this thread state

Select: File/New Mod
    Mod Name<Type>Broken Crescent 2.3 (Or call it “Captain Beefheart” if you like)
    Config File<ignore>KLEA will generate this when you find the mod folder
    Path<find>broken_crescent_kingdoms
    in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods
    Check the kingdoms.exe tick box.
    The instructions; <Type>, <ignore>, <find>, indicate what you are required to do at each stage of the process.So the only typing you should be doing into the KLEA is the names one sees in the Launcher drop-down box, which can be anything, you could call it "my aunt fanny" and it would still work. See below;

I use a modified version of BC2.02 to mod map files for the BC3 project, but I named the link BC Mapping.

I deleted the folder,
    I hope you moved all the files out of the second broken_crescent_kingdoms folder before you deleted it because if you didn't then that is why it doesn't work.

I deleted the system registry for bc,
    If you wish to check the system registry then: Start/Run/<type>"regedit"/<click>"Ok"/<Lookup>"My Computer/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SEGA/Medieval ii Total War/Mods/Official/"

As you can see my entry for BC2.3 has the registry key "0006BC_2.3" but looks like "BC 2.3" in the launcher drop-down list. Notice also that I renamed my BC2.3 folder in the "mods" folder "Broken_Crescent_2point3" but I could just as easily named it "Burt_and_Ernie_go_shopping" as it make no difference to mods where the .cfg is located with the the mod folder where the data file resides.

I verified the files on steam,
    If the vanilla game (the original unmodded game) works properly then you will not need to verify the game cache in Steam.

I re-downloaded the files from file front then put them in the mods folder without making the folder myself,
    I'm not sure you will need to re-download BC2.3, if the combined installer adds up to 2.15 GB (2,314,280,004 bytes) then you have everything you need for a successful install.

I hope this all helps,

Ever your servant,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

But my instructions on the first post of this thread state
    excuse me, I meant find the files and what not, not literally coping and pasting.

I hope you moved all the files out of the second broken_crescent_kingdoms folder before you deleted it because if you didn't then that is why it doesn't work.
    What I actually did was delete the whole folder then reinstall it to the mods folder. I.e. downloaded them from file front and ran the three installers and directed them to the mods folder.

If you wish to check the system registry then: Start/Run/<type>"regedit"/<click>"Ok"/<Lookup>"My Computer/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SEGA/Medieval ii Total War/Mods/Official/"
    As you can see my entry for BC2.3 has the registry key "0006BC_2.3" but looks like "BC 2.3" in the launcher drop-down list. Notice also that I renamed my BC2.3 folder in the "mods" folder "Broken_Crescent_2point3" but I could just as easily named it "Burt_and_Ernie_go_shopping" as it make no difference to mods where the .cfg is located with the the mod folder where the data file resides.
    This was the interesting part, when I looked for what you said in the registry editor I only couldn't find sega, steam, creative assembly, or anything of the sort. this might be what the problem is.

I'm not sure you will need to re-download BC2.3, if the combined installer adds up to 2.15 GB (2,314,280,004 bytes) then you have everything you need for a successful install.
    Not 100% sure what you meant by this but, the combined downloads from the "downloads" thing on safari (I don't have a mac, just like it better) says it equals 2,208 mb. I might be adding them together from the wrong source though

To my inexperienced eye, it looks like it is probably a registry problem, although I was not exactly sure where to add the different installer bits.
    Once I again, I really appreciate your time and how you have stuck with me for I really do want to play this mod, since I can't play the earlier version for some very odd reason.

P.S. I first ran into problems when I was installing SS so the registry thing might be due to that. I noticed that it made a thing in the launcher for itself (I didn't have to use KLEA to add it). Just thinking?