Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prussian Army Regimental Names

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Prussian Army Regimental Names

Were the ''Towarcryz'' lancers the direct descendent of the Bosniak lancers raised by Frederick the Great, or they were from different origins? If not, what happened to the Bosniaks?
    WARNING:
    The comment above may contain offensive material that may or may not be appropriate for people above the age of 18. The guidance of your children is advised unless you press the green little button with a plus under the avatar.
    Please, please, PLEASE, god... If you give us back Freddie Mercury, we will not only give you Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus... We will give you the whole disney realitystarcrew!!!
    And if you're wondering if it's worth to give up your favourite artist, then we'll throw Jay Z and Lady Gaga in the pool too

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Darkness View Post
    Were the ''Towarcryz'' lancers the direct descendent of the Bosniak lancers raised by Frederick the Great, or they were from different origins? If not, what happened to the Bosniaks?
    I think PoE covered that here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...74#post8344474.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Prussian regimental names have been consolidated into the first post to make users' lives easier.

We probably need to expand on the following statement, by adding the exceptions and clarifications that occured within the Army Prussian orgnaisation. Otherwise there is a danger that readers will take the statement too literally.

Line Infantry
    Each regiment consisted of two Musketeer Battalions of four companies each, a Fusilier Battalion of four Companies, used as light troops.
    My understanding is that the theoretical structure of two musketeer battalions and one fusilier battalion was only ever fully achieved by the eleven regular regiments Nr's 1 through 11. The Reserve Regiment organisation were in various ftates of transition from their former structure to the regulation one.

According to Nash for example:
    Nr12 - a renumbered Reserve Regiment had three battalions but no fusilier battalion.
    Nr13 - had four battalions the 3rd being dressed in fusilier uniforms though not designated as such.
    Nr14 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr15 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr16 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr17 - had four battalions with the third designated as fusiliers.
    Nr18 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr19 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr20 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr21 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr22 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr23 - had three battalions but no fusiliers.
    Nr24 - Unknown

It's also worth stressing that the absence of a designated fusilier battalion did not mean that the regiment had no skirmish capability. Whilst the Fusiler battalion was theoretically given the duty of provding a skirmish screen for the regiment and was placed in advance in the standard brigade deployment. The Prussian infantry regulations stated that the third rank of any battalion would be deployed in the role of skirmishers when circumstances dictated, and letters from Prussian Officers at Waterloo even confirm that Landwehr battalions were deployed as skirmishers during the advance on Plancenoit.

The other thing that makes the Prussia Army of 1815 such fun to collect is was the wide variety of uniforms worn by the above regiments. Very few of the battalions above wore regulation Prussian uniforms, and those that did wore those borrowed from the clothing stores of an existing regular regiment. Others wore British, French, Russian or Confederation of the Rhine uniforms and a few were uniformed like Landwehr. The dress of different battlaions in the same regiment could also vary enormously depnding on where the men in the battalion originated.

So for example:

Regiment N12 -
    1st Bn : Black or dark gray waistcoats, black, gey or white breeches, British, Prussian or Schirmutze cap.
    2nd Bn: 517 men wore the uniform of the Lieb Infantry Regiment, the rest wore a uniform similar to the 1st Bn.
    3rd Bn: Light Grey waistcoats, grey greatcoats, white pantaloons with a schirmutze cap or prussian shako.

Patrician

Thanks for reminding me. However according to Robert Mantle's "Prussian Reserve Infantry 1813-15" booklet which was originally produced for the "Napoleonic Association in the late 1970s - text reproduced at http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/c_resinf.html
    1st Reserve Infantry Regiment: III Battalion was formed from 1st Lithuanian Reserve Fusilier Battalion formerly the 1st Reserve Fusilier Battalion
    2nd Reserve Infantry Regiment: III Battalion was formed from the I Reserve Fusilier Battalion 1st Pomeranian Infantry Regiment
    3rd Reserve Infantry Regiment: III Battalion was formed from the 2nd Lithuanian Reserve Fusilier Battalion formerly the 2nd Reserve Fusilier Battalion
    So it is probable that these battalions were trained as Fusiliers. I would note that Mantle's publication also gives the uniforms for each battalion of the Reserve Infantry in 1815, and he states clearly in each case that the III battalion were issued with black belts, unlike the battalions I & II of each regiment who were issued with white belts; in my view the black belts point towards employment in the role of Fusiliers/skirmishers.

Well it certainly coincides with the habit of designating the 3rd battalion for the fusilier role in the regiment.

Nash agree's with Mantle that the III battalion of the 1st RIR (IR Nr13) wore black equipment equipment and were designated as the Fusilier battalion, and states that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th battalions were dressed in the uniforms of the 1st East Prussian Infantry Regiment. With white crossbelts for the 2nd and 4th battalions and black for the 3rd.

The 2nd RIR (IR Nr14) he claims was dressed in grey caps and tunics until July 1813. From July 1813 the 1st Bn wore a dark blue jacket, and an english style stovepipe shako and white crossbelts. 2nd bn were dressed in an English uniforms similar to that issued to the 1bn/1st RIR being a blue english style jacket, and english stovepipe shako. 3rd bn in a Dark blue jacket, dark blue trousers and white crossbelts, possibly with a French style shako. The 1st and 3rd bn's wearing red grenadier plumes whilst the 2nd wore yellow and green voltiguer plumes. All shako's were replaced with the Prussian model before the 1815 campaign.

The 3rd RIR (IR Nr15) were said to be dressed entirely in grey jackets and caps prior to July 1813. Though there was a gradual adoption of the uniform of their Stammregiment (Parent Regiment - presumably that of the 2nd East Prussian Infantry Regiment). From July 1813 the 4th battalion was dressed in the uniform of the 2nd East Prussian Infantry Regiment IR Nr3.

Patrician

Freikorps 1806-07

Adapted rom "The Prussian Army to 1815" by Digby-Smith - this is not a complete list..

Freikorps von Krokow formed December 1806 in Danzig with a strength of 1 battalion & 1 squadron.
    Freikorps von Marwitz formed December 1906 in Danzig.
    Grenadiere-Bataillon Schmeling raised December 1806 in Danzig from the garrison.
    Füsilier-Bataillon Danielewitz raised in danzig from remnants of 3 Fusilier battalions.
    Bataillon-Garde formed November 1806 in Graudenz from remnants of Garde Infantry & others; transferred to Memel & received title shown in June 1807.
    Grenadiere-Bataillon von Waldenrels raised in Colberg from escaped prisoners of war (POW) & volunteers.
    Freikorps von Schill raised in Colberg from escaped POW & volunteers. Totalled 7 companies.
    Füsilier-Bataillon Moeller
    Grenadiere-Bataillon Losthin raised in Silesia.
    Freikorps von Kalreuth
    Grenadiere-Jäger-Kompagnie von Sell
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; September 17, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: formatting
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician

Freikorps 1813-14

Note this is not an exhaustive list. Units listed below were among the larger ones raised.

Könliglich Preussisches Freikorps von Lützow raised February 1813. Eventually comprised 3 battalions of 4 companies (2nd battalion had a company of Tyrolean riflemen); 3 squadrons of hussars; 1 squadron of Uhlans & 1 squadron of Jager zu Pferde; & a comopany of artillery.
    Auslander-Bataillon von Reuss raised March 1813 from foreign deserters.
    Auslanderische-Jäger-Bataillon von Reiche (some sources haveKönliglich Preussisches Ausland Jäger Korps von Reiche) 5 companies raised March 1813 mainly from Westphalians of the Grande Armee.
    Hellwigsche Streifkorps (Truppenkorps des Major von Hellwig) April 1813, initially commanded 2 squadrons of Hussars from 2nd Silesian Hussar Regiment. Was allowed to recruit troops from enemy deserters & volunteers from prisoners, which resulted in 1 infantry battalion & 3 hussar squadrons.
    Schill's Husaren March 1813 attempted to recruit a corps of volunteer infantry & cavalry from Hamburg. In August due to lack of success this unit was to be attached to von Hellwig's Striefkorps, but it ended up being attached to Vegesack's Division in the Army of the North.
    Freiwilliger Lausitzer Jäger Korps raised late Autumn 1813, reaching battalion strength in October where upon it was passed to General von Thielmann who was charged with reorganisng the Saxon Army.

Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Laetus

I am new to this forum and hope one of your members can help me identify the unit markings on my 1809/39 Potsdam musket. On the butt plate it is clearly marked "2.G.L.W.R. over 2C53".
    I understand the second line (2C53) represents "2nd Companie / Weapon #53", but I cannot clearly identify the actual unit identified one the first line. I can not determine if it is a "Garde" or a "Grenedier" Unit; Landwehr (Reserve) or Infantry Regiment. Can one of your members help me with this question. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by luftmarine View Post
    I am new to this forum and hope one of your members can help me identify the unit markings on my 1809/39 Potsdam musket. On the butt plate it is clearly marked "2.G.L.W.R. over 2C53".
    I understand the second line (2C53) represents "2nd Companie / Weapon #53", but I cannot clearly identify the actual unit identified one the first line. I can not determine if it is a "Garde" or a "Grenedier" Unit; Landwehr (Reserve) or Infantry Regiment. Can one of your members help me with this question. Thank you.
    Hi Luftmarine, I'm not sure how much help we can be on this forum as i understand that the weapon you own was converted in 1838/39 and so the plate inscriptions may relate to a period after the Napoleonic Wars. The information you got from the firearms forum seems to be pretty good, and i would have thought that as firearms collectors they would have more knowledge of the format and meaning of the inscriptions than we do on here. The logic that LWR may stand for Landwehr Regiment sounds reasonable, though I can't think why the W would be necessary. IR is definitely used to denote 'Infantrie Regiment' but the only reason I can think for inserting a W into the notation for landwehr is that LR is easily misread as IR. However, the usual abbreviation I've seen for landwehr regiment is LDWR. But whether that would be used on a weapon is uncertain.

I'm also a bit dubious about the idea that the G stands for Grenadier, as I would have thought that the weapons would be issued at regimental level, so a grenadier battalion would not have it's own issue mark unless it was independant. As this is am old weapon that has been reconditioned and re-issued it's possible the unit it was issued to was a third line unit and I did go through the list of volunteer units in Nash to see if any of their names match the letters GLWR, but none came to light. So, not much help I'm afraid, but then Prince of Essling might have better information than i have.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Hi Luftmarine, I'm not sure how much help we can be on this forum as i understand that the weapon you own was converted in 1838/39 and so the plate inscriptions may relate to a period after the Napoleonic Wars. The information you got from the firearms forum seems to be pretty good, and i would have thought that as firearms collectors they would have more knowledge of the format and meaning of the inscriptions than we do on here. The logic that LWR may stand for Landwehr Regiment sounds reasonable, though I can't think why the W would be necessary. IR is definitely used to denote 'Infantrie Regiment' but the only reason I can think for inserting a W into the notation for landwehr is that LR is easily misread as IR. However, the usual abbreviation I've seen for landwehr regiment is LDWR. But whether that would be used on a weapon is uncertain.

I'm also a bit dubious about the idea that the G stands for Grenadier, as I would have thought that the weapons would be issued at regimental level, so a grenadier battalion would not have it's own issue mark unless it was independant. As this is am old weapon that has been reconditioned and re-issued it's possible the unit it was issued to was a third line unit and I did go through the list of volunteer units in Nash to see if any of their names match the letters GLWR, but none came to light. So, not much help I'm afraid, but then Prince of Essling might have better information than i have.
    Didz......Thank you for your response to my question regarding identifying the unit on my 1809/39 Potsdam musket. I did take another look at the unit marking and it definitely is 2.G.L.W.R. You are correct in your observation that this particular unit has proven to be a challenge to identify. I will continue looking for an answer. Hopefully another member reading this thread may be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks again for your response on a 5 year old thread.

Laetus

Didz........I finally found an answer to my question regarding Prussian Unit 2.G.L.W.R. While conducting my research I came across a copy of the "Order of Battle" for the Prussian Army in 1866 (it was compiled by the Department of Military History of the Prussian Staff, Her Majesty's Stationary Office, London, 1872). After going through the listings for all of the front line units I came across the following........1st Reserve Corps / Guard Landwehr Division / 1st Landwehr Brigade / 1st and 2nd Guard Landwehr Regiment. Therefore my Potsdam musket was assigned to the 2nd Guard Landwehr Regiment / 2nd Companie / 53rd Weapon (or rack number). Even though this Order of Battle was for 1866, the Landwehr units must have been in existence for several previous years. The Guard Landwehr Division also contained the 2nd Landwehr Brigade / 1st and 2nd Guard Grenadier Landwehr Regiments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12