Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Installing BC onto Steam

Default Re: Installing BC onto Steam

Dear King Agamemnon of Mycenae,

Please tell me the following;
    1. What is your operating system?
    2. Where is Steam installed to?

Also can you provide a screen shot of the relevant entry of your registry relating to your BC2.3 install.

KBO,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.
    - General George Monck (a great and noble English patriot and gentleman)

King Agamemnon of Mycenae's Avatar Tiro

I have Windows 7 64 bit

Steam is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
    medieval 2 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war
    BC C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms

Actually, it turns out I was simply looking at the wrong place, I did actually find the BC registry thing, it should be below:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by King Agamemnon of Mycenae; May 30, 2011 at 09:23 AM.

Dear King Agamemnon of Mycenae,

Have you read the thread on User Account Controls (UAC) that is linked in my first post. It may be that you ought to install Steam outside the program files folder or alternatively switch off the controls to install the game? Read the thread to see which solution would apply to you situation. Let me know how you get on.

KBO,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.
    - General George Monck (a great and noble English patriot and gentleman)

Hey there. I noticed your first thread about how to run this mod through Steam. It makes since and the program you use is something new to me however, wouldn't it be much easier to use the registry method? Where one creates his own BC mod launcher from within the main M2TW window WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO EITHER RUN THE ORIGINAL M2TW OR ONE OF THE FOUR KINGDOM CAMPAIGNS? I know there was a thread on Steam's forum awhile back about how to do this. I know editing the registry is risky but it would be much easier than uninstalling/reinstalling, etc.. I think most people have installed the BC mod into the right place/folder however, for some reason, it's not running for some including me. I get the error message to. By the way, am I running the original M2TW or the Crusades Campaign for Kingdoms?
    Last edited by gijas; June 15, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Everything done as written and told. Mod is simply not working on steam. UAC off. Really installed as written.Given the number of persons with fatal errors we can stop trying to play it. damn

Quote Originally Posted by Plautus View Post
    Everything done as written and told. Mod is simply not working on steam. UAC off. Really installed as written.Given the number of persons with fatal errors we can stop trying to play it. damn

FORGET WHAT I SAID. This mod is epic. Thx a goddamn lot guys! awesome!

Guys. Make sure you start the kingdoms.exe and choise the BC mod. Somehow Steam and i mean also the installation routine always tryed to start via medieval.exe

Hello General,
    yes, I did see the thread on UAC and while I was installing everything I had it disabled.
    I am thinking of getting an IT guy to look into my problem when he comes to do some tweaking with my computer.

If you can think of any other tips that would be great :
    Oh, did my screens come through correctly, because I have never posted screens before?

edit: I tried undoing and repeating the installation process this morning and I found that the links were out.
    if you or anyone else knows a place to get the links that would be greatly appreciated.

edit2: oh, I tried downloading the torrent file this time and and it didn't work either. when I tried to run the program through the kingdoms launcher it fist said "Medieval: Total War ii has suffered a fatal error and will now close." then something about failing to update once I closed the launcher.
    so steam might be the issue.

edit3: PRAISE THE LORD!! HE HATH GIVEN ME THE GIFT OF BC 2.3!!
    Yes, you have guested correctly, my seemingly interminable struggle with BC installation/steam has finally been fixed AND I didn't even have to use the IT guy I was talking about!!
    It turns out it was a very small thing...
    when I was installing SS 6.4 (?) i changed the launch options in preferences folder to @SS 6.4 as told to do, BUT I didn't revert the changes when I was installing BC.
    This caused an instant error when I tried to launch this fabulous mod but when I found this error I deleted it and now it works!!

Long story short I have a bad memory about what changes I have made to various mods

edit4: I just realized this is my 100th post yeah!! good things come in groups!!
    Last edited by King Agamemnon of Mycenae; July 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

A little late to the party but I've a problem running BC 2.3 through Steam:

I followed the istructions to the letter, with the exception that broken_crescent_kingdoms isn't in

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods

but rather in

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\bcconfig

When I start the launcher from Steam, I can choose to start BC 2.3 from the dropdown but instead of the mod, the original Medieval II starts. I don't get any error messages or the like.

Since this is the first time ever I've installed a mod to a game I'm pretty lost. I'm running Vista 32 bit Home Premium. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: After restarting my machine now I get a double BC 2.3 entry in the dropdown list when I press "play" on the launcher:

Howerver, the problem persists, both entries start the original Medieval II game.
    Last edited by Haroold; September 06, 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haroold View Post
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\bcconfig
    Does this mean, that you have installed Broken Crescent in a subfolder "bcconfig"? If this is the case, reinstall the mod in the folder "mods" as described. MedievalII follows a simple folder structure - if something isn´t in the right place, the program goes back to vanilla.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods

this is the path I installed BC to, hence the mystery. I will try and reinstall BC 2.3.

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

So, This has probably been said countless times, but I'm having problems with BC using my steam version of M2TW.

I've installed it in the correct folder (mods) and when I click the ap, the launcher appears. There's no BC button on the M2TW launcher, so I say "What the hey" and press m2tw. After a glimpse of the BC loading screen, the game crashes. Any advice?

Just wondering but where did the General go anyways?

King Agamemnon of Mycenae
    Oh and did you use KLEA because if you didn't then there is your problem.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Regrettably, GGM had to suspend modding activities due to his real life commitments.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3 !RELEASE! - !PREVIEW! AND !DOWNLOAD!

hey i'm pretty sure i installed everything right but to be sure i'll tell you what i did, i use steam so i installed it to steamaps/common/medieval ii/mods i hope thats right any way my problem is when i start bc the game crashes telling me an unspecified error occurred. any ideas whats wrong?

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.3: QUESTIONS and SUGGESTIONS

I could use some help getting the mod to run, I use steam but i know where all the stuff goes so i'm pretty sure everythings where it should be but when i run BC the game looks like it's about to start but before i get a screen or anything the game crashes telling me an unspecified error occurred. I got this problem with another mod too called Reconquista. Any ideas on whats wrong?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Polishandproud, I've moved your posts here, as this is proper place to discuss the issue.

Unfortunately, I can't help you, as I have no knowledge of Steam. You can either wait until someone else replies or you can search for similar cases in this Tech Help subforum.

Under the patronage of m_1512

oh sorry i tried to find a tech help forum thing but couldn't find one, now i know where it is thanks. Anyway, i don't know if it's a steam problem but have you heard of anything like that happening before?

i followed the steps but when i was in the launcher app chooseing the path it said launcher will crash because there is a space in folder name and i cant get rid of it is there a way to fix or did i jus do the whole process wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SherShahKhan View Post
    i followed the steps but when i was in the launcher app chooseing the path it said launcher will crash because there is a space in folder name and i cant get rid of it is there a way to fix or did i jus do the whole process wrong?
    Never heard or experienced that. Please post this problem in the thread of squid´s tool. You can find it here.

lokomoko's Avatar Foederatus

If you're installing 2.3 does it require 2.02? I'm new to modding so i'm just wondering?