Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Installing BC onto Steam

Icon1 Installing BC onto Steam

Installing Broken Crescent (BC) onto Steam
    These instructions are for those who have Medieval II Total War (with or without Kingdoms (M2TW(k)) via Steam. If you have M2TW(k) from a source other than Steam then these instructions are not for you. Instead search the TWCentre Forum using key words such as Vista, or Windows 7, or Install Problems etc. Then spend several days reading about other people’s problems and make a careful note of the advice given.

Preparation
    If this is your first time installing unofficial game modifications (mod) follow this procedure:
    1. Do your research. Make sure the information you are using to install the mod deals with your particular system and setup.
    2. Be prepared. Make sure you save a restore point prior to any changes you make and make sure the Official (vanilla) game you are adding a mod to works fully by playing it. If the vanilla version fails to work go to this forum, read it and enact any advice.
    3. Be methodical. While installing your mod make a note of everything you do, however innocuous the action. This will help you to track your actions and identify any errors you may have made; it will also provide an excellent source of information for accurate reporting of any issues to the volunteers at the forum.
    4. A clean slate. If you need to start again from the beginning, clean your computer using registry cleaning software that can be downloaded free from the internet, i.e. CCleaner.
    5. Operating Systems (OS). If your OS is not the standard XP 32 bit then; go here if you have Windows XP 64 bit OS or here if you have Windows vista or Windows 7 OS. Make a careful note of the advice given and add to the reputation of the authors (remember to leave your name).

Installing BC2.3 onto Steam

Download...
    BC2.3 from here.
    Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application (please add to Squid's reputation for making this tool)

Warning
    You must read these instructions carefully. Pay close attention to the target pathways.

Install Procedure
    1. Install each part (in order) of BC2.3 to the following target pathway.
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\
    2. Run the Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application (KLEA) and enter these values:
      Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
      Select: File/New Mod
      Mod Name<Type>Broken Crescent 2.3 (Or call it “Captain Beefheart” if you like)
      Config File<ignore>KLEA will generate this when you find the mod folder
      Path<find>broken_crescent_kingdoms
      in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods
      Check the kingdoms.exe tick box.
    Installing BC2.02 onto Steam

Download...
    BC2.02 from here
    Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application (please add to Squid's reputation for making this tool)
    Missing Text Files at the bottom of this post...

Warning
    You must read these instructions carefully. The particular reason why is that this installation method deals with no less than three data folders and two similarly named mod folder and subfolder(s) as well as may files with identical names but different file extensions. One tiny error has the potential to undo your efforts. If such a thing occurs the best thing to do is to start again from the beginning.

Install Procedure
    1. Create new Broken_Crescent folder in the mod folder.
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods
    2. Install Broken Crescent 2.02 to the Broken_Crescent Folder you just created.
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent
    3. Remove these files if they are present; if some are not present just remove the ones that are present.
      At C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent \broken_crescent\data\text
      expanded.txt.strings.bin
      export_units.txt.strings.bin
      quotes.txt.strings.bin
      campaign_descriptions.txt.strings.bin
      names.txt.strings.bin
      export_buildings.txt.strings.bin

At C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent \broken_crescent\data\world\maps\base
      map.rwm

At C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent \broken_crescent\data\sounds
      events.dat
      events.idx
    4. Add or move these files.
      Paste the four text files downloaded from this post to this location;
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent \broken_crescent\data\text
      battle.txt
      shared.txt
      strat.txt
      tooltips.txt

Cut this data folder found here;
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent\data
      Paste it here;
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war
    5. Cut bc.cfg from here;
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent
      And paste it here;
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent \broken_crescent
    6. Run the Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application (KLEA) and enter these values:
      Select: File/New Mod
      Mod Name<Type>Broken Crescent 2.02 (Or call it “Englebert Humperdink” if you like)
      Config File<ignore>KLEA will generate this when you find the mod folder
      Path<find>broken_crescent (lower case or the second so named folder)
      in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent
      Check the medieval2.exe tick box.
    Final Note

Please note that using a mod is not for people who are inexperienced with computing matters, but do not be daunted as there are a great many people here who are both skilled and conscientious, and who will always be willing to proffer advice to those in need. When asking for help please do not elaborate expansively when posting, stick to the facts and include as much detail as you feel is warranted.

Good luck and good hunting to you all,

Your humble servant,

GGM
    Last edited by General George Monck; May 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: New instructions for installing BC2.3
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.
    - General George Monck (a great and noble English patriot and gentleman)

Icon7 Installing BC onto Steam

Good Day Gentlemen,

If you have any issues installing BC onto Steam please contact me by PM and/or post on this thread. I recently wrote some install instructions for steam users but I have noticed some people are still having problems. So I have made it my mission to work out exactly what might be occurring in each case. In order to get to the bottom of this issue please write a journal of your install detailing;

• where you downloaded BC from (give the specific URL),
    • where you attempted to install BC to,
    • some brief details about your operating system (XP, Vista etc.),
    • where you installed Steam (i.e. which part of the file structure in your computer (Program files or C Drive etc.)),
    • which version of Medieval 2 Total War you have (is it the one downloaded through Steam or a disk version you installed onto Steam),
    • and lastly do you also have Kingdoms installed and which version of this do you have (is it the one downloaded through Steam or a disk version you installed onto Steam).

If you are posting to this thread please add some screen-shots of the following files;

• the main Medieval II Total War folder,
    • the mods folder,
    • the Broken_Crescent folder (uppercase)
    • and the broken_crescent folder (lowercase).

God Save Princess Katherine Windsor (and her hot sister),

GGM
    Last edited by General George Monck; May 13, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: The Royal Wedding and seeing the other Middleton Girl
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.

Meng's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Installing BC onto Steam

General George Monck,

I already sent you a message about my problem and well i created the folder "Broken_Crescent" before trying to install it and its still the same problem that i have ... i really dont know what to do
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-11.png[/IMG]

Icon7 Re: Installing BC onto Steam

Dear Meng,

Pease don't worry. I believe that this can be solved, but I do need as detailed a description of how you went about installing BC2.02 as possible. The more detail the better I will be able to identify where you went wrong and what can be done to fix it. Please carefully read the first post in this tread and follow the instructions for report what happened exactly.

Chin up old chap,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

Meng's Avatar Civis

Ok so for the first screen i did like you told me : to create a folder called "Broken_Crescent" in the mod folder, i already have another mod installed as you can see, i hope it wont cause any problems.

The second screen is the folder where i will install BC (so its the same folder that i created earlier)

The third one is the problem, every time i try to install it, they tell me this only after 2 seconds so i guess there must be a serious issue ...

And for the fourth screen well its after the installation ddint worked i checked the new "Broken_Crescent" folder and i saw this

Iam really bad at installing mods and with computer things, sorry iam trying my best to explain you my problem i just hope i can play this mod soon ! if you need any other screens just tell me ! Thanks

Meng,

You have done nothing wrong, you are merely a victim of a corrupted download. At the moment the download links provided by Sean Cappone are not available but once they are you should re-download the BC2.02exe from this thread and try installing again.

Best of luck old bean,

GGM
    Last edited by General George Monck; November 01, 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added a link
    <--Click or be damned-->

Meng's Avatar Civis

Ahh thanks alot ! But do you know when the true download links will come back ?

Anyways thanks for helping me, i hope it was just that the problem

Hello, I would really like to play BC! I have followed the detailed instructions for installing to steam, but the game will start up, showing the BC initializing page( the one with the three awards on top) and then automatically exit to windows! I am unsure of what I have done wrong. My steam is on program files, and everything was where you said it would be, though I only had to remove the first series of text files, nothing from the maps or sounds. I use windows xp, and have both mtw2 and kingdoms downloaded from steam. I have taken screen shots as bmp files, but cannot figure out how to translate them into files allowable here! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, my computer is too slow for TW empires, and I need a new fix!
    Last edited by pseudosalubrious; November 02, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Meng's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by pseudosalubrious View Post
    Hello, I would really like to play BC! I have followed the detailed instructions for installing to steam, but the game will start up, showing the BC initializing page( the one with the three awards on top) and then automatically exit to windows! I am unsure of what I have done wrong. My steam is on program files, and everything was where you said it would be, though I only had to remove the first series of text files, nothing from the maps or sounds. I use windows xp, and have both mtw2 and kingdoms downloaded from steam. I have taken screen shots as bmp files, but cannot figure out how to translate them into files allowable here! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, my computer is too slow for TW empires, and I need a new fix!
    For the screenshots just save your screenshots into JPG files and it will be okay

Thank you Meng! A simple fix!

Quote Originally Posted by pseudosalubrious View Post
    I have followed the detailed instructions for installing to steam, but the game will start up, showing the BC initializing page( the one with the three awards on top) and then automatically exit to windows! I am unsure of what I have done wrong.
    Hello pseudosalubrious,

Yes I had this problem once, back in the day. I notice from screenshot 3 you provided that the small data file in the Broken_Crescent folder (uppercase) is still present. In my instructions on part 3e you should have cut this file and copied it onto the main medieval ii total war data file (and clicking yes to all when the dialogue box appears). Also are you opening BC from the launcher?

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

I copied it, instead of cutiing, however, after doing this, I still have the same problem. I am unsure if I am opening BC from the launcher, I have filled in the fields for the New Mod as directed, and leave the app open, but attempt to open bc from the medieval 2 drop down menue where the BC is now listed along with the kingdoms scenarios. Thank you for your help! Even if I can't get it to work I appreciate the effort very much!

Meng's Avatar Civis

Ok so now i have exactly the same problem as Pseudosalubrious the first loading screen CTD

Okay so the first screenshot is the main folder of M2TW right ? is it in this folder that i must copy the "data" of the Broken_Crescent ? If so where in which place ? By the way i found that a Broken Crescent folder appear in the main folder but i didnt created this one is it normal ?

for the third screenshot its the place i paste the data file ... i think i made a mistake there but i paste it onto the other data files of "broken_crescent"

EDIT : I tried to copy it onto the data folder of the main folder and it doesnt work neither for the "broken_crescent" data folder
    Last edited by Meng; November 03, 2010 at 03:47 AM.

I see,

My instructions can be a bit confusing, especially if you are not entirely familiar with English or you if read it too quickly. It needs to be followed slowly and deliberatively, and as precisely as possible.
    3e. Copy the data folder found Broken Crescent Folder you created (not the data file in the “broken_cresent” folder the installer created). It can be found in this target path, “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent\data”. And paste this data folder onto (not into, i.e. don’t go into the data file just right click it and select paste) the data folder in the Main Folder. If a dialog box appears asking to overwrite select “yes to all”.
    If you copied BC/data folder to bc/data folder then you may have corrupted your install and will have to start again from the beginning. In addition, sometimes the problem is with the Kingdoms Launcher Editing Application where you have to go into the app that sets up the launch options for BC and reselect the data folder and bc.cfg. Remember to select the bc/data folder and not the BC/data folder or the Main/data folder. If you are confused by this post please re-read the Detailed installation instructions for Steam users and hopefully all will become clear. Always pay close attention to the target pathways given as there are a number of folders with the same name.

Good luck and good hunting,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

Meng's Avatar Civis

Yeah my english is not good and sometimes i have to read thoses things twice :S

Hmm so i have to restart the installation ? or i can just delete the data i copied on the bc data and put it on the main folder data ? and if i put it on the main folder data i must cut it from the BC folder ?

edit: okay i restarted the process i ereased everything and restarted what you asked in the detailed installation

i did everything correctly but this appear on the data,text files after i removed the bad files and added the missing one

thoses files became .bin file and i can see the logo of VLC instead of the text files ... i dont know if that is normal
    Last edited by Meng; November 03, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

I believe I have done everything very carefully, however, when I have a chance over the next few days, I am going to clear it all out and repeat the process very carefully. It sure would be nice if the folks at steam could simply make it easier to mod within their downloads! Ill check back here to see progress. good luck.

Icon7 Re: Installing BC onto Steam

Right, I see,

I think it would be best if I spend some time trying to replicate your situation on my computer. I've noted down everything you have done and you seem to have done everything right so I will try and break my install to reproduce your situation. Then I will work on fixing what I've done. Tomorrow I will post what I've found out on this thread and PM you both to let you know I've done so.

I go now to the lion’s den, wish me luck gentlemen,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

Meng's Avatar Civis

Good luck to help us GGM i know we demand alot but we wish to play this mod so much

i really appreciate all the help

Icon4 Re: Installing BC onto Steam

Gentlemen,

I have completed my experiments and I must report that I failed to replicate the particular CTD that you were experiencing. Here is what I did to create a clean install of BC2.02;

I already have my games as a backup in Steam (Steam\Backup and Restore Games\Backup Currently Installed Games\ <select the game you want to backup> \next) [etc 30 minutes per game].

Backup each game as soon as you have verified the integrity of the game cache (<right click on game> \Properties\Local Files\Verify Integrity of Game Cache). This double checks the presence of each file of your game and its date reference against the date reference and file log on the Steam server for that game, thus guaranteeing an up-to-date and clean install [etc 10 minutes per game].

I removed M2TW and Kingdoms (<right click on game> \Delete Local Content\Delete) [etc 10 seconds per game].

I restored M2TW and then Kingdoms, the clean, full patched originals that I download when I first got Steam (Steam\Backup and Restore Games\Restore Previous Backup\browse\ <find the game you want to restore> \Next) [etc 15 minutes per game].

Once restored verify the integrity of the game cache (<right click on game> \Properties\Local Files\Verify Integrity of Game Cache) [etc 10 minutes per game]. Once finished I have a clean install of M2TW Kingdoms with which I can start experimenting with BC2.02 install methods.

I installed BC2.02 into Steam (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Broken_Crescent) [etc 10 minutes].

I then reinstalled a number of times, rolling back to a clean install each time, omitting a part of the process in my install instructions. Here are the results;

Test 1
    I failed to follow steps 3a-d of the Detailed Install Instructions. Result: none, the game worked as per normal. Conclusion: steps 3a-d is only a precautionary measure if either the installer fails to run the cleanup properly, or the game suffers some random script error.

Test 2
    I failed to follow step 3eof the Detailed Install Instructions. Result: the game would load as normal but would result in a CTD if one tries to play a battle or campaign. Conclusion: the exe requires these files to generate some 3D images.

Test 3
    I failed to follow step 4 of the Detailed Install Instructions. Result: the game would load as normal but would run all the video mpegs. Conclusion: the configuration file location is not crucial to the running of the game but does make it smoother and as intended by the developers.

Test 4
    I failed to follow step 5 of the Detailed Install Instructions. Result: the game is inaccessible from the M2TW Launcher. Conclusion: the Kingdoms Launcher Application allows the game to be run via the M2TW Launcher.

Test 5
    I tried to run the game from anywhere except the M2TW Launcher. Result: DOS box would momentarily popup then nothing happens, game will not run.

Overall conclusions: steps 3e and 5 are essential to complete with precision otherwise the game will not run. Also the game must be launched by pressing the play button in Steam and the play button on the M2TW Launcher and lastly the heading Broken Crescent from the dropdown list.

Recommendations: re-edit the Detailed Install Instructions with more abridged target pathway references, a wider array of fonts and colours and lastly a more intuitive layout to improve overall clarity.

Lastly I have a theory about what might be happening. I am hoping you might be able to test for yourselves. I believe that the problem might be with the Kingdoms Launcher Application (not a true problem rather a procedural omission). Because the app changes the registry you may have to restart your computer to activate the changes, because you are restarting the computer for this particular registry change you may have to go back and re-do steps 3a-c after the restart. These files a regenerated when the game is loaded up, so it is good to clean them off your system after a registry change before you load-up the game. Also you need to double check that the info put into the app is correct otherwise it creates an erroneous registry reference, i.e. it points the exe to the wrong data file (in BC2.02 this should be the one in the lowercase bc folder). I hope this reads clearly as I have an annoying habit (my wife tells me) of being overly verbose.

Best of luck to you all,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

Meng's Avatar Civis

Hi GGM,

Thanks for everything first of all

I deleted my M2TW and my kingdoms and reinstalled only M2TW, i followed all of your instructions and the game started correctly but when i was trying to do a campaign it CTD ... so i guess the part 3e was wrong but i think i did everything correctly, no ? Here are some screenshots of it

First, i left the data folder i must copy and past to the main folder and second i deleted it from the Broken_Crescent folder but in both ways it didnt worked

Ok so in the first screenshot its what the data is supposed to contain : the model_strats

the second is to show where i paste onto : in the data folder of the main folder

the third is to show where this folder is placed

and the fourth is to finally show how is the Broken_Crescent folder after the part i did without the data folder

I think today there was some improvement but iam still really impatient to play

I think the part 3e is the mistake, iam not sure at 100% as iam not an expert though

for the bc.cfg file i tried both (your instruction and leave it there it was fine for both )
    Last edited by Meng; November 06, 2010 at 01:04 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast